Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

the beginning of the stand makes no sense because the virus could not escape a sealed lab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dick Jones posted:

Eh, they're about equal in my opinion. Replace Jared Leto with anyone else and I would prefer 2049 by a strong margin.

He was a total miscast.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Michael Jordan's first retirement was actually a shadow suspension.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dick Jones posted:

"Notoriety" is not synonymous with "fame" or "notability". Notoriety means "famous for something bad". You don't gain notoriety for having the best calzones in town. You gain notoriety for sickening 70 people from improperly stored beef. Because of that incident you are now notorious for unsafe food prep. I've read multiple news articles that commit this error.

I blame Biggie Smalls for this

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jelly posted:

Yeah they were. I remember one tried to charge me a late fee for an 8 hour rental. It's one of the very few companies I've boycotted in my entire life.

My local mom and pop tried to charge me $20 for a missing video game instruction manual that I actually DID return and they eventually found.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sigher posted:

He was a total miscast.

he's a creep and i hate seeing him in anything at all personally

and i mean like, he's not one of those actors that seems cool and then you hear stories and realize. its super blatant. like his whole being just exudes creepiness but not at all in a "its fun to watch him play creepy characters" way

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 3, 2023

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Earwicker posted:

he's a creep and i hate seeing him in anything at all personally

and i mean like, he's not one of those actors that seems cool and then you hear stories and realize. its super blatant. like his whole being just exudes creepiness but not at all in a "its fun to watch him play creepy characters" way

I think the same thing about Johnny Depp and always have, well before the whole Amber Heard thing came out. Guy just creeps me out.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Upgrade posted:

the beginning of the stand makes no sense because the virus could not escape a sealed lab

It can if a technical glitch delays the auto-lockdown protocol, allowing an infected guy to flee the facility.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Honestly gently caress off putting a margarita on a cocktail menu and serving it in a coupe or bijou glass for $20

Margs should cost like $8 bucks and be served in a pint glass or larger.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I think the same thing about Johnny Depp and always have, well before the whole Amber Heard thing came out. Guy just creeps me out.

Depp was a shithead with incredible good publicity and the whole court shitshow and the way it was widely broadcasted and executed was another proof how powerful and protected he is

This is not a defence of Heard

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That said, Keanu Reeves is a mediocre actor but has genius publicity and like Depp I expect his fall from the grace will be monumental

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Upgrade posted:

So without getting too cutesy about it who do you think personally bears responsibility for the coronavirus outbreak

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

laserghost posted:

That said, Keanu Reeves is a mediocre actor but has genius publicity and like Depp I expect his fall from the grace will be monumental

don't you dare put that evil on Keanu :mad:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Dick Jones posted:

It can if a technical glitch delays the auto-lockdown protocol, allowing an infected guy to flee the facility.

The guy that fled the facility was in an outside guard tower separate from the main, underground facility - and when the virus escaped all the elevators shut down (and everyone died). There’s two problems: why did the virus kill some of the people in the facility in seconds (a guy died while eating soup), but for everyone else it’s the flu, and how did it get above ground to infect the guard?

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Fillers look bad. Am i out of line here? I feel bad when i see people been having fillers. I feel like society pressured them into doing this thing. Was I part of it? I won't tell people this, it might make them feel bad and who the hell am I?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Leper Go-getter posted:

Fillers look bad. Am i out of line here? I feel bad when i see people been having fillers. I feel like society pressured them into doing this thing. Was I part of it? I won't tell people this, it might make them feel bad and who the hell am I?

Are you referring to teeth? Pretty sure you need those so that you don't have very painful tooth problems later.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch was the best of the franchise.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

olives black posted:

Are you referring to teeth?

I'm just saying it's a waste of your time and money to let those sharlatans "repair" a tooth when you can simply rip that bitch out and not worry about flossing.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Leper Go-getter posted:

I'm just saying it's a waste of your time and money to let those sharlatans "repair" a tooth when you can simply rip that bitch out and not worry about flossing.

:stare:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

olives black posted:

Are you referring to teeth? Pretty sure you need those so that you don't have very painful tooth problems later.

p sure this is some sort of cosmetic surgery thing to make your face look like a clone of Kim Kardashian.

The 3.5" floppy disk was just about the ideal form factor for data and it's a shame that LS-120 and other super-floppies never caught on.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Woolie Wool posted:

p sure this is some sort of cosmetic surgery thing to make your face look like a clone of Kim Kardashian.

The 3.5" floppy disk was just about the ideal form factor for data and it's a shame that LS-120 and other super-floppies never caught on.

plus they made lovely sounds

Hill #4 I think: Machines are better when they make ka-chunky, clicky and whirry sounds.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Fillers vs fillings I’m sure

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

laserghost posted:

Keanu already paid his dues.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Luna posted:

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch was the best of the franchise.

:hai:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Upgrade posted:

The guy that fled the facility was in an outside guard tower separate from the main, underground facility - and when the virus escaped all the elevators shut down (and everyone died). There’s two problems: why did the virus kill some of the people in the facility in seconds (a guy died while eating soup), but for everyone else it’s the flu, and how did it get above ground to infect the guard?

Was he in a tower? It’s been a while since I read the book but I thought he was just a guard who patrolled the base grounds or something. Maybe the virus is mega instantly deadly when you’re right at the ground zero of the lab leak and he only got a slight whiff from an air vent or something.

I remember toward the end of the book someone mentions the superflu is resilient enough to just linger in the air like pollen almost a year after the last plague victim has died.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

This is a good film. The second best after the original. Not a high bar to cross but it's a film I will watch again and I wish I could find it streaming somewhere.

I'll say the same thing about Land of the Dead.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
liberty mutual commercials suck rear end

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Space sci-fi productions need to stop shaking the camera when a ship does a fly-by. That only makes sense when there's air. And stop using that canned camera move from Battlestar Galactica where it mimics a cameraman trying to whip zoom and focus their handheld camera on some action they just noticed.

Valko posted:

This is a good film. The second best after the original. Not a high bar to cross but it's a film I will watch again and I wish I could find it streaming somewhere.

I'll say the same thing about Land of the Dead.

There should be a moratorium on all Alien, Predator, and Terminator movies. It's impossible to outdo the originals and in the very best case scenario you're only going to get a movie that's perceived as "decent but saddled with problems". There's too much executive meddling, and the story will just be a Force Awakens style rehash of a previous movie. And instead of memorable characters like Ash, Lambert, Apone, Blaine, and the T-1000, you'll get a group of blandly hot CW Network types no one gives a poo poo about.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Dick Jones posted:

Was he in a tower? It’s been a while since I read the book but I thought he was just a guard who patrolled the base grounds or something. Maybe the virus is mega instantly deadly when you’re right at the ground zero of the lab leak and he only got a slight whiff from an air vent or something.

I remember toward the end of the book someone mentions the superflu is resilient enough to just linger in the air like pollen almost a year after the last plague victim has died.

He was in an outside ground level tower and the base was underground. When the general went to visit the site before killing himself, he drove through all the outside stuff (guard towers, base housing) and then took an elevator underground.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dick Jones posted:

And stop using that canned camera move from Battlestar Galactica where it mimics a cameraman trying to whip zoom and focus their handheld camera on some action they just noticed.

Pretty sure we have The Office to blame for that one

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
d3 and d4 suck, blizz wont add online mods to d2r and wow is overbalanced and overcomplicated

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Johnny Fontaine doesn't get that picture!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A lot of 80s hair band power ballads don't sound that dissimilar from something that an early 90s grunge band would have done, and I always wonder if hair metal was going to have a 'rock and roll' to 'rock' moment of transforming their sound and images until grunge hit, then they were left trying to double down or compensate at double speed.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

JediTalentAgent posted:

A lot of 80s hair band power ballads don't sound that dissimilar from something that an early 90s grunge band would have done, and I always wonder if hair metal was going to have a 'rock and roll' to 'rock' moment of transforming their sound and images until grunge hit, then they were left trying to double down or compensate at double speed.

https://youtu.be/IeoPMjdFJjQ

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I saw that before, but that's still coming at it more from the early 90s than the mid-90s.

Rewatching just the start he makes a comment about GnR: Showed up late to the decade and 'didn't seem to be having any fun'. Sounds a lot like a grunge band.

Add into that the ballads they were doing, Axl being a Nirvana fan, and working with an alt-rock singer was a background vocalist on one of their songs, some of their nostalgic cover choices, if there was a hair metal group that seemed like they could have had shift in tone had grunge not happened (and their own band was having problems) it would have been GnR.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Dick Jones posted:

There should be a moratorium on all Alien, Predator, and Terminator movies. It's impossible to outdo the originals and in the very best case scenario you're only going to get a movie that's perceived as "decent but saddled with problems". There's too much executive meddling, and the story will just be a Force Awakens style rehash of a previous movie. And instead of memorable characters like Ash, Lambert, Apone, Blaine, and the T-1000, you'll get a group of blandly hot CW Network types no one gives a poo poo about.
You are wrong, even if you work for OCP and OCP runs the cops. Prey was a good movie. There can be more. There will be more. There will also be a lot of trash.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Pretty much at this point the only way you can continue/reboot a film series is to make it as a TV series.

You have a format that lets you take chances with things and if they don't work out, the fans will just hate the TV series as a separate entity and be thankful they didn't ruin the 'real' movie franchise. If they do work out, the fans will claim this was what the franchise always needed to do and can't wait for it to become part of movie mythos.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
One movie cannot affect the quality of another movie

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
If you're really thinking about getting into Marvel/Star Wars/etc. for the first time just do anime instead.

Yeah you won't be as popular at work or anywhere else but you'll get more out of it. None of the characters are, like, real, so they can do physically impossible stuff constantly for maximum spectacle without it being Uncanny Valley as poo poo.

Plus the soundtracks are just better. I don't know who decided that every theme song had to be either an ironic cover or a joyless dirge but I loving hate it. Anime J-Pop and J-Rock songs are glucose shots right to your veins. If you let down your defenses when they come on (which you have to do anyway if you're watching bilge like Star Wars) then you'll be smiling in seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

olives black posted:

If you're really thinking about getting into Marvel/Star Wars/etc. for the first time just do anime instead.

Yeah you won't be as popular at work or anywhere else but you'll get more out of it. None of the characters are, like, real, so they can do physically impossible stuff constantly for maximum spectacle without it being Uncanny Valley as poo poo.

Plus the soundtracks are just better. I don't know who decided that every theme song had to be either an ironic cover or a joyless dirge but I loving hate it. Anime J-Pop and J-Rock songs are glucose shots right to your veins. If you let down your defenses when they come on (which you have to do anyway if you're watching bilge like Star Wars) then you'll be smiling in seconds.

Coounterpoint: Anime is bad.