Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Gene would have been an incredible L. Ron Hubbard type cult leader had Hubbard himself only stuck to lovely novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kris xK posted:

Enterprise came out when I was an adult and thus cannot be considered classic as I am not that old. Please fix, cheers.

God, it was 20 years ago wasn't it.

Almost 22 actually

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you assume the replicator is making dishes and items from a single “scan” or whatever of the original item every time then it does make sense for people to get bored of it and say it’s bad.

If you ate an identical tomato every single time you wanted a tomato you’d get bored of it eventually too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If this is the Trek Thread-F it’ll just be decommissioned a week from now after Nine Gear Crow is brutally permabanned and then we’ll rename the Modern Trek thread the Trek Thread-G.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve put about two hours into that Star Trek: Resurgence game (played on a Series S, for clarity) and I’ve got Some Thoughts.

Good:
- The voice acting ranges from fine to good, with the XO, Captain, and Debra Wilson being the standouts so far.
- There’s some fun design, like a Starbase that’s kind of a melding of the Regula 1 and Earth Spacedock designs, or the bridge of the Resolute. It feels sufficiently small for a ship of that class without feeling like a cheap redress. I also like the “we’re doing TNG era in 2023” design choices like having simple holograms on the conference table or JJ/Disco-esque transparent data readouts on the very wide main bridge viewscreen.

Bad:
- Any “gameplay” outside of the narrative dialogue choices is pretty dull and tedious
- So far the lower decks NCO guy’s storyline hasn’t been anywhere near as interesting as the XO’s
- The music sucks. I’m sorry to say it, but man it’s like straight out of a cheap FMV game from the mid-90s. You’d think they’d have been able to just license existing Trek scores and repurpose them as needed.

Ugly:
- I know Dramatic Labs is a very small team, and therefore doesn’t have the same resources as previous Trek games and as a result I feel bad saying this, but… the game is ugly. Really ugly. Some of the main characters’ faces look fine, but a lot of the secondary and background characters look Star Trek Online quality or worse. Especially the Starfleet characters. And because of that disparity in quality it can often be extremely jarring in dialogue when the camera jumps from character to character. It wouldn’t be too bad if the game itself was more stylized or deliberately going for a simplistic look, but… it’s not
- All the character animations are incredibly stiff and unnatural looking, everyone seems to move around with the exact same jerky motions and posture
- All the quicktime actions feel like total dogshit as “gameplay” and often break the narrative flow far worse than any of their equivalents in prior TellTale games

I want to like this game and obviously I’m going to finish it since I’ve already spent $40 on it, but… oof. It really feels like they overestimated what they’d be capable of and then got locked into a do-or-die release date after having too many delays.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 30, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

These are former Telltale people who made this game, so it's not at all surprising that there are a lot of quicktime events in the game

I’m very familiar with TellTale games and their style of quicktime events. I’m just saying the qt events in this particular game aren’t nearly as narratively fluid as past games.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nessus posted:

My posting will never improve. I promise

We call this PicardPosting

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The 32nd century Federation President on Disco had Cardassian features including a spoon that wasn’t colored, but she’s also a human/bajoran/cardassian hybrid, so :shrug:

I always just assumed it was the Cardassian equivalent of lipstick.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Found this on the Cardassian MA page:

quote:

The blue coloration was stated to be make-up by Star Trek: Lower Decks producer Bradley Winters [1]

So that’s that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

No Dignity posted:

T'pol/Tucker in season 4 actually was a sweet romance though and probably the best effort on the series, so I'm happy Trineer ended up where he did

Trip is low-key the second best character on the show after T’Pol. He’s got a much better arc than Archer, shows actual growth, and is just naturally more charismatic than Captain GWB. He’s great.

1. T’Pol
2. Trip
3. Phlox
4. Everyone else

I’m not counting recurring characters, otherwise Shran would of course be at the top.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IMO late season Pulaski worked really well with Data because by that point she at least saw him as another being instead of just a pile of circuitry. I doubt they were purposely planning this far ahead, but if Pulaski had stuck around I think she’d have become a great character to constantly pair with Data.

