Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Tighclops posted:

I love Ron Perlman but the circumstances that made Beast Wars unique were rare even in the 90's and I don't expect any movie adaptation to measure up

Chalk got to be in Stargate a little bit at least

I caught a bit of a Teen Titans Go episode that had David Kaye playing a big evil red dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

When I'm Trekked up, that's the real me
When I'm Trekked up, that's the real me, babe

You only love me when I am
7 of 9

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Didn't he die when the Russian ship got blown up? I remember seeing him at a con when I was in high school he said that he learned all of his lines in Russian and then like a day before shooting they switched all of his dialogue to English

Actually now that I think about it I think he was in Star Trek as well as a Pakled

Yeah, they blew up the Korolev, the Russian BC-303 they got as part of the Stargate program and he's last seen on the bridge like immediately before it blows. And it's like "Oh, did Colonel Chekov beam out in time?" and everyone was like "I dunno :shrug:" and that's the last he's ever seen or heard from.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, they blew up the Korolev, the Russian BC-303 they got as part of the Stargate program and he's last seen on the bridge like immediately before it blows. And it's like "Oh, did Colonel Chekov beam out in time?" and everyone was like "I dunno :shrug:" and that's the last he's ever seen or heard from.

That sucks, I liked seeing him on Stargate and I always felt like they did the Russians dirty

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arglebargle III posted:

Nana Visitor hated episodes that paired Kira and Dukat because it was like a Mossad major having to go on a road trip with Adolf Eichmann. She didn't think Kira could ever warm to Dukat.

And I agree. Kira was never dumb enough or relaxed enough for Dukat's superficial charm to work on her like it worked on other characters.

I think it was a perfect example of writer/showrunner ideas and actor pushback working together to create the happy medium. Their character dynamic was ultimately really great because of that tension, and the show didn't really need to spell it out. Her exasperation was palpable every second she had to be onscreen with him.

It's a contrast to modern stuff where it seems like nobody really cares, so if one person wants to do something they just let them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Beeftweeter posted:

and he got the aphasia virus anyway, lol

If this were a modern show, he'd become a reoccurring character every season where dumb poo poo happened to him over and over again and he'd get increasingly paranoid and irate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My space cabbages!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"I'll get you next time O'Brien!" he says as he's transported onto a Klingon cattle freighter that is on a 6 month long haul trip.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I heard that apparently Keiko isn't that well liked, which is weird to me because I always thought she was fine. She's very supportive (although without being a total doormat, she pushes back when Miles is being childish), and has fairly reasonable problems when they crop up. At least one of the Steve Shives video titles implies that fans don't like her.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I heard that apparently Keiko isn't that well liked, which is weird to me because I always thought she was fine. She's very supportive (although without being a total doormat, she pushes back when Miles is being childish), and has fairly reasonable problems when they crop up. At least one of the Steve Shives video titles implies that fans don't like her.

there's a lot of really lovely misogynistic takes out there about her

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
In All Good Things, in the past, the captain's chair doesn't have those flip out screens. 0/10

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

"I'll get you next time O'Brien!" he says as he's transported onto a Klingon cattle freighter that is on a 6 month long haul trip.

it turns out every time o'brien had a bad day, that guy was secretly puppet mastering from the shadows. like the g-man from half-life

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The problem with Keiko is the writers want to have stories where there's conflict in O'Brien's life, which is fine, but family conflict inherently means pitting Miles and Keiko against each other and since Miles is our dude, main cast, every episode, who the audience is always with, that ends up placing Keiko in an antagonistic role. So it ends up being unfortunate for her character, even though it's not like she's a bad person or anything. We get fewer opportunities to be on Keiko's side, like the school episode where she's up against Vedek Winn.

And there are the lovely misogynists but that's another thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think what makes Keiko work for me is that first of all I don't tend to form those types of biases and can recognise when a protagonist is being a complete twat like in the episode where she calls him out on being a big sulky baby, but also she has episodes like when she gets back from Bajor and has a bunch of botany paperwork to go over, and she recognises that he coped with her not being around by playing videogames with Julian, and since he's been there plenty for Molly and also for her since she got back, she's like "Oh, it's fine. Don't feel obligated to hang out with us when we have nothing we want to do right now, go play videogames with Bashir." She's a pretty cool spouse all things considered.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, she seems pretty chill but we do often just see her when shes having an argument. Outside her relationship with O'brien, there's very few times we see her. I think they might of meant to show her teaching a bit more, but as that's just a hard thing to naturally put in to any particular episode I think they only showed it like twice?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

"Keiko's a bitch" has been a part of Trek threads here and on the Internet in general since time eternal, and it's exhausting and misogynistic and I would die a happy man if it never arose again.

