Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just seen the episode where (mid-season 4 spoilers) Dukat and Kira trade a cardassian freighter for a Klingon Bird of Prey which was a fun one. I like that it's basically her teaching him how to stop following the blueprint and start building ships made entirely of guns with one engine to let it move.
Star Trek: Trillion Credit Squadron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Soul Dentist posted:

I always forget the Storyteller is a DS9 episode and looking it up it was originally supposed to be a TNG script so that makes a lot of sense to me.

Also, when I think about it, Damar's character arc really might be the most compelling in the entire series. Thug to tragic alcoholic to flawed and desperate leader to straight up revolutionary martyr
Damar also got one of the most hilariously delivered lines in all of Star Trek. "Well hellooooooooooo!" :haw:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ah, 'Dear Doctor'. The episode that permanently damages Phlox by making him culpable for an entirely avoidable genocide because he takes an instant dislike to one race of aliens, and permanently damages Archer by making him too gutless to overrule Phlox because the writers wanted to make a ham-fisted point about the (absence of the) Prime Directive. The cure was right there! Archer could have sent it to the aliens at any time! But no, Mengele thinks that the other group of aliens might evolve into the planet's dominant species at some point if the first group aren't in the way, so they have to die horribly from an easily curable disease to prove him right.

One of those real "what the gently caress, writers?" stories almost every Trek series drops in eventually. (So far LD and PRO have avoided it, but there's still time...)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Beeftweeter posted:

i always figured it was a garrovick kind of situation where the story semi-intensely focuses on one character we never see again just for narrative convenience. i guess that ended up being true but for a different reason
Well, we at least hear from Garrovick again, eventually... :haw:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What a bizarre way of rounding off a thoroughly positive review. Saying effectively "If SNW disappeared from canon, nothing of value would be lost" sounds incredibly negative and dismissive.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
And the shutter-speed fuckery from Private Ryan and Gladiator that was ripped off by second-rate directors for half a decade. "It makes the action look realistic and immediate!" No, it makes the action look like stop-motion.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

Oof, and that was from the second Bourne on - I remember being impressed by some shots from Bourne 1 where the camera stayed very steady during action and we saw him do things clearly that films would normally have obscured to cover up movie cheats. Then in the second they went as far as possible in the other direction.
I think this is a YMMV thing, because I never had any trouble following Greengrass's action sequences in Supremacy and Ultimatum; however much the camera was moving, it was always clear what you were meant to be looking at even as stuff was going on around it. (It helped that his car chases always involved visually distinctive vehicles - as much as I love Ronin, the big chase through Paris involved two large dark saloons where if you can't tell a BMW from a Peugeot in a split-second you might not know which you're looking at.)

The knock-offs, though, settled for just thrashing the camera around wildly and doing 12 cuts for every action. Looking at you, Quantum of Solace.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

davidspackage posted:

The way I remember it, after Scorpion, Janeway's like "well, these Borg enhancements to the ship are good, leave them in!" and then the next episode, B'Ellana goes "actually we have to rip it out" as if she's channelling Rick Berman.
We got like one episode where all the Borg greeblies (which, remember, were proven to be useful) were on the hull, then nope, gotta be able to reuse all those stock shots from the first season! This poo poo costs money!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BioEnchanted posted:

Kind of want to see that Borg Cube. "We are the Party Borg. We will add your cultural and edible uniqueness to our own."
Maybe that's Jurati's collective. She seems like the kind to fully cut loose once she sheds her neuroses and inhibitions.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm sure there were plenty of good looking black actors out there who could have pulled off the long haul Git-R-Dun trucker ideal. You can do both if you find the right guy.
Mayweather should basically have been Parker from Alien. He knows his poo poo and has been in space longer than the rest of the crew combined, but he has to take orders from these dirt-grubbers just because he doesn't have the right number of stripes on his sleeve, or a dad who got him the big chair. Oh hey, conflict potential!

