Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Almost 22 actually

You're not helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Kris xK posted:

You're not helping.

well

It's been a long road, getting from there to here

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gene was on amphetamines and cocaine 24/7

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

Gene was on amphetamines and cocaine 24/7

I mean yeah, you want the podcast to be interesting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

I mean yeah, you want the podcast to be interesting.

Someone needs to do a Gene Roddenberry version of The George Lucas Talk Show. That thing would be loving WILD.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm watching Deep Space 9 for the first time. Seems like good timing with a new thread.

I just finished the Tosk episode. This is a pretty strong first season so far.

Man I'm jealous you get to see it all for the first time. It only gets better. DS9's first season is good for Trek first seasons but it's also still the worst season of DS9.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The best parts of ds9 season seven are better than season one but man. Some of those s7 episodes are dogs. I don’t think there’s a single ds9 season one episode worse than the one with ezris family. Or the one with the magic sniper rifle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of like Eddison in Deep Space 9, the mid-series Security Chief for the Federation (alongside Odo as chief of Bajoran security), because he's just there as some guy. No major subplots so far or drama, he just does his job and goes home. It's an amusing contrast to everyone else having some kind of major personal stakes in every situation.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Grand Fromage posted:

Man I'm jealous you get to see it all for the first time. It only gets better. DS9's first season is good for Trek first seasons but it's also still the worst season of DS9.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The best parts of ds9 season seven are better than season one but man. Some of those s7 episodes are dogs. I don’t think there’s a single ds9 season one episode worse than the one with ezris family. Or the one with the magic sniper rifle.

yeah, season 7 is better than season 1 and maybe tied with season 2, but god drat, it's terrible compared to seasons 3-6.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of like Eddison in Deep Space 9, the mid-series Security Chief for the Federation (alongside Odo as chief of Bajoran security), because he's just there as some guy. No major subplots so far or drama, he just does his job and goes home. It's an amusing contrast to everyone else having some kind of major personal stakes in every situation.

The important thing to remember as you watch is that Eddington really loves tomatoes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

The important thing to remember as you watch is that Eddington really loves tomatoes.

I mean, in fairness, a BLT made with tomatoes you've just picked off your own vine is pretty akin to a religious experience.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Timby posted:

I mean, in fairness, a BLT made with tomatoes you've just picked off your own vine is pretty akin to a religious experience.

There's likely literally thousands of other worlds who could of done farming on. Hell even on earth which you would expect to be far more crowded than most places Picards family still have a massive vineyard.

Eddington was just looking for an excuses to be a jerk he wanted to be.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

New thread for old Trek: food argument

Everyone in Trek complains about the food from the replicator except for the unfrozen people from the 20th century who all said it was amazing.

Clearly most of the people from the 24th century are spoiled.

Also Eddington was full of poo poo. "Have you ever had real food?" gently caress off with that poo poo. It's there 24th century equivalent of being into "raw water" or unpasteurized milk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you assume the replicator is making dishes and items from a single “scan” or whatever of the original item every time then it does make sense for people to get bored of it and say it’s bad.

If you ate an identical tomato every single time you wanted a tomato you’d get bored of it eventually too.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ideally you could program in an algorithm to subtly change food consistency and temperature but dammit the head of astrophysics needs that extra processing power to chart a brown dwarf or some poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

8one6 posted:

New thread for old Trek: food argument

Everyone in Trek complains about the food from the replicator except for the unfrozen people from the 20th century who all said it was amazing.

Clearly most of the people from the 24th century are spoiled.

Also Eddington was full of poo poo. "Have you ever had real food?" gently caress off with that poo poo. It's there 24th century equivalent of being into "raw water" or unpasteurized milk.
There were a few things the replicator couldn't really swing, from what I remember in the Technical Guide. Mostly Andorian stuff.

I imagine it's a mixture of the computer only having one 'version' or having minor variances on that version, so you begin to notice all its little flaws if you order crab rangoons twice a week and it's always the exact same seven rangoons; general organic touchi-feeliness because people in Star Trek all went to school in California; and the general complaining about the quality of clouds in Heaven.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Drone posted:

Jean-Luc, blow up the drat thread!

So much for the Trek Thread-E. We barely knew her. Think they'll post another one?

"planty of latters lift in teh albavet" - nine-gear crow

(kidding, the op is pretty good)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

BioEnchanted posted:

:allears: lol

eddington is one of the only people on the station that takes things incredibly personally, even if he later says it's not

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If this is the Trek Thread-F it’ll just be decommissioned a week from now after Nine Gear Crow is brutally permabanned and then we’ll rename the Modern Trek thread the Trek Thread-G.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

just throwing it out there: eddington was a loving idiot for becoming a terrorist because he figured out how to grow plants

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cross-Section posted:

Ideally you could program in an algorithm to subtly change food consistency and temperature but dammit the head of astrophysics needs that extra processing power to chart a brown dwarf or some poo poo

Oh come on we all know 95% of all computation power in the federation goes to holodecks related activities.

Also it really doesn't make much sense with the amount of science people who would be replicating their food daily, that there wouldn't of been just a whole bunch of them who would of figured out many different ways to make food not taste identical every time you get it. Like this seems something that should be pretty trivial to figure out, and even in Starfleet crew members often seem to have time to work on what ever side projects they just feel like.

