Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Can't believe you left out the best and most canon of Star Trek, Galaxy Quest. :lofty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Timby posted:

This is one of the most tired jokes among Trek fandom, honestly.

This is the classic Star Trek thread. Tired old jokes are par for the course, along with the same tired old arguments such as whether or not a transporter kills you when you use one.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Dax is just breaking into your homes and messing them up to prank you.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Jake Sisko researching bus seats from the 20th Century and looking confused as it spits out a swatch with the same pattern he's wearing.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I think they're usually supposed to have hair though.

They should've had him wear different wigs between loops imo.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

space glows

But on a more serious note, you can always go with the 'civilisation advanced enough their ships are more form over function' and just have big flying art pieces.

So like a ship, in the form of some kind of giant bird, for a warship even. :pseudo:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've always been curious if the real reason Q doesn't do much in the one DS9 episode he's in and never appears again is because he didn't want to piss off the Prophets, what with Sisko being part Prophet and everything.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

He died of radiation poisoning and was replaced by himself but from several hours in the future.

There's also the other episode where he's paranoid about everyone around him and "dies" at the end.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

thotsky posted:

If I remember correctly during the run of Enterprise they're at first like "once every 7 years", then "nerds from the pro-emotion sect are working on speeding that up some" and at the end they're like "oh Vulcan women can bang as long as it is logical".

Vulcan men have a 7 year refractory period. :v:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Hasn't it been shown that the Federation tends to do badly in any war against the Klingons though?
Yesterday's Enterprise comes to mind, and the Klingon war arc in DS9. And that's not even counting Disco.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think the Federation president and Council are also the defacto government of Earth, since that's where it's located.
For instance during the DS9 episode where Red Squad try to stage a coup on Earth, we see the Federation president but I don't recall them ever mentioning an Earth president or government.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So member species of the Federation have their own fleets, with the exception of humans because of Star Fleet. Do those fleets ever get involved in wars?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Guess the 90s sitcom:

Becker got a spin-off?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Often Bong Soong

edit: it always bugged me what a crappy, soft, effortless nickname "Often Wrong" was. Did people in the 23rd century get too nice for proper putdowns?

"Moron" Soong

"Dipshit" Soong

"Sheer loving Hubris" Soong

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It was kind of weird that shows set after the TNG era went out of their way to show that hologram tech seems to have gotten worse over time. When they aren't flickering randomly, they're dumb as rocks and can apparently be disabled by blinking at them, and that was a flaw that was apparently around for 900 years.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

remember when they did basically the same thing in discovery despite it being new to the 24th century?

I just assumed that it's the holo equivalent of VR goggles, where it gets popular every 30 years or so before dying again.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I always found this kind of funny because what difference would it have made had he been promoted, other than a boost to his self-esteem? They're stuck in the Delta Quadrant so it's not like they have regular crew rotations. What extra authority or responsibilities would he have gained that he didn't already have as part of the senior bridge crew? Who could he order around now that he couldn't before? It seemed like he was always in the Captain's position in the Night Crew for instance, and could order the other ensigns around when the show remembered they existed.

Whether you see this as an argument for or against Harry's promotion I'll leave up to you. :v:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I don't really mind Section 31 as presented in DS9, and if you keep watching you'll see why. It's the later series portrayals that are just bad, with the possible exception of Enterprise maybe.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I assume it's because season one also had a lot of people writing/working on scripts in TNG that were also in TOS like DC Fontana etc., so it probably gives off TOS vibes when they were still trying to figure the overall direction of TNG.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's really no reason to assume Starfleet Intelligence doesn't already include human sapient agents in the field.

I dunno, they had to recruit O'Brien that one time. :v:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

cenotaph posted:

I agree. I was also thinking that recently when I was watching some Enterprise. I think they got some replacement parts from some aliens and I thought it would be neat if they had picked up some noticeable parts from other species over time. At least they remembered damage sometimes.

