Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Despite the eventual fan love for the series, I have some pretty strong memories that it was NOT popular leading up to the launch, specifically for the comparisons it was getting to anime/Outlaw Star and the 'girl in a suitcase'(c)(tm)(pat.). But there was a long history of Western, um, Space Westerns before and during that time, too, that the show had just as much similarity to.

But keep in mind, the anime fandom was a lot more protective of itself post-Lion King, so everything was a complete anime rip off after that if they shared a single element. Van Helsing equally got the 'anime ripoff' argument.

Pretty much, it was being written off by a ton of the geek fandom pretty much instantly.

It seems like Firefly really only took off in a big way AFTER its cancellation, and a lot of the same demographic who hated it before it launched were now always the original fans. DVD made it massively accessible, the epics about the Fox mishandling of the show, etc. It created a legend and a mythos that THIS could have been the next Star Trek or Star Wars if the studios weren't run by stupid people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
When I saw the Fright Night remake about 13 years ago, I was just rolling my eyes at the film.

Turned out a Buffy writer also wrote it.

Fright Night's about due for a Teen Wolf/Buffy/Stargate tv series reboot, though.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'd say the original hardcore fanbase is still fairly strong, but like all fanbases they're fickle as all hell. But the vacuum that Buffy filled has more or less been filled by other media in the last decade, too.

McSpanky posted:

Joss had this script idea he was obsessed with where the Reavers (the psycho cannibal rapists) would attack the prostitute played by Morena Baccarin and she knew she was going to be taken, so she injects herself with vagina poison that would cause them all to die when they gang rape her, and he kept enthusiastically bringing this up to the staff writers like "I can't wait until I can work this amazing idea into the show, this is my magnum opus".

I really wish Firefly had gotten that second season.

Isn't this a plot point in the Ninja Scroll anime, too?

Maybe Firefly was just an anime rip-off, after all. Or Invasion of the Bee Girls. One or the other.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Firefly could have had 6 seasons has it started when trump was in office.

It would have been called for cancellation because River seemed to have superpowers and was 'best girl evar' energy.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
How many spinoffs would Firefly have gotten if it had been successful? That's the real measure of this.