I put people complaining about the food as people just like to complain about poo poo. I don't care how far humanities advanced, people love to bitch and moan about random stuff. Oh this stake isn't michelin five stars delicious. Complete garbage. Utterly unedible swill.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 28, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Maquis in general are very loving stupid and I have no sympathy for any of them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just seen the episode where (mid-season 4 spoilers) Dukat and Kira trade a cardassian freighter for a Klingon Bird of Prey which was a fun one. I like that it's basically her teaching him how to stop following the blueprint and start building ships made entirely of guns with one engine to let it move.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Oh come on we all know 95% of all computation power in the federation goes to holodecks related activities.

Also it really doesn't make much sense with the amount of science people who would be replicating their food daily, that there wouldn't of been just a whole bunch of them who would of figured out many different ways to make food not taste identical every time you get it. Like this seems something that should be pretty trivial to figure out, and even in Starfleet crew members often seem to have time to work on what ever side projects they just feel like.

I put people complaining about the food as people just like to complain about poo poo. I don't care how far humanities advanced, people love to bitch and moan about random stuff. Oh this stake isn't michelin five stars delicious. Complete garbage. Utterly unedible swill.

complaining about the food is fine. we see lots of people cooking their own stuff: riker, sisko and even pike. riker and sisko in particular note that it either tastes better or provides more variety, and i think that's a pretty solid reason for doing it. i'm lazy as poo poo and probably wouldn't bother personally, but if they want to do that, then i don't see the harm

...however, becoming a terrorist because you've discovered tomatoes is insane

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I remember not trusting eddington right from the start, and gently caress the original starfleet security guy who was up himself too, luckily he seemed to disappear like a tng first season chief of engineering

always figured replicated food was okay just a bit different and not in a great way- like it was reheated in the microwave

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

and gently caress the original starfleet security guy who was up himself too, luckily he seemed to disappear like a tng first season chief of engineering

I have his musical “Constable Odoooo” forever engraved in my brain for some reason

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

TBH on the Cardassians it always seems kind of lazy when sci-fi uses lizard people as villains because of the associated stigma with being literally cold blooded. Cold blood doesn't mean your evil, it just means you can't regulate your own body temperature. I'd like to see a sci-fi series with lizard people where rather than using that cliche, they just spend their time in comfy sweaters or with other outfits that help regulate their temperature, or having them just acting like lizards. It would be cute to have a heatwave episode where a bunch of humanoid lizards are just basking on the promenade to store heat because they know when it's over the station will be a bit colder than they'd like.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

I remember not trusting eddington right from the start, and gently caress the original starfleet security guy who was up himself too, luckily he seemed to disappear like a tng first season chief of engineering

always figured replicated food was okay just a bit different and not in a great way- like it was reheated in the microwave

i think the writers said that was intentional. before the klingon arc derailed everything, the main threat of the show was the changelings — you were supposed to not be sure if he was an infiltrator, and to be fair, they do an excellent job of it. see also:

BioEnchanted posted:

he's really pretty boring at first and just does his job, which is exactly what you'd expect from a changeling infiltrator

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

I have his musical “Constable Odoooo” forever engraved in my brain for some reason

God, same

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HD DAD posted:

also gonna have to :yossame: this

it's tattooed. i'll probably have advanced dementia at some point and call people "con-stable ooodoooo"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just seen the episode where (mid-season 4 spoilers) Dukat and Kira trade a cardassian freighter for a Klingon Bird of Prey which was a fun one. I like that it's basically her teaching him how to stop following the blueprint and start building ships made entirely of guns with one engine to let it move.
Star Trek: Trillion Credit Squadron.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The really stupid thing is that tomatoes are a one year plant. Like, it goes from seed to big plant within a few months and then dies in the autumn and you have to start over. Actually a pretty good metaphor for what the marquee should have been doing.

They could at least have done wine or olives, where the plants can be hundreds of years old, but no, go with tomatoes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bismack Billabongo posted:

If Wishes Were Horses or The Storyteller?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

If Wishes Were Horses or The Storyteller?

gently caress it, i like "if wishes were horses". it's a more TOS-ish episode than TNG; it really reminds me of "shore leave", right down to children's book characters appearing and things seemingly going disastrously wrong. that said i don't think it's excellent or anything, maybe a solid C+

"the storyteller" is a D at best though

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the mid-show episode with Benjamin getting hit by a temporal blast due to an accident and Jake seeing him randomly appear and disappear throughout his life, culminating in Jake committing suicide after realising that the reason his father never stabilised was that he was dragging him along the timeline like a temporal anchor. That was a very strong episode. The Visitor

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

I always figured that it was the repetition. The food is of good quality, but once you've tried all 38 versions of mac and cheese in the replicator library you know literally exactly what you're going to get whenever you order mac and cheese, in taste, texture, arrangement, and everything else. That's perfectly fine (even good) for some people, but others will always want some real cooking for more variety.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I just want to know if Riker was a bad cook or if it really was just the eggs.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

holefoods posted:

I just want to know if Riker was a bad cook or if it really was just the eggs.

i think it's implied he's a terrible chef but just loves cooking anyway. which is fine, he looks like he enjoys the poo poo out of it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I could see Star Trek hipsters becoming preoccupied with things that we used to bemoan, like dust on developed photos, or VHS tracking stripes, and deliberately order burnt food.

"Mmm so authentic!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Roadie posted:

I always figured that it was the repetition. The food is of good quality, but once you've tried all 38 versions of mac and cheese in the replicator library you know literally exactly what you're going to get whenever you order mac and cheese, in taste, texture, arrangement, and everything else. That's perfectly fine (even good) for some people, but others will always want some real cooking for more variety.

I’d figure by the 24th century, there’d be some random variables they could toss into the food algorithms, like After Effects expressions. “Pick a random number between 4-8 in terms of creaminess of this potato salad recipe”.