Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I was sure Optimus Primal was standing in the corner of the ICU room, nodding at me reassuringly

Well that's just prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I'm still mad they recast Primal for the new movie. If you're gonna drag 80 year old Peter Cullen to a booth for these movies every drat time, get Gary Chalk in for Primal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Eesh, The Quickening was a dark one, especially the part where Bashir and Dax inadvertently make the virus worse due to their equipment and he just hears the entire infirmary calling to him to euthanise them.

I think it's very underrated. Dax's put down to Julian for being so arrogant to think there's no cure because HE couldn't find it has stuck with me for a long time.

The show doesn't forget either. If they need to show him busy after hours, he's usually working on that same virus.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve put about two hours into that Star Trek: Resurgence game (played on a Series S, for clarity) and I’ve got Some Thoughts.

Good:
- The voice acting ranges from fine to good, with the XO, Captain, and Debra Wilson being the standouts so far.
- There’s some fun design, like a Starbase that’s kind of a melding of the Regula 1 and Earth Spacedock designs, or the bridge of the Resolute. It feels sufficiently small for a ship of that class without feeling like a cheap redress. I also like the “we’re doing TNG era in 2023” design choices like having simple holograms on the conference table or JJ/Disco-esque transparent data readouts on the very wide main bridge viewscreen.

Bad:
- Any “gameplay” outside of the narrative dialogue choices is pretty dull and tedious
- So far the lower decks NCO guy’s storyline hasn’t been anywhere near as interesting as the XO’s
- The music sucks. I’m sorry to say it, but man it’s like straight out of a cheap FMV game from the mid-90s. You’d think they’d have been able to just license existing Trek scores and repurpose them as needed.

Ugly:
- I know Dramatic Labs is a very small team, and therefore doesn’t have the same resources as previous Trek games and as a result I feel bad saying this, but… the game is ugly. Really ugly. Some of the main characters’ faces look fine, but a lot of the secondary and background characters look Star Trek Online quality or worse. Especially the Starfleet characters. And because of that disparity in quality it can often be extremely jarring in dialogue when the camera jumps from character to character. It wouldn’t be too bad if the game itself was more stylized or deliberately going for a simplistic look, but… it’s not
- All the character animations are incredibly stiff and unnatural looking, everyone seems to move around with the exact same jerky motions and posture
- All the quicktime actions feel like total dogshit as “gameplay” and often break the narrative flow far worse than any of their equivalents in prior TellTale games

I want to like this game and obviously I’m going to finish it since I’ve already spent $40 on it, but… oof. It really feels like they overestimated what they’d be capable of and then got locked into a do-or-die release date after having too many delays.

I think this is a bit harsh, although YMMV if you're playing on PC as I'm on console. I think the minigames have been surprisingly decent, especially the transporter one, or at worst unintrusive. I actually like the music as well, it feels very of the era.

The fact that the whole game is a sequel to The Last Outpost is a very odd choice, to be fair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one actual cast cameo was pretty good though: You call Riker on the Titan because he's the only senior officer to have met a Tkon before. And Solano once again pulls his "uWu, poor me, we can't teww Starfweet or i'll wook bad" act. And, yes it's metagaming, but it's Captain loving RIKER, there's literally no-one more trustworthy in the whole fleet to tell poo poo to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

I could definitely see a bored teenager, living on his own for the first time, just getting high and standing at the replicator making pants for 30 minutes. Boredom does weird poo poo to people.

Also, Jake was an aspiring writer at that time. When I'm writing and I hit a wall, I could definitely see myself loving around with a replicator for no reason. Think of it like the 24th century's answer to scrolling through social media.

"Hmm... I really think nailing this character's dress sense will pull the whole thing together and get ne over this hump... Computer, replicate late 22nd century pants in a variety of styles appropriate for urban wear."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Thaw isn’t bad in a good way, it’s good.

I'd argue the script is very mid but it's elevated by Picardo, Mulgrew and especially Michael McKean.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the Vic Fontaine stuff in later seasons, it's a cute idea. Also the Chimera was a really cool episode. I loved the other changeling who has mastered form, even able to become something formless

I know what you mean, but that does make it sound like a wuxia movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sash! posted:

I also have a feeling that Quark is...look, a lot of the Ferengi Mega-Capitalism is actually the state religion. Quark is a religious fundamentalist that doesn't realize all of the other Ferengi putting their latinum into the collection box in the FCA waiting room are just going through the motions for tradition and state religion reasons more than a true belief. He's so in to it that he has no idea no one else really is.

