Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the game bad?
This poll is closed.
Yes 52 23.32%
No 16 7.17%
facuk u op!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 39 17.49%
Goku 116 52.02%
Total: 161 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goatface posted:

The story won't be finished until they release part 2 when the new consoles come out.

Lol they didn't actually end on a "To be continued!" did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Gollum is a selfish lover.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OK for real most of your posts have been trying way too hard but this one is good. Really good.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

goatface posted:

The story won't be finished until they release part 2 when the new consoles come out.

Lol, its the curse of LotR: Volume 1 for the SNES all over again!
My heart still waits on Volume 2...

For anyone who doesn't know, Volume 1 tried to do so many ambitious things and was so close to being amazing, but the broad experience came out severely under cooked. It's probably the most frustrating failure from that era because the whole time you were playing you could see what they were trying to do and wanted to like it, but the execution always came up short. I think it's the SNES game with the most potential to be improved by a comprehensive overhaul hack.

First you'd have to fix the ally AI for following and combat, then add a system to rez party members when they die. Upgrade from 4-way to 8-way movement, and add the walk and attack animations for the diagonals. Speed up the attack animations slightly and add a couple more low level mobs for variety. Add combat complexity with mid tier mobs that you need to parry to counterattack. Add a couple more mini-bosses, and wraith encounters where you have no choice but to run. Make text smaller and faster to read. Spice up the objectives and flavor text. Expand upon the beautiful but limited background tile-sets, and then completely overhaul the maps and add more landmarks for navigation. Add a couple more landscape themes, locations, and events from the book.

Oh, and it's supposed to be a 4 player game so you should be able to get Sam Pippin and Merry in your party within minutes instead of having Frodo wander the caves alone for three loving hours cause Sam doesn't give a gently caress about you or your quest unless you find the Gaffer's glasses for him.

This game certainly needs a lot of tune ups, but there is one part that is almost perfect. The music. Although the playlist is short, two of the songs are among my favorite on the SNES, and they perfectly evoke the tone of Lord of the Rings.

Main theme, Hobbiton, etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIVqh8vNFeU

Kickass piano cover of Main/Hobbiton (GOES HARD) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79mQvECTDTc

Stunt-Puffin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 7, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Satan not even bothering to hide his discord sowing anymore

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

of course gollum would post on loving GameFAQs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

You know what they say, as goes tzar_666, so goes the country

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A second Gollum game has hit the market?!?!?!?!? Rumors suggest it is Tom Bombadil instead

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1668647337147744256?s=20

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm pretty certain this is what J.R.R. Tolkien intended, that LOTR continues to be exploited

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Make a gameboy advance sequel to the turn based tactics LOTR game you cowards

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The game fails to load properly during a cutscene and just kills the player

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1669063713687760896?s=20

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Why do the elves all look like that, what's with the puffy eyes? Is it a rendering error, or did they truly believe that was the right call?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I still have no idea why they gave Gollum a Moe haircut.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I still have no idea why they gave Gollum a Moe haircut.

It's a Tak And The Power Of Juju haircut OP. Also note the noses.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
People are giving Gollum poo poo for being weird and ugly looking, but that's what French developers genuinely think an appealing video game mascot looks like.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bus hustler posted:

The game fails to load properly during a cutscene and just kills the player

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1669063713687760896?s=20

Literal :lol:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
why does the elf have eyes like that

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think the people who made the game just really didn't like Gollum. Like on a personal level or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

EorayMel posted:

It's a Tak And The Power Of Juju haircut OP. Also note the noses.

Yeah but he shouldn't have any hair at all then. In the movie he just has some pathetic strands of hair. It'd look terrible with their graphics though.

Why give him hair at all? It doesn't even look like Gollum.

Wtf is wrong with these people?

Disco Pope posted:

French developers

Ah.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

dr_rat posted:

Unless the game ends with “press F to bite that little fucker’s finger right off” it kind of has to be a “to be continued” right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good Lord of the Rings Game: Deep Rock Galactic: Moria Edition, Frodo Stranding

Bad Lord of the Rings Game: Maybe the Mouth of Sauron was a Deep and Complex Character

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 were awesome.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The LotR card game isn't bad but its extremely content poor.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I don’t know why people are making fun of this game I’ve already beaten it and gotten all achievements. I’m on my third play through and haven’t encountered a single bug, one of the best games ever

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Barudak posted:

Good Lord of the Rings Game: Deep Rock Galactic: Moria Edition, Frodo Stranding

Bad Lord of the Rings Game: Maybe the Mouth of Sauron was a Deep and Complex Character

You forgot the 1980s ms-dos text adventure where you can get high on pipeweed and murder your hobbit friends and throw a bong at the ring wraiths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc99nX_eN2k&t=348s

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I refuse to click that link, nothing could possibly paint a better picture than the image you just put in my head

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Pirate Radar posted:

Unless the game ends with “press F to bite that little fucker’s finger right off” it kind of has to be a “to be continued” right?

Porque No los Dos?

No, seriously, the ending is worse than anyone could have imagined. The last action you take in the game is a choice of whether or not you want to kill a bird after the elf that gollum is with friendzones him for elf chad. Then gollum somehow enter Moria and goes even more insane.

It’s truly mind boggling that this game was made.

dr_rat posted:

Not the words but they linger on the door of Moria while gollum screams in pain within Moria.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You didn't buy all the Gollum action figures and play games of riddiles at recess and lunch every day?

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You didn't buy all the Gollum action figures and play games of riddiles at recess and lunch every day?

Ah yes, who could forget the classic toy from our childhood, Torment Me Gollum. You pull the string in his back and he starts writhing around and screaming "it burns us!!!!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

Saltpowered posted:

Porque No los Dos?

No, seriously, the ending is worse than anyone could have imagined. The last action you take in the game is a choice of whether or not you want to kill a bird after the elf that gollum is with friendzones him for elf chad. Then gollum somehow enter Moria and goes even more insane.

It’s truly mind boggling that this game was made.

Not the words but they linger on the door of Moria while gollum screams in pain within Moria.

There's a great potential in "gollum visits places: a game series" next up: gollum goes to Miami

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Saltpowered posted:

The last action you take in the game is a choice of whether or not you want to kill a bird after the elf that gollum is with friendzones him for elf chad. Then gollum somehow enter Moria and goes even more insane.

Saltpowered posted:

Lol I was right, the developers do legit seem to just really hate gollum and enjoy seeing him tortured. Haha, the hell?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

dr_rat posted:

Lol I was right, the developers do legit seem to just really hate gollum and enjoy seeing him tortured. Haha, the hell?

You can bag yourself a cheevo by hurling him into molten lava.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

dr_rat posted:

There's a part where after a "Many Years Later..." in italics Calibri screen transition, Gollum gets a new cellmate and treats the new character as his prison bitch while channeling more of the studio's history of point-and-click design. And you can sacrifice said prison bitch to Shelob during one of the gollum vs smeagol moral choice moments immediately after a sewer level.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EorayMel posted:

And you can sacrifice said prison bitch to Shelob during one of the gollum vs smeagol moral choice moments immediately after a sewer level.

is Shelob a hot goth babe with rad titties like the other lord of the rings game?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

steinrokkan posted:

There's a great potential in "gollum visits places: a game series" next up: gollum goes to Miami

Gollum theft auto 2: Miami Precious

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gollum and Clank: My preci-arsenal

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Gollum Trick: Precious Detective

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Klyith posted:

is Shelob a hot goth babe with rad titties like the other lord of the rings game?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
shelob my sheknob