Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Yates posted:

A lot of shows are that way. Breaking Bad was great at the time but time moves on. The Sopranos is another one in that vein. At the time it was awesome but try to watch it now. Just loving awful.

Oh my god lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Colonel Cancer posted:

Never seen it, I don't "do" spinoff shows.

what about frasier tho

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The Simpsons is a spinoff of The Tracy Ullman Show

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Everything is probably a spinoff of the Bible in some way probably if you're crazy enough to look for it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Better Call Saul is a lot better than Breaking Bad and also lmao at the guy who said the Sopranos doesn't hold up.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Overall it was ok but could have been four or three seasons no problem. The arc with his brother was good & glad Kim had a lot to do. Mike was ok but definitely too much fan service.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

Yeah that dude decided to just take it in the rear end because I guess thats what being a good person is in America now. Lets all take it in the rear end folks.

finally, my time has come. i'e prepared my whole life for this moment.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What if you're bad, OP?

Actually you're right. Better Call Saul was an ok show and the last few episodes were a letdown compared to Breaking Bad's last few episodes. It was bizarre that he would talk himself into doing 86 years.

Sopranos and Breaking Bad will always be two of the greatest series of all time. BCS was ok, with a few good moments.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
He wanted to redeem himself in front of Kim. This isn’t difficult people.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I went straight from ploughing through Breaking Bad in about two weeks, to getting bored as hell about three seasons into BCS.

BCS is overall a much more cinematically pleasing show, but it feels so empty. And Jimmy constantly shooting himself in the foot over and over can only beggar so much disbelief that the writers are actually competent and aren’t just looking for whatever convenient plot contrivance they can pull out of their asses on this week’s episode in order to hobble the plot along. Breaking Bad either got incredibly lucky with their writing team, or that same team got complacent with their success and decided to start phoning it in at some point during BCS.

I had to take a break from it and honestly don’t know when I’ll get back to it

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m glad goons don’t actually write anything because man would it suck

bitch i dont even know how to read

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its pretty obvious when looking at Saul's character development over the course of the show that he would give himself up for Kim. Its like, the entire point of the show almost. I don't understand how you could miss the point and be like "Well gosh it just doesn't make sense." TV discussion on this forum can be insane, its like The Office and the whole "I acquit" thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Life in prison + Kim has $ vs 7 years and Kim has a possible lawsuit with a civil settlement. It's completely out of character for him. Taking the plea is kind of out of character, too. And why would he care if he was redeemed. Their relationship was over. It was bad writing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Better Call Saul is a lot better than Breaking Bad and also lmao at the guy who said the Sopranos doesn't hold up.

It is but still the whole show should've been like 1/2 episodes that it was.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

Everything is probably a spinoff of the Bible in some way probably if you're crazy enough to look for it

almost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsUrfiycSts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Westphall

quote:

Tommy Westphall Universe Hypothesis

The Tommy Westphall universe hypothesis makes the claim that not only does St. Elsewhere take place within Tommy's mind, but so do numerous other television series which are directly and indirectly connected to St. Elsewhere through fictional crossovers and spin-offs, resulting in a large fictional universe taking place entirely within Tommy's mind.[1][6] This hypothesis was originally put forward by comic book and TV writer Dwayne McDuffie in a 2002 blog post,[8] as a reductio ad absurdum argument against making strong statements about fictional continuity based upon guest appearances.

In a 2003 article published on BBC News Online, St. Elsewhere writer Tom Fontana was quoted as saying "Someone did the math once... and something like 90 percent of all [American] television took place in Tommy Westphall's mind. God love him."[9]

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Sopranos early seasons absolutely don’t hold up, they’re practically comical levels of bad editing and caricature. Like everyone acts like a Bugs Bunny cartoon of an Italian American.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the best part of the sopranos was when all those italians died

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Goons tripping over their Velcro straps to explain why a popular thing is bad using some pedantic rear end criticisms. :jerkbag:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m glad goons don’t actually write anything because man would it suck

Word

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol The “uh, actually, everything is good.” guy shows up

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pretty wild to think that as time passes and people reflect on a piece of media they consumed 15 years ago that their opinions of it might change

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Toxic Mental posted:

lol The “uh, actually, everything is good.” guy shows up

*i put my hand on ur shoulder and look into ur eyes with soft sincerity* ...Everything is good, brother

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The Fly was bad

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Uriah Heep posted:

*i put my hand on ur shoulder and look into ur eyes with soft sincerity* ...Everything is good, brother

If that's true then how come the show isn't called Breaking Good?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

One of the worst U2 songs, agreed

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jesse, it’s Walter. We have to break the bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Baking Bread

They're mini-rolls, marie!!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

lol that people thought Walt was the hero and then called Skyler a loving bitch the entire time.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zenguitarman posted:

lol that people thought Walt was the hero and then called Skyler a loving bitch the entire time.

And I think as a response to that, Kim is weirdly non-confrontational with Jimmy even when she should be

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Life in prison + Kim has $ vs 7 years and Kim has a possible lawsuit with a civil settlement. It's completely out of character for him. Taking the plea is kind of out of character, too. And why would he care if he was redeemed. Their relationship was over. It was bad writing.

are human emotions like, foreign abstract concepts to you or something?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Howard ruled. Team Howard.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The first few episodes or even the first season or two of most acclaimed shows are typically not that good, so when you go back and watch them after a long time, you have to take that into consideration.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

R.L. Stine posted:

you could post this on reddit unironically and get 5 million upvotes

Man, that many upvotes could solve a LOT of problems for me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Watching Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul sigma male edits thrown at you on YT is the ideal way to watch the show. No padding, you just flit from keystone moment to keystone moment and dorkasses in the comments spell out what happened in-between.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I mean yeah it's not difficult and it's not that good lmao

"He did it for love" is one of those theses that sounds profound but much like how Breaking Bad works much better as a show to talk about than a show to watch, it only works when you've really built and sold every moment that the audience truly believes this man would not have done anything else. Breaking Bad ultimately did sell it. The Sopranos sold it. Better Call Saul? Idk didn't watch it, it couldn't keep my interest, which is a shame because I love the actors and if you want to see Latino men in Hollywood with speaking parts greater than 3-5 lines it's basically that franchise or nothing.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Watching Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul sigma male edits thrown at you on YT is the ideal way to watch the show. No padding, you just flit from keystone moment to keystone moment and dorkasses in the comments spell out what happened in-between.

I mean yeah it's not difficult and it's not that good lmao

"He did it for love" is one of those theses that sounds profound but much like how Breaking Bad works much better as a show to talk about than a show to watch, it only works when you've really built and sold every moment that the audience truly believes this man would not have done anything else. Breaking Bad ultimately did sell it. The Sopranos sold it. Better Call Saul? Idk didn't watch it, it couldn't keep my interest, which is a shame because I love the actors and if you want to see Latino men in Hollywood with speaking parts greater than 3-5 lines it's basically that franchise or nothing.

How can you write all of this stuff about the ending a show you didn't watch?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

i also thought the last few episodes were dumb

like "lol it's a tragedy so we gotta gently caress his life up even more!!!"

Saul was the worst part, should have just been the Mike, Gus, and Lalo show.

i would love just a show of Mike going around and making workplaces better.

I was into Better Call Saul until they started loving with Howard for no good reason. And then his murder. Yeah at that time I just checked out and knew there was nothing better coming because clearly Saul survives.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

How can you write all of this stuff about the ending a show you didn't watch?
Now who's misunderstanding what's right in front of them?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The whole second half of the last season was not very good. I binged 1-5 and had to wait a bit for season 6. After finishing 5 my thoughts were if this show has a strong finale it could surpass Breaking Bad in quality.

It did not. I didn't hate it, it's just so milquetoast.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I loved BCS, and a lot of that was because I'm a sucker for indulgent cinematic sequences and the show was loaded with them.

But the ending, I was hyped up for it all of last summer and then it happened and I was just like, hmm, okay, fine. Like, when you consider everything it's an appropriate ending that makes sense, it's just not a very entertaining one. I do think Saul's decision to reverse the slap on the wrist he had successfully manipulated himself into would have been more impactful if it wasn't shown to be a snap decision on the plane to his trial, but instead something revealed that he had been planning all along. As it was, it made the final courtroom scene feel like they were just checking off the remaining boxes on a narrative list.

I can't blame them for playing it really safe with the ending though when so many shows in recent memory have been all but erased from pop culture history (Game of Thrones, for example) due to failing the landing.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i liked better call saul because they had apex twins and todd terje songs, and when i heard them i was like 'i know what that is.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Pretty wild to think that as time passes and people reflect on a piece of media they consumed 15 years ago that their opinions of it might change

house is less good than i remembered in some ways, and just as good in others

leverage is still just plain good

lie to me... it had good delivery and direction but what a stinker

Icochet posted:

Howard ruled. Team Howard.

jimmy loving with howard ruled. just lmao. he got done dirty tho