Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
My personal favorite is the appeal to authority/accreditation. This is a 1337 way to undermine or ignore what someone is saying without being in a position to be criticized without serious effort. If it is a medical issue: "Listen to your doctor, and seek therapy."

Does anyone have some serious posting techniques that they would like to share? White hat posters feel free to try to get meta and threadshit in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Posting

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
:justpost:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well see i hit the reply button, then take a big poo poo everywhere, then post

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Solid fundamentals, the 'just post' mentality.

Have you considered empty quoting followed by another response that's slightly off topic, we can create new ideas by only gleaning from the last page for instance.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Passive Aggreeable posted:

Solid fundamentals, the 'just post' mentality.

Have you considered empty quoting followed by another response that's slightly off topic, we can create new ideas by only gleaning from the last page for instance.

Side note, any of you guys use Discord? It's kinda like posting but faster

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you pun, you've already won

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
I imagine somebody I really respect reading over my shoulder, and how pathetic my explanation of what I’m doing would be if I had to express them out loud to another person.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
So I don't know where I read this, had to have been like 20 years ago. Anyway, it was like a site with all kinda of off-the-wall masturbation techniques and one of them involved getting under a mattress to wank somehow. Real weird, lotta hoops to jump through but you do you. Anyway, it had a footnote: "This one might be hard to explain if someone ever catches you," and I think about that a lot when I hit submit.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Been saying this

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Earnestly speaking I had an epiphany where I wrote a sentence that was a stream of consciousness but I struggled to actually make it relevant in any way shape or form until I noticed.

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Side note, any of you guys use Discord? It's kinda like posting but faster

yes any tips, you can edit to your hearts content no without leaving a trace

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

memorizing the smilies is pretty important but I noticed it leads to less posts from me and I can see how some people might be into that

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

This isn't really a technique as much as it is a glaring mistake but distilling large OPs down to gist invites the low effort posters IMO.

Always consider your demographic before considering making an informative post, although on one hand, you are making a comment that can potentially be seen by many, consider how temporary it is or try to gauge your responses before you post. Gauging your responses can lead you to believe that you might not be as welcome as you might think, this can lead you to accept that you might want to be pretty passive aggressive. I hope this explains some phenomena.

As mentioned before there is probably some sort of endorphin rush to seeing the thread back up to top thinking someone posted something of quality, some techniques, the poster themselves can uniquely pair this pleasure response with their crafted post. Posting can be art, or therapy.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Always snipe

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

this is the only useful thing i could get out of chat gpt on the topic, although I am no well-paid prompt writer (looking into the future already)

"Remember to be respectful and considerate of the forum rules and guidelines. While humor is encouraged, it's important to maintain a positive and inclusive environment for everyone."

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Does anyone have some serious posting techniques that they would like to share?

Try not posting anything at all.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Try not posting anything at all.

then the forums would be empty

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

memorizing the smilies is pretty important but I noticed it leads to less posts from me and I can see how some people might be into that

just cheat.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=showsmilies

and also :justpost:

I try to at least stay somewhat related to the topic. Or just post in PYF, or the cute threads. You just google "cute noun verb" and find some bullshit to post.

"cute pig running"

https://i.imgur.com/NAZ0VQb.mp4

bam perfect cute post, easy peasey. peasy. peesy. Peasy is not a word.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I mostly just post cool or funny poo poo and own my posting enemies op

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Post about cats. And butts.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I do my best posting by not posting at all, I recommend it to all

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

does anyone else post at only half power, and I don't mean like half mast I mean like at half their posting expertise.

sometimes you arent received the way you want to be, how do you maintain calm and post coolness. ?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

Post about cats. And butts.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
cat penises are also pretty funny

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
posting is a lot like jelqing

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

does anyone else post at only half power, and I don't mean like half mast I mean like at half their posting expertise.

sometimes you arent received the way you want to be, how do you maintain calm and post coolness. ?

I post at full bore op, every time all the time

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I think I'm going to try and keep it simple, OP. Just grab it with both hands and kinda bash it against my forehead.

I just get shitfaced, try to be encouraging and positive, and ask people who know more than me what they think about poo poo. That seems to work out.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Thinking to change my posting technique to flooding the report queue, being super aggressive and hostile to almost everyone in a forum I hate, then running to another forum to bitch about how much I hate that forum and everyone that posts in it. Seems to be a good way to avoid probes.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

bless your heart

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

:hmmyes:

In a posting war, raw power and relentless aggression will always win against OP's "refined" posting techniques.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

In a posting war, raw power and relentless aggression will always win against OP's "refined" posting techniques.
A true poster knows they are forever and irrevocably engaged in “the long defeat”.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

there's something fascinating in the idea that I can cling to a simple posting template and waste considerably more of someone's time than would be deemed reasonable.

relentless aggression always gets you probated or banned

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Hello OP.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Hi Slumpy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

My personal favorite is the appeal to authority/accreditation. This is a 1337 way to undermine or ignore what someone is saying without being in a position to be criticized without serious effort. If it is a medical issue: "Listen to your doctor, and seek therapy."

Does anyone have some serious posting techniques that they would like to share? White hat posters feel free to try to get meta and threadshit in here.

Hmm. That last one is what what my mom keeps telling me to do. Helped her after my father died. Maybe I should try it?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Hmm. That last one is what what my mom keeps telling me to do. Helped her after my father died. Maybe I should try it?

So a white hat poster is describably like someone who always is informative, and nice, and has a ton of patience, basically the good guy of the forums. Other people are 'bad' posters and might try to derail threads intentionally or when they 'flare up' unintentionally. Some people are subversive meaning they might have ulterior motives to be mean or create disinformation. Then there are the gangstalking types that use different means to like be nice to the op instead of working hard on being funny (inexistent 2023, nothing is funny anymore) or producing content that fits in with typical standards.

Maybe you should try it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

So a white hat poster is describably like someone who always is informative, and nice, and has a ton of patience, basically the good guy of the forums. Other people are 'bad' posters and might try to derail threads intentionally or when they 'flare up' unintentionally. Some people are subversive meaning they might have ulterior motives to be mean or create disinformation. Then there are the gangstalking types that use different means to like be nice to the op instead of working hard on being funny (inexistent 2023, nothing is funny anymore) or producing content that fits in with typical standards.

Maybe you should try it

I was talking about real life. not posting

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I was talking about real life. not posting

also you think I'm a white hat poster?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

also you think I'm a white hat poster?

I thought you wanted to identify as one, I don't really know you that well.

In fact I really don't know what you were saying anyway, so I went with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I thought you wanted to identify as one, I don't really know you that well.

In fact I really don't know what you were saying anyway, so I went with that.

Dude,
read my rap sheet. I gently caress around and play games