Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they both have their good points. What was wrong with the Last of Us show? I have only heard good things

It is WOKE :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

It is WOKE :argh:

can you explain to me what woke means?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they both have their good points. What was wrong with the Last of Us show? I have only heard good things

My main problem is that no one ever says or does anything cool (besides for one episode that was pretty good).

I know this sounds like I'm a stupid guy for saying it, and I got other problems with it too (and tons of issues with TWD, even if I think its much better) but I think if you make a tv show or videogames its important that people do and say cool things every once in a while

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 29, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

can you explain to me what woke means?

It means there are HOMOSEXUALS(!)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fighting Elegy posted:

My main problem is that no one ever says or does anything cool (besides for one episode that was pretty good).

I know this sounds like I'm a stupid guy for saying it, and I got other problems with it too (and tons of issues with TWD, even if I think its much better) but I think if you make a tv show or videogames its important that people do and say cool things every once in a while

did they hang out with giraffes? that was the coolest thing in last of us

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

It means there are HOMOSEXUALS(!)

No! I don't believe it. In the apocalypse

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

At their respective peaks, Futurama was funnier than The Simpsons.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

a jeep has exactly two doors

i fuckin hate all the new huge jeeps

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Jeeps should be rent-only. You can have it for a day, drive it through some mud, then you have to return it and go back to a normal goddamn car that gets more than a hundred feet to the gallon

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

only a small proportion of jeeps are wranglers, most of them are the same four cylinder shitbox crossovers every other brand makes

on that note, people drive those shitbox crossovers because modern sedans are absolute torture for anyone over 5'5" to be in the back of, I've heard it's for fuel economy but that's bullshit, a Mercedes W124 from the 80s has a drag coefficient under 0.3. no they just have those swoopy rooflines so you can pretend your Nissan Sentra is ~*sporty*~

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 29, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Woolie Wool posted:

only a small proportion of jeeps are wranglers, most of them are the same four cylinder shitbox crossovers every other brand makes

cars were a mistake

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

bed is the perfect word because it looks like a bed

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

other car hills:

* manufacturing "green" cars is far worse for the planet than keeping old cars on the road so fewer new cars need to be produced

* many modern safety features in cars would be unnecessary if cars were only used when necessary and driven by professionals (school buses are much safer than cars despite often not even having seat belts because the driver is doing it as a job and paying attention). in addition this would make the few cars that are left after the banishment of private ownership much lighter, more efficient, and safer for pedestrians

* most people don't like driving anyway, if you think you like cars but are not willing to maintain and work on a vintage car you are lying to yourself

* absolutely no car should have wheels larger than 18", ever, under any circumstances, most shouldn't even have bigger than 16"

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 29, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The Wizard of Oz was the original isekai

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Smugworth posted:

Zelda is just the same game of bonking cartoon monsters and solving children's puzzles to save the princess over and over

I think that's the point. It's the same "legend" in every game told from different perspectives. I prefer that to the dumb timeline theories people have.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I played a little bit of BotW and it was fine. Has the usual Nintendo production value. Didn't hold my attention longer than a couple of weeks, though.

neopia
May 29, 2023

heroes get remembered, but legends never die

Parsley posted:

also i miss neopets

Real ones know.

Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey should go in some set of files sent out to space.

I also think Succession is adored because it’s a decent production by HBO and you’re supposed to say it. I’ve watched it from start to now finish and I just regret sitting through the whole thing.

Most of my media takes are usually pretty average but I’ve upset people.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Baby turkeys should be called turklings.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Baby turkeys should be called turklings.

turislets :colbert:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The red text to the left of this post is incorrect.

Please do not ignore me, that makes me sad.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

sigher posted:

There's no way that anyone prefers 2049 more right? Those people don't actually exist.

It’s a slog. A brutal beautiful slog.

both of them

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

sweet thursday posted:

bed is the perfect word because it looks like a bed

Whoa

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Lowtax’s decision to not allow “upvotes” or whatever was goddamn brilliant.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Boba are disgusting and a total grift.

Hmm yes, I would love to pay an additional fee to be given less of the delicious drink I ordered. Please fill the remaining space in the cup with nasty flavored balls that are slimy on the outside with the consistency of undercooked pasta on the inside.

The flavored jelly is cool though, hell yeah young coconut milk tea with pineapple jelly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Comstar posted:

The red text to the left of this post is incorrect.

Please do not ignore me, that makes me sad.
Fair enough.

Ham, Pork, and Pig Bacon are the most overrated meat by a lot. While we're on the subject-- if you're going to be a meat eater, please at least like, consider not defiling the meat for culinary experiments or outrage attention. Something gave its life for your meal. Preparing it well is the absolute least honor you could show for them.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Woolie Wool posted:

* manufacturing "green" cars is far worse for the planet than keeping old cars on the road so fewer new cars need to be produced
Wow man, I never would have guessed that not making cars is better for the environment than making cars. Absolutely profound. Thanks for sharing this.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Fair enough.

