Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256946192/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1683724305

Load up your Boltgun and plunge into battle headfirst! Experience a perfect blend of Warhammer 40,000, classic, frenetic FPS gameplay and the stylish visuals of your favourite 90’s retro shooters.

Play a battle-hardened Space Marine on a perilous mission across the galaxy, as they battle against the Chaos Space Marines and daemons of Chaos.

In glorious boomer shooter style, unleash your devastating Space Marine arsenal as you blast through an explosion of sprites, pixels and blood. Run, jump and charge across huge levels to shoot, shred and slice the worst heretics across the galaxy!

• Dive into a visceral combat experience, complete with viciously satisfying gunplay, high mobility and buckets of blood to reward your skills
• Dominate the battlefield with the awesome firepower and heavy metal of a Space Marine’s devastating arsenal
• Experience the ultimate homage to retro shooters, blending stylish visuals with fluid, modern FPS gameplay

ONLY IN DEATH DOES DUTY END

Is it actually good?

Yes it's the fuckin 2023 GOTY buy it if you have good taste in video games and also if you don't because it will teach you to love good things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Just played the first 1 1/2 levels and its :krad:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On Chapter 2 so far, and i'm enjoying the game for the most part, but the gameplay loop does get a bit tiring. I'm mostly just not liking the level design and how there's really no visual cues for where to go. The layout can feel really confusing, and there's no map.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

BOLTGUN is here for a good time, not a long time

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I said come in! posted:

On Chapter 2 so far, and i'm enjoying the game for the most part, but the gameplay loop does get a bit tiring. I'm mostly just not liking the level design and how there's really no visual cues for where to go. The layout can feel really confusing, and there's no map.

Hmm. :commissar:

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
need map

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Yep, just in the first 3-4 levels I've been 'Where the hell am i supposed to go now?' repeatedly.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

level design is really, really bad. rest is good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Been really enjoying this. Wonder if Khorne and Slaanesh stuff show up.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I feel like if you've made a Doom-a-like and the level design is bad. You hosed up.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Hmm, but there are only 2 good Warhammer games. Can we finally add another to the list? Looks cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's an okay game! The level design is just exhausting to me. But I don't know if I am just an idiot with a bad sense of direction.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Like you have a servicer skull right there. Why couldn't they make it like highlight the next path or something

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Cardboard Fox posted:

Hmm, but there are only 2 good Warhammer games. Can we finally add another to the list? Looks cool.

it's so close to being really loving cool

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cardboard Fox posted:

There's also the alpha for Speed Freeks on steam which is hella fun even as a janky alpha so maybe there will be a second game to add to the list as well as Boltgun (which rules).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's a 4/5 for me, level design could use work and lack of map is annoying, plasma gunners need way better tells for how dangerous they are, the red overlay whenever there's an arena section is completely unnecessary and aggravates the enemy readability issue, it's honestly a bit too easy (only dying against bosses or surprise plasma gunners on the hardest diff), but everything else kicks rear end and is a fun romp.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zoobtro posted:

level design is really, really bad. rest is good

Deptfordx posted:

I feel like if you've made a Doom-a-like and the level design is bad. You hosed up.

in the third act they start teleporting Aspiring Champions in right on top of you, on little catwalks with no room to maneuver

that's where I quit and bought Cultic instead

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Like you have a servicer skull right there. Why couldn't they make it like highlight the next path or something

It does

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it absolutely loving doesn't, it highlights +2 health pickups or random sections of wall

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They should make more of these but as different races, like one where you play an Exarch who can airdash, one where you're and Admech who can summon servitors, one where you're an Ork.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Maybe it's just my Superior Gamer Mind but i havent had any issue navigating, the levels have not really been labyrinthian

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's a skill issue, the solution is very simple: if someone hasn't started shooting at you in 5 seconds of forward movement, you're going the wrong way.

I'm just joking, the game definitely lacks in the subtle (and less subtle) guidance that modern games constantly provide. While the maps aren't a full on labyrinth they are samey and easy to get turned around in. God (Emperor) help you if you're trying to hunt for secrets.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

They should make more of these but as different races, like one where you play an Exarch who can airdash, one where you're and Admech who can summon servitors, one where you're an Ork.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/warhammer_40000_fire_warrior

Monkey paw curls

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSgulYUor8

Jonathan Ferguson gets to talk about Warhammer again. Guy has too much fun doing this stuff.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Game is tons of fun. Excellent sound work on the weapon reports make them a joy to fire. Although I did find the plasma gun finicky at first, once I realized you can hold down the trigger for a three shot burst it became much easier to erase chaos marines.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you can do 5 shots before it starts damaging you

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

where the heck do I go in the city map after i find the shotgun and the key. hate to say it, but the map design is pretty bad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Game is tons of fun. Excellent sound work on the weapon reports make them a joy to fire. Although I did find the plasma gun finicky at first, once I realized you can hold down the trigger for a three shot burst it became much easier to erase chaos marines.

wait you can do what

I was wondering if I was missing something because it felt like rear end to use and not actually effective against heavy enemies like I thought it would be

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hwurmp posted:

in the third act they start teleporting Aspiring Champions in right on top of you, on little catwalks with no room to maneuver
These enemies are pretty much bullshit. I also feel like the visuals overall need to be clearer, especially when you're in a "purge everything" arena – that red overlay/filter is just obnoxious and makes it even more difficult to get a clean read on your surroundings and adversaries.

