Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did they not have a finalized design of the ship at that point or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It was likely a very early design.

The model for the ship itself might have been in flux.

They had talked about some sets and designs that had been made for the new Star Trek show which became the movie had to be scrapped and redone since it didn't have the detail needed for movies. Probably true of the model itself they originally had.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I mean, yeah but...

Ever take a look at an early TMP poster?

drat I vaguely remember that thing. I was a lad so I was mostly going "Look at those warp nacelles!" and going :eyepop: at the crew photos.

I didn't notice how weird it looked.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Given how sci-fi was usually marketed in that era, I wouldn't be surprised if the entirety of the guidance for that movie poster was "like the one in the TV show but, y'know, fancier lookin'."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pretty sure that poster is in actually a reuse of early concept art for the Phase II refit Enterprise.

E: later concept art would much more closely resemble what would become the TMP refit, though at the time the changes weren't meant to be quite as extensive and the finaalized version was going to have more resemblance to the TOS original, with orange nacelle caps and the bronze satellite dish-style deflector:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 21, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I kinda love the Phase II Enterprise tbh

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They used that Phase II TMP poster on the cover to the latest Blu-Ray set and just covered up the deflector with a flare.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Be still my heart, as I’ve never liked TOS movies nacelles even though the rest of the ship looks great

Also the covers of the James Blish novelizations of TOS episodes had some pretty cool paintings of the original enterprise with various … artist interpretations.

They all looked cool as gently caress though as art pieces

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

They used that Phase II TMP poster on the cover to the latest Blu-Ray set and just covered up the deflector with a flare.

OK I find it incredibly strange that they made a 4 movie set. That's really odd when there are 6 total TOS films, and I know I have seen previous collections of just those.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah especially because 6 is a really important one for me. I don't want to buy the 4K set unless it's included.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think it was just a case of Paramount being greedy and hoping people would get impatient and double-dip. There’s a complete 6-movie 4K set now that iirc came out less than a year after that 4-movie set.

They did a similar thing for the old Blu-rays where 2-4 came out as a trilogy set and then a complete set came later.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I know there's also some weird Picard box set that has like all of TNG, all the TNG movies, and the three seasons of the Picard show

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, that big dumb expensive “The Picard Legacy” box.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
It should include Sisko telling him they've met before

I'm sure it probably doesn't

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I mean, yeah but...

Ever take a look at an early TMP poster?

That perspective makes the left nacelle look loving gigantic.

I call her biggie smalls

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kibayasu posted:

That perspective makes the left nacelle look loving gigantic.

Well that's just gravitational lensing due to harmonics of the warp field

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm watching the Wesley slap episode and when they do the bar scene geordi is talking to some twelve year old . That guy has real issues.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I put on the JJ Trek movie the other night because I haven't seen in in years and years and thought I'd give it a go and boy did I forget how much I really hated the part with the car.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Just rewatched the first episode of Best of Both Worlds and it does make you wonder what the show would be like if it had been Riker/Shelby from then on.
Knowing now what I know about Stewart I kinda feel like it might be better?

I always end up thinking that if the nearest help is six days away the borg should take a while to get to Earth, but I guess going at warp 9.6 or whatever is Very Fast so it's fine.
And it winds me up when Worf says "They're going to Sector 001. The terran system" and Riker goes "Earth". Come on guys have some faith we know what Terran means

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just found out there isn't a bluray release for DS9 or VOY and we're probably never getting anything official due to how the originals were edited. :(

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Taear posted:

Just rewatched the first episode of Best of Both Worlds and it does make you wonder what the show would be like if it had been Riker/Shelby from then on.
Knowing now what I know about Stewart I kinda feel like it might be better?

I always end up thinking that if the nearest help is six days away the borg should take a while to get to Earth, but I guess going at warp 9.6 or whatever is Very Fast so it's fine.
And it winds me up when Worf says "They're going to Sector 001. The terran system" and Riker goes "Earth". Come on guys have some faith we know what Terran means

I thought we were still the Sol system.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I just found out there isn't a bluray release for DS9 or VOY and we're probably never getting anything official due to how the originals were edited. :(
Well it also has to do with the fact that Paramount probably lost money on the TNG BluRays with all of the work they did on the effects and the cleanup of the footage.

Doing DS9 and VOY would probably not be a cost-effective move at this point

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Just put the entire series in DvD quality on a single BluRay already.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 22, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well it also has to do with the fact that Paramount probably lost money on the TNG BluRays with all of the work they did on the effects and the cleanup of the footage.

