Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Oh cool, a thread I haven't read! I wonder what's going on in he.... oh. Oh, I see.

Vampire Panties posted:

my ChonkyTaco™ is too heavy for what a Taco can realistically carry

Vampire Panties posted:

I have never been happy with the comfort of this truck, and nearly 4 years later and investing like 50% of the value of the truck and its never going to happen.

Vampire Panties posted:

6700lbs as curb weight nearly 50% body weight in additional poo poo. I have nearly 800lbs of armor alone

:siren:

cursedshitbox posted:

It may help to write settings down vs outcome. Eventually you'll end up with a table of what works and what doesn't.
:siren:

Vampire Panties posted:

I dont have anyone

:laffo: I make plans and God laughs, because TRUCK STILL RIDES LIKE poo poo :tbear:

:catstare:

Vampire Panties posted:

please God tell me I'm not rationalizing :shepicide:

cursedshitbox posted:

full time weight.

The truck isn't ruined. You aren't ruined. It's just a car. It's also worth a loving fortune, even if the config is off like it is because it is set up with the right components.
Life is bleeding into setting the truck up which is failing at every turn. This is a self reinforcing negative feedback loop. Sometimes it's best to step away for a bit and work on something else or nothing at all.

:hmmyes:

Vampire Panties posted:

What the gently caress do I do here? I have no idea how I get the emotional energy to move forward with this hunk of poo poo. It seems likely that I'm going to have to sue the mechanic. Meanwhile, truck still rides like poo poo.
I won't tolerate it. None of this is really that important to me. I could be roadtripping in a Sentra and be happier than this. What a clusterfuck.

Vampire Panties posted:

:dogstare: BECAUSE THE DOG HATES THE TRUCK TOO:dogstare:

Vampire Panties posted:

Honestly if I knew Tacomas needed all this weird fiddly maintenance/aftermarket poo poo, I never would've bought it. Thats the sort of poo poo that made me leave Jeeps. edit i might do it

honda whisperer posted:

Unless there are large unposted chunks of testing happening in the background, your approach to diagnostics isn't going to work.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

honestly what honda said, along side that you just keep seeming to toss money at the thing when even you are telling us you can't keep doing so.

Vampire Panties posted:

as a science experiment, I loaded up 250lbs / 30 gallons of water in the bed of the truck as ballast. (a couple of the 5 gallon jugs are hiding behind the ice chest)

Raluek posted:

what happened to the $20 stock shocks you were going to throw on there for a diagnostic?

Last, but certainly not least, we have another very wise suggestion that you will certainly ignore.

honda whisperer posted:

So you changed the trucks weight, tire pressures, low speed shock settings, and high speed shock settings. Now it's different.

I would do one change at a time. Starting with tire pressures. Set them to how the truck will be used the majority of the time.

Test, take notes.

Set the weight to standard use, sounds like fully packed?

Test, take notes.

Make 1 shock adjustment. (To be specific adjust one setting on one pair of shocks, front or rear)

Test.

Adjust.

Test.

This will slowly build a guide book for tuning your suspension. You'll have notes for different conditions, and what changes have what effect.

I haven't seen this kind of goon in a well for a while but it's impressive. I am impressed at the size of the well you are in.

And as someone who doesn't impress easily let me tell you what you need. You need a van. 9500 for this express and it comes with a bed already. Or, if you feel you are truly bold and deserving of adventure, you can get this shorty t1n. And with a little gumption and some new tires plus an air mattress you can take it well above that #vanlife high water mark you've been aiming for (and, not to be too hard on you, attained at least four (4!) times over the course of ownership of the taco).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Here are my thoughts on vans and build outs, but there are a billion vanlife builds out there. I liked these two for T1Ns. https://www.youtube.com/@madetoexplore and https://www.youtube.com/@goldenadvantures2573

Step one: do you want to be able to stand up in your van. If you don't care, then get the best example of an express/savana or an econoline you can find. Get a PPI obviously. I think either are good and you're better off getting the best one you can find for the cheapest vs. going with a particular brand.

If you want to be able to stand up then it depends on how tall you are. Maybe you can get away with a wheelchair van. For example, https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ctd/d/corona-ford-econoline-hi-top-raised/7627482442.html

Otherwise, that puts you firmly in expensive transit or cheap T1N. I chose a T1N for various reasons, but it's really up to you to figure out what you want and then buy based on that. For example, this one is a little spendy but https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ctd/d/san-diego-2005-dodge-mercedes-sprinter/7630505538.html that + an air mattress.

And then?

Put an air mattress in the back, bring a notebook, drive out to the desert for a couple days and write down the things you like and want/don't want. This seems like something you are really bad at. Try actually doing it.

e: don't get sucked into #vanlife and buy a 50k+ van.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

luminalflux posted:

Not that I've ridden in either a taco or a tundra, but my FIL with a bad back went to get a Tundra and could not stand the ride in it, and doesn't like the ride in his wife's Rav4 either. He ended up getting a GMC Sierra instead which rides better for him. Some people aren't compatible with rides in certain cars and that's OK.