Space Marines possess transhuman senses and are garbed in the finest of wargear, it is pretty much heretical to suggest they perceive the world around them as this kind of muddled mess. :colbert:

Edit: just finished the game. Hard/Emperor's Mercy difficulty, 12.9 hours played according to Steam. It was OK, I guess? There were acceptable amounts of dakka, with the heavy bolter probably feeling the most satisfying all in all. The (unblessed) shotgun seemed less powerful than you'd expect in this kind of game. Past the first few levels I rarely used the chainsword or charge. The absence of a map feature did not bother me too much, although I did spend a little more time trying to find my way on certain levels than was entirely edifying. As I mentioned earlier the visuals were fuzzy/unclear more frequently than I'd have liked despite the retro/pixelation stuff being all but disabled, which in turn made the combat feel artificially difficult.

Overall not a bad game, particularly at this price point. Can't see myself revisiting it again, though.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 31, 2023

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you're having trouble with Aspiring Champions, just keep shooting them once they go down. Can't rise again if you've been reduced to so much heretical ravioli by plasma blasts.

I just want the developers to know that they finally did the thing I always wanted for the big chain fed machine gun type weapons. Every other shooter ruins them by giving them a rev up mechanic, where they start firing with a pathetic plip plip plip rate when you hit the trigger. The right way to have a DPS delay on your big gun and still let it have maximum hell yeah impact is to just have the player brace for a short bit when pulling the trigger and letting the gun blast full force. Thanks Auroch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bought this game recently and I've been very much enjoying it

Level design has occasionally been frustrating but also I found that there's literally arrows painted on the ground telling you what direction is forward. May have been specific to the one level I noticed them in? Anyways "if I find dead bodies I'm probably going the wrong way" has quickly solved 80% of my getting lost. The other 20% is pretty frustrating though.

Anyways the guns rule and movement is very fun. You go so loving fast when you hold shift. Bouncing around battle arenas trying to blast the chain gunner on top of a cargo container while you fly by at 200 mph feels great.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If you're having trouble with Aspiring Champions, just keep shooting them once they go down. Can't rise again if you've been reduced to so much heretical ravioli by plasma blasts.

Yeah we were talking about it in another thread but my go-to for this is the Volkite Cavalier (even better if it has the Blessing of Omnissiah for the buff it gets on sustained fire). Even on Exterminatus, the Volkite makes short work of the Aspiring Champions and, as far as I can tell, immediately gibs their corpses on death so they can't resurrect.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

this game has phenomenal sound work

THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finished my first playthrough, starting a new one on exterminatus difficulty, I'm sure some of the later level will be a huge pain in the rear end to finish.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Waiting for a 'turn off the red' patch before my next playthrough. If I get a powerup at the same time, all I can do is wait for it to wear off so I can barely see, instead of Double Red.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cardboard Fox posted:

3 - Dawn of War 1, Dawn of War 2, Space Marine :colbert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dropping this game after finishing Act 2, on Exterminatus difficulty. Very solid core combat that sadly doesn't really evolve, enemy design that's alright but gets annoyingly bullet-spongy with weapons having a hard time keeping up and a couple of really lovely standouts*, and level design that's middling at best and complete loving dogshit at worst (designer of the last two levels of Act 2 can get hosed.)

*yes I know Aspiring Champions can be double-tapped to prevent their rez if they damage you. They're still absolutely obnoxious, and their bullshit gets compounded by level design heavily using tight spaces and tunnels, plus surprise gently caress you corners where they can jump you. Ambulls and Plague Toads also get this treatment, and all these fuckers take so stupidly long to kill.

Would've been happier if this game wrapped up in half the time and like 5 bucks off or something. Instead I'm pissed off at how much of a slog it's become; honestly my disappointment of the year.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like a lot of problems in the game would be solved if the shotgun did like 25% more damage

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I just completed the game last night on Exterminatus difficulty.

A lot of criticism of the game is warranted. My problem is the boss enemies are too bullet-spongy, which can make some battles go on for a long time. There is some weapon and power-up meta you can do to take out the bosses rapidly, but those strategies can be complicated to implement, and if you screw it up, you can't repeat the strategy without reloading. The bosses also have line-of-sight attacks that can be devastating, and using cover to avoid or disrupt the attacks makes the combat take longer than it should.

But using the game's meta, one user on Steam was able to complete the game's final battle in about 2 and a half minutes. If you don't use the weapon and power-up meta the final battle can go on for almost an hour.

Spoilers for the final battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-zXI3idz1Y

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I called this one near the close of Act 2. Act 1 was fun as gently caress but it got less fun by the minute, almost, after that. My experience was exactly the same as toasterwarrior's.

Also by Gork imagine making a boomer shooter without an automap. Heresy.

Hitting the taunt button never got old though, and I imagine never would. Rahul Kohli loving sells every syllable. S-tier voice work.