Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chapter 2 of our analysis: episode names

2. The Train Job
Sep 20, 2002

3. Bushwhacked
Sep 27, 2002

4. Shindig
Nov 1, 2002

5. Safe
Nov 8, 2002

6. Our Mrs. Reynolds
Oct 4, 2002

7. Jaynestown
Oct 18, 2002

8. Out of Gas
Oct 25, 2002

9. Ariel
Nov 15, 2002

10. War Stories
Dec 6, 2002

11. Trash
Jul 21, 2003

Well at least it didn't end on a cliff hanger.

Also idk why but j really want to force myself to watch all of this dog poo poo this weekend and do an episode by episode review for THE THREAD

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Chapter 2 of our analysis: episode names

2. The Train Job
Sep 20, 2002

3. Bushwhacked
Sep 27, 2002

4. Shindig
Nov 1, 2002

5. Safe
Nov 8, 2002

6. Our Mrs. Reynolds
Oct 4, 2002

7. Jaynestown
Oct 18, 2002

8. Out of Gas
Oct 25, 2002

9. Ariel
Nov 15, 2002

10. War Stories
Dec 6, 2002

11. Trash
Jul 21, 2003

Well at least it didn't end on a cliff hanger.

Also idk why but j really want to force myself to watch all of this dog poo poo this weekend and do an episode by episode review for THE THREAD

reported for self-harm

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I saw the firefly movie at my university theater for like $4 or something and that's probably about what it was worth

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Firefly sucks rear end. I didn’t think you could ruin the Alien series’ reputation anymore than it already is, but having the Weyland-Yutani logo in the first episode of Firefly did it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

GundamHealer posted:

Firefly sucks rear end. I didn’t think you could ruin the Alien series’ reputation anymore than it already is, but having the Weyland-Yutani logo in the first episode of Firefly did it.

Joss Whedon wrote Alien 4 and claims they mangled it

I think the firefly was fine but it’s fans have really embraced cringe which makes it hard to say without feeling secondhand embarrassment. Honestly, the writing is decent enough that I’d be willing to believe joss didn’t have much to do with it

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I forgot there was 11 episodes, if it came out now it'd probably have only gotten 8 before Yahoo Films cancelled it. Firefly was actually 27% too long.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Okay this shits on Hulu. Episode 1 starting now.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

There’s only 11 episodes of this thing?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

GundamHealer posted:

There’s only 11 episodes of this thing?

"only" is being really generous. they're tedious and juvenile as hell.

Inara Serra is hired by Atherton Wing, one of her regular clients, and accompanies him to a formal dance. Badger hires Mal to meet a contact at the same dance and try to set up a smuggling job. When Mal hits Atherton for the way he treats Inara, Mal finds he has unknowingly challenged Atherton to a duel with swords. Atherton is a skilled swordsman and duelist. Inara tries to teach Mal how to use a sword overnight. Despite all expectations, Mal wins the duel. The contact, who personally dislikes Atherton, agrees to hire the crew to smuggle cattle to the Rim.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

bus hustler posted:

Inara Serra is hired by Atherton Wing, one of her regular clients, and accompanies him to a formal dance. Badger hires Mal to meet a contact at the same dance and try to set up a smuggling job. When Mal hits Atherton for the way he treats Inara, Mal finds he has unknowingly challenged Atherton to a duel with swords. Atherton is a skilled swordsman and duelist. Inara tries to teach Mal how to use a sword overnight. Despite all expectations, Mal wins the duel. The contact, who personally dislikes Atherton, agrees to hire the crew to smuggle cattle to the Rim.
Oh, I forgot about Badger, Badger is great. He's played by Mark Sheppard, who is always fun.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I rewatched Firefly a few years ago and it was pretty milquetoast tv, I remember liking it more back when it came out but then we had two decades of prestige television that blows poo poo like Firefly out of the loving water. I think Firefly was only ever comparatively good, people grew up watching awful horseshit shows like Home Improvement and Full House so the bar was just really low.

I was also a stupid highschooler when Firefly came out, that may be an important detail

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Joss Whedon didn't put much real effort into getting the series renewed because he knew deep down that it was dogshit, he moved on pretty fast to that forgettable Dollhouse show. It had a small but annoyingly loud fanbase on the internet, and that's simply not enough. He wrote and directed The Avengers, he probably could have gotten anything he wanted produced at that point but producing a second season of Firefly at that point would have been a massive mistake

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

I rewatched Firefly a few years ago and it was pretty milquetoast tv, I remember liking it more back when it came out but then we had two decades of prestige television that blows poo poo like Firefly out of the loving water. I think Firefly was only ever comparatively good, people grew up watching awful horseshit shows like Home Improvement and Full House so the bar was just really low.