How bad an idea are dog grooming vans for a conversion?

Depends on whether we're talking real dog grooming van or something truly classic. For the former, I'd steer clear because they're probably just sitting idling for a lot more time than their mileage. For the latter? Absolutely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
My two cents, stick to an express/savana in any engine config (maybe not the 6 cylinder but it's good on gas) or econoline, whatever is the one in the best shape that you can find. If you want a tall roof, don't just budget 7500 for getting that done, instead get something that's already high roof. And if that's what you want then you're looking at either a wheelchair/handicap van with the lift in the rear, one of the conversion vans like the one with the old TV or a T1N sprinter. If you get a t1n, then you want '04-06 not earlier. And you can get in and out relatively inexpensively as long as you're willing to do some work. For example, I bet this dude will drive out to you. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/tempe-beautiful-2005-dodge-sprinter/7629219907.html And glow plugs are pretty easy, just have to soak them in penetrating oil for a week and then they usually spin right out (unless they don't then you're hosed, but they should). On the other hand, all of this should also be ringing alarm bells in your head where you have to ask yourself seriously about what you're looking for, what's going on in your life and so on that this may not really be the appropriate forum for.

Sell the truck, buy a shitbox and a tent and go find a job and build some community. Work on yourself and in a few years come back to this idea and you'll be happier than if you try to solve your problems with a truck. Or a van. Even though vans own.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
This is a dumb idea. Who gives a poo poo if you hate the ride on the taco? Sell it to someone with all the bells and whistles and let them decide for themselves if they hate the ride or if they get blinded by the bling of all the extras you’ve added. Also, see a therapist. Self care is extraordinarily important.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Vampire Panties posted:

Yeah... imagine if I hosed up the Fox shocks somehow, or somehow the truck fell off the jack stand, or at the most basic level - if the revalve doesnt mean anything. Accutune said they'd take the truck for a week in August and tune it for free, so if I still have the truck then I'll do that.
for the thread - in your opinion, whats the fastest way to sell the truck? I'd think about just trading it in, because shady used car lots would be the type to take that truck & they seem to have the best selection of vans, but I'd have to assume they would rob me blind. Make an instagram post saying FOR SALE and tag smalltruckcampers? FB marketplace could be ok, but OfferUp or :lol: Craigslist seem like an exercise in frustration. I'm going to make a post on Tacomaworld as well, although the whole site :lol:'d at my complaints about the ride quality (and the guy from Upland Outfitters chimed into the thread to say that they spoke to Fox about the valving, and Fox ended up sending them out Performance Elite to test.) Would autotrader be worthwhile?

EDIT

I know this is a loaded question, but how many miles is too many? Seems like Ford or Chevy V8s require a timing chain service between 80-120k. Assuming all the service has been done, is a 150k mile van :airquote: OK :airquote:? (obvs depending on specific van) And another loaded questions - Are Sprinter vans worth it? the super high roof is a big attraction, but there is certainly a #vanlife premium, plus it seems like a lot of models have insane mileage. Also I don't know anything about diesels? :shrug:

Whats the issue with just plastering it everywhere right now? insta, tacoworld, FB marketplace, craigslist. I would definitely do autotrader as last time I sold a vehicle (although admittedly a motorcycle and motorcycletrader) I a higher ratio of serious hits:shitbags from there than elsewhere. Just be direct about what you're selling, take some good pictures of the truck and all the cool stuff it has and DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE RIDE. Let the buyer figure out whether or not they like it.

Sell.

The.

Truck.

Stop overthinking it. Go get a lovely hybrid job you don't want while you're figuring life out and then move on from literally any position other than "soon I will be homeless and I have invested every ounce of frustration in my life into the need to fix this truck and make it work for me." Buy a shitbox. You can sleep in an astro just as well as in a fullsize van if you're convinced that's necessary but otherwise just get the nicest conversion van you can find for the cheapest and go from there. (but don't do this, sell the truck, buy a used prius and figure out where you're going for work before moving on to the next stage of life that involves a sick van buildout).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Vampire Panties posted:

UPDATE

:siren:Truck is listed on Instagram, Offerup, etc:siren:
I'm detailing the truck this weekend and will post purdy pics of it Mondayish.

Good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Vampire Panties posted:

I want something that is very comfortable on the freeway, with limited off-roading capability, that I can take out to the wild parts of North America for 5+ days at a time, in as much reasonable comfort as possible.

Spending an afternoon putting in a <$1k locker is an essential part of my build plan

Hey there, seems like you're experiencing project creep already! May I please suggest once more buying whatever it is once you've sold your truck and then putting an air mattress in the back and just going? Then take some notes. No. More notes than that.

Most of the trails I've seen on the internet absolutely require some caution and clever driving but I suspect you will have bigger issues than 4wd/locking rear diff and you just won't know what those are until you've tried living in a van for a few days. (it's bathroom, shower and cooking).

OK, I spoke too soon. What about... this!

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/595883809193776/

builds character fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 23, 2023