Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Does anyone remember the game Star Trek: Legacy? I got it for Christmas, installed it on my PC, and was very disappointed with it. Maybe I'd like it better now; I don't remember now why I was dissatisfied. This was 2006 or so.

It was very bare bones and boring. Bridge Commander came out around the same time/slightly earlier, I believe, and was way more fun and interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

A new Star Trek strategy game was announced, Star Trek Infinite. It's from Paradox that makes great strategy games.

From the teaser it looks like at minimum you will get to choose between Federation, Romulan, Cardassian, and Klingon factions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cM3Rsh7lQ

Oh yes, I'm in for this

The Star Trek mod for Stellaris was really cool, but the mechanics weren't quite Trek-y enough, so if this can follow through, it'll be my perfect "lost six hours somehow" game

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Arivia posted:

Data is programmed to be able to taste and get drunk from alcohol but he chooses not to. Do you think Soong was 420-friendly too?

It was the enlightened future, so definitely, yes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

davidspackage posted:

"and by the way, I hate tranya"

Impossible!!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Union man to the end!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

it's thematically on point too. as the ferengi learn later, capital will absolutely use violence to eliminate threats to number going up

The Deserter: (he opens his eyes and stares right through you) It was real. I'd seen it. I'd seen it *in reality*.
Half-Light: Some kind of great terror. Worse than what you've seen.
You: Seen *what*?
The Deserter: The mask of humanity fall from capital. It has to take it off to kill everyone — everything you love; all the hope and tenderness in the world. It has to take it off, just for one second. To do the deed. And then you see it. As it strangles and beats your friends to death... the sweetest, most courageous people in the world... (he's silent for a second) You see the fear and power in its eyes. Then you *know*.
You: What?
The Deserter: That the bourgeois are not human.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

I want to retract every negative thing I've ever said about Seth MacFarlane. (Mostly from the writing of the Orville but still.)

Let's not go crazy now!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bev rules and is possibly the most highly evolved human on the show

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Fornax Disaster posted:

I have similar questions about the main shuttlebay on the Nebula Class.

Just gotta fly carefully!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Devil's Due is a strong episode

It's the epitome of classic star trek

It's campy, weird, slightly horny, and it's all about our heroic rational humanitarian future people making GBS threads all over superstition and ignorance

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Yeah same it loving ruled, probably the only movie I've ever seen where I was super hyped for it and it delivered.

e: lol when starfleet brought in their own cop because they didn't trust odo to cop properly but then their cop turned out to be a space libetarian revolutionary-cosplayer canadian convoy rear end in a top hat so I guess the moral here is uhh don't be a cop

An evergreen sentiment

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm sure I'm going to waste tens of hours on that game eventually but I'm going to apply the same technique I do with every game nowadays

Wait for months until it's been patched to a point where it's playable

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What do we think of SNW Kirk?

I actually think it's a pretty good interpretation. He comes across as as pretty complicated fella

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm enjoying him so far. It's interesting that they did essentially two False Kirks to start out with between Pike Lives timeline Kirk and then the Khan Dies timeline Kirk where they're both departures from the same baseline person, and then you finally meet that Prime timeline Kirk. Because the Pike Lives timeline Kirk is a dude who's really good, but could have been great if Pike still being around hadn't deflected him from his destiny, and the Khan Dies timeline Kirk is a guy who is great but was molded into the wrong version of himself by growing up a bad timeline and when La'an tells him that Sam's alive in her timeline, that's when he starts to turn into a version of the Kirk we know and love.

And then Prime Timeline Kirk finally comes along and we can see immediately that this is a dude who is going to become a legend because he's charming, personable, is goal-oriented, and is able to recognize not just other people's talent, but when other people are right when everyone else is saying they're wrong and not be afraid to take a massive gamble on that intuition. Watching Paul Wesley work on SNW, I've never once said "That's not Jim Kirk".

Exactly how I feel :)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MuddyFunster posted:

Yes! I'll take that! V is great!

I know the effects took a hit and Shatner didn't get his grand angels and demons showdown (hell, he didn't even get a single pitiful looking rock monster), but I like the big finale of it. The starship line is a pearl that should be treasured, of course, but the line that gets me is Kelley's impassioned delivery of "I doubt any god who inflicts pain for his own pleasure!"

I think it's probably one of the best Kelley performances in the series and that's saying something because he's always never anything less than lovely.

