Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

trying to jack off posted:

apparently some of the ps5s got so hot they melted usb connections

This happened to my buddy in his like 7th? 8th? Set in bracket and he lost to a sim because of it lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hadn't played in over a month. Started it up a couple days ago and went from Silver 2 up to Gold now.

Roth fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 11, 2023

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Haven’t played in a while but I still theorycraft Ryu combos in my mind palace.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played yesterday and real time theory crafted some Ryu losing strategies. Keep em on your toes with the purposeful derank method.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Haven’t played in a while but I still theorycraft Ryu combos in my mind palace.

What does your mind palace look like? How much real estate is taken up by old memories of wwf ringside posters like "Goldberg Eats Corn The Long Way"?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ja3 ate up a bunch of my time but i just crammed in a heap of matches and am getting closer to diamond. my combos are so wonky from the time off so i had to be on point with my fundies

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the demo for this was fun but the biggest issue I have with getting fighting games is that I am able to get good enough to do all the solo stuff easily but then go online and get absolutely spanked over and over. I would imagine the player base for this game is huge so are there a lot of bad players online I could see eye to eye with?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

my morning jackass posted:

the demo for this was fun but the biggest issue I have with getting fighting games is that I am able to get good enough to do all the solo stuff easily but then go online and get absolutely spanked over and over. I would imagine the player base for this game is huge so are there a lot of bad players online I could see eye to eye with?

Yeah, Street Fighter playerbase is almost always healthy enough to support any skill level by just launching the game and hitting ranked.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yep, just jump into ranked once you start feeling okay with your character in solo. Ranked is pretty good at matching you with people at about your skill level. I made the mistake of going casual first thinking it would be where noobs trained before heading into ranked but there's people of all skill levels there and nothing to stop you from being thrown against people who are really good. Ranked will get you figured out quick and matched up with other noobs.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It seems like you never get matched with someone who has 2000 league points more or less than you which is a good system. It's definitely a grind if you place in Rookie like I did, but it's also really fun.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Battle Hub is the best IMO.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You’re supposed to lose to godlike Japanese masters for dozens of hours before you ever win.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Wormskull posted:

You’re supposed to lose to godlike Japanese masters for dozens of hours before you ever win.

This is the real answer but people don't want to hear it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been losing consistently for 10 years. The payoff for my career will be absolutely legendary

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Punished Chuck posted:

I made the mistake of going casual first thinking it would be where noobs trained before heading into ranked but there's people of all skill levels there and nothing to stop you from being thrown against people who are really good. Ranked will get you figured out quick and matched up with other noobs.

yeah "casual" is misleading, there's nothing on the line but also no kind of matchmaking so that happens

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

my morning jackass posted:

I'm absolutely god awful at fighting games and I've been rocking a roughly 50/50 win rate in ranked. Rest assured there are plenty of other terrible players out there just like us! Also, playing human opponents is *much* better practice than the AI.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

thanks everyone, I should pick this up sometime.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I only do avatar battles and lose every single one

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
Switched from guile over to manon. She's really fun, can't believe I didn't give her a shot before

----------------

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Poco posted:

Switched from guile over to manon. She's really fun, can't believe I didn't give her a shot before

She's great. Really good anti-airs and nothing beats landing that level 5 command grab for me. I still haven't really figured out the best way to play her though

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I hit plat with her, she's fun to use, but she's definitely bottom tier and it can become frustrating how many tools she lacks compared to most of the cast. I'm looking to pick up another character soon but most of the cast is kind of boring to me right now. Jamie is fun but also really lovely and the whole drink management thing is a bit much for now, looking for something a bit easier. I like dhalsim but his combos are really hard for me vs others. Thinking about maybe picking up chun or honda.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

She's great. Really good anti-airs and nothing beats landing that level 5 command grab for me. I still haven't really figured out the best way to play her though

youve got to use a lot of drive gauge to be effective with her which is her major weakness, i've taken to just using drive reversal on a manon that starts gettin and it results in me burning the same amount of meter or less than them

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I've started playing Under Night (anime game for degenerate lunatics) again instead but good luck to all the SF6 imps.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you know it doesn't have rollback yet right. thats later

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I played sf6 at the canadian national exhibition yesterday and today. it was my first fighting game tournament. my goal was to go 2-2 then eat cheese curds and see an alpaca but I ended up doing better than expected. one of my matches got on stream. I lost but this was my opponent afterward

https://clips.twitch.tv/AntediluvianCleverChickenDAESuppy-ZJcKe2h6M3GjNxIf

finished 4-2, 17th/125, met a lot of strong fighters and got invited to locals. I also saw an alpaca

I was going to post this in the games sf6 thread but it is currently in crisis.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

panko posted:

I played sf6 at the canadian national exhibition yesterday and today. it was my first fighting game tournament. my goal was to go 2-2 then eat cheese curds and see an alpaca but I ended up doing better than expected. one of my matches got on stream. I lost but this was my opponent afterward

finished 4-2, 17th/125, met a lot of strong fighters and got invited to locals. I also saw an alpaca

Good job dude.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

panko posted:

that's awesome man

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Charisma 21 disguised as a strange fellow lurker with a funny mustache: Good job my absolute loving HOMIE.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Charisma 21 disguised as a strange fellow lurker with a funny mustache: Good job my absolute loving HOMIE.

lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Wormskull posted:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

panko posted:

lol sorry about that

Barnacle Jim posted:

sweet sig but get out you 03 fag :goof:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

SlimGoodbody posted:

lol sorry about that

durrr

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

alpacas ftw

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

panko posted:

this is the sort of thing i like to imagine people are doing when i hit them with wakeup level 3 super online lol

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

cne gaming garage was my first IRL tournament, since the game came out I had been consistently participating in a monday weekly started by smoking crow until I missed a bunch in a row because summer started truely bappin. my honda bulked up a lot doing goon fighter including getting 2-0 back broken/made humble by evileagle's lily and eating a bunch of taikuni's (idk what their name on the forums is) JP purple in bracket. the weekly is currently on hiatus but b_d hosted an impromptu one in the discord last wednesday that was well-received and drew 9 players despite being conceived two hours beforehand. I wouldn't have put in the effort to get better at the game nor would I have had the confidence to enter an IRL event if it wasn't for the strong competitors in crow's community teaching me "the meaning of strength." :thanks:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

panko posted:

cne gaming garage was my first IRL tournament, since the game came out I had been consistently participating in a monday weekly started by smoking crow until I missed a bunch in a row because summer started truely bappin. my honda bulked up a lot doing goon fighter including getting 2-0 back broken/made humble by evileagle's lily and eating a bunch of taikuni's (idk what their name on the forums is) JP purple in bracket. the weekly is currently on hiatus but b_d hosted an impromptu one in the discord last wednesday that was well-received and drew 9 players despite being conceived two hours beforehand. I wouldn't have put in the effort to get better at the game nor would I have had the confidence to enter an IRL event if it wasn't for the strong competitors in crow's community teaching me "the meaning of strength." :thanks:

This post is way too long

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Seltzer posted:

This post is way too long

lol

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
marisa mirrors are so sick.

----------------