Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The really stupid thing is that tomatoes are a one year plant. Like, it goes from seed to big plant within a few months and then dies in the autumn and you have to start over. Actually a pretty good metaphor for what the marquee should have been doing.

They could at least have done wine or olives, where the plants can be hundreds of years old, but no, go with tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Section 31 has already seen what you are packing and frankly, we aren't that impressed

Counterpoint: if you're getting your idiot son on illegal and experimental smart DNA treatments, you'd probably also do a penis enhancement.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Quark isn't a Worf, but he is a true believer; the kind of guy who embarrasses everyone because he bought in on the grift 100% while everyone else is mouthing along for the $. He's got his copy of the Art of the Deal enshrined above his bed and screws over his employees so that he can invest as much as possible in timeshares.

So he's more of a Martok then?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wait, I thought the origin of Morn being chatty was that they went to great lengths making the costume in a way that allowed him to speak, but then his line was cut and it didn't matter.
Also, for a character that literally never spoke and basically just hung around in and around a bar, he was quite good, more fleshed out than most of the Disco characters.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

That’s a pretty terrible way of putting it since I don’t think Sisko would have been happy either if it was accurately racist :v:

I think it's a great way to point out to the present(ish) day audience how racist that time was, so I think it actually works pretty well the way it is. But there's also ways to write a similar setting that acknowledges the racism but also doesn't glorify it. Maybe Vic could have done some cool things like going to bat for the black employees, throw in a racist heckler who gets thrown out or something. It would probably not have been a great addition to DS9, but in universe it could have been done.

Also I'm the guy who didn't like Vic. He just never really connected for me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Spock is not a part of Biblical canon; he's a character someone made up almost 60 years ago.

Aside from the hot atheist take here, the Bible is actually a good example of how Star Trek should handle canon. There's a ton of inconsistencies and contradictions in the Bible, and yet people manage to treat it as a whole and even build on it somewhat coherently (or not, but that's fanfiction for you). Basically, the approach should be to reference earlier stories when it makes sense, maybe try to kinda make everything fit together, but also acknowledge that it's all just stories written by lovely people in lovely times, and if the specifics get in the way of your new cool story, please ignore and replace them. Especially if they're 60s misogyni.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

B-b-but the Gorn!

I think lower decks should lean into it and have a few different episodes with Gorn, all contradicting TOS, SNW and each other.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Character canon is a whole other story, at least when you have actual actors like in Trek. If you're gonna reuse a character, please actually use that character and not a different character with the same name and face. It's less bad within a series (Bashir comes to mind) as long as it doesn't directly contradict, but Patrick Stewart in Picard should absolutely have been a different character.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think the whole empire power level thing is being influenced by the one race, one planet, one empire (and one climate) thing that sci fi often does. Like, the Klingon empire is all Klingons from Qonos or if you're lucky from some subordinate colony. There are no other species or centres of power, just a monolithic empire. So because the Federation manages to have multiple species and planets (mostly off screen), they must be bigger.
It's kinda boring too, having more complex antagonists would really add to the setting, just like the DS9 exploration of Klingon society did.

Also the worst example is the religion exhibition in Babylon 5 where the aliens show off their unified planetary religion, and the humans pull out a whole bunch of different Earth religions because of course we are so complex and the aliens would never be.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Guess the 90s sitcom:

Is Odo wearing clogs? Also he, Kira and to a lesser extent Quark look weird without their makeup.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

holefoods posted:

Frakes gets a lot of coin for his appearance as Chef

I don't think anyone actually wants that particular episode anywhere tho

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No Dignity posted:

He made the only good season of Enterprise, and for that he'll have my eternal respect. What a lovely way to go though :(

I don't think he had much say in that final episode though?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Enterprise is the Trek I'm least likely to skip the intro on. Y'all need faith of the heart

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

But we barely see the wormhole full of colonialist alien theocrats????

Okay, this set me spinning. First of, we don't see the Dominion for the first few seasons, so...

But knowing that you refer to the prophets: calling them theocrats is so linear. The idea that they just did whatever for fun on Bajor and then DS9 happened is the least fun reading of the prophets being the prophets. What you really should have is the events of DS9 rippling back through time to shape Bajor's past, including the Sisko trying to get the prophets to understand.
And that's the Nu-Trek I want: David Lynch or similar, preferably high as gently caress, telling the nonlinear story of Ben in the Wormhole. I look forward to the big oopsie that results in the caste system.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

gently caress them, star trek owns

Counterpoint: Picard and Discovery and Nemesis

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, they have replicators and a bunch of crew that probably lost their primary purpose when they got stranded. Exobotanist you say? That's Delta Quadrant for shuttle builder!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

He didn't really do a genocide in the sense that he just retconned them out of existence, or at least that's what I remember. But I guess there should be some temporal directives for that...

Also he's pretty down with being punished, so just copping out saying he's too powerful would cheapen his remorse I think.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

Both the Kilngons and Romulans get called empires but do we ever see an emperor or empress? I can only remember chancellors and praetors.

The Roman empire was an empire without an emperor for long times, it's about how much territory they control, not a system of government.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It sucks because LeVar Burton is such a great guy, but Geordi had some creepy incel moments over the course of the series.

I feel like they tried to appeal to introvert nerds, which is probably good, but we* as a society has done a lot of work since the 90s to realize how creepy behaviour works and what is definitely uncomfortable on the receiving end. Kinda like how TOS tried to do gender stuff, but it's not holding up.

*We meaning mostly men, and only the subset of men who are not shitheads.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Old People Acting is an art that has barely seen improvement over the past 30 years. Most actors still do way too much, shaking their head like they have a neural condition, smacking their lips constantly, putting on a deeply strained voice.