God forbid a woman actually express her emotions, needs and wishes to her husband. DS9 is not especially great in that regard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

"Keiko's a bitch" has been a part of Trek threads here and on the Internet in general since time eternal, and it's exhausting and misogynistic and I would die a happy man if it never arose again.

God forbid a woman actually express her emotions, needs and wishes to her husband. DS9 is not especially great in that regard.

if steven crowder wrote ds9 their relationship would be perfect and she'd never complain

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also in her first month on the station her school got blown up by followers of Vedek Winn. I'm not surprised she's not feeling particularly welcome at that point.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

keiko's great, her and kai winn should've gotten in a fistfight on the promenade

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, she seems pretty chill but we do often just see her when shes having an argument. Outside her relationship with O'brien, there's very few times we see her. I think they might of meant to show her teaching a bit more, but as that's just a hard thing to naturally put in to any particular episode I think they only showed it like twice?

The same reason Worf is always getting beat up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's kind of funny how well The Orville used school and teachers compared to how Star Trek handles it. Like you have Captain Picard Day and then you have a teacher radicalized to begin a genocide against humanity because of what happened to her students.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

It's the same line of thinking that permeated the BSG threads here on SA where goons thought that Ellen Tight was written the way she was because they thought Ron Moore hated his wife purely because she came across as "shrill" whenever she guested on his podcast commentaries with him despite the fact that they had an otherwise normal, healthy relationship and she seemed like an otherwise okay person.

Then again, I wouldn't expect an internet misogynist to have a non-skewed view of reality to be able to perceive of that to begin with.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grand Fromage posted:

The problem with Keiko is the writers want to have stories where there's conflict in O'Brien's life, which is fine, but family conflict inherently means pitting Miles and Keiko against each other and since Miles is our dude, main cast, every episode, who the audience is always with, that ends up placing Keiko in an antagonistic role. So it ends up being unfortunate for her character, even though it's not like she's a bad person or anything. We get fewer opportunities to be on Keiko's side, like the school episode where she's up against Vedek Winn.

And there are the lovely misogynists but that's another thing.

There are two legitimate examples: O'Brien is willing to try her traditional Japanese food, but when he tries to serve her traditional Irish food, she just refuses. Also, she got mad at O'Brien for not wanting to be intimate with her in Rascals even though there is obvious reasons he refused.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There are two legitimate examples: O'Brien is willing to try her traditional Japanese food, but when he tries to serve her traditional Irish food, she just refuses. Also, she got mad at O'Brien for not wanting to be intimate with her in Rascals even though there is obvious reasons he refused.

At least with the second example you could argue that the reality of the situation hadn't set in for her yet and her newly childized brain wasn't doing her any favors in that regard and if the situation were reversed she'd probably have the exact same reaction that Miles did herself. But otherwise yeah it's just "...oof." all around.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
But as a counterpoint, she was also all, "Yes, go gently caress Nerys and tell me how it is."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Having only seen about 6 episodes myself so far, her first complaint was that she's just not happy on DS9 and feels like O'Brien is putting his career first. My guess is that a lot of Star Trek nerds in the 90s hadn't really had to deal with that problem, but it hit very hard for me given that I'm an expat and it's the kind of conversation I've had to have with my wife and previous romantic partners over the last decade and a half.

She came across as entirely reasonable and even found a solution to the problem, which O'Brien was supportive of.

It seems like an entirely normal relationship to me so far.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Having only seen about 6 episodes myself so far, her first complaint was that she's just not happy on DS9 and feels like O'Brien is putting his career first. My guess is that a lot of Star Trek nerds in the 90s hadn't really had to deal with that problem, but it hit very hard for me given that I'm an expat and it's the kind of conversation I've had to have with my wife and previous romantic partners over the last decade and a half.

She came across as entirely reasonable and even found a solution to the problem, which O'Brien was supportive of.

