Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

The hand off from TNG to DS9 was really good. About like 90% of the people who were watching TNG at the time tuned in for Emmisary, and then it just fell like a loving stone and never recovered thanks its first season being poo poo and it being SUCH a whiplash different show from TNG. The baton pass from DS9 to VOY tells a similar story. Basically everyone who was watching DS9 at the time tuned in for Caretaker, and then Voyager and Deep Space Nine just tumble down the hill together like Jack and Jill till they both end. Then there's a tiny bump in viewers tuning in to see what Enterprise is all about and quickly souring on it until it kills Trek on TV completely for about a decade.

But don't ratings in the 90s/00s look like that for almost everything? The amount of available shows grew exponentially and therefore, each individual show had a smaller audience, except maybe Friends and Seinfeld?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Peggotty posted:

But don't ratings in the 90s/00s look like that for almost everything? The amount of available shows grew exponentially and therefore, each individual show had a smaller audience, except maybe Friends and Seinfeld?

This kind of context could be instructive, can you provide some examples?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

The hand off from TNG to DS9 was really good. About like 90% of the people who were watching TNG at the time tuned in for Emmisary, and then it just fell like a loving stone and never recovered thanks its first season being poo poo and it being SUCH a whiplash different show from TNG. The baton pass from DS9 to VOY tells a similar story. Basically everyone who was watching DS9 at the time tuned in for Caretaker, and then Voyager and Deep Space Nine just tumble down the hill together like Jack and Jill till they both end. Then there's a tiny bump in viewers tuning in to see what Enterprise is all about and quickly souring on it until it kills Trek on TV completely for about a decade.

A tangent but curiosity took over and I needed to know what those two episodes with the punishingly low ratings were

Turns out it was Voyager s5e21 "Juggernaut" (written by Bryan Fuller) taking out worst rating episode of the franchise, beating Enterprise s3e19 "Damage"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Seemlar posted:

A tangent but curiosity took over and I needed to know what those two episodes with the punishingly low ratings were

Turns out it was Voyager s5e21 "Juggernaut" (written by Bryan Fuller) taking out worst rating episode of the franchise, beating Enterprise s3e19 "Damage"

Note that "Juggernaut" aired six days after the Columbine shootings, so the low rating is not wholly the product of quality or expectations; in addition to people watching news coverage instead, there were probably preemptions and reschedulings in some markets. I think, as usual, we can award Enterprise the true nadir here.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

If you peep the Imgur account of the person who made that, they have some other cool Trek statistics.

Analysis of viewer ratings/reactions: https://imgur.com/gallery/ieRHR

A closer look at DS9 stats: https://imgur.com/gallery/iYYwF

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

This kind of context could be instructive, can you provide some examples?

Not really, no, that's why I phrased it as a question. It's just something that I remember reading somewhere and it sounded plausible.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pretty sure this very thread has mentioned it before

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

disaster pastor posted:

Note that "Juggernaut" aired six days after the Columbine shootings, so the low rating is not wholly the product of quality or expectations; in addition to people watching news coverage instead, there were probably preemptions and reschedulings in some markets. I think, as usual, we can award Enterprise the true nadir here.

Also ‘Damage’ was the first episode after a long break (IIRC it was something like 6 weeks) - depending on how it was promoted people might not have realized it was back.

It would be interesting to see what impact extended breaks had on the viewing figures of the first new episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Dignity posted:

It's wild in those days a show could have a rollercoaster descent down the ratings and still get seven seasons and end on its own terms

DS9 was in syndication and VOY was on a network owned by Paramount itself at the time and was basically the only thing people were tuning into that network to watch before they got WWE Smackdown. I imagine those factors helped a bit in keeping both shows alive. Like how Discovery would have been killed after its first season if it was on any other platform but P+ and the only reason it got axed was because Paramount was/is bleeding money like it's the blow out valve on the Hoover Dam and Disco is expensive as poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

VOY was on a network owned by Paramount itself at the time

Co-owned by Paramount. The other partner in the UPN venture was Chris-Craft Industries (yes, the boat company). And I don't think Paramount actually had any ownership of UPN until 1997, now that I think about it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

Co-owned by Paramount. The other partner in the UPN venture was Chris-Craft Industries (yes, the boat company). And I don't think Paramount actually had any ownership of UPN until 1997, now that I think about it.

this is a good video series (2 parts, plus some corrections) about what the gently caress was going on with UPN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVwcD66KUSY

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Peggotty posted:

Eh, not really in the 90s. There were more channels, but not really that much more programming on them - most of them were largely just cheap to play reruns that you put on if there was nothing new you wanted to watch.

