Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of like Eddison in Deep Space 9, the mid-series Security Chief for the Federation (alongside Odo as chief of Bajoran security), because he's just there as some guy. No major subplots so far or drama, he just does his job and goes home. It's an amusing contrast to everyone else having some kind of major personal stakes in every situation.

lol

E: this snipe brought to you by my avatar, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'm finding fun with DS9 is the recurring arc of other races dealing with the Federation, as all the more cynical ones like the Cardassians and Ferenghi both assume another shoe will drop and that the Federation are going to be two-faced, like Quark assuming that Rom will be mistreated in his role as engineer and that they'll just push the poo poo jobs onto him, only to be proven wrong as Rom's talents are noticed and appreciated - they are so personally annoyed that the Federation promises the world, and then SO frustrated when they go and deliver it.

Also the conversation between Worf and O'Brian where it's like "This space station is poo poo" "I know, isn't it great!?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

8one6 posted:

New thread for old Trek: food argument

Everyone in Trek complains about the food from the replicator except for the unfrozen people from the 20th century who all said it was amazing.

Clearly most of the people from the 24th century are spoiled.

Also Eddington was full of poo poo. "Have you ever had real food?" gently caress off with that poo poo. It's there 24th century equivalent of being into "raw water" or unpasteurized milk.

Also Eddington having the absolute white-guy energy to say that to Ben "peeled potatoes for my dad's restaurant as a kid" Sisko

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also can we get a link to the previous thread edited into the OP because sometimes it's nice to go back and look up a post or something

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also can we get a link to the previous thread edited into the OP because sometimes it's nice to go back and look up a post or something

I will add it in now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
bless

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
this is my one post for this thread about nearly dying in the icu and being very strongly convinced on ketamine that the theme song to enterprise contained the secrets to everything and texting my mother a lot telling her to listen to it

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

that may be the most convincing argument against drugs I’ve ever seen

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think overall my favourite moments in TV shows are when characters go delirious with laughter in an otherwise stressful situation, like when Quark and the merchant are defusing the torpedo and they just start talking about the Irony.

quote:

Quark: I thought you people never sold substandard merchandise?
*Merchant looks confused*
Quark: That torpedo was supposed to explode on impact, correct? Yet we're still alive.
Merchant: Maybe I should offer him a refund (this cracks them up, and the next exchange is through caught breaths in the midst of peals of laughter).
Merchant: The funniest part is, one of these rods with disarm the torpedo, and I have no idea which one!
Quark: And if we get it wrong, WE BOTH DIE! AHAHAHA!

I also loved the bit where Dukat and Kira are in the cave together and Dukat sits on a spike, and Kira starts giggling at him trying to heal his butt, and he starts seeing the funny side especially upon realising that he's forgotten to turn the device on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

"planty of latters lift in teh albavet" - nine-gear crow

(kidding, the op is pretty good)

This better lead to a call/response post when this thread goes off the rails of:

"Crow, blow up the goddamn thread!"

or I'm going to be very mad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

holefoods posted:

i'll tell you what i wouldn't have had that idea if i had been cortically stimulated!!!

@BioEnchanted: I don't want to spoil it in case you or others haven't seen it, but Babylon 5 has the best "trapped in a crisis situation and laughing moment" with G'Kar in the elevator.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also like the Prophets because whatever they are trying to do it seems that they aren't TRYING to cause problems, they just have trouble with the concept of linear time, and so make mistakes. When asked questions directly, they are surprisingly forthcoming, you just need to know how to connect with them. They're mysterious but not in the way of being total assholes, the mystery is just a lack of communication. At least so far, I am only halfway done with the series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

holefoods posted:

That's the thing about being on ketamine in the ICU: you don't really get the choice in the matter. I was convinced that I was jumping into a different reality every time I went to sleep and woke up like I was on Sliders or something and that someone had stolen one of my Let's Play as was updating it without my permission while I was incapacitated when it happened to me.

Hospital drugs are a loving mind-rending trip, I'll tell you what

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The Prophets were seriously warned by Q about giving timeline spoilers but they still have trouble with the concept

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

That's the thing about being on ketamine in the ICU: you don't really get the choice in the matter. I was convinced that I was jumping into a different reality every time I went to sleep and woke up like I was on Sliders or something and that someone had stolen one of my Let's Play as was updating it without my permission while I was incapacitated when it happened to me.

