Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Logically speaking one must consider TAS to be akin to TOS, as it was essentially a continuation of the Enterprise's mission in the original figure. Also, it means that Kirk got Satan off the hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

having previously met and befriended satan is why kirk was immediately skeptical of god in st5

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

“what does god need w a starship?? another way to oppress lucifer, who is my dear friend????”

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

In that episode IIRC Lucifer was a cool guy who befriended and helped them, and the rest of the people in that planet were massive a-holes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

bull3964 posted:

Remember how Into Darkness had magical necromancing blood that apparently only Khan had despite the fact that they had a whole ship full of frozen augments that should have all the same blood?

Remember how Admiral Robocop's crack plan was to have Kirk fire non-functional torpedoes at Kronos to kill Khan and provoke a war with the Klingons despite the fact that the torpedoes were, in fact, not torpedos but instead vessels for Khan to smuggle his people out? So, no real warheads, may not actually start an incident with the Klingons, and Admiral Robocop loses his only leverage over Khan while probably not killing him.

It's not directly mentioned, but I assumed it wasn't terribly easy to get blood from a cryogenically frozen person fast enough to save Kirk's life.

If I recall this specific plot point about the torpedoes , Marcus provided him with all the torpedoes, but wasn't aware that Khan was using the torpedoes to smuggle out the other Augments. It makes sense that Marcus thinks he's giving Kirk an overwhelming amount of destructive power because that would be perfect for goading the Klingons into an all-out war.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 12, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Timby posted:

Really? Into Darkness has a planet terraforming device? It has Khan wanting to take revenge on Kirk? It has Kirk as an Academy instructor, dreading his advancing age, and itching to get back to hopping galaxies instead of being an administrator / teacher? There's a ticking time bomb doomsday device?

You must have seen a different movie.

Yes, there is a ticking time bomb and yes, Khan hates Kirk (for no reason, as they meet for the first time in the movie). That's my point: none of the nuance, none of the intertwining themes that made TWoK a success; just ticking off elements on a list:
x Khan
x Doomsday device
x Someone has to die (and be revived, because why not rip off Search for Spock as well?)
x "Khaaaaaaaaan!"
x Carol Marcus, but this time in a bikini! (because why not titillate the audience?).

Utterly garbage move; the Trek cinematic equivalent to Star Wars IX: Somehow, Palpatine Returns.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 12, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1778860845985894798

Too bad about LDS but 5 seasons is way more than I woulda expected. Five seasons seems to be the max for ST shows these days.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I like the part where spock and kahn fall off of one space garbage truck and land on a second, identical, one.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the augments had resurrection blood and lived in torpedoes to echo the genesis device: a bomb that brings life to the lifeless

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That really sucks about LDS but it's more than I hoped for

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Does Lower Decks get abbreviated to LDS? I think it's more fitting that the poor ensigns don't even get a third letter

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, every trek show has to have a TLA, it's tradition. And LDS is the actual show abbreviation production uses, apparently.

Plus it's a tribute to TVH.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2024

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

In the sexist as gently caress 80s, Carol Marcus: middle aged scientist, who does advanced scientific work and wears clothes like a person.

In the enlightened 2010s, Carol Marcus: oh no my titties is out. you didn't see did you teehee
It's too late. I've already seen everything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

V-Men posted:

If I recall this specific plot point about the torpedoes , Marcus provided him with all the torpedoes, but wasn't aware that Khan was using the torpedoes to smuggle out the other Augments. It makes sense that Marcus thinks he's giving Kirk an overwhelming amount of destructive power because that would be perfect for goading the Klingons into an all-out war.

Marcus knew. Marcus discovering the plot was the whole reason Khan fled to Kronos.

Let's assume Marcus didn't know. Even then it's dumb as hell because his grand plan is to outfit the Enterprise with experimental torpedoes BUILT BY THE GUY THAT JUST DOUBLE CROSSED HIM.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 12, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Marcus knew. Marcus discovering the plot was the whole reason Khan fled to Kronos.

Marcus knew something was up but didn't know they were in the torpedoes. Khan went to Kronos to force Marcus to load the torpedoes onto a ship to threaten him. I think maybe?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Marcus knew something was up but didn't know they were in the torpedoes. Khan went to Kronos to force Marcus to load the torpedoes onto a ship to threaten him. I think maybe?

Marcus knew.

quote:

KIRK: And what exactly would you like me to do with the rest of his crew, sir? Fire them at the Klingons? End seventy two lives? Start a war in the process?

MARCUS: He put those people in those torpedoes. And I simply didn't want to burden you with knowing what was inside of them. You saw what this man can do all by himself. Can you imagine what would happen if we woke up the rest of his crew? What else did he tell you? That he's a peacekeeper? He's playing you, son, don't you see that? Khan and his crew were condemned to death as war criminals. And now it is our duty to carry out that sentence before anybody else dies because of him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah, that's right, he gave the torpedoes to kirk as a way of disposing of the 72 followers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah, that's right, he gave the torpedoes to kirk as a way of disposing of the 72 followers.

Exactly. Marcus' plan was to kill two birds with one stone: Eliminate Khan and his followers, and start the war with the Klingons that he so desperately craved.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Into Darkness is the movie where the Klingons have really trendy forehead ridge piercings right?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Piercings by K'laire's

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Into Darkness is the movie where the Klingons have really trendy forehead ridge piercings right?

It's also the movie in which the Klingon Birds of Prey emit TIE Fighter engine roar noises.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

It's also the movie in which the Klingon Birds of Prey emit TIE Fighter engine roar noises.

To be fair it's not the first Star Trek movie where Birds of Prey have used famous star wars sound effects.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 13, 2024

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

To be fair it's not the first Star Trek movie where Birds of Prey have used famous star wars sound effects.

Yeah, doesn't the BoP in The Final Frontier emit X-Wing laser sounds when it shoots the probe at the beginning?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No, the probe screams when Kor shoots at it. One of the most bizarre moments of that movie.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

Exactly. Marcus' plan was to kill two birds with one stone: Eliminate Khan and his followers, and start the war with the Klingons that he so desperately craved.

Except for the fact that Carol Marcus states that Khan removed the fuel container from the torpedo to fit the cryo components.

The whole POINT of these advanced torpedoes were that they were long range and that Kirk thought the Enterprise could attack Khan at a standoff distance. That was the whole reason why Admiral Robocop had to sabotage the warp drive, so that the Enterprise was slowed in escape.

What is a long range torpedo without fuel? I think Khan was quite safe from torpedoes that wouldn't be able to propel themselves to the target.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nonetheless, it was still dumb as poo poo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

why was data’s day not called a wedding and a devoras

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bull3964 posted:

What is a long range torpedo without fuel? I think Khan was quite safe from torpedoes that wouldn't be able to propel themselves to the target.

Hey, if Khanspawn blood can bring people back from the dead, for all we know it can also serve as a highly efficient torpedo fuel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Yeah, doesn't the BoP in The Final Frontier emit X-Wing laser sounds when it shoots the probe at the beginning?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No, the probe screams when Kor shoots at it. One of the most bizarre moments of that movie.

Both!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Nonetheless, it was still dumb as poo poo

Classic Star Trek: Nonetheless, it was still dumb as poo poo

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hey, if Khanspawn blood can bring people back from the dead, for all we know it can also serve as a highly efficient torpedo fuel.

It also gets out stubborn grease stains and makes a delicious alternative to yamok sauce.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't mind that an episode like The Measure of a Man isn't logically consistent with the universe it's set in because the point of the episode is to explore how and why those types of rights are established. It would be far less satisfying to just be told that Data is sapient and has full rights than it is to actually see what those arguments might look like, because ultimately Star Trek is an exploration of values and not just a series of historical events being broadcast to us.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's just weird that it's Starfleet deciding it can rule on if someone is property or a person when that's something that you would think should go to the highest court in the land and involve several experts in the fields of psychology, robotics, AI, and law.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's just weird that it's Starfleet deciding it can rule on if someone is property or a person when that's something that you would think should go to the highest court in the land and involve several experts in the fields of psychology, robotics, AI, and law.

Sure, but at the end of the day it isn't a documentary, it's a set up to watch our TV friends do Acting

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah, it's just normally they get around the inconsistency by making it an alien court. It's the standard trek way.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

bull3964 posted:

Let's assume Marcus didn't know. Even then it's dumb as hell because his grand plan is to outfit the Enterprise with experimental torpedoes BUILT BY THE GUY THAT JUST DOUBLE CROSSED HIM.

Oh yeah you're right.

It still sort of works. STID sort of works but it takes so much work to extrapolate a semi-sensical plot and theme that it is clear that Orci, Cuse, and Lindelhof didn't have those ideas in their head at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

This is an edge case where the Federation working like Space America is just fine because the audience is fully willing to accept a question of fundamental rights being decided by single case precedent and that just being accepted for decades before anyone gets around to definitively settling the issue with a formal amendment/law.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

McSpanky posted:

This is an edge case where the Federation working like Space America is just fine because the audience is fully willing to accept a question of fundamental rights being decided by single case precedent and that just being accepted for decades before anyone gets around to definitively settling the issue with a formal amendment/law.

A 300 year-old precedent.

I'm surprised she didn't rule that androids counted as 3/5ths of a person.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McSpanky posted:

At least we've got the fact that they completely forgot there was a ruling at all and went full slaver mode a few decades later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

At least we've got the fact that they completely forgot there was a ruling at all and went full slaver mode a few decades later.

Just like the US!