Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've always disliked when other people do this but now I guess it's my turn.

Is there an existing list of highlights/best episodes for Voyager and Enterprise?

I've been slowly going through TNG and DS9 with some friends who haven't seen Trek yet. It's been great but after a few years we're done with the best Trek Series; DS9. They really want to keep going, but the idea of watching a combined eleven seasons of Voyager and Enterprise makes me want to scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon. Part of me wants to skip ahead to Lower Decks, but since that is basically Trek References: The Show I can understand them wanting to at least have some familiarity with the others first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just go with em and see if they vibe, lots and lots of star trek fans really like those two shows.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah Voyager is consistently the most popular show with normal people. If they aren't enjoying it, skip ahead to season four. The show gets significantly better at that point, 4/5 are solid seasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm also of the strong opinion that one must take the gestalt view to fully appreciate Trek and that means no skipped episodes. Except 11:59.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm also of the strong opinion that one must take the gestalt view to fully appreciate Trek and that means no skipped episodes. Except 11:59.

You can’t skip 11:59! You’ll regret this!

The real episode you should skip is The Outcast, because it’s absolutely unforgivable today.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Also watch, if nothing else from ENT, watch the S4 from second episode to second to last. They are way better than the average ENT was, few episodes from seasons 1-3 not included.

If you want more variety, watch the pilot, episodes S2E2 Carbon Creek and S2E4 Dead Stop, maybe S2E23 Regeneration (if you watched the First contact movie, otherwise it does not make sense), S3E8 Twilight, S3E9 North Star, S3E21 E^21, and S4E3 thorugh S4E21.

Also if you want to watch an actor starting a career nosedive and understand why Mayweather didn't get that many lines later, watch S2E20 Horizon.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Arivia posted:

You can’t skip 11:59! You’ll regret this!

The real episode you should skip is The Outcast, because it’s absolutely unforgivable today.

How is it "unforgivable"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ent S2E22 Cogenitor is a really Solid Episode of Star Trek that really lands the combination of "classic Star Trek premise" with "lol these people have no idea what they're doing they're the first humans to do this".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

How is it "unforgivable"
Forget about interpreting the story as supporting conversion therapy; the actual crime is that they chickened out of casting a man.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ent S2E22 Cogenitor is a really Solid Episode of Star Trek that really lands the combination of "classic Star Trek premise" with "lol these people have no idea what they're doing they're the first humans to do this".

Yes, this was one of the episodes which I also considered adding to the list. There really isn't even a silver lining "oops we did everything wrong but were accidentally right". Trip just completely fucks up because he doesn't get the idea of what diplomacy is, and keeps pushing the Earth social norms on the aliens.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Forget about interpreting the story as supporting conversion therapy; the actual crime is that they chickened out of casting a man.

It likely wouldn't have aired. This was a time when episodes with women kissing had viewer advisories attached or got skipped by some stations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's also just an incredibly bleak episode that ends with a person being brainwashed and the status quo being upheld, very un-Star Trek

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

S4 from second episode to second to last. They are way better than the average ENT was, few episodes from seasons 1-3 not included.

If you want more variety, watch the pilot, episodes S2E2 Carbon Creek and S2E4 Dead Stop, maybe S2E23 Regeneration (if you watched the First contact movie, otherwise it does not make sense), S3E8 Twilight, S3E9 North Star, S3E21 E^21, and S4E3 thorugh S4E21.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ent S2E22 Cogenitor is a really Solid Episode of Star Trek

This is a good list

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Trip was 100% right.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I've said it before but Voyager is comfort food Trek, its just not as good as TNG or DS9

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
For ENT, I'd also tack on that you should probably watch any episode with Jeffery Combs in it, because Shran is an S tier Trek guest character.

(except S4e22, there is no 22nd episode of Season 4, that doesn't exist)

I'm also a fan of S2e09 Singularity and S3e10 Similitude, but that's just me.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, this was one of the episodes which I also considered adding to the list. There really isn't even a silver lining "oops we did everything wrong but were accidentally right". Trip just completely fucks up because he doesn't get the idea of what diplomacy is, and keeps pushing the Earth social norms on the aliens.

And Archer fucks up because he wants to play with the aliens shiny toys so bad he can't bring himself to admit their society might be kinda bad. Cogenitor's actually a pretty meaty episode in that nobody's 100% in the right.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Feldegast42 posted:

I've said it before but Voyager is comfort food Trek, its just not as good as TNG or DS9

Yeah, I'd finally gotten around to watching it and there's only a handful of episodes that are outright bad, but conversely only a few that are unarguably good, too

The show plays it exceedingly safe for the whole run, and while it squanders a lot of opportunity and declines to make any real big swings, it's rarely incompetent or incoherent, either

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

There's other stuff worth hitting in ENT's first season. Shuttlepod One comes to mind, the two Andorian episodes, the loose trilogy of "we're trying to get to Risa but keep getting distracted by sidequest bullshit" episodes, which I think also calls back to the prison break episode. In Season 2, if you're going to watch Dead Stop then you may as well do Minefield first even if it's not as good. Judgment is solid, that year's Andorian stuff was solid, otherwise it was a dull season and they were forced into a course correction for a reason.

But even early ENT probably did a better job than Voyager of remembering its own history and that can be kinda fun when a lot of it is the consequences of Archer's decisions inevitably coming back to haunt him later. I haven't rewatched ENT in about a decade but at least in my head that bumbling frontiersman aspect of the series probably holds up a lot better now than I ever expected while it was actually airing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That "trilogy" of getting to Risa is so funny to me, it's like babby's first continuity. It's pretty quaint by our modern standards but I think it would have been seen as a lot more innovative at the time.

I'm maybe a bit of an Enterprise apologist, or at least I find myself drawn to it far more often than Voyager. I'm also currently rewatching Ent. I think it did a much better job of trying to engage with its premise than Voyager ever did, even if it doesn't always stick the landing. There's a pretty big theme throughout that the humans are a bit naive about the galaxy, and keep tripping over themselves when they try and apply human cultural morality to aliens, or just end up being far too trusting. But you can see how their experiences could eventually develop what we'd think of as "Federation" values.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Granted I've never given ENT a fair shake but man does it have the worst opening theme known to man

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Granted I've never given ENT a fair shake but man does it have the worst opening theme known to man

It was made even worse since the Voyager opening is probably the best in all of Star Trek.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Archers Theme (the closing credits song for Ent) is also very good, and it would have been totally fine to just play that with no other changes to the opening. I think there's a version of that on YouTube, and it's totally great.

Edit: seriously this is a good opening sequence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsn2xVmVuGE

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 25, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It was made even worse since the Voyager opening is probably the best in all of Star Trek.

Something near I never noticed until it was pointed out to me was that the ship always goes from the left side of the screen to the right.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Something near I never noticed until it was pointed out to me was that the ship always goes from the left side of the screen to the right.

It should! That's just how you show the same thing moving through different places.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Sorry, it's a strong runner-up, but I've got to give it to Firefly. Enterprise's at least has a camp factor to it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Fighting Trousers posted:

And Archer fucks up because he wants to play with the aliens shiny toys so bad he can't bring himself to admit their society might be kinda bad. Cogenitor's actually a pretty meaty episode in that nobody's 100% in the right.

Eh, I'd say "Let's give asylum to this person who's facing slavery and forced breeding" is a hell of a lot closer to being in the right than... whatever the hell Archer thinks he's doing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Forget about interpreting the story as supporting conversion therapy

:bigwhat:

No Dignity posted:

It's also just an incredibly bleak episode that ends with a person being brainwashed and the status quo being upheld, very un-Star Trek

That's an actually fair criticism, but my response is that if everything works out perfectly all the time then there's no stakes. Sometimes the heroes have to take an L, even in TOS -- "The City On The Edge Of Forever"? Tragedy is just as valid as triumph, and often more effective in cautionary metaphors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I’ve heard it said that it is possible to make no mistakes and still lose. And that that is not a weakness, that is life.

Also, the ENT theme has givens me so much joy in its absurdity I can’t pretend like I hate it anymore.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

zoux posted:

Also, the ENT theme has givens me so much joy in its absurdity I can’t pretend like I hate it anymore.

The fun of incorporating lyrics into any Star Trek discussion has been worth it yeah. It was a long road getting to that point though.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've never trusted the ENT theme, and I never will
I can never forgive it
for the death of my show

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I've never trusted the ENT theme, and I never will
I can never forgive it
for the death of my show

[angry klingon noises]

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm still in a blind rage over Enterprise season 3 so even though there are a couple good standalone episodes mixed in, the whole thing is soured because of its association with 9/11 and America's wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

With that in mind, there's probably at least a college course worth of material to analyze in that context so it would be good "book club" fodder if that's something you viewing group does after an episode.