Of course they remembered damage, it was the first time there was serialization in Star Trek. :v:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Eh there were certain parts where the designs of the new cgi seemed way out of place with the general aesthetic of TOS. The android showing its insides off comes to mind.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

zoux posted:

I know she’s said that had they written her more like they did in Skin of Evil she would’ve stuck around. My impression is that Crosby left because she didn’t think her character was well used and McFadden “left” because she pushed back against sexism in scripts, and probably on set as well, and therefore clashed with the show runner. There was a huge staff shakeup before s3, even got a new cinematographer

From what I understood, Denise left because they didn't do much with her character and she didn't want to spend the rest of the series standing behind the wooden arch on the bridge. Marina stated that, had Denise not left, there was a good chance that Troi would have been killed off instead, since they didn't really know what to do with character most of the time. She gathered this after talking with Majel, who confirmed that they were seriously considering killing Troi off.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kind of like when those handsome fish people wake up and Lwaxanna is like, lol they're terrorists and they're gonna blow up the conference.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

V-Men posted:

It's fair to say the holodeck's AI is pretty messed up considering Riker and Barclay are the power-users.

The Bynars upgrading it to be a sexy distraction for Riker didn't help matters.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The DS9 theme is the best, because it's the only theme you can sing along to by singing Meow Meow Meow Meow. At least until season 4.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

ENT theme literally started out as a placeholder but stayed there because Berman liked Dad-Rock.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

I liked how that episode ended. DS9 handed trauma well compared to most Trek, and I liked that they didn't take the easy, episodic way out by mashing the ol' reset button at the end of the episode. VOY would have done nothing with it, and been borderline offensive about dismissing trauma.

See also: "It's Only a Paper Moon."

One thing I forgot about it until a recent view is that it's mentioned that O'Brien is seeing a counsellor in it. Compared to say, that episode where B'elanna gets depression after finding out all the Maquis in the Alpha Quadrant are dead and Chakotay is like put your big girl pants on and stop being depressed.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

At least LDS and PIC bring up civilian space ships and non-Starfleet operators every now and then.

Its also hilarious that Jean-Luc Picard also seems to be the only person in the galaxy who has to steal or highjack a space ship every time he wants to leave Earth, because Starfleet wont lend him even a shuttlecraft.

Can you really blame Starfleet, when he has a track record of destroying every ship he had within a couple of years?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Chakotay just loudly insisting they still have a full compliment of shuttles anytime anyone brings up all his crashes.

They have a shuttle bay full of cardboard stands to look like it's full of shuttles. Every time Chakotay is about to enter, they call him away so he can't see just how few shuttles they have left.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah it was a holodeck character using his body, not the other way around.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

zoux posted:

Was anyone done dirtier than Terry Farrell

Grace Lee Whitney?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wil Wheaton then? If that story about how he was offered a major role in a movie and Berman refused to let him have time off for it because there were major Wesley episodes coming up, only for them to be him just be on the bridge with no lines, and it was implied Berman did it on purpose because they didn't want to risk Wheaton becoming a movie star was true that is.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Klingons didn't have an emperor for centuries until the clone of Kahless came along, and that role is strictly ceremonial and spiritual.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DS9 goes into more detail about it. Especially the episode where Jadzia has to pass a bunch of tests in order to marry Worf. Like how the Klingons briefly experimented with democracy.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

La'ans family could have just dropped the Noonien part of their name. But then again they named her La'an, which doesn't sound a million miles away from Khan

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think it's implied in Picard that Worf was the captain of the Enterprise E, and subsequently got it blown up.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They also covered the Cage in Discovery so they might be able to use the same actors from that again.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

In theory Trip was the first officer. But he was in engineering 99% of the time so T'Pol was the actual first officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's usually just replacing the matte painting for whatever planet they're beaming down on. It's a good use of it, in keeping with the vague "we're staging a play" sense that a lot of TOS and TNG/DS9/Voyager have.

They also use it a lot less successfully to replace the mini-sets they built for whenever they hail someone and they show up on the viewscreen. There, it has the effect of "oh, I guess the Bird of Prey's bridge is uh, inside an empty cargo bay now?", it looks bad in that context.

Didn't the La Sirena bridge on Picard have the same problem? Like the bridge was in a giant room.