I was sure Optimus Primal was standing in the corner of the ICU room, nodding at me reassuringly

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved their frustration in the pilot where they cannot understand that Sisko didn't understand what they meant by "But why do you exist HERE?!". Then that moment of Sisko admitting that for him at that point, his perception of time was not linear at all. It was a cool way of exploring grief and hyper-fixating on the thing that caused it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

luckily i was mostly okay, i just needed to be kept calm while i was on the vent. i just sent some weird messages and stuff like the enterprise theme song thing, i knew where i was and what was going on.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

BioEnchanted posted:

I also like the Prophets because whatever they are trying to do it seems that they aren't TRYING to cause problems, they just have trouble with the concept of linear time, and so make mistakes. When asked questions directly, they are surprisingly forthcoming, you just need to know how to connect with them. They're mysterious but not in the way of being total assholes, the mystery is just a lack of communication. At least so far, I am only halfway done with the series.

*dukat-ishly* the prophets were completely full of poo poo

they understand linear time just fine, how else do you explain (end of series spoiler) sisko's whole arc? they basically possess his mom in order for him to be born, indicating a thorough understanding of how that would affect the future

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Arivia posted:

luckily i was mostly okay, i just needed to be kept calm while i was on the vent. i just sent some weird messages and stuff like the enterprise theme song thing, i knew where i was and what was going on.

sounds like a long road, getting from there to here

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I was sure Optimus Primal was standing in the corner of the ICU room, nodding at me reassuringly

Well that's just prime

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

they understand linear time just fine, how else do you explain (end of series spoiler) sisko's whole arc? they basically possess his mom in order for him to be born, indicating a thorough understanding of how that would affect the future

AH! But did they understand linear time at that point, or did that happen after Sisko taught them about linear time? All time exists at once for them after all, so maybe they altered that event in the past after Sisko spoke to them in the present.

I accidentally saw the spoiler making this post, but it was worth it. :v:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arivia posted:

@BioEnchanted: I don't want to spoil it in case you or others haven't seen it, but Babylon 5 has the best "trapped in a crisis situation and laughing moment" with G'Kar in the elevator.

Also a DS9 spoiler but there's another memorable moment like this significantly later in the series. Very last episode actually, when Kira's party is really close to breaking into the Dominion HQ but Garak's explosives aren't strong enough to blow up the door.

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved their frustration in the pilot where they cannot understand that Sisko didn't understand what they meant by "But why do you exist HERE?!". Then that moment of Sisko admitting that for him at that point, his perception of time was not linear at all. It was a cool way of exploring grief and hyper-fixating on the thing that caused it.

It's not a perfect episode, drags a little at times, but it's definitely aged well. I feel like that moment in particular would have people all over Twitter posting threads about how it's such a great portrayal of grief.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

AH! But did they understand linear time at that point, or did that happen after Sisko taught them about linear time? All time exists at once for them after all, so maybe they altered that event in the past after Sisko spoke to them in the present.

I accidentally saw the spoiler making this post, but it was worth it. :v:

i don't see how that would work. this is giving a pretty significant chunk of plot away so i'll be careful: joe sisko has memories of her being basically (to borrow an episode title) his perfect mate (because the prophets needed sarah sisko and joe sisko to conceive ben sisko, who because of this is also part-prophet, apparently). she eventually snaps out of being possessed by a prophet and leaves him, and then later dies. he's got an old photo of her, which is how (ben) sisko identifies her in the first place. he doesn't remember her at all — he was raised by his stepmom, something his dad didn't ever tell him about until the episode in question (season 7's "image in the sand", if you're curious).

but basically if it were something the prophets had modified after meeting sisko then they'd probably be like "uh, who the hell was that?"

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 28, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it's obvious, but my post there was a joke, making fun of how confusing things get. Or to quote both Miles' O'Brians: I hate temporal mechanics.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I think it's obvious, but my post there was a joke, making fun of how confusing things get. Or to quote both Miles' O'Brians: I hate temporal mechanics.

lol, some people truly don't get it anyway. it is pretty confusing!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When I'm Trekked up, that's the real me
When I'm Trekked up, that's the real me, babe

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Before my pancreatic surgery two years ago, I had three separate stays in the hospital during which they put me on a 72-hour ketamine drip to deal with the pain.

I sent some *weird* messages to the woman I was dating at the time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

the pah wraiths were imprisoned purely because they were a different color than the other wormhole aliens, the interest in bajor is primarily in order to keep people from freeing their political prisoners

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Well that's just prime

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Tunicate posted:

the pah wraiths were imprisoned purely because they were a different color than the other wormhole aliens, the interest in bajor is primarily in order to keep people from freeing their political prisoners

the prophets are the true wormhole fascists

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I'm still mad they recast Primal for the new movie. If you're gonna drag 80 year old Peter Cullen to a booth for these movies every drat time, get Gary Chalk in for Primal.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

dr_rat posted:

It should be noted that the Animated series is the only series to be officially considered cannon.

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

Consuming poison in a breakfast is... not logical.

Great OP nine-gear crow!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dr_rat posted:

It should be noted that the Animated series is the only series to be officially considered cannon.

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

lmao jesus christ

quote:

At the time of its introduction in the early 1950s, Sugar Smacks had the highest sugar content in the US cereal market (55% per weight), surpassing Sugar Crisp (later renamed "Golden Crisp") by competitor Post Cereal which had debuted with what The Oxford Companion to Sugar and Sweets would later call "an astonishing sugar content of 51 percent".

highly illogical

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So I'm thinking about the aphasia episode and there's that whole subplot with the space freighter alien and his cargo.

I can't tell if it's hilarious or dark or both. Dude really needed to go before his goods spoiled, but O'Brien was too busy to fix his ship, then everyone got put into quarantine, then the dude tried to leave on his own but the docking clamps were in place, then his whole ship detonated.

The guy was absolutely ruined because O'Brien was overworked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I also loved the bit where Dukat and Kira are in the cave together and Dukat sits on a spike, and Kira starts giggling at him trying to heal his butt, and he starts seeing the funny side especially upon realising that he's forgotten to turn the device on.

Nana Visitor hated episodes that paired Kira and Dukat because it was like a Mossad major having to go on a road trip with Adolf Eichmann. She didn't think Kira could ever warm to Dukat.

And I agree. Kira was never dumb enough or relaxed enough for Dukat's superficial charm to work on her like it worked on other characters.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I'm still mad they recast Primal for the new movie. If you're gonna drag 80 year old Peter Cullen to a booth for these movies every drat time, get Gary Chalk in for Primal.

I love Ron Perlman but the circumstances that made Beast Wars unique were rare even in the 90's and I don't expect any movie adaptation to measure up

Chalk got to be in Stargate a little bit at least

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao jesus christ

highly illogical

That's 55% space energy by weight. I think we've untapped the ZPM of cereals, here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I love Ron Perlman but the circumstances that made Beast Wars unique were rare even in the 90's and I don't expect any movie adaptation to measure up

Chalk got to be in Stargate a little bit at least

It sucked rear end that they not only killed off his character on Stargate but they did it in a very sloppy "wait, did he actually die?" way and then he just never shows up again after that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

So I'm thinking about the aphasia episode and there's that whole subplot with the space freighter alien and his cargo.

I can't tell if it's hilarious or dark or both. Dude really needed to go before his goods spoiled, but O'Brien was too busy to fix his ship, then everyone got put into quarantine, then the dude tried to leave on his own but the docking clamps were in place, then his whole ship detonated.

The guy was absolutely ruined because O'Brien was overworked.

and he got the aphasia virus anyway, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

It sucked rear end that they not only killed off his character on Stargate but they did it in a very sloppy "wait, did he actually die?" way and then he just never shows up again after that.

Didn't he die when the Russian ship got blown up? I remember seeing him at a con when I was in high school he said that he learned all of his lines in Russian and then like a day before shooting they switched all of his dialogue to English

Actually now that I think about it I think he was in Star Trek as well as a Pakled