Ham, Pork, and Pig Bacon are the most overrated meat by a lot. While we're on the subject-- if you're going to be a meat eater, please at least like, consider not defiling the meat for culinary experiments or outrage attention. Something gave its life for your meal. Preparing it well is the absolute least honor you could show for them.

It doesn't care how it's prepared, and unless you're killing it with your own hands, honoring it is a kind of an odd thing to focus on, considering the horrors you've put it through with your consumerism.

I could care less about them defiling the meat if they actually ate it which I doubt they do (mostly because half the time I'm pretty sure it would kill them), so I will go ahead and share your criticisms for outrage attention.

But I do not share your el-meat-ism. Pigs are delicious.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Lowtax’s decision to not allow “upvotes” or whatever was goddamn brilliant.
Facebook breaking from the Like/dislike into the multiple reactions was the pivotal point in elevating the visibility of fascists.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Tea Party Crasher posted:

All of the dorky examples of why you should use the Oxford comma are being willfully ignorant of the fact that you could just reorder your list to make more sense- just like you would if you were speaking out loud.

It genuinely pisses me off that they try to be quirky about it like "oh tehehe, 'we invited the strippers, jfk and stalin'! Isn't that a hilarious example of why you should use the Oxford comma!"

Hey dumbass: "we invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers". Any potential confusion or ambiguity is the fault of poor sentence construction, not because you didn't use enough commas like a crutch.

The Oxford comma carries a lot more grammatic meaning than a simple pause in a sentence conveyed by similar characters such as ellipsis or dash. It's more like parentheses in that if you start using commas to delineate the things you're listing, there is an absolute need to include one before the last 'and' conjunction, or else the last two items become an unwanted semantic pair.

For example, "At the wet t-shirt contest the crowd was wet, wild, and loud." By including the Oxford comma it says that there are people in the crowd affected by any combination of these, but not necessarily by more than one. However if you're to remove the last comma, you get 'wet, wild and loud' thereby making it a requirement to be both wild and loud at the party but not one without the other. And no, reordering the list while leaving out the comma inherits the same fault of the last items being incorrectly grouped.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

state rivalry, city rivalry, and zipcode snobbery is insanely stupid. I've been all over the US and everywhere has stuff that sucks / rules about it.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

For example, "At the wet t-shirt contest the crowd was wet, wild, and loud." By including the Oxford comma it says that there are people in the crowd affected by any combination of these, but not necessarily by more than one. However if you're to remove the last comma, you get 'wet, wild and loud' thereby making it a requirement to be both wild and loud at the party but not one without the other. And no, reordering the list while leaving out the comma inherits the same fault of the last items being incorrectly grouped.

Mechanically that makes some sense, but on a practical level I'm not convinced it's necessary. Does anything actually change for the reader if wild and loud are paired or not? I don't think that meaningfully changes the description enough to make it confusing or ambiguous.

I don't have anything against the Oxford comma itself mind you, my mind probably wouldn't even register it while reading. My issue is mostly with every "quirky" cartoon example that is intentionally poorly worded in order to artificially make the Oxford comma look better:

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
I wonder if Lincoln ever saw a rhinoceros

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Mechanically that makes some sense, but on a practical level I'm not convinced it's necessary. Does anything actually change for the reader if wild and loud are paired or not? I don't think that meaningfully changes the description enough to make it confusing or ambiguous.

I don't have anything against the Oxford comma itself mind you, my mind probably wouldn't even register it while reading. My issue is mostly with every "quirky" cartoon example that is intentionally poorly worded in order to artificially make the Oxford comma look better:

The comma takes no real effort to add and aids in reading comprehension. Stop being a pedantic tool and add one, or mark yourself as an idiot unwilling to make their point more comprehensible.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

The comma takes no real effort to add and aids in reading comprehension. Stop being a pedantic tool and add one, or mark yourself as an idiot unwilling to make their point more comprehensible.

I just think it's ugly to have so many commas to be completely honest with you, so I don't like using it myself. I don't have any hate against people using it though, so we don't need to yell at each other about it unless we feel like making GBS threads up the thread

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Decimate does not mean to destroy!!!!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

everyone should be allowed to say ten sentences or speak for a total of ten minutes per day, whichever comes first. no exceptions.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Earwicker posted:

everyone should be allowed to say ten sentences or speak for a total of ten minutes per day, whichever comes first. no exceptions.

Free speech minimalist

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Star wars.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

ill die on the hill, that you nerds, fighting about commas, need to, shut, the gently caress, up, about commas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
at least a couple more movies shouldve had gunkata and said the word gunkata at least once in the film