Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I mean, you're adding a not insignificant amount of weight to the truck, running tires that add a good bit of unsprung weight themselves. Without going back to completely stock and building back one (set of) piece(s) at a time, I agree that diagnosing exactly what the culprit is will be very difficult.

I've hauled and towed very heavy with that gen of Tacoma and 4Runner over lovely urban Florida roads. They are fully capable of doing 1/2 ton work with little fuss, although the 4Runners do ride on the bump stops a bit much for my taste. Still, they did almost as well keeping everything straight on the road compared to an old 1/2 ton Dodge with Monroe load adjusting shocks and Timbren bumpstops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

An old cube van would be a decent choice if you want to build it yourself.
My work has a "cab width" GMC 3500 SRW and its tall enough to stand up in with a bit of room to spare. I guess that depends on how tall you are. I'm a couple inches less than 6 feet. Its no wider than the cab of the van hence the name "cab width".

Anywho, its a big box with square corners and square everything. So theres no need to try and even trace the wheel wells to try and make something fit nicely. All that poo poo needs is some 90s and 45s for cuts.
Put a bed in one corner, some shelves above it, a few containers to fit underneath. Some shelves on the other wall. etc etc etc.

I'd be very hesitant to build out a box truck, especially an older one. They leak. They all leak. They leak from the factory. At the rear door, between the box and the cab, at the corners, through the fuel filler tube pass-through (if so equipped), up through the floor, water, water, everywhere.