Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Disco positioned itself as Future Trek, despite ostensibly being a prequel.

But their past -> far future timeline does leaves room for an explicit Future Trek show that simply ignores Disco while leaving it canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thankfully most of Disco can be ignored since it's so drat far into the future, which they really don't do much with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Disco will only be decanonized if a particularly spiteful fan gets control of the franchise in 20 years and creates a show to specifically to scrub its timeline from history. But even then, the mycelial network and the conditions for the burn and all that implies will stick around.

Depends how hard they go on it. Voyager got rid of threshold in a later epusode, for instance. Zahn did a similar thing late in the star wars EU. Just have a character say it never happened in a couple sentences, and move on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Or go whole hog and have morbidly obese Riker show off his fanfic holoprogram.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I am just hearing about this now, but Star Trek Infinite, that Stellaris type RTS Trek game, is not getting any further new updates per a dev's post at the end of March. Apparently it's still a buggy mess and it won't be fixed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am just hearing about this now, but Star Trek Infinite, that Stellaris type RTS Trek game, is not getting any further new updates per a dev's post at the end of March. Apparently it's still a buggy mess and it won't be fixed.

Yep, it was a pretty big shitshow all told. It was developed with virtually no QA, released about six months short of a full dev cycle, the initial release was treated like a live beta and they had about three months to fix as much as possible while also finishing development before the publisher cut the cord. No expansions, no DLC beyond the preorder bonuses, only as much mod support as a few devs on Discord could squeeze out in their off time. Womp womp.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The cool thing about Star Trek is they can just make a new timeline if they want

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FuturePastNow posted:

The cool thing about Star Trek is they can just make a new timeline if they want

Technically this is true of any fiction as long as you're determined enough.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

FuturePastNow posted:

Can and did.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McSpanky posted:

Yep, it was a pretty big shitshow all told. It was developed with virtually no QA, released about six months short of a full dev cycle, the initial release was treated like a live beta and they had about three months to fix as much as possible while also finishing development before the publisher cut the cord. No expansions, no DLC beyond the preorder bonuses, only as much mod support as a few devs on Discord could squeeze out in their off time. Womp womp.

This is a clear indication that the fans just aren't interested in a Star Trek game. Oh well, no need to considering making another one for another decade.

FuturePastNow posted:

Timelines are so 2010s. The new hotness is a ~*~MULTIVERSE~*~

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh yeah, and the announcement that the game wasn't getting any more updates was written by AI :lmao:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah that was a big waste of thirty bucks. Oh well. Threw away a lot more money back in the day when you bought games based on the box because there wasn't any other information.

If they'd given them a year of fixes (or didn't push it out early) instead of strangling it behind a dumpster it could've been good. There were promising ideas in there.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 16, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's just following in the tradition of Birth of the Federation, a game which had a major memory leak issue that I don't think was ever officially patched

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

counterfeitsaint posted:

How can Yesteryear be the only canon episode when it directly contradicts Disco?

Is Disco officially not canon? I ask, with my heart in my throat.

Episodes of Star Trek with inconsistencies between them? That never happens!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

And it works by having no one care about JJ Trek!

It would also be incredibly trivial to just handwave future Disco as a separate timeline. They can even keep the good stuff if they manage to find any, just like how there's a convenient mirror universe counterpart for everyone despite the history being entirely different.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm not so mad that the future means everything is ruined but I am mad that the future of star trek is just stupid.
I guess the past is quite stupid too (TOS) so eh whatever

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is a clear indication that the fans just aren't interested in a Star Trek game. Oh well, no need to considering making another one for another decade.

And yet here I am with Birth of the Federation's page on Myabandonware open as I'm debating downloading it and getting it to work.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'd love a really obscure Star Trek simulation game but there's no reason to make that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Der Kyhe posted:

Also worth keeping in mind, it is as close as cartoon show for adults in network TV you could get at the times, it clearly isn't written for children...

unfortunately that isn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctobqk0RFeE

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

McSpanky posted:

Oh yeah, and the announcement that the game wasn't getting any more updates was written by AI :lmao:

You gotta be making GBS threads me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Plotac 75 posted:

You gotta be making GBS threads me.

Welcome to the future!

It's not the Star Trek one we were hoping for

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BonHair posted:

And it works by having no one care about JJ Trek!

