Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boxturret posted:

Say what you will about the Plinket reviews, but "Everyone wears earth tones because they live on a planet." is a great line.
Also ‘gently caress you Rick Berman’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I watched "Dax" last night. Great episode. I like that on the one hand, it's a classic "debate the legality of your humanity" episode that Trek does better than any other show in history while on the other hand it's a clever way to do exposition on the Trill.
I'm not a huge fan of this episode, mainly because even though ostensibly it is supposed to be about Jadzia, she is barely involved through a lot of it because she's trying to keep something secret

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Both groups also seem to have the need to control things, with how the Prophets use Sisko and how the Founders can only trust solids that they have full control over (the Vorta and Jem'Hadar specifically).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

These are former Telltale people who made this game, so it's not at all surprising that there are a lot of quicktime events in the game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I’m basing it on the physical pain of listening to the dialogue.
Whoever came up with that idea needs to be banned from ever writing again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

The Prophets don't deserve anyone's loyalty.
Sounds like something a Pah-Wraith cultist would say!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Screw the haters, I love The Storyteller.
I like it better than several other S1 episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A new Star Trek strategy game was announced, Star Trek Infinite. It's from Paradox that makes great strategy games.

From the teaser it looks like at minimum you will get to choose between Federation, Romulan, Cardassian, and Klingon factions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cM3Rsh7lQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

Fair Haven/Spirit Folk has got to be the worst related pair of eps in VOY, if not the whole franchise.

Needless to say, they are essential viewing.
If Retrospect didn't exist then Fair Haven would probably be the worst episode

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

I always wondered if the main reason Berman didn't okay the Intrepid and Sovereign for DS9 action scenes was the reaction to the destruction of Odyssey, which was apparently pretty negative. Then again it was Berman so it could easily just have been a dumber reason.
I believe the Sovereign was off limits because they only wanted those to be in the films

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Enterprise shamelessly copied that Voyager episode where Seven is alone on the ship and starts to hallucinate with their own episode where Dr Phlox is (mostly) alone on the ship and starts to hallucinate

Which is annoying because I feel like Season 3 is a step up overall over seasons 1-2

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's perfectly in Q's character to take Picard's girlfriend from him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Irish village episodes are the worst voyager episodes, hands down
It's this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

I don't what

it's very plainly a Star Trek episode. It's Star Trek as gently caress - it's about optimism for a better future, bringing humanity together across differences to achieve great things, and a hope for what the future will be. It's just told as a story about Janeway's ancestor. Most every classic Star Trek series has an episode like this where you get the Star Trek themes in a contemporary human-only setting - "Family," "Far Beyond The Stars," "Carbon Creek." (TOS might have one but I can't think of it offhand.)
City on the Edge of Forever is kind of like that to a degree

11:59 may have had good intentions but it absolutely doesn't work.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A lot of those ideas were basically impossible because this was a syndicated show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Seska as a villain always sucked to me because in order to make her threatening, she constantly had to make the crew of Voyager look incompetent.

They spent a lot of time over the first two seasons talking about how inferior Kazon tech is, but she's able to routinely get the best of Voyager because the plot demands it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

to be fair that's not very hard
Yes but it was even more than usual

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kesper North posted:

I'm extremely pissed about not getting to even see Prodigy S2. My girlfriend's kids are going to be even more so.
It's probably going to come out, just not on Paramount Plus

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

The problem with Archer is that he's a big important historical figure in the Trek universe, and Berman and Braga weren't up to the task of not telling his story as hagiography. I mean, there's an interesting kernel there - the middling nepobaby who has learn how to manage his mission and be an ambassador for these human up-and-comers, but instead they start him out as A Great Man who only gets better. Then when they try to break him down some in season 3, it didn't work because Bakula just couldn't seem to connect with it.

edit:
Literally the only interesting thing about Malcolm is his friendship with Trip, proving yet again that Trip elevates the material.
Enterprise has the same problem that Discovery later has, which is that they are revolving a good portion of the show around the least interesting character.

I kind of like more pissed off Archer in Season 3 because at least he has more of a personality beyond 'the Vulcans were mean to my dad'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lmao Enterprise Season 4 is no longer available to stream on Paramount+

Absolute garbage app. I wonder what minuscule royalties they’re trying to avoid paying by deleting this particular season.
Well that sucks because my wife and I are about to finish Season 3

Hopefully it’s a glitch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I missed the best bits conversation but I always think of this scene from VOY ‘Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy’

https://youtu.be/LQo0fBzMO8Y

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pancreatic cancer is an awful way to go

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1679272596271923201?s=20

Oh Harry.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

V-Men posted:

It's hard for me to square this away when Sisko lets the Romulans join the war on a false premise or used ecological warfare on Maquis civilians.
The Maquis deserved it though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That part felt a lot like a TOS thing similar to how NOMAD talks in 'The Changeling'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Conscience of the King is pretty good. The Alternative Factor is awful

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Turnabout Intruder would like a word.
Turnabout Intruder is also terrible but in a story way. The Alternative Factor is nearly incomprehensible at times.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

It's me, I'm the other one who likes the remastered effects. I think at worst it's a wash and people are giving the original effects too much of a pass because of nostalgia.
I also thought they were fine....a lot of the original effects were extremely rough and while I'm not going to say that the ones from the remaster are amazing, they are still a step up. I don't think it really takes away from much since any of the space shots are extremely quick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Waves and waves of cum

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You’ll notice that Troi conveniently disappears in episodes where the conflict could be avoided by her being around

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking of Troi, I'm watching the episode where Troi loses her empathic ability right now, and I feel like this episode was written by someone who doesn't like Troi very much.
That episode is a mess

They make her into an enormous rear end in a top hat without her abilities

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

His reappearances are fairly recent.

I don't even think he had a voice line in that episode either

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There’s a weird thread in early TNG where there are a lot of these weird scientists living with their wives on some obscure planet that the Enterprise needs to visit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's not only bad but it's incomprehensible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I fuckin love those pylons

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just watched the end of Enterprise Season 3 again, and I love how they waste literally no time after the Xindi/Sphere Builder threat is over to move straight to alien Nazis

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's a long stretch in the middle where the main plot of the season (finding the Xindi weapon) gets mostly ignored. I didn't remember that at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Season 3 of Enterprise is one of those few Classic Trek shows/seasons that really could have benefited from a modern TV 10 episode season, because like barely half of its episode count mattered to the plot.
There's a whole episode where half of the senior staff turn into weird frog people

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

The best one was S3’s Extinction, where the happy-go-lucky rendition of the theme was immediately preceded by an alien getting burned to death via a flamethrower while screaming horribly.
There's another season 3 episode with a cold open where several of the crew are dragging a crazed T'Pol through sickbay, strapping her down to a bed, she screams, and then cut to happy theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

Oh man "Distant Origin" is a good episode. Probably Chakotay's best outing on the series so far.
Yeah although funnily enough, that episode is more focused on the alien scientists and their POV most of the time than Chakotay