Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

This is a thread where you post what controller you like and what protocol you don't like, which is Bluetooth.

-Why is Bluetooth poo poo?

They usually prioritize latency over robustness. Companies don't pay enough attention to firmware and drivers. Discrepancies between modulation in devices designed for BT4 like the Switch Pro controller have not been fully made whole. These situations are frustrating, but not hopeless: in the Pro controller case, they're releasing improved support soon. By they I mean Linux driver people. (Add link) Similar improvements are possible with careful modulation (packet handling) design. Basically the Switch situation here tells us that if the timing gets messed up some BT devices will want to disconnect. There's no information there more detailed than that.

If you're somebody who says "I never have trouble with bluetooth," you might have only devices designed for BT5, none of which use BT low-energy. (I think most controllers use BTLE, but please correct me.) And you chose companies who write good firmware and drivers for your case. 

-Why are my devices in disagreement about the difference between a wakeup signal and a connect signal?

The connect signal is the same signal twice as fast, so sickly connections can do this, but it's often sloppy drivers. A workaround is to always use the connect function from your system.

-Why is my controller turning off after five minutes?

In some systems there is more than one place where you can change the default time to sleep, and the two are not linked, or one is set to override the other. Try digging for another settings menu or command. You'll sometimes find that when you change settings like these, your controller will get into the habit of sending the wakeup signal again. If your settings are right but your connections are iffy, try changing settings, applying, then reverting and applying. It's one of those inexplicable, unreliable fixes that sometimes knocks things into place for whatever reason.

-Whatever shall I do?

Get a 2.4 bedongled controller, or a bluetooth controller that also works great wired and a USB cable of the shortest length you will find comfortable for general use. Even if things are working fine now, you can never troubleshoot around possible interference. You might move your stuff around and start getting bad interference.

-What's the best controller?

Gamecube.

-What's the worst controller?

See here

Runner up: N64 MadKatz

-Can I use all my fancy 2023 console controller features at once on my PC?

No, probably not. If you're playing a PC port of a PS5 game, and you're using a PS5 controller, you MIGHT get all the fancy features the console version has.

-What face button layout is correct?

The Nintendo one.

-So should I should buy a Switch Pro controller?

No, go Xbox-style face button layout. It's the most standard. But if another feels better in your hands, that's the one.

-Should I bind my custom controller profiles to in-game actions via the wonderfully robust Steam Input system?

Always.

-I'm a developer. Should I use only steam game actions and eschew hard key bindings?

I'll kiss you if you do.

-Where can I read lots more information in a format that's circuitous and partially outdated?

Here.

-That documentation is detailed and elucidating, but partially misleading with some holes. Is there somewhere else I can go?

No.

-Why doesn't my device auto-pair and BT connect to my PC or peripherals when I plug it in to them?

It should and could if somebody knowledgeable wanted to spend a few hours on it.

-Are there any companies dedicated to improving the robustness of their Bluetooth signals?

Look for yourself

quote:

3.0 out of 5 stars Connectivity issues
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on March 19, 2023
The product has a great design but the controller itself doesn’t have very good connection to the consoles and it takes an extra amount of time to connect to the console if it does at all

-Why does the Bluetooth consortium award certification to devices that don't adhere to their protocols closely enough to function properly?

Beats me.

-What if I'm physically disabled or concerned about repetitive stress?

There seem not to be many great resources for you, but you can search "adaptive controller" and peruse r/disabledgamers. One easy thing that can help is embracing Mouse+Key and controller both and getting yourself in the habit of rotating.

-Why are game consoles and gamepads nearing price parity?

Lol idk it's funny right?

-Should I minimize my deadzones first thing upon buying new gear?

Yes.

-Should I share my helpful controller profiles with the community via Steam?

No, but if you do, be sure to give them confusing names and information-free descriptions. 

If I've made any factual errors, I will happily correct them upon notice. And tell me if this format is annoying to read, I could rework it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

NB: I think there's plenty of room in here for peripherals that aren't contollers, too, if there's no more specific thread for your needs.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 24, 2023

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I use the 8bitdo Ultimate for my PC. My favorite controller is the Xbox One pad. If I ever get a third party controller it is usually PowerA.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want a controller that has better feeling buttons. I think Razer has something with mechanical buttons, but I feel like I remember hearing something else negative about that controller. Are there any other options with that?

I also wish more controllers had some heft to them. Like obviously you don't want a controller to be *heavy*, but a lot are so light that they just feel kind of flimsy.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Mescal posted:

This is a thread where you post what controller you like and what protocol controller you don't like
Hello my name is giZm and I hate wireless controllers because Bluetooth is bad.
The controller I like most right now is the PowerA Fusion Pro 3 Wired Controller, because it is not wireless and has buttons on the backside and its buttons don't break after just a few hours of usage.
The controller I dislike the most is the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, because although it can be used with a cable and its overall features are quite nice its buttons (namely RB and LB) break after just a few hours of usage and that is simply unacceptable for a product of this price category.

In conclussion: PowerA Fusion Pro 3 good, Xbox Elite 2 bad.

Thank you for coming to my TEDx talk.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ytlaya posted:

I also wish more controllers had some heft to them. Like obviously you don't want a controller to be *heavy*, but a lot are so light that they just feel kind of flimsy.

Let me tell you about the Sony Dualsense, which feels comically heavy to me.

Anyway all my favourite controllers are 8bitdo ones, I have the SN30+ Pro in my bedroom for the Steam Deck, a Pro 2 for my PC and Switch and an M30 for emulation stuff. They're putting out a cheaper version of the Ultimate that just has 2.4ghz PC support at the end of the month too which is probably going to be the one I get.

jason3232
Apr 11, 2022
I grew up with Playstation so I've always liked the layout with the dpad and buttons on the same level. The 8bitdo Pro 2 worked really well for me and I hope they would've released a version with 2.4ghz instead of bluetooth only. Here is hoping they would release a Pro 3 with similar features to the Ultimate i.e. Hall Effect sticks, etc.

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.
My favorite recent controller experiences are with that comically heavy dualsense. Getting adaptive triggers and haptics on PC for Death Stranding (Director's Cut), Ghostwire: Tokyo, and DEATHLOOP has been fantastic. I don't even have a PS5. I wish more PC games supported it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I've picked up a few 8bitdos over the years for use with PC, Switch, and Android. Here are my impressions:

8bitdo Pro+
Solid controller, does exactly what it's supposed to. Notably lighter than the Ultimate. The weight and width make it comfortable to use for long periods.

8bitdo M30 2.4ghz
Very badass controller, super light and comfortable, no connection problems, lengthy battery life. Excellent for anything that needs a dpad. The 5th and 6th buttons map to bumpers, and the shoulders are triggers. If I could get one with sticks I'd use it for everything because bumpers suck.

8bitdo UItimate Bluetooth
My main controller these days. Haven't noticed any dropped inputs or lag. The hall effect sticks have very slightly more resistance than the Pro+, and I find it grants a little bit more precision. Hoping to run it until the battery is trashed. I keep the back buttons set up 3 ways: one setting for hold and turbo, another to replace R3 and L3, another for R1 and L1.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
8BitDo Ultimate is my current favorite controller. Has a good weight, feels nice to use, and the d-pad seems very precise. Currently use it on PC (but exclusively with a USB cable) and Switch.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

njsykora posted:

Let me tell you about the Sony Dualsense, which feels comically heavy to me.

That's funny, because that's probably my favorite controller (but it doesn't work that great/reliably with a PC). I rarely do super long play-sessions, though, so maybe the weight is an issue in that situation.

I still wish controllers had more..."solid" button presses. Not sure how to describe, but I don't like the soft/membrane feel to them.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I got a wireless adapter for my Xbox controllers and never looked back. The connection never gets dropped and controllers pair quickly. It's really great, IMO.

I also have an 8BitDo Pro 2 and the Bluetooth connection drops so often (at the worst possible moments) that I've kinda had to stop using it, as much as I like to use gyro controls. I've tried a variety of different Bluetooth dongles but they always end up disappointing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That's funny, because that's probably my favorite controller (but it doesn't work that great/reliably with a PC). I rarely do super long play-sessions, though, so maybe the weight is an issue in that situation.

Oh I love the Dualsense too, the adaptive triggers are loving witchcraft but the thing is probably the heftiest controller I’ve ever used.

Battery life sucks though, I’ve had to charge it multiple times in a single day before.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
wait, people actually use Bluetooth controllers and try to optimize their performance?

if the game you're playing isn't something you you can just laugh off some latency and disconnects then you need something plugged in!!!!

the only wireless controller ever made that was worth anything was the WaveBird. what a beauty.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've spent way too much money trying to find gamepads with d-pads that work well for shmups. The issue I frequently find is that when going from one diagonal to the opposite a lot of d-pads will get "caught" in one of the cardinal directions along the way. This isn't really a problem for most games, like it's not a maneuver called for very often in 2D platformers or whatever, but I do it constantly in shmups and it drives me fully crazy when the d-pad gets stuck in a direction and gets me killed!

I've seen a lot of people talk up the Hori Fighting Commander for shmups, but I've only had bad experiences with them. I bought one and experienced the usual diagonals problem within a minute of use. Read online that the Western-made ones are inferior to the ones made in Japan, so I paid even more money to import one and had the exact same problem. :shrug: I wish they worked for me, I like how they're laid out. Haven't actually tried the newest model, which I linked.

The best d-pad I've ever found is on an original USB Sega Saturn controller that I bought like 15 years ago. Still have it but it's falling apart now so I'm scared to use it, and unfortunately it's impossible to buy another one at this point. Retrobit makes an imitation model, it feels cheaper but I haven't had an issue with the d-pad. My problem has been the shoulder buttons going bad after surprisingly little use. Had it happen to a couple of them now. At least they're cheap.

Did recently find a couple more controllers with d-pads I like. The first is the 8bitdo Ultimate, which works quite well and has convenient back buttons, but it feels super cheap and the rough texture on the grips is just terrible. How sweaty are your hands that you need loving sandpaper on the back of your controller?

The second is the Hori Edge 301, which I only found out about recently. It's like 8 years old but they're pretty easy to find on eBay, which is where I got mine. Only been using it for a few weeks but I'm pretty happy with how it feels. The toggle switch right in the middle swaps the d-pad with the left analog stick, which is convenient for some especially janky indie games which only recognize the stick. The face buttons might be a little too close to the right analog stick for my inferior American hands.

The PS4 controller isn't bad but the split d-pad isn't my favorite for shmups. Having discrete buttons for each direction is great for certain games though, like I thought it was ideal for Celeste because you don't want to be accidentally leaning into diagonals in that game. But the USB cable on it sucks poo poo and I've always had issues using bluetooth on PC. Maybe the PS5 controller is better, I haven't tried it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I have a wired F310...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

8bitdo Ultimate is the best controller. Not only comfortable but convenient and has a beefy battery.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I still love my Dualshock 3s. Yes, 3, from the PS3. They're just the right weight, they last for a full gaming session, and they have that comfortable size and shape that the DS4 threw out for the stupid touchpad.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I’m in the market for a controller for my Switch. Was just going to get the Pro controller but it sounds like that 8bitdo Ultimate is where the party is at?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Bumhead posted:

I’m in the market for a controller for my Switch. Was just going to get the Pro controller but it sounds like that 8bitdo Ultimate is where the party is at?

The major difference in features are amiibo + hd rumble support vs. hall effect sticks, back paddles, and hot swappable control profiles

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Bumhead posted:

Another reason I don't recommend the NSPC is that it has (at least with the Switch itself, perhaps with PC) more lag while wired, and I don't know why or what it means. Could be due to good optimization for wireless, or bad design generally. No idea.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Just put hall effect sticks in my otherwise stock joycons. A few takeaways:

-It's a massive pain in the rear end if you hate fiddling with tiny stuff. The tweezers supplied by the seller did not grip ribbon cables easily. I stripped multiple screws on the case and ultimately had to use a flathead screwdriver to finish the job.
-If you diy, make drat sure to properly close the latches on the ribbon cable ends to secure them in place when you're done. My ZR cable wiggled loose and I had to open it up a 2nd time
-Watch out for the rail lock button on reassembly. The ifixit guide doesn't mention it, but it may fall out at some point. Make note of the simple mechanism before you take the whole thing apart.
-At the end, you'll know thst the case is aligned when the shells snap together. This is touchy because the excess ribbon cable puts slight pressure on the shell.

Fortunately, the sticks are flawless. Massively reduced dead zone combined with provided stick caps make them comfortable and precise. They take slightly more effort to move, and add a tiny amount of weight.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The DualSense Edge is without a doubt the best gaming controller I've ever laid my hands on, and I'm glad it's nice because it costs an arm and a leg. The paddles, hotswap profiles, grip/heft, modular sticks, and adjustable triggers are all godsend features. It took one of the best controllers ever made and made it legendary. I think the battery life is a bit poor, but I keep it plugged in most of the time. I haven't touched my regular DualSense controllers since I got this thing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rockstar Massacre posted:

wait, people actually use Bluetooth controllers and try to optimize their performance?

if the game you're playing isn't something you you can just laugh off some latency and disconnects then you need something plugged in!!!!

the only wireless controller ever made that was worth anything was the WaveBird. what a beauty.

The only time i've ever had my controller disconnect from bluetooth mid-game was when it ran out of batteries...

The biggest annoying point about using a wireless controller on PC is that a lot of games poo poo the bed and don't handle it right if you turn the controller on after starting up the game. so I start a game, pick up my controller, realize it doesn't work and the game is still only listening to keyboard/mouse, and then have to restart the game while it's already connected. Although I think steam input fixes some of this sometimes?

I have an 8bitdo pro 2 and it is pretty good besides one issue: the rubber coating on the thumbsticks is seemingly not very durable since I have twice had a bit get scraped off of it. Maybe it's getting scraped up by the inside of my drawer when I put it away?

Quasius
Oct 22, 2006
I'm looking for a good gamepad I can use gyro aiming on through Steam (Win 11). I have an 8BitDo Pro 2 which mostly works. To get it to connect with gyros, I need to set it to Switch mode and connect it via USB (I have a USB extension cable.) It works, but there's a very annoying firmware (I think) issue where sometimes when there's a lot of action going on, the rumble motors get stuck on full and never turn off. (Some patch notes indicate they fixed the issue, but they didn't.) Only solution seems to be to unplug and replug the controller, but then the SteamInput gyros stop working until I restart the game- this is annoying. :/

So a few questions for you great people:

1) Am I missing some way to get the SteamInput gyros to "reinitialize" without restarting the game?
2) Is there any way to get the Pro 2 to connect in "switch mode" via bluetooth? (It's also paired with an actual Switch, but the Switch usually isn't on, so that shouldn't be an issue.)
3) Should I just be getting a different controller instead? Would I be able to use an 8BiutDo Ultimate in this way?

Thanks for any info!

Quasius fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 27, 2023

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Had the 8BitDo Ultimate Bluetooth for two months and it's been fantastic. Both my Switch Pro Controller and Xbox One controller aren't able to reach more than 90% at certain directions, and instead of getting more replacement stickboxes to repair a flawed design I bit the bullet and got the hall effect controller. I have the dongle plugged in to my PC and it's so nice being able to change between my Switch and PC games with the flick of a toggle instead of having to do the pairing dance each time.

The official 30 day warranty isn't ideal, but their support has been phenomenal so far. It has some teething issues due to what I assume is a firmware initially programmed with resistive potentiometers in mind rather than more sensitive and precise hall effect sensors; I was having issues with additional travel being read when clicking the sticks in, and later while playing Zelda whenever I quick-switch weapons it's often been switching back to the previous item because after letting go of the stick it's frequently measuring snapback in the opposite direction for a huge amount because it sees a large change in magnetic flux that isn't being properly debounce filtered. Every time I email support I get a response within 24 hours with a custom beta firmware to test out that ends up fixing the issue.

I wish the software allowed you to bind stuff like keyboard keys to controller buttons, adjust the default profile, and change the LED brightness, but I figure they need to be as similarly neutered as Xbox controllers to be xinput compliant or something. It's a shame because the paddles are useless on PC as a result, since they don't register as their own unique buttons in Windows. HD rumble is the only thing that would make it a perfect replacement for the Switch Pro Controller, and I wonder if the signal being sent to the motors is the same across devices. If I had an oscilloscope I'd love to see if I could just plop in some HD rumble motors to get the controller I want.

I hope we're at the point where people are sick of busted analog sticks to the point where hall effect sensors are the standard moving forward.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Picked up an 8bitdo Pro 2 after dealing with a cheap wired Logitech for the last 10 years or so. Fantastic controller, I feel like playing Spelunky again.

Not only is the battery replaceable, it can be replaced with AA batteries. Practically unheard of in any tech device.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

All the Xbox controllers do that too, since Microsoft would rather charge extra on their £60 controller for a rechargeable battery.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I bought two PowerA rechargeables for 10 bucks and have never looked back.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

doctorfrog posted:

Picked up an 8bitdo Pro 2 after dealing with a cheap wired Logitech for the last 10 years or so. Fantastic controller, I feel like playing Spelunky again.

Not only is the battery replaceable, it can be replaced with AA batteries. Practically unheard of in any tech device.

Once they put hall sticks in the Pro 2 body it's over. The Ultimate's biggest drawback is the nonreplacable battery.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 1, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

I bought two PowerA rechargeables for 10 bucks and have never looked back.

Yeah at some point I really need to just get some Eneloops.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Battery banks have become ubiquitous enough that if I forget to charge I can plug a USB cord into a power supply, but I do kind of prefer the old way of doing things. When I got my Series X controller a couple years ago I got it with a bunch of Ikea Eneloops which was a good setup. At least 8BitDo internals with lithium batteries have internals that are conducive to swaps later on down the line as they wear down (assuming the form factor is still available by then).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

beer gas canister posted:

8bitdo UItimate Bluetooth
My main controller these days. Haven't noticed any dropped inputs or lag. The hall effect sticks have very slightly more resistance than the Pro+, and I find it grants a little bit more precision. Hoping to run it until the battery is trashed. I keep the back buttons set up 3 ways: one setting for hold and turbo, another to replace R3 and L3, another for R1 and L1.
ditto. though the name baffles me, it comes with a 2.4ghz dongle built into the charger (removable) so i haven't used BT for it ever

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

ditto. though the name baffles me, it comes with a 2.4ghz dongle built into the charger (removable) so i haven't used BT for it ever

They sell a cheaper version that just has the 2.4ghz dongle. And now the even cheaper Ultimate C that has 2.4ghz only, uses normal thumbsticks instead of hall sensors and drops the dock.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Anyone got a good recommendation for a playstation styled wired controller? I use a PS4 controller for fighting games because I like its style of D-Pad over the xbox style but I'm curious if there are any decent upgrades on it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mescal posted:

-What's the worst controller?

See here

Gravis sent me one of these for free decades ago. I had a regular Gravis gamepad and my parrot destroyed the wire. I called Gravis support and asked what my options were. Maybe they took pity on me because I was kid, but they just sent me one of those fancy controllers for free. It actually was a great controller for the X-wing games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tibbeh posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a playstation styled wired controller? I use a PS4 controller for fighting games because I like its style of D-Pad over the xbox style but I'm curious if there are any decent upgrades on it

I use the Edge wired most of the time, just plugged into the wall behind me but communicating wirelessly. The cord is premium thicc and locks in place. Plus you get every other feature and it works great wired to PC. The price is a lot tho.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's also a wired version of the 8bitdo Pro 2 which is god's own d-pad imo, though the cable on the wired 8bitdo Xbox controller I have is offensively long.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do the 8bitdo 2.4g saturn and snes clone controllers come with usb receivers or just receivers for actual snes/genesis hardware? The ultimate seems to say it does, but the m30 and sn30 do not indicate they do on the website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The only receivers I’ve seen for those were for using on real hardware. Else you’re looking for the bluetooth versions.