It would also be incredibly trivial to just handwave future Disco as a separate timeline. They can even keep the good stuff if they manage to find any, just like how there's a convenient mirror universe counterpart for everyone despite the history being entirely different.

In a surprise twist, the Disco future IS the future of the mirror universe, and there's a vast high-level conspiracy to hide its true history and nature from the citizens of the Federation and the galaxy at large!

(You know they'd loving do it.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
"What Are Little Girls Made Of" is easily the best episode of TOS so far. Just a neat Gothic horror story where Frankenstein's monster thinks that he's Frankenstein.

(This might be the first science-fiction story to contrive a scenario where the hero saves the day by saying a slur. Except it doesn't work, because Spock arrives too late.)

The really interesting thing is how the androids' problem is just that they're extremely neurotic. Their minds seem basically human, including the ancient android Ruk, who recalls long-ago events vaguely and with great difficulty. Doctor Korby keeps talking about how he and the other androids can't feel, but he's obviously having a nervous breakdown at the realization that he's not Dr. Roger Korby. He concludes that We belong dead. But what if he had just taken a few days to relax?

I never watched TOS before, but I did rent "The Cage" on VHS. So I'm looking forward to "The Menagerie."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wish they’d hide the existence and memory of Disco from the entire franchise

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

"What Are Little Girls Made Of" is easily the best episode of TOS so far. Just a neat Gothic horror story where Frankenstein's monster thinks that he's Frankenstein.

(This might be the first science-fiction story to contrive a scenario where the hero saves the day by saying a slur. Except it doesn't work, because Spock arrives too late.)

The really interesting thing is how the androids' problem is just that they're extremely neurotic. Their minds seem basically human, including the ancient android Ruk, who recalls long-ago events vaguely and with great difficulty. Doctor Korby keeps talking about how he and the other androids can't feel, but he's obviously having a nervous breakdown at the realization that he's not Dr. Roger Korby. He concludes that We belong dead. But what if he had just taken a few days to relax?

I never watched TOS before, but I did rent "The Cage" on VHS. So I'm looking forward to "The Menagerie."

This is a really funny scene, whether in context or not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkb0mKz_t4

I also like the part where Chapel is chatting with Kirk, and it isn't revealed until the end that he's in fact the android Korby created. I've always thought that was pretty well done.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
DALLAS -- The first model of the USS Enterprise — used in the opening credits of the original “Star Trek” television series — has boldly gone back home, returning to creator Gene Roddenberry's son decades after it went missing.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/long-lost-uss-enterprise-model-returned-star-trek-109386944

quote:

“This is not going home to adorn my shelves," Roddenberry said. “This is going to get restored and we’re working on ways to get it out so the public can see it and my hope is that it will land in a museum somewhere.”

Good on you, Eugene.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Has he considered a certain group of drunken movie reviewers for the rrstoration and mounting?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yep, one day a certain warehouse in Wisconsin will be a fine VHS/plinko board museum.

That counts right?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boxturret posted:

Has he considered a certain group of drunken movie reviewers for the rrstoration and mounting?

Get the guy who did the restoration on the great big model in the Smithsonian, with the way-too-detailed paint job that everyone hated.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Oh, dear....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxfALIIwoNI

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

:chloe:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I watched way too much of Shades of Grey before realizing they weren't revisiting scenes and changing them slightly, it was just a clip show.

What a dumb episode.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think the "negative emotions" supercut freaked me out a little as a kid.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Everyone loves Data, the cowboy from Toy Story

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

Everyone loves Data, the cowboy from Toy Story

Going by the collar pips, I think he's Supreme Chancellor of the Federation.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 20, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not sure if it's intended as a joke, but I like that the Enterprise looks different in every shot

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I mean its an Al thing so....

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Enterprise had to decommission Dall-E Holodecks because people could only run scenes for a few minutes before they started melting into undecipherable blobs of crew person and poorly simulated objects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not sure if it's intended as a joke, but I like that the Enterprise looks different in every shot

Boxturret posted:

I mean its an Al thing so....

I mean, yeah but...

Ever take a look at an early TMP poster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

bull3964 posted:

I mean, yeah but...

Ever take a look at an early TMP poster?

:saddowns: