Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Firefly was Lost Cause trash wrapped up in stale scifi tropes, misogyny and lovely quips but OTOH Joss Whedon is a hack faux feminist sex pest cheater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Firefly was Lost Cause trash wrapped up in stale scifi tropes, misogyny and lovely quips but OTOH Joss Whedon is a hack faux feminist sex pest cheater

Well, to be fair, it also had one of the worst TV theme songs of all time.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, to be fair, it also had one of the worst TV theme songs of all time.

woah sounds like somebody's morning coffee got burned and boiled

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

woah sounds like somebody's morning coffee got burned and boiled

Look, it's just a really bad song, okay? If I remember rightly they even tried doing it with a different person singing, and it STILL sucked.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
sorry the song took away your sky

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I guess you cannot stand that song huh

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

sorry the song took away your sky

:toughguy:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
https://youtu.be/4uBTQI1qt4Y

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

🥵🥵🥵

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Joss "White Power" Whedon

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i liked a lot of the actors on firefly and tbh I think that tricked me into thinking it was watchable for longer than it probably should have

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

i liked a lot of the actors on firefly and tbh I think that tricked me into thinking it was watchable for longer than it probably should have

haha you got tricked by a guy named Joss

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

here's a catchy lil rule of thumb: Name is Joss? Not the boss!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

here's a catchy lil rule of thumb: Name is Joss? Not the boss!

Name is Henry? Give it a spin-ry!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
people ITT thinking that space cowboy tropes started in the late 90s with boobalicious Outlaw Star

what a wild ride

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Man, I haven't watched it in forever, but I have fond memories of it. I'm gonna rewatch it in defiance of this thread.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Man, I haven't watched it in forever, but I have fond memories of it. I'm gonna rewatch it in defiance of this thread.
:cawg:
There's no place, I can be,
Since I've found Serenity.
And you can't take the sky from me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Smugworth posted:

:cawg:
There's no place, I can be,
Since I've found Serenity.
And you can't take the sky from me.
See? This guy gets it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Joss is short for Jossathin

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought it was alright

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
joss whedon was inspired to create firefly after he read a book about the Civil War and wanted to paint being on the losing side of such a struggle with empathy

it's the Lost Cause of the South - in SPAAAAAAAAAACE

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
do not weep for the Space Confederates

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.celebrity-cutouts.com/product/joss-whedon-smile-big-head/

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Toxic Mental posted:

You may not like it but this is what peak Baseball Player looks like

Hell yeah, we got gently caress Bokai ITT. Now it’s a party.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

olives black posted:

I don't care about sportsballs, fictional or otherwise, but taking your kid to the Holodeck to play with a legend seems p fun and wholesome to me :shrug:

Yeah that would have been cool but the actual reason that Sisko’s favorite baseball man appeared on DS9 is incredibly dumb he was summoned by Rumplestiltskin

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think people would have completely forgotten about Firefly if it got a season or two more. Its only remembered because it got cancelled so early that people could talk endlessly about what could have been even though it never would actually be that good.

Also, I remember the advertising for the film not being super clear that it was continuation of a TV show even though the trailer was made in such a way that it also sort of expected you to be familiar with the characters.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
When Firefly was on the air I couldn’t watch tv and one of my friends told me it inspired him to get a tattoo. I remembered thinking that must be a hell of a show and I should definitely watch that when I have time.

I feel so bad for him if he went through with it and now he’s telling his grown kids that he has a blurry blotch of ink somewhere on his body because of a canceled show about cowboys and psychic hooker therapists in space.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The dude who played jayne cobb is an incredibly lovely right wing dude nowadays, iirc very trumpy and anti-covid vaccine and masking

So that and the fact that i havent been able to watch firefly since like 2008 or so when i watched it with a roomful of nerds who sang along to the opening theme and i just about died of embarrassment

Yeah i will just let my nostalgic memories of firefly exist without rewatching it or buffy or angel

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Firefly's theme song somehow managed to be even worse than Enterprise's

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think people would have completely forgotten about Firefly if it got a season or two more. Its only remembered because it got cancelled so early that people could talk endlessly about what could have been even though it never would actually be that good.

Also, I remember the advertising for the film not being super clear that it was continuation of a TV show even though the trailer was made in such a way that it also sort of expected you to be familiar with the characters.

Yeh it's biggest claim to fame is the fan base rising up and managing to convince Universal to make a movie movie, which at the time was a newer phenomenon. It was right at the beginning of another wave of the big media conglomerates realizing there's a lot of money in a property which has a devoted fanbase - you're getting the Star Wars revival around the same time, which we know has become a somehow even bigger property since just by catering to the fanbase. A few years later, Marvel, on the verge of bankruptcy, bets everything on Iron Man and the MCU blasts into existence.

EDIT: lol i was just googling and I forgot there's even a documentary about how the fans got Serenity made that's very 'we did it!!!!' lolllll

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 30, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah that would have been cool but the actual reason that Sisko’s favorite baseball man appeared on DS9 is incredibly dumb he was summoned by Rumplestiltskin

oh yeah I remember now. But Rumplestiltskin IIRC is just a manifestation of Sisko's imagination by way of space magic, which every Trek show has done in at least 2 or 3 episodes afaik. Still much more watchable than Kira finding out that her alternate is an incompetent dumbass who can only think about her situation in terms of her kinks.

"Oooh, this former freedom fighter who takes her religion seriously is repressing some things, let's spend 3 hours in the timeline where's she's an impossibly stupid Bond villain to really drive that point home" :rolleyes:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Slugworth posted:

You see a man make a post like that and you know he's not afraid of anything.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Farscape was my preferred early 2000s stupid sci-fi TV show.

For one, it had Muppets.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

rotinaj posted:

The dude who played jayne cobb is an incredibly lovely right wing dude nowadays, iirc very trumpy and anti-covid vaccine and masking

Not for nothing but any Baldwin being a chud isn't too surprising, particularly if it's Animal Mother

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Toxic Mental posted:

Firefly's theme song somehow managed to be even worse than Enterprise's

Burn the land, boil the sea
You can’t take the sky from me

E: Joss wrote the lyrics himself and is very proud of them

EE:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also lol that FOX felt enough pressure from Whedon nerds about canceling Firefly that they allowed Dollhouse a second season and that show was absolute hot garbage

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I kinda wish Firefly hadn’t been canceled but instead run into the ground so that I wouldn’t have to put up with constant whining from nerds like me about how it was actually the best show ever but The Man couldn’t handle a show about Empowered Females.

That being said Joss Whedon ain’t got poo poo on Gene Roddenberry, in any area, especially being a perv.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

i do like alan tudyk though

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Also lol that FOX felt enough pressure from Whedon nerds about canceling Firefly that they allowed Dollhouse a second season and that show was absolute hot garbage

Apollodorus posted:

I kinda wish Firefly hadn’t been canceled but instead run into the ground so that I wouldn’t have to put up with constant whining from nerds like me about how it was actually the best show ever but The Man couldn’t handle a show about Empowered Females.

That being said Joss Whedon ain’t got poo poo on Gene Roddenberry, in any area, especially being a perv.

Lol, these two posts back to back rule

Proof positive of joss’s pervitude was definitely that dollhouse show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah, Eliza Dushku is ok but poorly suited for a character who is supposed to drastically change personalities each episode.

Parsley posted:

i do like alan tudyk though

He’s fun in Resident Alien, although that got real bad season 2.