But nope, we get the guy who smiles a lot and not much else.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MrMojok posted:

Coto erasure
Didn't Coto turn out to be a massive chud?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's very helpful that all those aliens only attack during the day shift.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

skasion posted:

TOS did it. Leslie, the ultimate crewman! Went through at least three departments, got gassed as a redshirt in “Obsession”, came back like it wasn’t nothing
Galloway got vaporised by a phaser in 'The Omega Glory', but it was just a flesh wound.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Is there a set plan for SNW anywhere? I'm curious to see how much everything has been scaled up compared to the TOS sets.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A large part of S3's lower quality was because Roddenberry had told the network "if you give us a decent timeslot I'll be as hands-on as I was originally and personally ensure everything is up to my standards", but they put it in the Friday night death slot and he went "gently caress it, then", so Fred Freiberger was brought in to run the show instead. He was, shall we say, not as committed to Roddenberry's vision. (A big budget cut didn't help either.)

Freiberger later took over running Space: 1999 from its creators, and it became practically a different show as a result. (I'd argue that Maya and Tony are more entertaining characters than Bergman and Morrow, who they replaced, but there's a far bigger emphasis on 'crazy space monsters run around Moonbase Alpha wrecking stuff'.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Boxturret posted:

"Nemesis"? Can't really imagine something star trek bearing that name. Sounds made up.
It was that episode of Voyager where Chakotay gets brainwashed into thinking some aliens are monsters to be wiped out. Yeah, I had to look it up too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Nessus posted:

It was approximately 7000 vs 200, it was a pretty untenable position. They would have had to give Davy Crockett a Davy Crockett to do it.
"Computer, Davy Crockett."
[The Boss appears with a long rectangular crate]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

8one6 posted:

Water is the third most common molecule in the universe (after molecular hydrogen and carbon monoxide) and can be identified from lightyears away with loving 20th century technology, let alone the magic sensors of Star Trek. The Kazon were a loving joke within minutes of their introduction.
Everyone thought the same about the Pakleds, and, well...

(They were still a joke, but now a dangerous one.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

No Dignity posted:

I didn't realise he was from Yorkshire
Up'ill both ways!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

I am impressed Voyager the Berman era ended without Jeri Ryan every female cast member trying to murder Rick Berman at any point.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

dr_rat posted:

I mean maybe they all tried and Berman is just insane lucky and just somehow obliviously Mr Magoo'ed his way out of all the entirely justified murder attempts?
Mr Mugatoo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

blastron posted:

A show that didn’t chicken out of doing season-long arcs could have a season featuring aliens with weird drive tech that let them keep up with Voyager, ultimately ending with Voyager either managing to steal that tech or moving beyond its effective area. Imagine if the aliens with the galaxy-wide transporters from season 1 wound up being the recurring antagonists, instead of it somehow being the Kazon again.
It shows what a bland unmemorable mush early Voyager was that I can't even recall who the galaxy-wide transporter guys were. I've seen every episode, but...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
IIRC the Cheyenne's nacelles are highlighter pens as well.

That must have been a great time for the model crew. "We need about a dozen brand-new starships by next week. Grab every AMT kit you can find, and raid the stationary cupboard!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

My little headcanon is that Sisko is 'still missing' to the galaxy but yeah he's just been chilling back at their house and hasn't told anyone but family and friends.
Reminds me of the second X Files movie where the FBI is searching for Mulder at the start and it turns out he was just at Scully's house the whole time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah, sure. Thread rewatch of Schizoid Man?
My favorite episode of The Prisoner? I'm in!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sash! posted:

The next time I try a Nazi planet, I'm going to make them wear bright yellow uniforms and see if that makes things different!
"I'm a Nazi but I love color, what can I do?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FISHMANPET posted:

Onto "Cold Front" and Silik is such a lovely villain. Nothing he does makes sense, not even to him. He just admitted it to Archer. And we'll never truly find out! What an awful mystery box.
Nobody knew what was going on, not even the showrunners. "Who is Future Guy?" "Ehh, dunno." :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm still genuinely surprised that none of the TNG main characters died heroically in S3 of Picard, but I guess Matalas was such a TNG fanboy - or so scared of being the target of the kind of terminally online chuds he palled around with - he didn't want to. (So he killed off Ro and Shelby and Legolas instead, and even then tried to weasel out of it all three cases.)