Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ted lasso isnt a good show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Really Outlaw Star which is even funnier b/c it means Whedon was watching Toonami alongside all of our kid asses

I really cannot believe they didn’t get sued for that

Firefly never even had a gratuitous fanservice spa episode

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Wait was one of the characters a sex pest or one of the actors though

The actor that played the pilot, that's why they killed his character off

E: iirc they didn't even give him an on screen death he just did a high g maneuver and stroked out off screen, then a jump cut to his being dead after the action

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 28, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FireSportsBallFlyLasso

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

you would not believe your eyes, if ten million fireflies, lit up the world as i fell asleeeeeep

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Firefly did suck and I didn't understand it at all

I don't need another 9 reasons to not watch it

statim
Sep 5, 2003
Neo-conf agit prop, good riddance

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I saw like, three episodes of it and just didn't stay interested.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Really Outlaw Star which is even funnier b/c it means Whedon was watching Toonami alongside all of our kid asses

and yet, among all of that, he couldn't manage opening and ending themes that weren't pissweak and outclassed by both animated series. who gives a poo poo about not taking the sky from you. both the theme and the series are boring trash elevated beyond its station by frontier fetishists who romanticize being aggressively antisocial and dying alone in the rear end-end of nowhere of something thoroughly preventable smfh

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Karma Comedian posted:

E: iirc they didn't even give him an on screen death he just did a high g maneuver and stroked out off screen, then a jump cut to his being dead after the action

Wait, what? You got a source on that?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
just watch DS9

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
watch some TNG too so you know what DS9 is riffing on but deffo just watch all of DS9

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Cas Anvar’s Wikipedia page has a brief summary. I had no idea either, but I haven’t watched anything past season four yet.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
don't watch DS9's alternate universe episodes because they suck

The Bible
May 8, 2010

olives black posted:

You're a monster

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nooner posted:

Remember when they made that cowboys vs aliens movie back in like 2012ish I want to say?

I took my dad to see it and somehow he never heard the title and was genuinely surprised by the aliens showing up in his cowboy movie. He did like it though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SatansOnion posted:

and yet, among all of that, he couldn't manage opening and ending themes that weren't pissweak and outclassed by both animated series. who gives a poo poo about not taking the sky from you. both the theme and the series are boring trash elevated beyond its station by frontier fetishists who romanticize being aggressively antisocial and dying alone in the rear end-end of nowhere of something thoroughly preventable smfh

Whedon thought audiences wanted to see Space Confederates whinging about freedom while ordering a black Latina around. Y'know, a little something for everyone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I took my dad to see it and somehow he never heard the title and was genuinely surprised by the aliens showing up in his cowboy movie. He did like it though.

He thought it was about killing Mexicans

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

olives black posted:

just watch DS9

You may not like it but this is what peak Baseball Player looks like

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Toxic Mental posted:

You may not like it but this is what peak Baseball Player looks like

I don't care about sportsballs, fictional or otherwise, but taking your kid to the Holodeck to play with a legend seems p fun and wholesome to me :shrug:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

DS9 gets worse on every rewatch tbh

The only stuff worth watching is the Ferengi stuff and some of the Klingon eps

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Toxic Mental posted:

DS9 gets worse on every rewatch tbh

idk about that, I watch Youtube clips of it on the reg

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Bulgaroctonus posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/expanse-season-5-episode-10-alex-death-cas-anvar-1566400

the above article posted:

The Expanse Season 5, Episode 10, titled "Nemesis Games" saw the latest character die on the show (spoilers ahead) as Alex Kamal (played by Cas Anvar) met a very sudden end that has left fans of the Amazon Prime Video show confused and frustrated. Alex's death on the show came after the actor who played him was fired after a series of sexual misconduct allegations against him emerged in summer 2020.

Midway through the finale, Alex died of a stroke in his attempts to save Naomi (Dominique Tipper) from the Chetzemoka.

[...]

The episode then cuts to inside the ship, where we see Alex dead, droplets of blood coming out of his nose. His last words: "That was one hell of a ride."

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Karma Comedian posted:

IMO, I thought it worked pretty well in the plot.

The books also have a "High G maneuvers are dangerous!" moment that quite suddenly killed off an important character. But it's a different one. I thought they did it on purpose to establish the same thing but keep it sudden.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 29, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Despite the eventual fan love for the series, I have some pretty strong memories that it was NOT popular leading up to the launch, specifically for the comparisons it was getting to anime/Outlaw Star and the 'girl in a suitcase'(c)(tm)(pat.). But there was a long history of Western, um, Space Westerns before and during that time, too, that the show had just as much similarity to.

But keep in mind, the anime fandom was a lot more protective of itself post-Lion King, so everything was a complete anime rip off after that if they shared a single element. Van Helsing equally got the 'anime ripoff' argument.

Pretty much, it was being written off by a ton of the geek fandom pretty much instantly.

It seems like Firefly really only took off in a big way AFTER its cancellation, and a lot of the same demographic who hated it before it launched were now always the original fans. DVD made it massively accessible, the epics about the Fox mishandling of the show, etc. It created a legend and a mythos that THIS could have been the next Star Trek or Star Wars if the studios weren't run by stupid people.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

quippy dialogue sucks balls

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

olives black posted:

watch some TNG too so you know what DS9 is riffing on but deffo just watch all of DS9

This is a cool & correct opinion.

Rewatched the baseball ep & it’s fun, I liked how Odo is ultra precise about strike zones but allows runners to totally leave the field of play without being called out.

olives black posted:

It’s one of my favorite shows & held up rock solid on a rewatch… but yeah the first alt universe ep is passable then they get bad, especially as they don’t pay off or build the larger story.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZRSwul7cE

Toxic Mental posted:

I really cannot believe they didn’t get sued for that

Firefly never even had a gratuitous fanservice spa episode

gently caress YOU TOONAMI HOW WILL I EVER SEE AISHA CLAN CLAN NUDE?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 29, 2023

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Do you remember that 80s TV show "Beauty and the Beast" that was like a romance novel except the Fabio guy had a lion's face? Firefly is that for guys.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

joss whedon

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Do you remember that 80s TV show "Beauty and the Beast" that was like a romance novel except the Fabio guy had a lion's face? Firefly is that for guys.

Idk if I'd call Ron Perlman the Fabio guy

Also GRRM wrote that show lmao

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

Idk if I'd call Ron Perlman the Fabio guy

Also GRRM wrote that show lmao

OK yeah, GRRM is the Fabio guy obviously but Ron Perlman was the love interest and he had flowing locks and pirate shirts.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rob oerlman was in shitfly???

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Firefail

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Wonderfalls was the way better canceled show of that fox era

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PoundSand posted:

Wonderfalls was the way better canceled show of that fox era

The Muffin Buffalo lives on in Pushing Daisies.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks for making me think of that godawful theme song, OP. You're lucky I don't drop a probe on you in retaliation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Firefly was ok and it probably had the potential to even become almost good if it had been on a few years but the way they always called the universe the ‘verse annoyed the hell out of me.

OP I’m thinking about the ‘verse now and I am loving furious

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Firefly was ok and it probably had the potential to even become almost good if it had been on a few years but the way they always called the universe the ‘verse annoyed the hell out of me.

OP I’m thinking about the ‘verse now and I am loving furious

Oh god, that's what the Star Citizens nerds are ripping off of isn't it?

Also "the 'verse" is such a dumb name. What's in the 'verse? The 'laxy? In that we have the 'olar 'tem. And the 'rth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Firefly still garbage. This thread has more views than the avg firefly episode