Dr. Phlox is ruined as a character by the end of it though.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
He was already ruined by episode 13...

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

And yet one of the highlights of the show.

They seemed to lean on him a lot throughout the show. I dunno if it's just tradition that the ship's doctor be critical to solving the problem of the week or if his alien physiology just let the writers be lazy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Halloween Jack posted:

Forget about interpreting the story as supporting conversion therapy

I didn't realize it was possible to have negative media literacy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I like certain aspects of Enterprise Season 3, the main thing being that there are actual consequences in episodes where if the ship gets damaged (and it does), they can't just fix it easily. It's kind of like what the Voyager writers had planned for a season-long 'Year of Hell'.

I do think a lot of the plots in Season 3 get dragged out too long, but that is mainly on the number of episodes per season they used to do back then.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
As I was posting about my Enterprise watch, I kept hearing how there would be consequences, but I think we're speaking different media languages here. For Voyager, a crew stranded far from home and limping back to Earth, the ship being damaged and supplies being low and key crew members dying are appropriate and meaningful consequences. Voyager should have been the story of a struggle for survival against the odds, watching as the values of Starfleet were bent and compromised when doing the right thing would kill the crew.

Enterprise in season 3 is telling a very different story. I was waiting for Phlox to be put before a medical board. I was waiting for Archer to be charged with war crimes. I was waiting for insurgents to resist the violence of the MACOs and the incursion of Starfleet. These are the material consequences that make sense in a 9/11 allegory, but it was unfortunately written by people who seemingly think the Iraq War was A Good Thing. Instead, it we get hoorah USA USA USA the whole way down. Tough men in hard times making the difficult decisions to save democracy. It made me nauseous as I was watching it, one more victim tortured by Phlox, one more crime against a sentient species committed by Archer, all in the name of Being the Good Guys.

That poo poo can get the gently caress out of my Star Trek please.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to have negative media literacy.

It’s not negative media literacy. The episode isn’t condoning it, is my understanding. The problem is that it works, which is completely offensive. As a survivor of conversion therapy (government mandated in my case), the idea that conversion therapy works kills thousands of queer people a year. I’m not willing to include that in Star Trek, especially in an episode that’s supposed to be making the case for including and respecting queer people.

I don’t think the episode’s writer (Jeri Taylor?) did it intentionally, but they played with a controversial topic and it’s absolutely held up horribly over time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
When I saw that episode it made me think conversion therapy was terrible because the character we came to know was, effectively, killed.

I had never considered the bigger problem with presenting conversion therapy as effective at achieving its desired results, so I am grateful that you shared your perspective.

Either way, I dislike that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Arivia posted:

It’s not negative media literacy. The episode isn’t condoning it, is my understanding. The problem is that it works, which is completely offensive. As a survivor of conversion therapy (government mandated in my case), the idea that conversion therapy works kills thousands of queer people a year. I’m not willing to include that in Star Trek, especially in an episode that’s supposed to be making the case for including and respecting queer people.

I don’t think the episode’s writer (Jeri Taylor?) did it intentionally, but they played with a controversial topic and it’s absolutely held up horribly over time.

That's kind of the point. Showing that conversion therapy "works" removes the argument "we shouldn't do conversion therapy because it doesn't even work" and puts the question of "should we do conversion therapy?" onto exclusively ethical grounds.

Thats what sci-fi does. It reframes things by getting rid of our limitations and explores topics not in a context of what we can do, but what we should do. Heck, it's been a theme in fiction going back at least as far as Plato's ring of Gyges.

Picard doesn't want to pretend to be a deity because he's afraid they'll be found out, he doesn't do it because it will mess up another culture. Data doesn't recall the ExoComps because he doesn't think they're up to the task, he does it because he thinks they're sentient. Conversion therapy isn't bad just because it fails to fix people, it's bad because there's nothing to "fix" in the first place.

I'm not saying it hasn't aged poorly, or made mistakes, or it's wrong to find it offensive. I'm just saying that showing conversion therapy not working would have undercut the points they made throughout the episode.