It seems like an entirely normal relationship to me so far.

THat's the problem, she's written realistically but a lot of nerds want an idealised relationship.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I haven't seen the episode yet, but Keiko refusing to eat Irish food doesn't really bother me at all. I'm also weird about being forced to eat food myself, and while I respect when other people are flexible, it's just not something I'm very good at.

Again, pulling from my own experiences, my wife is Taiwanese and while there are Taiwanese dishes that I like, there are some I will outright refuse to eat.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, she got mad at O'Brien for not wanting to be intimate with her in Rascals even though there is obvious reasons he refused.

This gets brought up a lot, but I think it's people misremembering what little Keiko says in that scene (probably because it gets brought up a lot). Keiko wants O'Brien to hold her, and that's what weirds him out:

quote:

[O'Brien quarters]
(Keiko wants the mister from an upper shelf, and has to stand on a box to get it before she can spray the orchid)
O'BRIEN: I could use a cup of coffee. How about you?
KEIKO JR: I'll get it. Two coffees. One with cream and sugar, the other
O'BRIEN: Black, double sweet
KEIKO JR: I know. One double sweet.
O'BRIEN: Careful, that's hot.
KEIKO JR: Miles.
O'BRIEN: Sorry.
(She snuggles up to him and he gets up and walks away)
KEIKO JR: What's wrong?
O'BRIEN: It's. I don't know, but this feels wrong somehow.
KEIKO JR: Miles Edward O'Brien, I am still your wife.
O'BRIEN: Well technically, yes.
KEIKO JR: Technically?
O'BRIEN: No. I mean, of course you're my wife. But you're also ten years old.
KEIKO JR: Beverly said it's actually closer to twelve.
O'BRIEN: That's not the point.
KEIKO JR: So what is the point? Is our marriage over?
O'BRIEN: I didn't say that. But until they find a way to reverse this, this effect, it's going hard for me to ignore the fact that you're a little girl.
KEIKO JR: What if they can't find a way? What if I'm like this the rest of my life? What does that mean for us, for our family?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

I haven't seen the episode yet, but Keiko refusing to eat Irish food doesn't really bother me at all. I'm also weird about being forced to eat food myself, and while I respect when other people are flexible, it's just not something I'm very good at.

Again, pulling from my own experiences, my wife is Taiwanese and while there are Taiwanese dishes that I like, there are some I will outright refuse to eat.

It’s a TNG episode (“The Wounded,” specifically). O’Brien suggests corned beef and colcannon or something similarly totally Irish and Keiko just completely shuts him down and refuses to try it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ah, I've mostly only seen the highlights of TNG so it didn't ring a bell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I also find amusing is whenever the Nausicaans show up because they are a bit funny. I like the running gag with their favourite game being throwing darts into each others abdomens, it's just so stupid. They're brutal, scary, but also kind of braindead and that makes them at least fun when they are around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want a Nausicaan landscape architect to show up on Lower Decks.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
When they said that there were 1000+ people on board the ent-d, did that include all the dolphins?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Huh, neat. In Shattered Mirror, Dax calls out Sisko's actions in the last mirror universe episode as not OK because he fooled her into thinking he was HER Sisko. A lot of shows especially at the time might have ignored that kind of thing. I also like that the series uses Mirror!Jennifer as an anchor point for the story, and the repercussions of her existence on the family that she never had.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 29, 2023

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's just a shame that the actor who plays Jennifer is so weak - she really can't carry the emotional weight of the episode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't really notice that kind of thing, I find it easy enough to let myself get invested.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For a female character on show still largely written by men, Keiko is pretty darn reasonable. They tried to write a wife character who had traits other than "wife" and while it wasn't perfect, people definitely reacted worse than they should've.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Eesh, The Quickening was a dark one, especially the part where Bashir and Dax inadvertently make the virus worse due to their equipment and he just hears the entire infirmary calling to him to euthanise them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Eesh, The Quickening was a dark one, especially the part where Bashir and Dax inadvertently make the virus worse due to their equipment and he just hears the entire infirmary calling to him to euthanise them.

I think it's very underrated. Dax's put down to Julian for being so arrogant to think there's no cure because HE couldn't find it has stuck with me for a long time.

The show doesn't forget either. If they need to show him busy after hours, he's usually working on that same virus.