Looking at genre shows around the same time, Buffy largely only dipped in its last series, Farscape stayed steady throughout it's run, Sliders fell off a cliff half way through the first season but then stayed steady until the end, Xfiles grew to a peak, fell a few years in, but steadied above where it started, and then completely collapsed towards the end. Shows that plummeted tended to be shows that had just outstayed their welcome, which for a lot of people was probably somewhere around TNG S7. People were just done Star Trekkin' for a while by 1995.

You don't really see the trend you said until DVRs came in, and you could just queue up everything you thought you want to watch instead of watching something you were only kinda into because it was all that was on that evening. Plus ratings didn't count DVR viewing for years for....some reason, I never quite got?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah especially because 6 is a really important one for me. I don't want to buy the 4K set unless it's included.

I always loved the idea of the 5+1 VHS set (which we had)

"Why the gently caress should we redo the tape sleeves for the new box set? The nerds aren't going to care!"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phy posted:

"Why the gently caress should we redo the tape sleeves for the new box set? The nerds aren't going to care!"

honestly i kind of like the symbolism of the undiscovered country being enterprise-free and heading out into open space. fits the name and the themes pretty well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The sleeve for VI should have a little pair of gravity boots floating through space

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Phy posted:

Yeah I have this set too, I wonder where I left it…

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Honestly kinda baffled at the mere idea of this tactical cop bullshit also somehow being someone’s Star Trek cosplay

https://twitter.com/starfleethist/status/1782491852417138980?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are always gonna be people who see something like Section 31 and think they're the good guys. And there are people who like hardcore milsim and also like the aesthetics of Star Trek and want to combine the two, no matter how much it's arguably against the spirit of Trek. Other franchises are a better fit for that approach, but like, I didn't grow up watching a Warhammer 40k TV show every week, I watched Star Trek.

I mean, ADB has been doing their Star Fleet Battles game for years and years, and their whole approach to Star Trek is just space combat.

Now I want to find that old b&w shareware Star Trek game. The one where you just roam a procedurally generated star map fighting Klingons and refueling at space stations.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 23, 2024

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
PICARD: What? That nonsense is centuries behind us.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Peggotty posted:

Yeah, I think that graph is missing a 'mean ratings for TV in general curve' as a point of comparison

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly kinda baffled at the mere idea of this tactical cop bullshit also somehow being someone’s Star Trek cosplay
https://twitter.com/starfleethist/status/1782491852417138980?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

"...to the sands of Cestus III."

Cestus III was the planet where Kirk fought the Gorn captain thanks to the Metrons. He did it without any tactilol gear, but rather an improvised arquebus (or some similar archaic black powder weapon; not an expert myself in the terminology). He was a Starfleet officer, not a "Marine." And the situation was resolved ultimately through the abandonment of violence and fighting, not through further infliction of pain.

In other words, completely missing the point.

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, ADB has been doing their Star Fleet Battles game for years and years, and their whole approach to Star Trek is just space combat.
In all fairness, ADB has attempted to put out a Trek RPG multiple times -- their own system, under GURPS, and I'm sure another I'm forgetting. The catch is that the RPGs have been heavily militarized, or at least paramilitarized, in focus -- scenarios are "hostage rescue" and "climactic gunfights with Romulans" and the like.

But this is an outgrowth of the SFB license and mentality. They had the rights to the blueprints but not literary elements, and were a bunch of engineers and wargamers, so what sort of game were they going to make? Not a co-op mission-based skill game like Star Trek: Expeditions.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 23, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's been a while since I checked in on those guys, but I remember Steve Cole talking about what he'd do if he were in charge of Star Trek, and he talked about "bringing some military sense to the scripts." I just get the impression that they have very, like, conservative-leaning 70s New Wave Sci Fi old man ideas about how to do science fiction.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Admiralty Flag posted:

"...to the sands of Cestus III."

Cestus III was the planet where Kirk fought the Gorn captain thanks to the Metrons. He did it without any tactilol gear, but rather an improvised arquebus (or some similar archaic black powder weapon; not an expert myself in the terminology). He was a Starfleet officer, not a "Marine." And the situation was resolved ultimately through the abandonment of violence and fighting, not through further infliction of pain.

In other words, completely missing the point.

Perhaps the marines started the baseball league that was thriving on Cestus III a hundred years later.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hot take here but maybe the peaceful exploration organization shouldn’t have marines at all

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'd like to see a sci-fi franchise that completely dispenses with naval tradition. Spaceships aren't boats! An aggressive space military doesn't need marines either!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hot take here but maybe the peaceful exploration organization shouldn’t have marines at all

We desire peaceful exploration *builds a heavily armed armada that goes toe to toe with every imperial power in the quadrant*

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd like to see a sci-fi franchise that completely dispenses with naval tradition. Spaceships aren't boats! An aggressive space military doesn't need marines either!

I'd like to see the opposite where an Age of Sail culture is Uplifted to warp capability and maintains every aspect of naval tradition, including rigging, hardtack, cannonade broadsides and rum/lash motivation

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Soul Dentist posted:

I'd like to see the opposite where an Age of Sail culture is Uplifted to warp capability and maintains every aspect of naval tradition, including rigging, hardtack, cannonade broadsides and rum/lash motivation

This is Spelljammer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Soul Dentist posted:

:yeah: Treasure Planet but serious.

Rebel Moon 2 had evil space battleships powered by space stokers shoveling space coal. Good touch imo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but Saurian brandy, jamaharon, and the agony booth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

The current Trek TTRPG system has a setting book where one of the native species is kind of like this: It's actually pretty neat as a concept, in that the Federation are unclear if interacting with them counts as breaking the Prime Directive because they CAN build warp drives and spacecraft, it's just that their culture is such that they don't. So their society is pretty much Age of Sail in aesthetic and technology, but if they see a phaser they're like, "oh cool, is that using a phlebotnum power cell or unobtanium?"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Soul Dentist posted:

And the buggering. So, so much buggering.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

lol

If you want to do your tacticool Star Trek cosplay you can dress up as a MACO! That's actually in the loving show!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That looks to be entirely modern "marine" kit, he just added a comm badge and picked up a phaser. He's got glowsticks on his belt.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gaz-L posted:

The current Trek TTRPG system has a setting book where one of the native species is kind of like this: It's actually pretty neat as a concept, in that the Federation are unclear if interacting with them counts as breaking the Prime Directive because they CAN build warp drives and spacecraft, it's just that their culture is such that they don't. So their society is pretty much Age of Sail in aesthetic and technology, but if they see a phaser they're like, "oh cool, is that using a phlebotnum power cell or unobtanium?"

Kinda sounds like the Ba'Ku from Insurrection, but not so much the age of sail aesthetic.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Halloween Jack posted:

It's been a while since I checked in on those guys, but I remember Steve Cole talking about what he'd do if he were in charge of Star Trek, and he talked about "bringing some military sense to the scripts." I just get the impression that they have very, like, conservative-leaning 70s New Wave Sci Fi old man ideas about how to do science fiction.

People getting geared up to act as weekened warriors are a joke, yet Star Trek hasn't been a stranger to adding military or naval aspects to the series or movies.

Star Trek II is famous for this due to Roddenberry hating the naval or military traits that were put into the structure of the movie. He believed the film to be about the action and violence, this he didn't care for. He was even upset Kirk killed the slug that came out of Chekov's ear instead of collecting it to study. The guy got so petty about everything he started to leak the fact Spock was going to die. It's why we got the opening we did to trick those who heard the rumor. Didn't stop him from trying to spoil other future movies with his hissy fits.

If he hadn't died decades ago seeing MACO being a thing would have gave him an outright heart attack.

In conclusion

Tactical RP'ers that get geared up and think they are bad rear end are pathetic.
Star Trek was always better off away from Roddenberry

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Soul Dentist posted:

Look up the short story The Road Not Taken by Harry Turtledove.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There are so many things that Roddenberry apparently didn't want to be part of Star Trek, including zippers, that it makes me wonder what a Trek series would look like if every episode had to satisfy his conception of it 100%. Uncharitably, it seems like every episode would be some kind of psychosexual drama that happens due to the manipulations of godlike beings or people developing reality-warping superpowers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Powered Descent posted:

Look up the short story The Road Not Taken by Harry Turtledove.

Just read the wikipedia summary, I love a good asymmetrical species story. Everything in Star Trek is too same sometimes, aliens all developed along the same trajectory, at the same speed, at about the same time. They just evolved slightly different foreheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but Saurian brandy, jamaharon, and the agony booth.

:britain: