Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Accipiter posted:

I don't know what kind of prank SkyNews is pulling but that's not what was played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zVhvfjuGB0&t=550s

I spent more time than I want to admit first thinking that this actually happened, and then finding evidence that it didn't.

Good journalism from SkyNews for altering their archive footage and putting it to Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Der Kyhe posted:

If you want to go crazy with the on-screen canon lineages then Knight Rider is a Star Trek prequel show.

My version of the Tommy Westphal universe is the Benney Russel universe.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

I spent more time than I want to admit first thinking that this actually happened, and then finding evidence that it didn't.

Good journalism from SkyNews for altering their archive footage and putting it to Youtube.

I don't think this is fake; rather, two different parts of the ceremony.
If you watch the segment from trek central, and then you watch the youtube link, you'll notice that the instruments playing each song sound like the same group of instruments. Additionally, in the video with the first contact music, they never actually raise the flag. The youtube video doesn't have any of the first contact music in it, but they do play the actual swedish national anthem as the flag is raising. My surmise is that the band played the first contact music while the dignitaries were filling into their seats, before the actual speeches and flag raising, which is why there is video of the flag but it's not raised yet. It's not uncommon at these kinds of events for the military band to play some other music as the event is starting.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Der Kyhe posted:

I looked into it further and it looks like the link to the actual footage I found is after everyone assembled. The clip from SkyNews starts as people are still getting there.

So in reality it may actually have been played before the clip I posted starts. But it's such an odd and random choice of music.🤷🏻

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Starfleet is a direct descendent of the United Earth Space Probe Agency which can trace its lineage directly to NASA so yes.

:hmmyes:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bennyfactor posted:

I don't think this is fake; rather, two different parts of the ceremony.
If you watch the segment from trek central, and then you watch the youtube link, you'll notice that the instruments playing each song sound like the same group of instruments. Additionally, in the video with the first contact music, they never actually raise the flag. The youtube video doesn't have any of the first contact music in it, but they do play the actual swedish national anthem as the flag is raising. My surmise is that the band played the first contact music while the dignitaries were filling into their seats, before the actual speeches and flag raising, which is why there is video of the flag but it's not raised yet. It's not uncommon at these kinds of events for the military band to play some other music as the event is starting.

Yes. The one thing that I also noticed was that they don't actually start raising the flag at any point in the SkyNews version, and some random french news footage showed the flag raising while the national anthem is playing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The crowd in the tent in the First Contact clip is visibly different from the crowd when there's the actual flag raising and (I assume) they're playing the Swedish anthem.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It was originally staffed by nazis?

Archer tortured some folks.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

may i suggest that this is the theme they were looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

You didn't understand my comment, I see.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It was originally staffed by nazis?

I wonder if this avatar has some strong preexisting opinions about NATO.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

If you want to go crazy with the on-screen canon lineages then Knight Rider is a Star Trek prequel show.

Did they ever get Detective Munch into a Trek

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Did they ever get Detective Munch into a Trek

No but he shows up in the X-Files

if Starfleet were Space Future NATO they'd run out of torpedoes because they privatized everything and also be full of space nazis

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Pinterest Mom posted:

The crowd in the tent in the First Contact clip is visibly different from the crowd when there's the actual flag raising and (I assume) they're playing the Swedish anthem.

Looks like the same crowd, just shuffled around a bit.

e: okay just realize one of the coat lenghts don't match but shhh :v:

In unrelated news, dug through my imgur account and came accross this which I found amusing (90% sure it was someone's avatar, just no idea whose):

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
DS9 presents The Siege of AR-558, aka PTSD: The Episode.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

DS9 presents The Siege of AR-558, aka PTSD: The First of Several Episodes.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's a nice spin off of The Miles O'Brien Trauma Hour

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's blown my mind that Jeremy - the guy in the episode "The Bonding" where his mum dies on an away mission, coincidentally the first episode written by Ronald D Moore - is the voice of Littlefoot in Land Before Time

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Emperor Sato. Love it. No notes.

I just don't know what the point of those episodes was. I'm not complaining; they're just a weird random thing that happened in the middle of the final season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

'gently caress it, let's have fun'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Emperor Sato. Love it. No notes.

I just don't know what the point of those episodes was. I'm not complaining; they're just a weird random thing that happened in the middle of the final season.

That's what makes the Emperor Georgiou reveal in Discovery work so well. She's a descendant of Hoshi, so one version goes into Starfleet in one universe and the other becomes Emperor in another.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Yep. And that's why they're great. Not trying to do anything special with the MU just a fun two parter and letting the cast chew the scenery.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'Just a two parter where they do some cool poo poo with the cast which doesn't really tie into anything else' is basically every good star trek two parter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The MU Enterprise two-parter is also a lot of fun because it ties into TOS, and you also get some underused TOS aliens like the Tholians and Gorn

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

No Dignity posted:

That's on the Voyager writers for making them boring.

Literally every script Harry gets in the back half of the show is 'I'm a gay worthless loser but I'm going to do one interesting thing before going back to yelling "impulse engines are offline!" for the rest of the season'

There was that episode where Harry Kim has a forbidden romance with an alien and transmits or gets an STD, then he goes on a Frank Grimes-style rant about how such behavior wasn't expected from "good Harry Kim", and the whole episode felt kind of meta about Harry Kim. "The Disease" (S05E17)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

The same reason as when they went back in time to trifle with tribbles alongside Those Old Scientists, or for that matter when Boimler boimbled his way into the past, I reckon

MikeJF posted:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Kesper North posted:

The same reason as when they went back in time to trifle with tribbles alongside Those Old Scientists, or for that matter when Boimler boimbled his way into the past, I reckon

The major difference is that those episodes explicitly brought cast over from one show into another and the conflict was centered on getting home. Even the other MU episodes are like this. They justified their existence in a way that those two-parter didn't.

This episode though brought a TOS era ship over, but it's completely disconnected from the proper timeline otherwise. It's for all intents and purposes a standalone MU episode. It almost feels like one of those News Radio episodes where the station was like the Titanic or something, just a fun alternate universe romp. Or I guess it's kind of like the clone episode of Voyager in that nothing that happened "mattered" to the plot of Voyager.

Again, I enjoyed these episodes a great deal, but they do stand out as fairly unique.

Also, I'm through the Terra Prime episodes of Enterprise, so I only have one to go (odd that it's not a two parter, all things considered). I'm not really sure why the series didn't stop after Terra Prime as that seems like the perfect place to wrap it up, but I'm sure they've got something special in store for the actual finale.

I know These are the Voyages is supposed to be trash.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

That's what makes the Emperor Georgiou reveal in Discovery work so well. She's a descendant of Hoshi, so one version goes into Starfleet in one universe and the other becomes Emperor in another.

We sure have different definitions of "working well".

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm sure you think you know.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
These Are The Voyages... needs to be experienced at least once in the lifetime of every Trek fan. Until Picard Season 2 came along to supplant it, it was the single worst and most spiteful piece of Trek TV ever made. It was amazing.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
But at least it seamlessly slots in to the TNG episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boxturret posted:

If you're able to cope with Riker gaining and losing 50 pounds between Ready Room visits, I guess :v:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Spiteful's a good word for it, particularly coming at the end of a season that actually felt like it genuinely had its poo poo together for the first time. There's a reason Scott Bakula called up Rick Berman to call him nasty names after reading the script for the first time, and why Frakes has basically apologized for having done it.

Boxturret posted:

:shepface:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, I'm through the Terra Prime episodes of Enterprise, so I only have one to go (odd that it's not a two parter, all things considered). I'm not really sure why the series didn't stop after Terra Prime as that seems like the perfect place to wrap it up, but I'm sure they've got something special in store for the actual finale.

Manny Coto quite literally wrote Terra Prime as "his" Enterprise finale, so if it feels like a natural ending point, that's because it was intended to be.

And then Rick Berman and Brannon Braga decided they had to put their stamp on the end of the '90s era of Trek.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

nine-gear crow posted:

...no she's not. Hoshi's Japanese, Georgiou's Malaysian-Chinese. They're not related.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Boy I cannot wait to go home and watch this tonight. Then it's time for Discovery.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

Spiteful's a good word for it, particularly coming at the end of a season that actually felt like it genuinely had its poo poo together for the first time. There's a reason Scott Bakula called up Rick Berman to call him nasty names after reading the script for the first time, and why Frakes has basically apologized for having done it.

:shepface:

Man, mad props to Bakula for telling Berman to go shove a shoe up his rear end or whatever after getting that script. He really didn't deserve even a tenth of the poo poo Enterprise constantly dumped on him.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

If you're able to cope with Riker gaining and losing 50 pounds between Ready Room visits, I guess :v:

Temporal rift.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fair. There's Space poo poo that makes you old, makes you young, makes you evil, gives you telekenesis and lighting powers, and so forth, why can't there also be Space poo poo that makes you fat for a couple of hours.

Point withdrawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, mad props to Bakula for telling Berman to go shove a shoe up his rear end or whatever after getting that script. He really didn't deserve even a tenth of the poo poo Enterprise constantly dumped on him.

Having previously done a big network show from the top of the call sheet before, Bakula was apparently very protective of his castmates, and he was royally pissed at them having basically had their series finale stolen from them. Archer was a frequently iffy character, but Bakula's a stand-up guy.