Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mescal posted:

-What's the best controller?

Gamecube.

rated thread 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

njsykora posted:

The only receivers I’ve seen for those were for using on real hardware. Else you’re looking for the bluetooth versions.

There's a version of the M30 that is 2.4ghz only, I connect one to a Switch via USB dongle. Has to be wired to function properly on PC, and mine has a micro USB port, which is kind of a bummer. I'd get another immediately if it broke. I am unsure if the dongle is packaged with the controller since I bought it secondhand, but 8bitdo does sell the USB receivers a la carte. It looks exactly the same as the Ultimate 2.4 dongle, down to the stubborn pairing button.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 2, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah what does happen if you plug the USB dongle into a Windows pc? Is it completely unusable or just not properly mapped to the xbox controller template or whatever?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
The latter, my computer has no loving clue what to do with it unless it's wired in. The dpad can function by emulating an analog stick, selectable when powering in the controller. No clue about specifics tho, I made a bunch of guesses about settings one night and now it works

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 2, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't get my PC to recognize my 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth controller no matter what I do (plugged in with USB). I want to be able to modify the settings on this thing but no matter what I do I can't make my PC recognize the controller so the Ultimate software won't recognize it either. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas?

edit: never mind, I tried a different cable and it worked this time

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 3, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

90% sure you were using a USB-C power only cable and not a USB-C data cable, because USB-C is a nightmare creation.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Ultimate controller settings can also be modified via the mobile app, believe it or not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, I never tried the mobile app! I’ll have to give that a try, much easier to change settings on the fly.

njsykora posted:

90% sure you were using a USB-C power only cable and not a USB-C data cable, because USB-C is a nightmare creation.

Yeah, that was probably it

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
yo I'm sick of getting stick drift with xbox controllers on my PC and having to constantly increase their deadzone and poo poo. what're my options for Hall effect controllers for PC? it's still just the Gulikit one and the new 8bitdo Ultimate, right?

tbh I love the shape/feel of the xbox controller and I love the couple of fun patterned ones I've picked up, but the stick drift always ends up building up after about 8 months to a year or so and it really fucks me over in games where I have to flick the stick pretty precisely, like Dead Cells. if there was a reasonable mod to slap hall effect sticks into an xbox controller I'd absolutely break out my soldering iron and do it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Bump

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

death cob for cutie posted:

yo I'm sick of getting stick drift with xbox controllers on my PC and having to constantly increase their deadzone and poo poo. what're my options for Hall effect controllers for PC? it's still just the Gulikit one and the new 8bitdo Ultimate, right?

tbh I love the shape/feel of the xbox controller and I love the couple of fun patterned ones I've picked up, but the stick drift always ends up building up after about 8 months to a year or so and it really fucks me over in games where I have to flick the stick pretty precisely, like Dead Cells. if there was a reasonable mod to slap hall effect sticks into an xbox controller I'd absolutely break out my soldering iron and do it.

Bumping this old thread because I'm starting to get pissed off just like you. I've purchased 3 or 4 (honestly forgot) xbox series controllers in the last couple years, the reason being CONSTANT stick drift. I'm so tired of this poo poo and I need to figure something else out.

First I went looking for a controller where you could replace the sticks. That seemed to make the most sense. Only one I found was the Thrustmaster ESWAP (https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-ESWAP-PRO-CONTROLLER-Next-Generation-x/dp/B08HY4R8RQ) but it has pretty poor reviews, mostly saying that the sticks drift even faster than normal and cost a good chunk to replace.

I also found a couple interesting ones, the EasySMX X10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RBLlAgYEo&t=97s

And the Flydigi Vader 3 Pro (although I also saw a more in depth video which opens up the controller and points out some serious cheapness and quality control issues):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GZ7xGWMII

These say they have Hall effect joysticks. I don't really know what that is. Does it limit stick drift in any real way? Would appreciate guidance, and if anyone has tried any of these or has a solution to constant stick drift please lmk

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Play posted:

These say they have Hall effect joysticks. I don't really know what that is. Does it limit stick drift in any real way? Would appreciate guidance, and if anyone has tried any of these or has a solution to constant stick drift please lmk

Standard sticks use a variable resistor to detect movement, which involves conductive surfaces rubbing up against each other which inevitably wear out and cause a host of issues lumped together as stick drift. The Hall effect instead uses a changing magnetic field to detect a variable voltage, cutting out the parts that wear out and cause calibration issues. They'll ideally become the new standard as people get sick of having to buy new controllers every year, especially if any of the class action lawsuits going on about it are effective. They're still relatively new for gaming controllers and have some minor teething issues, but I and everyone I know who's switched to them have been very happy with them.

I posted the minor problems I've had with my 8BitDo Ultimate earlier in the thread, and to their credit they've been very responsive when contacting them by sending over tweaked firmware to mitigate these problems. Once it matures a bit we can hopefully toss the whole Alps RKJXV series into the dumpster forever and ever.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Coxswain Balls posted:

They're still relatively new for gaming controllers and have some minor teething issues, but I and everyone I know who's switched to them have been very happy with them.

Not new at all for controllers. The Dreamcast had Hall effect joysticks in 1998.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hah, I knew I should have clarified for widespread controllers (they've also been in use in high-end sim equipment for a while). If you tear open a Dreamcast controller the Hall effect mechanism is so beautiful, and if the console didn't fail maybe we wouldn't be in this mess today if people noticed that Sega sticks never broke down. The stick not being electrically connected to the board at all is so elegant, the actual Hall sensors are just SMD components flat on the board. The stick being a purely mechanical part with an internal magnet that wiggles around is just magnificent. Like look at this thing, if the spring wears out a new one is a couple cents, or the whole thing could be an inexpensive, drop-in replacement part with no soldering. Swapping springs to customize stick tension looks even easier than with a fightstick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhFkIsV-lE&t=254s

The problem right now is they're being made as drop-in replacements for pot sticks, but the controller hardware and firmware is still programmed expecting a pot and not a Hall stick which is way more sensitive. Before the updates for my 8BitDo, whenever I would let go of a stick to let it center, it would measure high-magnitude bounce in the opposite direction causing some annoying little gripes like selecting the wrong weapons in Zelda (scroll to the weapon slot you want and let go, it snaps back one slot).

https://i.imgur.com/2loeO4O.mp4

They've been experimenting with debounce filtering which has improved it but it hasn't been quite removed. I'm wondering how much of an effect the mass of the stick has; I tried to replicate the same issue with my friend's Hall joycons and coudn't do it once, and the Dreamcast thumbstick was small, light, and had nothing in the way of a textured surface other than those hard dimples. Given enough time they should be trivial things to shake out and maybe even standardize on like the entire industry did with Alps RKJXV thumb pointers.

In a similar vein, the N64 used optical encoders instead of potentiometers. As we've all experienced the failure point in that design was the actual physical centering mechanism and schmutz getting in there. Seriously, look at this wacky poo poo.

https://i.imgur.com/jA7Y8dC.mp4

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The N64 stick is still decent if you replace the old poo poo parts with modern plastic parts that won't grind themselves into dust within 3 months. I don't get the people who replace it with what is effectively a Gamecube stick.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Only problem I have with the Dreamcast stick is that it absolutely shreds thumbs. The controller had some amazing innovations but was an ergonomic nightmare designed to destroy hands with numerous sharp corners on buttons and unnatural angles. I'm still flabbergasted that the controller released to market with a cord that dropped out the bottom.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I am very much on team “the Dreamcast controller was bad”, the d-pad is too tall, the grips too thin and the stick is super uncomfortable despite its hall sensor.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Steam input: does anyone know if it's still possible to do "invert outer ring binding" in today's UI? It's to do the equivalent of hold shift to run, except you stop holding shift to run. The button's always held but released when the stick goes to the extremes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

njsykora posted:

I am very much on team “the Dreamcast controller was bad”, the d-pad is too tall, the grips too thin and the stick is super uncomfortable despite its hall sensor.

this + it also just felt unbelievably cheap, like sub-goldstar 3do controller levels of cheap

i know that's because sega were flat broke by that point but still

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A GameCube controller with left and right triggers and replacing the c stick with another regular analog stick would be completely perfect for all forms of gaming.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That’s just an Xbox 360 controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Fajita Queen posted:

A GameCube controller with left and right triggers and replacing the c stick with another regular analog stick would be completely perfect for all forms of gaming.

The cube controller had left and right triggers, it just lacked a left shoulder button.