I like Gates McFadden but Crusher didn’t have much of a personality and from season 3 onward Data really only gets paired with Geordi and occasionally Picard. Pulaski would have given Data subplots a little more variety.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

He's usually good and then like every season and a half the writer's room go hey what if Bashir was Dr Mengele for a minute?

That’s just his Augment side kicking in

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrMojok posted:

Ferengi DS9 stuff is IMO the worst of all Trek.

You’re the worst of all Trek :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Lmao Enterprise Season 4 is no longer available to stream on Paramount+

Absolute garbage app. I wonder what minuscule royalties they’re trying to avoid paying by deleting this particular season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrMojok posted:

This is some really, really good poo poo. I expected the link to go to Amazon, but this is free. Where did you hear about this?

Dunno about the op, but I saw it because they’ve been teasing it all over Trek fandom twitter for months.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Question for the thread;

I’m about to start a Star Trek Adventures TTRPG campaign but a couple of the players have watched very little/none of the shows and only have a passing knowledge of the characters you’d expect (Kirk, Spock, Picard, etc). Because of this they’re a little apprehensive about playing in a setting they’re so unfamiliar with, but I really want them to play anyway because I know they’ll have fun.

Do any of you know of a decent video that basically recaps and summarizes the bulk of the TNG/DS9 era, preferably one made with newbies in mind?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

God imagine sitting on the Youtube signup page, writing the words 'Salty Nerd' and not then immediately closing the browser, turning off the computer, and going off to rethink every decision you've made in your entire life that brought you to that moment.

YouTube and other sites like it basically do everything in their power to ensure accounts like that get high visibility and monetization because they drive engagement overall, so if you’re already a piece of poo poo in private it’s kind of a no-brainer to make it public online and get paid for it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s tough to tell, but it really does look like the back half of a Sovereign glued to the front half of an Intrepid, which… honestly isn’t too bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve got a couple Andorian and Denobulan major NPCs in my new Star Trek Adventures campaign, so I’m doing a light Enterprise rewatch as a refresher.

Watched Demons/Terra Prime (still great) and decided “gently caress it why not” and let it roll into TATV. It’s still horrible garbage but I will point out four small positives:

- Shran
- Showing T’Pol as being way more informal and “human” after 10 years on the ship was a great choice that I assume had to come from a suggestion by Blalock herself
- Shran’s daughter telling Archer “Thanks, pinkskin :haw:” is kinda funny
- Archer and T’Pol grieving over Trip is a good scene

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kesper North posted:

Trip got done so dirty. What a shame

Seriously. How do you kill off arguably your best character in a zero stakes scene 15 minutes before the end of your finale?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Given what the newer shows have been pulling and canonizing from all the novels, I’m already assuming the whole “Trip faked his death to help S31 influence the coming Romulan War” thing is implicit canon and it’s only a matter of time before Lower Decks or something references it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

It’s been a while since I’ve read the novels, but basically the books lay out that the holoprogram Riker watched was a coverup and that in reality Trip faked his death in 2155/56 with Archer, Reed, and Phlox’s help and basically became a hesitant agent for Section 31, helping them do covert poo poo on Romulus to prepare for the inevitable war with the Romulans in 2161ish.

Like iirc they actually surgically altered him to look Romulan and dropped him on Romulus with a fake family to do industrial espionage on Romulan military tech.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kesper North posted:

That's crazy.

I'd think Trip would think S31 is too much like the people who cloned up a baby out of him and T'pol's DNA to go along with any of that.

And yeah, Trip is not someone I'd choose for that job. Better to go with a a Hawaiian xeno-anthropologist who at least knows how to pronounce mnhei'sahe ("The Romulan Way", Diane Duane)

I can’t remember what it was that swayed him to do it, but I’m pretty sure S31 sought him out in particular because he’s Earth’s leading warp engine guy at the time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Someone in the writer’s room really wanted Trip and T’Pol to suffer because their last scene together in TATV is them saying they’re going to miss each other after the decommissioning. Ten minutes later, Trip’s lungs are turning into liquid and T’Pol spends the rest of the episode completely shell-shocked from the loss.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Man, Worf really should’ve gotten more chances to be a big goof.