Hell yeah, that's my favourite bit too, Kelley kills it throughout the movie really. Bones is my favourite TOS character, love the 'crochety doctor with a heart of gold and absolute moral stances' archetype.

Actually, was it an archetype before TOS? I'm sure it must have been

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MuddyFunster posted:

That's an amazing observation and sort of sat at the back of my mind as an uneasy itch throughout the movie, a thought I couldn't quite form. It's a bit poorly thought out.

Oh I don't know, I think there was some element of intentionality there, even if it wasn't necessarily conscious. It was 2003, after all, and US culture was even less sympathetic towards the Other than it usually is

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Elijah Woods turned out to be a (seemingly) really chill and balanced dude too

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Nebula class too blegh

you wanna watch yourself bud or it'll be bat'leths at dawn :mad:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I've heard goons rave about this for years and now I've finally watched it and it's genuinely as good as everybody says!

Gotta find the full version

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Naval lingo and protocol has you reply to orders with a two-element response: "I understand, and I will comply." Hence the stereotypical "Aye-aye!" It's also acceptable (and often better for clarity) to repeat or summarize the order in place of the first "aye".

Fifteen years out of the Navy and I will still respond to the occasional request or instruction with "<request>, aye!" It's that ingrained.

Ha, I've wound up doing this organically, just because my line manager is so incredibly rambling, imprecise, and absolutely exacting about what she wants.

Can't blame me if it's not what you want, I echoed back what (I thought) you wanted and you agreed!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Boxturret posted:

Some people don't appreciate the Nebula class and they are wrong.

:hai:

Favourite 24th century design, and strong contender for favourite of all time (but the Connie refit ultimately wins everyone's heart, in the end)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

zoux posted:

The poo poo at Wolf 359 was mostly Lost Era ships. Couple of Nebulas (trash) and one Galaxy were the only modern ones.

t:mad:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Taear posted:

I was thinking today of Ben in Lower Decks (the TNG episode) and how loving mental it is the idea that you're basically on an aircraft carrier, unpaid, to be a waiter.
Being a waiter is such a weird thing to be ANYWAY on a post-scarcity ship with replicators but the idea that you'd come and do that is pretty bonkers.

I guess you want to explore but not be in the military?

That'd be my position, 100%

I like to hang out and drink and smoke and chat and listen to music, I like to see and find out new stuff, and I don't like to be told what to do

So yeah, sign me up

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah cool I'll take a saurian brandy and the lady will have a chocolate sundae

Sounds good, hermano :clint:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I know people who genuinely enjoy working as waiters. They love the social aspect. What they hate is bad pay and abusive job bullshit, but it's the Federation so you don't have to deal with any of that.

Yeah, seriously.

And that's actually one of the more obvious service jobs that one can easily derive pleasure and satisfaction from

Don't make me post the bit from the Culture novels about the guy who likes wiping down tables!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Taear posted:

Buddy, your items are not your life.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

I have two people for whom watching SNW with them changed them from "Trek-apathetic, leaning negative" to fans. It's really good and far surpasses Discovery despite technically spinning off it.

SNW and LDS have turned my previously completely indifferent/leaning "lol nerd poo poo" partner into an avid Trekkie.

Then we did the TOS movies, and now we're doing TOS (and she's seen a couple TNG and DS9 when we've happened to catch them on broadcast TV).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

:psyduck:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I love me some Carol Kane, but that accent they're having her do is just the worst.

Thiiiiiiissssssss

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Everything in popular sci-fi is about sacred bloodlines now.

Ruling class ideology really has seeped into every aspect of culture

It stinks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The only thing good about all of the JJ Trek movies is Carl Urban.

Yep.

If they insist on getting the whole band together for SNW - which they've otherwise been doing very well with, to be clear - then it'd be a bit of stunt casting I wouldn't have a problem with

He's about the right age too, I think?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I thought Pegg was decent as a take on Scotty

Yeah he did well

The new fella looks more like Jimmy D, though, and also is the first Scotty to actually be Scottish

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That really sucks about LDS but it's more than I hoped for

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's just weird that it's Starfleet deciding it can rule on if someone is property or a person when that's something that you would think should go to the highest court in the land and involve several experts in the fields of psychology, robotics, AI, and law.

Sure, but at the end of the day it isn't a documentary, it's a set up to watch our TV friends do Acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Plotac 75 posted:

You gotta be making GBS threads me.

Welcome to the future!

It's not the Star Trek one we were hoping for