I was also a stupid highschooler when Firefly came out, that may be an important detail

:hmmyes: I tried to go back and watch it during the pandemic. I got through 2/3rds of an episode and got bored and turned it off. Good or bad, everything Firefly tried to do has been spun out into numerous other TV franchises. Its really a shame that the last season of BSG is such a steaming pile of poo poo that it ruined the entire franchise. I ended up watching the first season (again during the pandemic) and for a show that came out in 2004, it still looks really good.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I got 15 mins in to ep one. It's loving dogshit lol

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I got 15 mins in to ep one. It's loving dogshit lol

I don't care

I'm still free

:banjo:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You can't take this dogshit from me

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Confederation of planets

gently caress yeah

Alliance

gently caress no

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

space uncle posted:

I couldn’t deal with the dialogue at all and the bizarre made up swears were extremely jarring every single time.

“Those gorram minguses! What a bunch of absolute plonking bodgers! This is horrible. I’m so gorram mad.”

Using this sort of language is probatable outside of the UK megathread.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I remember really wantingto like it but I got to the episode where it was some party and maybe a bonfire and he talks to a lady and then bam that means he's married to her or something. I was super annoyed with it for some reason, like I felt like I was watching an episode of Dr Quinn or Briscoe County JR but even worse because I wasn't a kid anymore. So I turned it off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Stargate SG-1 was a great series that I think is chronically underrated, and was a hell of a lot better than Firefly.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Joss Whedon wrote Alien 4

That makes more sense than anything I've heard in my entire life

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That makes more sense than anything I've heard in my entire life

Can you tell which character was the main one before Fox made him write Ripley into the movie?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Was it the young, pretty, vulnerable waif with preternaturally savage killing powers?

Why would you think Joss Whedon would be interested in a character like that

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

It’s always so off putting when you identify the exact fetish of some Hollywood creeper and then see it shoehorned into everything he ever made

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Like Tarantino and feet?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or Hanks and peeing in front of an audience.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

:aaaaa:

I’ve never realized this until now…

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we’re all born barefoot and peeing in front of an audience, these acts are depicted often in cinema because they are core to the human condition from the earliest moments

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

With hanks it seems more like a power play than a sexual fetish

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Firefly easily ranks as one of the 3000 best seasons of television ever made.

If it had lasted 100 episodes, I bet at least 20 of them would’ve been pretty good.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

General Dog posted:

Firefly easily ranks as one of the 3000 best seasons of television ever made.

If it had lasted 1000 episodes, I bet at least 2 of them would’ve been pretty good.

Ftfy

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Stargate SG-1 was a great series that I think is chronically underrated, and was a hell of a lot better than Firefly.

Indeed. raises eyebrow

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

space uncle posted:

I tried to watch this show a few years ago because I like sci fi and I like Westerns. I remember the most annoying guy in my undergrad classes would wear cowboy boots and camo jackets and talk about Firefly a lot.

I couldn’t deal with the dialogue at all and the bizarre made up swears were extremely jarring every single time.

“Captain, the bad guys have killed and raped an entire ship full of orphans.”
“Those gorram minguses! What a bunch of absolute plonking bodgers! This is horrible. I’m so gorram mad.”

This poo poo is always cringe. Like using frak in Battlestar. Makes my skin crawl

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

GundamHealer posted:

This poo poo is always cringe. Like using frak in Battlestar. Makes my skin crawl

I agree, but I really like "Drokk!" In Judge Dredd for some reason.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
David Milch quickly realized the silly cusses wouldn’t work in Deadwood even if they were historically accurate.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

bus hustler posted:

When Mal hits Atherton for the way he treats Inara, Mal finds he has unknowingly challenged Atherton to a duel with swords. Atherton is a skilled swordsman and duelist. Inara tries to teach Mal how to use a sword overnight. Despite all expectations, Mal wins the duel.

This is a Deep Space 9 episode.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 28, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

SG-1 is one of the best sci-fi shows ever. I've been watching it lately and it really holds up. Love it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So the shepherd in Firefly is called Book. And a few times they say that Book is good. He’s the good book, like what they call the Bible. Goddam the symbolism is another level and you cretins didn’t even see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I watched the second episode for 10 minutes and forgot. I left jtbeubnint on my TV and the series is now fully watched

Idk what happened some chick said words