I'm taking it you didn't watch Picard?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Not much of it, are you referring to Patrick Stewart himself? Cause he's got more of a fragile, quavering voice now. Most actors portaying old people tend to do "I lost my voice yelling at the concert last night, and now I have to push to make any sound come out."

Yeah, that was what I was going for, but I hear what you're saying. It's just very jarring with action Picard sounding like a man who is gonna break his hip if anyone looks at it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Isn't Klingon society basically in decline because they went from having a nuanced society to focusing everything on combat and honour? I think TNG had a Klingon scientist who just wanted to do some engineering, but she kept having to deal with getting looked down on for not fighting.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just make an animated sitcom with Gowron, Garak and Weyun going on adventures. Or rebuilding Cardassia I guess

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zoux posted:

It would actually make MORE sense if all the non-honor based professions were done by conquered auxiliaries and menials.

You could also do a cool backstory about a peaceful space faring species making first contact with the Klingons and getting the tables turned on them to explain how they got the tech. Hell, weave it together with their slaying the gods myth and you're going somewhere.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As long as we agree that Dukat was justified in all his actions.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh and that they turn to the camera and say theyre a communist and theyre the exact kind of communist I am.

I personally prefer characters that actually do something...

But yeah, the main point is right, straight up flawless heroes are boring, good characters have some bad parts and relatable motivations and so forth. But it's also important that the show acknowledges when a character is doing a bad thing, so it doesn't look like a good thing, which is what doesn't always happen with Odo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nessus posted:

Hm... if he's a cop, that's bad... but if he's Zizek, that's good, right?

It seems impossible to tell whether Odo is good or bad.

A cop impersonating a communist is still a cop.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

It loving absolutely does

It's like pedophilia and Star Trek, there's correlation, but they're distinct concepts.

I'm rewatching BSG now, and it's very obvious that it takes a way different approach to good guys than Star Trek. In Trek, the good guys are actually good, and the show portrays them and their actions as good (mostly, but they always come around. With some exceptions in DS9). In BSG, it's dudes trying to be good, and maybe they manage on balance, but they're not justified or redeemed for their bad behaviours. It makes for better drama (Trek sucks at drama for this reason), but it also goes way over the top often.
Game of Thrones goes all in and doesn't even have good guys or heroes (except Ned Stark who does nothing and dies), just dudes trying to do stuff for reasons.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

thotsky posted:

I dislike the Maquis and most of the Dominion War stuff in DS9. It's very neoliberal in a way that has aged much worse than the liberal utopianism of TNG. I have no trouble imagining that the writers didn't give them a good reason for wanting to stay because that's how they feel about Palestinians or the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh or whatever.

The Dominion war is mostly good, but yeah, the actual Dominion and especially the Founders are kinda uninteresting because their motive is just, well, Dominion because of bad species childhood. It mostly works as a backdrop though, to have the Vorta and our heroes and alpha quadrant regulators do character stuff, which is the real meat of the show.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Ice Cream Maker sounds more interesting than the poo poo Star Wars has done post New Hope in its downward spiral. What's up with this ice cream man? Is it normal earth ice cream or do they use different milks or vegetables or nuts or what? Is it Force Ice Scream? Can it kill womptats?

It's the Death Star Plans, everyone on screen is involved in stealing those. It's literally a random extra using an ice cream machine as a sci-fi prop who somehow ended up getting a huge impact backstory.
Also Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars, Jedi is the beginning of the downward spiral.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Controversial opinion: Jadzia was only good as a love interest for Worf, so she should have had better writing have been written out a lot sooner

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

House of Quark, but it's a sitcom with a love triangle between Grilka, Worf and Quark

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The whole discovery of the wormhole is weird really, since they just basically stumbled upon it after a period with presumably heavy traffic and seemingly a long history of space faring before the occupation too.

The hindsight explanation is that it had to be discovered at that time for the Sisko to fulfill his destiny, so the prophets opened it at the right time for that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I reckon you could make a pretty great 30-minute animated comedy series out of that premise

5 minutes is all I need.

Wait, we're still talking about Sub Rosa, right?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Star Trek TAS wasn't actually targeted at children, it was sold and marketed as direct continuance, or seasons 4 and 5 of the Star Trek, the series. But now in animation because why not.

That is actually wildly ahead of its time in a way, are there any other cartoons for adults before Simpsons that had any kind of mainstream relevance?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

In retrospect, they should have figured out that Neelix will rapidly run out of knowledge as they get further from his home area, making the core part of the character's origin useless.

If they'd actually engaged with the premise of Voyager, this should have happened at the latest halfway through season 1, accounting for engine trouble and assuming Neelix originated in the direction they were going. Same with the Kazon, they should not have been able to follow Voyager at all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

On my first watch of DS9, I loved Jadzia, but on the second, I realized she was like that awesome D&D character with the cool backstory, which ends up being just another murder hobo in the actual campaign. The concept of Jadzia is good, but so little comes of it. Ezri is kinda the opposite for me, not a particularly interesting backstory, but she actually does interesting stuff, both on her own and with others. I would have preferred that the switch happened way before.

And if they wanted a main cast female, why not have Odo change gender? It's not like it couldn't be handwaved, even if the actor didn't need to be replaced.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In the future, they solved religion (the solution was whatever the writer's religion was)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Didn't Voyager, or the shuttle, technically leave the galaxy in Threshold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Perhaps some sort of gate to go between stars?

I agree though, it could be a fun version of what Voyager should have been.