Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Maybe use a different search provider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

It's not like that at all. You are just bad at searching.

maybe when literally everyone else is saying it's gotten worse over the last few years, we have not all gotten simultaneously worse at using google, a service heavily used for decades

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

why should we, if you think google is just as good as it's always been?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I dunno, whenever I'm Bingin' I always find all of my cool webzones and keywords and whateva'

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
In all fairness, Google is a frustrating mess now. Half the first page of results are ads, the other half are SEO bullshit to capture as many terms as possible, pad out an article, and display ads, usually Google's own inventory. There's literally no incentive for them to fix this.

I wish I could say the solution is "Use Y" but literally all of the major search engines suck rear end in some stupid way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

erosion posted:

Search engines don't work anymore, because they don't use keywords anymore. This is probably because SEO was moving dollars around incorrectly and needed to be stopped, and also an insistence among tech bros that AI can predict exactly what you want. Things that were useful but don't work anymore include:

*Using parenthesis to search for an exact phrase.
*Using a plus sign to insist that results must include that exact word.
*Typing more than a single word and expecting all of those words to be included in the results.
*Using a parody term that appears to be a misspelling, for example "shart week".

If I type in "shart week", don't assume I misspelled anything, just give me those results. But that doesn't work anymore for at least two of the above reasons.

I'm not sure when exactly the change occurred but it feels like sometime within the last five years. It just sucks because pretty much any obscured content is impossible to find if you don't already have it bookmarked.

OP I have good news for you about Duck Duck Go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just about every digital service now puts promoted content for an entire page/screen before the primary thing you're there for. "Continue watching", Instacart results, restaurant results on any review or delivery app. The continual decline of anything good is just a fact of life with this poo poo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I think op should search for a freakin clue

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We need to advance forward, into the amazing web 3.0 future.

Or they might have updated to 3.5 already. Web 4.0?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Google works when you set the hidden option to "Verbatim"

thank you to whatever programmer demanded they keep that in the system

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

why should we, if you think google is just as good as it's always been?

It must be fun making up both sides of the conversation!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Analytic Engine posted:

Please to be explaining

Nvm I found it. Nice.

Machai fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 24, 2023

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

You're right! At least at the moment, Google is working more or less the way I want it to, whereas DDG is busted to poo poo and useless.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ah but if you don't have everything defaulted to ddg, you are in fact hitler

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
just bing it

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Truckstop gospel... Shart week picture.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

this is a cool thing with goog maps that's been happening for a while now

Analytic Engine posted:

oh my

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Animal-Mother posted:

It will forever baffle me that every web company deliberately makes their stuff worse.

Imagine you’ve just scored a gig as product manager of a perfect product and you get told to make a product roadmap. You’ve been told you need to maintain an edge as your competitors approach feature parity with your product and also it’s about time to start actually making money.

Also deep down you know you’re a fraud and a gigantic Soylent drinking idiot.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's simpler than that.

They are making more money giving you these results than the ones you want, and you aren't their customer so as long as you collectively keep using it they could not possibly care less about your opinion.

If they start to lose market share maybe, but they make money hand over fist regardless.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Wait a minute, is it Shart Week?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

they should bring back ask jeeves, but make him a chatgpt. and you have to say please and thank you to him and ask for things in proper sentences or he refuses.

no manners, no jeeves. be rude and get nothing, be kind and learn how to build a pipebomb

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

AARD VARKMAN posted:

finding obscure poo poo has definitely felt harder in recent years. also one that I really hate is how google puts shopping and news and random related tags before the "images" button now on mobile. that poo poo loving sucks

now? theyve been doing this bizarre poo poo for what has to be a decade. i never bothered searching up to find out why the hell even, but i'm sure the explanation would only disappoint

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

cumpantry posted:

now? theyve been doing this bizarre poo poo for what has to be a decade. i never bothered searching up to find out why the hell even, but i'm sure the explanation would only disappoint

it was at least usually early in the list if not first but the other day it was several scrolls over and that has me particularly enraged

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

quote:

The situation is arguably even worse in my language, where "Images" and "Maps" are almost the same word ("Kuvat" and "Kartat"). I have to read the links carefully to avoid misclicking. –
ntoskrnl
Nov 7, 2014
this poor loving bastard

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it was at least usually early in the list if not first but the other day it was several scrolls over and that has me particularly enraged

ok so apparently it's based on what you search for and not just random. meaning whatever you searched, google thought there was nooo possible way you wanted to see images of it

if theres a known google goon i want them summoned to a tribunal, this nonsense has gone on long enough and someone needs to answer for it all

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

cumpantry posted:

ok so apparently it's based on what you search for and not just random. meaning whatever you searched, google thought there was nooo possible way you wanted to see images of it

if theres a known google goon i want them summoned to a tribunal, this nonsense has gone on long enough and someone needs to answer for it all

YOSPOS is right over there. Why don’t you go and say hello?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i had to use bing while in china and it didn't seem very great

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The Family Guy plot where Peter gets too fat to pose for the Bing street map camera was pretty funny imho

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Researching products is generally a nightmare on google because it’s google results at their worst. Tons of SEO garbage and “review sites” that lovingly list a bunch of products with affiliate links and the reviews are just a paragraph summarizing what reviewers on Amazon thought instead of any original content.

I basically have to do (request) + Reddit now.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

buglord posted:

Researching products is generally a nightmare on google because it’s google results at their worst. Tons of SEO garbage and “review sites” that lovingly list a bunch of products with affiliate links and the reviews are just a paragraph summarizing what reviewers on Amazon thought instead of any original content.

I basically have to do (request) + Reddit now.

yeah I just use NYT's Wirecutter and site:reddit.com

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I’ve heard Kagi is good from a few different people. I think they all convinced their work to pay for it though. Dunno how I feel about paying for a search engine but I guess they’re at least incentivized not to annoy you too much lest you unsubscribe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Bring back OG Alta Vista.