Doing DS9 and VOY would probably not be a cost-effective move at this point

I wouldn't put it past whoever eventually buys Paramount to put out a lovely AI-powered upscale of Voyager and DS9 at some point now that the tech is rapidly advancing and getting cheaper and cheaper and just dump it on a streaming platform.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'll just wait until AI upscaling involves rewriting massive chunks of the show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are fan AI upscales that apparently look pretty decent but I've never found the filez.

There's also a Space Above and Beyond one on Youtube if anyone's never seen that show.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Grand Fromage posted:

There are fan AI upscales that apparently look pretty decent but I've never found the filez.

There's also a Space Above and Beyond one on Youtube if anyone's never seen that show.

Such a great show.

Was upset in the day it got axed.

It deserved better.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I remember really liking it, but being a kid at the time. I should revisit it with fresh eyes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Space Above and Beyond had a lot of problems (in particular with its world building), but it had a ton going for it and it really deserved a second season to iron out those rough spots.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I remember really liking it, but being a kid at the time. I should revisit it with fresh eyes.

Big same, I'd love to take another swing at it. I also just read on wikipedia that it was scored by the legendary Shirley Walker, so there's also that to look forward to!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Space: Above and Beyond scored an absolute coup early on by getting R. Lee Ermy to be their flight instructor in the pilot which is just :discourse:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe I'm part of the problem, but I'd rather watch a good HD upscale of DS9/VOY with some occasional weird glitchy bit than the current poor DVD encode on its own. It's unfortunate but both of those series look terrible right now and it's a huge bummer. Obviously we should all hope for an eventual proper restoration, but it's not a lamentable thing to have a version that is easier on the eyes on a big HDTV. There's some solid amateur AI upscales of other SD shows popping up on YouTube these days.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
How did DS9 do in the ratings when it aired, anyone know?

The way some act and treat it, the show is considered the black sheep of the family and been shoved aside. Meanwhile Voyager is treated a great more reverence and honestly, it wasn't that good. Or perhaps should I say it never lived up to the potential of its concept and the talent it had. The BSG remake definitely did it better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Last Call posted:

How did DS9 do in the ratings when it aired, anyone know?

The way some act and treat it, the show is considered the black sheep of the family and been shoved aside. Meanwhile Voyager is treated a great more reverence and honestly, it wasn't that good. Or perhaps should I say it never lived up to the potential of its concept and the talent it had. The BSG remake definitely did it better.

The hand off from TNG to DS9 was really good. About like 90% of the people who were watching TNG at the time tuned in for Emmisary, and then it just fell like a loving stone and never recovered thanks its first season being poo poo and it being SUCH a whiplash different show from TNG. The baton pass from DS9 to VOY tells a similar story. Basically everyone who was watching DS9 at the time tuned in for Caretaker, and then Voyager and Deep Space Nine just tumble down the hill together like Jack and Jill till they both end. Then there's a tiny bump in viewers tuning in to see what Enterprise is all about and quickly souring on it until it kills Trek on TV completely for about a decade.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm surprised Enterprise's main run looks like it averaged higher than Voyager's last couple seasons.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's bizarre they canceled TNG based on those numbers. It looks like it had just reached It's peak.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TNG wasn't really cancelled so much as they begged the studio to let them end. Voyager really was meant to just be a continuation with a new set of actors and ship.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thotsky posted:

It's bizarre they canceled TNG based on those numbers. It looks like it had just reached It's peak.

Paramount’s thinking was twofold iirc; 1) more seasons meant bigger salaries for the cast and 2) they wanted to do TNG movies but didn’t think they’d be as successful if the show was also still airing at the time.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 22, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's wild in those days a show could have a rollercoaster descent down the ratings and still get seven seasons and end on its own terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They wanted TNG to transition to movies as the TOS crew looked like pensioners, while this time also keeping the TV show alive with DS9 and VOY.

If you look at the DS9 nosedive, the ratings are still above 10.0 around the time decision to end TNG was made.

EDIT: And if you look closely, even if both DS9 and VOY did nosedive but their combined marketshare was around ~10.0 until the very end which was comparable to what TNG pulled alone, so that's why they got seven seasons each, and were followed by a prequel show. In the 90's when Star Wars in hiatus Star Trek was huge.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 22, 2024