Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Like seriously I wanted to play Zero and maybe Kiwami just to show Grace but now we're building up backlogs for games before finishing the previous ones.

Like the previous games, we're doing all the content up to the Amon fight because that's 100% enough I'm not platinum trophying these games. Also once we finish the story we're probably going to start the Yakuza 4 thread :cripes: I've lost control of my life

:siren:Episodes!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 1 - But Papa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Oh boy, right into Yakuza 3 which is a little bit divisive these days.

I like it just fine but it's definitely got some rough spots.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I got an even more divisive Yakuza game for you- Desd Souls. It’s better than the reviews in my opinion. Hope you’ll try it for yourself and agree.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I can see how "definitively dead for several years now, and now acting completely different" crime papa is divisive, regardless of it being legit or a ruse cruise.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

My first reaction when playing this game was to pause after the opening cutscenes and tell my friends that it felt wrong to see Kiryu smiling so much, but fortunately someone got shot and set things right. I haven't finished yet (or even gotten particularly far into it) so I'm just speculating here but Kazama did not seem to have any limp when confronting Daigo, so unless Papa was faking that limp for years - which... mastermind stuff... okay, I guess - then this does feel like a fake. Especially given the fake Kazuki with the perfect plastic surgery in the previous game.

Also, so there's what happened to Kaoru. She got sent to a farm in Hokkaido the United States!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Also to comment on something from the video, practically everyone will sound different since there's like a 10 year gap between Y3 and Kiwami 2's release.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 2 - Hey Nishida

Going from Kiwami 2 to Yakuza 3 takes... some time to get used to. Honestly some of the old jank is pretty charming

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The above video is unlisted by the by.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Whoops fixed it. I'll get the next episode up tomorrow I'm trying for a real long shot at a new job and also the province is on fire so I've been distracted the last few days

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Why do people keep letting Kiryu make any decisions ever? Hell, considering his only act as fourth chairman was to hand the Tojo clan over to the disaster that was Terada, I'm not 100% sure why people seem to act as if he was the last good chairman. Poor Majima just wanted to build poo poo and fight in the colleseum and now he's saddled with all this bullshit.

Also, it seems like Kamurocho citizens are a lot more expositional aware about the intricacies of yakuza politics than other games...

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

My best guess, his personal integrity and that he has come through a number of disasters where those without that integrity have fallen and failed. Being Kazama's favored boy probably helps - Papa was brilliant but loyal instead of ambitious, and people probably think that rubbed off on him, especially when they're only getting part of the story.

To his credit, Kiryu did technically clean up his mess with Terada (even if it had to explode into a much larger mess first), and has otherwise been working to support Daigo instead of trying to direct things. Kiryu wants to remove himself from power.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It's kind of funny how most of the Yakuza series from now on are characters sitting in an office somewhere going "Man if only Kiryu was here, he'd know what to do, we just can't wipe our asses without his oversight".

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
To be fair, in a setting where everything seems to be orchestrated by 5D chess masterminds, Kiryu is the right answer because he doesn't do chess except to beat someone's head in with a chessboard, and that is something all those masterminds just can't account for.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Even the most elaborate maze can be beaten if you're willing to chew through the walls :colbert:

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 3 - Not A Slouch

The old classic of "take me to your boss so I can beat him instead of continuing to beat you". Sometimes you gotta go through a couple layers of management but you get to the top eventually

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
FYI, Tokyo is in Kanto, just like Osaka is in Kansai, hence people in the last game talking about Kanto vs Kansai.

There's a great article where a journalist has three actual yakuza play this game and give their opinions on it -- I don't know if I should link the whole thing since there's a spoiler, but I think this is an important part to share:

quote:

M: Kiryu is the way yakuza used to be. We kept the streets clean. People liked us. We didn't bother ordinary citizens. We respected our bosses. Now, guys like that only exist in video games.

S: I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.

K: There was one a few years ago. A good guy.

M: You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?

K: Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 4 - Did Somebody Say Golf?!

Yeah bully a kid who's adoptive dad ended the last game with an uncomfortable number of handguns, idiot

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
..what happens if you eat the worm?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

One of the reasons Y3 gets a lot of poo poo is the focus on Kiryu's Orphanage and the troubles around it, but I think it's a nice change of pace from the non-stop crime drama and 4D masterminds of the previous entries.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly I love the orphanage stuff and Okinawa as a map is nice as well. Everything is so different from Kamurocho and Sotenbori's bustling crowds.

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 5 - The Episode Where Dan Sucks At Golf Again

Look it controls weird okay it's not the same as other golf games or even Kiwami 2

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Wow Kiryu, really showing your age with the classic old man speech of "kids today should be outside playing and not on those darn internets and video games"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Okay but imagine nine kids arguing over the one, maybe two Playstations and TVs he could reasonably fit into that place. It might be an instinctual reaction to guard his sanity.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I would've figured the resurrected/fake Kazama thing would've been the divisive part, not the orphanage stuff, the lower stakes are a nice change of pace after the previous games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Just Winging It posted:

I would've figured the resurrected/fake Kazama thing would've been the divisive part,

Nah that's just a good old fashioned soap opera storyline.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 6 - Oh No

I swear that hallway wasn't there before

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Is Rikiya the first person to actually say gently caress in the series? I feel like no character ever says it for some reason.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Is Rikiya the first person to actually say gently caress in the series? I feel like no character ever says it for some reason.

Nishiki definitely says "When did things get so hosed up?!" during the really sad scene in 0, I wanna say Awano called me a gently caress up at least once. It's not as common but they've definitely said it before :v:

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 7 - We're Doing This And Shut Up

"There's no way you can just fight your way through a yakuza HQ!" guys it's literally one of my favourite parts of playing Yakuza I know y'all have only been in this game but trust me

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Beating up everything that moves while taking a stroll through a yakuza office is just a regular Tuesday in Kiryu's life. Also, wasn't Kamiyama the guy who sold you a bunch of video's that unlocked skills?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Just Winging It posted:

Beating up everything that moves while taking a stroll through a yakuza office is just a regular Tuesday in Kiryu's life. Also, wasn't Kamiyama the guy who sold you a bunch of video's that unlocked skills?

I think so, I bulk bought all the DVDs I could for the completion point as early as possible. I know he sells some crazy high prices equipment

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 8 - Bad News: I Have A Sword

Genuinely love Kiryu no-selling Takeshiro's blustering, buddy I've been fighting Yakuza captains for the last three games, I've taken shits scarier than you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 9 - Catch That Dog!

DOG

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

My brain is telling me side quests could expire in the old Yakuza games but I'm not sure if that was something the fandom just said to get people to do them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Judge Tesla posted:

My brain is telling me side quests could expire in the old Yakuza games but I'm not sure if that was something the fandom just said to get people to do them.

I've seen conflicting reports that three of them are missable (none that we've gone past at least), and a few saying nothing is missable, but I'm gonna take care of those three just in case

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 10 - It Looks Dope

Riona what the poo poo

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 11 - Please Stop Being Together

Of all the characters to become recurring :cripes:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Just thought I'd mention it's an unlisted video

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
dammit, thank you, fixed :cripes: I'm tired

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 11 - Please Stop Being Together

Of all the characters to become recurring :cripes:

I kind of admire the guts on that lady.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It's kinda funny Saki is staying at the orphanage. "Well, your father is in the hospital so you can't stay at home with no adult supervision. Come stay with us! Also, I, the only supervising adult, will be leaving immediately for Tokyo."

Also, wow, that was the most gratuitous camera angle I've ever seen reintroducing the Worst Couple.

e: how old is Haruka supposed to be?

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 15, 2023

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Haruka is 12 or 13 here; definitely not old enough to be watching 8 kids by herself for multiple days. I'm kind of surprised they didn't bother to even write in some line about how one of the neighbors is checking in on them.

Hell, that would have been a good way to ditch Rikiya; tell him you need him to watch the kids at the orphanage. There's no way he'd be able to refuse that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Don't ask Rikiya to check on the orphanage, that's just going to wind up giving Haruka even more work

Let's Play Yakuza 3 Episode 12 - I Heart Okinawa

I'm very happy with the auto generated thumbnail on this one

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

And so we meet the birth of the "That's Rad!" moments from Y0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
If this is 2009 I feel like Kiryu probably has a wordpress....but I like to think he's on livejournal because it's funnier.