Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

That's the thing about being on ketamine in the ICU: you don't really get the choice in the matter. I was convinced that I was jumping into a different reality every time I went to sleep and woke up like I was on Sliders or something and that someone had stolen one of my Let's Play as was updating it without my permission while I was incapacitated when it happened to me.

Hospital drugs are a loving mind-rending trip, I'll tell you what

I was sure Optimus Primal was standing in the corner of the ICU room, nodding at me reassuringly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I'm still mad they recast Primal for the new movie. If you're gonna drag 80 year old Peter Cullen to a booth for these movies every drat time, get Gary Chalk in for Primal.

I love Ron Perlman but the circumstances that made Beast Wars unique were rare even in the 90's and I don't expect any movie adaptation to measure up

Chalk got to be in Stargate a little bit at least

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

It sucked rear end that they not only killed off his character on Stargate but they did it in a very sloppy "wait, did he actually die?" way and then he just never shows up again after that.

Didn't he die when the Russian ship got blown up? I remember seeing him at a con when I was in high school he said that he learned all of his lines in Russian and then like a day before shooting they switched all of his dialogue to English

Actually now that I think about it I think he was in Star Trek as well as a Pakled

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, they blew up the Korolev, the Russian BC-303 they got as part of the Stargate program and he's last seen on the bridge like immediately before it blows. And it's like "Oh, did Colonel Chekov beam out in time?" and everyone was like "I dunno :shrug:" and that's the last he's ever seen or heard from.

That sucks, I liked seeing him on Stargate and I always felt like they did the Russians dirty

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

My personal theory is because "messy" people have some sort of gremlin'esq creatures who follow them around go and mess everything up when no one's looking. This is because messy people are just naturally more friendly, intelligence, good looking, witty, funny, charming, and just all around better people, which attracts these gremlin'esq creatures to them.

naw it's because we're all phasing through various alternate realities where everything is slightly different but also everything you said about us being better people is true though

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If Eddington were alive today he would park his Maquis Raider in the middle of the road in Ottawa and start blaming Trudeau for the lockdowns

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lookit this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WlpDqYwzw

this poo poo is loving tight

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

You simply cannot beat those TMP-era phasers

I think it's amazing that he made the weapons fire and shield hits look hand animated as they would have been back in the day. It's just so crisp looking and I L M ish and they don't have fuzzy specular lighting or a bunch of cheap filters putting scratches and dust particles all over the camera lens

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
*me, vaping*

the Dal'Rok!!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have finished season 1. I could have done without the slow motion "Noooo!" from Sisko, but overall very satisfying first season.

On the contrary I think there needs to be more slow motion "nooooo"s in Star Trek and media in general

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

They said at the end that they preferred Picard Season 3 to SNW or Lower Decks, these people are clearly Pakleds

Cursed, dwindling fandom

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Goddamn "The '37s" is good. I understand why they held over the episodes for the beginning of the second season (the airing dates make it pretty clear), but that as a two-parter would have been a perfect ending to s1 of Voyager, just like they'd originally planned. Janeway quavering in the cargo hold and then Tuvok's "Captain on the bridge." as the next line is a+ poo poo.

Kind of parallels New Caprica, in form and then showing you the disparity in themes and mood.

What about the incredible cities though

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

I thought that was an obvious casualty of putting it down to one episode and making it fit that format. I imagine in a two-parter the slaver abductor aliens who took the 37s would have come back as well.

They could have at least reused that one matte painting from TNG one more time

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
canon as a concept has been abused to the point of absurdity by now

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of amazing how we've gone from "don't show them the thing they'll remember it will confuse them" to "show them the things they remember to the exclusion of all else"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

And the shutter-speed fuckery from Private Ryan and Gladiator that was ripped off by second-rate directors for half a decade. "It makes the action look realistic and immediate!" No, it makes the action look like stop-motion.

I remember openly laughing at the TV when Enterprise started doing it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
11:59 is one of the episodes I remember what I was doing and where I was when I saw it because it was so bafflingly awful

I was eating instant mashed potatoes at the time and I remember thinking the episode was still worse

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: We never got TekWar or that cop show Shatner did, so I have no idea if he played that in any different way.

TekWar is basically low rent knock off blade runner but made out of early 90's clip art and filmed in Toronto

Shatner plays his character in that pretty Shatnerily.