I’m watching One Little Ship and the moment at the very end where he’s pretending to read his poem to Jadzia is just excellent. Dorn has decent range that you don’t usually get to see him use as Worf.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sex ghost candle episode isn’t even a bottom 10 TNG episode imo. There’s way worse poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wait people don’t like Course: Oblivion? It’s one of the few Voyagers I genuinely love because it’s so bleak.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Volume is more like an animated matte painting than a true set replacement.

e;fb

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s a fan creation designed to look cool and interesting, not a technical diagram for an actual real-world vessel.

Rule of cool, absolutely who on earth cares if the docking port isn’t universal?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
A friend of mine joined our Star Trek Adventures game without having any knowledge of any of the shows at all. She’s not really the type to take recommendations because she prefers to just explore stuff on her own, and somehow she settled on watching Voyager all the way through.

So far she’s watched the entire first season in the span of only a few days and it’s honestly been really really fun watching her discover Trek staples like technobabble, nonsense science, etc. Voyager isn’t great Trek, but it’s easy to see why people find it so accessible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Crazy is good imo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Inner Light is great but it’s never hit me in the same way that The Visitor has.

Certain scenes in The Visitor are basically guaranteed to make me choke up/tear up every single time. Can’t say the same about anything in The Inner Light, even though I’ve used lines from it in wedding toasts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Taear posted:

When it comes to it TOS is just absolutely and utterly dogshit at world building. They don't care and it shows.

I mean I guess this is true if you’re talking about the first half of season 1 where certain minor elements were kind of in flux and contradictory based on who was writing the episode, but it’s demonstrably false for basically the rest of the show.

Especially once Gene Coon took the reins.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lord Hydronium posted:

DS9's "Paradise" doesn't have any appearances by Odo, Quark, Bashir, or Jake, which makes me wonder what the record is for the Star Trek episode with the fewest main cast members of its series in it. TNG I've noticed was pretty good at sneaking in a scene or two for cast members who didn't have a major role in that episode.

For TNG it’s probably either a Picard-centric episode like Family or Tapestry, or Shades of Grey if you only count the new scenes shot and not the stock footage from previous episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Boxturret posted:

Family still has the plot with Worf's parents coming onboard the Enterprise though, right? So you get a lot of the main cast there.

I forgot that was in the episode. Worf, Geordi (iirc?), and Troi. O’Brien and Guinan if you’re counting guest stars. No Data?

Picard and Riker are apparently in every episode according to Memory Alpha.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 3, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MuddyFunster posted:

I've mentioned this before, but the makeup effects in Deadly Years are so much better than any of the early attempts to do the same in TNG where they all end up looking like... Uh, whatever the gently caress this is.

They'd get it a bit better in Future Imperfect, just throwing in a shock of grey here, a line there. Obviously they're not all meant to be THAT old there, but still.

Part of it is also the performance accentuating the awful makeup though. The guy playing the Admiral acted like he’d never seen an old person in real life before and had only been told folk tales of how they moved and acted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
All Trek is canon until proven otherwise, gently caress Roddenberry

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Knormal posted:

I know this is the classic thread so I'll spoil this for people who don't want to get worked up about something stupid, but Picard established that the 2024 Europa mission that was the focus of the second season found a sentient microbe on Europa that eats pollution so it eventually fixed everything back on Earth.

Just in time for the eugenics wars and nuclear annihilation!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Odo has fascist tendencies due to his very strict binary sense of right and wrong and his decades of experience watching solids be awful to each other. He’s very much a Lawful Neutral character and that rigidity is really only broken over time because of the influence of people like Kira and those fascist tendencies definitely lessen over the course of the show.

I don’t think you can make the argument that the Odo who travels to Cardassia to help organize a resistance movement against an actual fascist government is still a fascist himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

When it comes to weird sex poo poo, you honestly can't tell if it's Roddenberry or Berman. It's probably the reason why Rick was picked to be Gene's successor, he was as big of a sexual deviant as the Great Bird was himself.

Nah, Gene was very specifically a 70s sex weirdo/possible (probable?) sex pest. Berman was a weaselly little Hollywood exec serial sexual harasser.

You can always tell when something must have been a weird Gene sex mandate.