TJ Hooker the cop show is hilarious because sometimes he does his own stunts (not the more extreme ones like jumping out of a helicopter of course) and you can always tell when it's actually him because he either looks genuinely scared and/or he's sweating bullets. Being a cop show it's right wing and Shatner tries to play a hardass but I think this is the era most of his iconic hammy acting comes from

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

stole this from cspam

Fantastic, no notes

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
mods please change my name to:

davidspackage posted:

Often Bong Soong

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The ubiquitousness of LED track lighting and large flat screen displays has undoubtedly contributed to the genericization of sci-fi production design

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hammock time

yo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
7 Days had a kick-rear end theme tune

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Hell, if it wasn't for legal bullshit I'm sure fans would've done substantially better updated episodes. (Along with multitudes of really terribly done ones)

I wonder if it's now possible to clean up, re-composite and upscale the original VFX shots

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the Vidians could have stopped the Phage but they didn't believe in mask mandates or aerosols

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I actually really like Where Silence Has Lease, just for its vibes. The whole bit where they are on the fake Yamato and it's just hosed up and super creepy in a way TNG usually wasn't, plus I love Worf losing his poo poo at it and trying to fight with the doors

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I fuckin love those pylons

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
that whole sequence owns because it's shot like a typical 00's action scene with shakey cam and overcranked camera shutter speeds but it's starfleet phaser guns vs. fuckin cowboys while an electric guitar wails with the western music soundtrack

ENT had no business being that cool

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

I guess they had to work deep sea into their exploration theme but the CGI submersible 35 seconds into the ENT intro looks like poo poo

lmao I think that was a real sub

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
computer: beam the poo poo out of my rear end

bwee dee boop

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

It's time for everyone's favourite game: Trek Showrunner or Internet Nazi!

You have three guesses to pick who in that picture is the actual for real Star Trek showrunner, the rest are avowed white supremacist YouTubers. Choose wisely.

We need to erase fandoms from the timeline

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I want the glittery bed sheets and pillowcases please.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Did he? Kind of a mixed blessing, more adventures with the TNG cast with better staff would have been nice.

would it have

would it really have

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I mean, that's par for the course when it comes to writers and of course he's not going to be executive producing a show that's ended.

nine-gear crow made it sound like Paramount made a conscious decision to sever ties for the future, but that didn't happen. It's just the natural conclusion of one project and he could very well be hired for another if Paramount decided to move forward on anything.

I get a chuckle out of the whole "woke mind virus" interpretation of the season since pretty much of course the old guys are going to be the heroes of a season that's specifically about their sendoff. So, you would be able to shoehorn that interpretation into any plot for the season. The thing had issues, but most of them I can see now is due to the very reasons why the writers are currently striking.

I also find it rich that people are all up in arms around the characterizations in Picard while touting First Contact as the best TNG movie. At least in Picard you have the fact that time can and does change people. In First Contact, it's barely been a few years since he (twice) encountered the Borg and now suddenly he can't cope and is gunning down his own crew without mercy.

Picard show should not exist and the fact that it was made is a clear indicator that society is crumbling

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
While the action cues from insurrection are better, I think first Contact was Jerry Goldsmith's last really good Star Trek score

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

What is everyone's favorite Kira hair style?

First season, with the uniform that had the shoulderpads and the belt

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Wait, people do like it? It's Pointless Nihilism: The Episode, I'd rather get ludovico'd into a whole musical season of Picard than rewatch it.

the episode had a kind of novelty before *gestures to the last decade and a half*

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I recall one of the writers talking about how they saw Deep Space Nine as being like Gunsmoke in that the problems come to town instead of going out to the problems

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
third shap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Worf made it to captain and was in command of the Enterprise-E for its final mission, all details of which, including the fate of the E itself have been classified by Starfleet as an excuse by the showrunners to let someone else tell the story of the E's final days in novel, comic or video game form. The E was also at Gamma Serpentis and was one of the ships that got hosed up by the Living Construct, and was presumably under Worf's command at the time as well because Picard was an admiral by that point and leading the Romulan evacuation from the USS Verity.

So basically Worf totaled the Enterprise-E twice in the span of 5 years, and the second time it happened it was so bad they loving black boxed it.

I don't know what half of what you've mentioned here is and I choose to believe it didn't happen because it was written by dweebs