Or, put another way, he's Worf.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The opening arc in S2 of DS9 might not be the strongest arc in the show's run but it is kind of a preamble to the sorts of things Ira Behr and co figured the show did really well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

"Computer, Picardi and soda, neat"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Keiko thinking she discovered the video was tampered with because of how well she knows her husband is loving lol

It's a really solid punchline, which is a very odd way to end what's otherwise quite a dark episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's being at best uncharitable, at worst just straight up making stuff up? I mean, like or hate the new Gorn but I have no idea where you're getting that it's been done to make Arena make sense rather than just that they wanted to do a particular type of story/antagonist and the Gorn fitted. And the shot-for-shot thing was one episode where that was literally the point. DS9 must be worthless too, it had one whole episode where they copied a TOS ep too. And they absolutely knew what they wanted to do with Hemmer. You can dislike it, disagree with it, but he had an arc and was largely there for Uhura's story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BonHair posted:

Aside from the hot atheist take here, the Bible is actually a good example of how Star Trek should handle canon. There's a ton of inconsistencies and contradictions in the Bible, and yet people manage to treat it as a whole and even build on it somewhat coherently (or not, but that's fanfiction for you). Basically, the approach should be to reference earlier stories when it makes sense, maybe try to kinda make everything fit together, but also acknowledge that it's all just stories written by lovely people in lovely times, and if the specifics get in the way of your new cool story, please ignore and replace them. Especially if they're 60s misogyni.

B-b-but the Gorn!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Bashir is a bad example as a combo of lucky writing and Siddig being an actor who grew substantially while on the show (DS9 is like his second screen credit) means his character is actually fairly consistent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Blood Oath was great. Excellent Klingon centric episode.

Profit and Loss I'm a bit cooler on and only because a key part of the plot hinges on Odo being able to do whatever he wants in Security. Sisko ordered those Cardassians arrested and he then unilaterally decides to free them. He's violating an order and acting as a rogue agent. It gives the impression that DS9 has no rule of law and that the Federation can't actually be trusted to keep their word, especially if Odo isn't meaningfully reprimanded. He's not removed as Head of Security for deciding the Cardassians should be released for instance. It's a shame because otherwise the episode is quite good. Quark's performance is wonderful, Garak is a delight, the intrigue is engaging, and they utilize the cloaking device mentioned early in the episode well.

I can imagine any number of ways that Sisko and Odo explained to the Cardassians how the prisoners escaped, but almost all of them involve putting a target on Quark and despite Sisko and Odo not liking Quark, it would be against their ethics to use him as a fall guy.

Anyway, it's just another complaint that largely stems from the show needing to resolve most of its conflicts in 45 minutes. It's not a dealbreaker, but it stands out.

To be fair, Odo doesn't work for Starfleet, he works for the Bajoran government.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

That "So you've been arrested for murder" scene is bad rear end

Three Men And Adena is one of the most harrowing hours of TV you'll ever watch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

No you have to pay for this one.

We call those 'DLC'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm genuinely baffled that Paradox hasn't released a World Of Darkness game based off of Crusader Kings. There's a super popular mod for that and they own the WoD IP.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

A great use of people with outdated ideas from the 20th century would be if someone assumed Torres was going to be aggressive and passionate, and she's like "What, because I'm half-Klingon?" "No, because you're half Spanish."

The problem with that is she is aggressive and passionate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Actual Satan posted:

They say Gene was a visionary, I bet he knew exactly what he was doing

If Gene had his way there would've been gay and lez loving in the background

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CPColin posted:

It's the blue spoons

I always liked that detail. Did they ever explain it or am I just imagining that it's meant to be cosmetic, like makeup?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

They're lizards, I always assumed it was some kind of crest. A naturally-occurring genetic decoration.

I can see that. I like the makeup idea though, cuz if we're gonna assume aliens do the same weird beauty poo poo we do, why wouldn't they have it for different things?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
DS9 does sort of change what it wants to be a couple of times, but I've always felt the complaint some had about the first two seasons is overblown and very much from the 'Trek should be zoom zoom zap zap spaceships' crowd. The early seasons are very much set in the context of Bajor rebuilding and it's a really interesting setting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, I've always felt that's a bit overblown and disingenuous. Like, it's more like the two Boimlers, if one of them had died fighting the Pakleds would it really matter if the other one wasn't the 'original'? (IIRC they basically say it wasn't pre-existing alternate reality, more like Voyager got duplicated.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

The reason she stops appearing after S3 isn't because the writers forgot she existed. She section-8'd her way out of service and is holed up in her quarters just hanging on with the help of what little counseling that ship can provide.

Neelix is Voyager's de facto counselor.

More seriously, I thought she stopped appearing after the one where the Flyer gets stuck under ice or something? There's a subplot where she's injured and apparently one draft had her die, and they... just forgot they changed that in the shooting script?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, I thought she was in the series finale for some reason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe those are Samantha's appearances. Naomi has way more appearances in far less time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kesper North posted:

I don't think Paramount will be willing to have Star Trek stuff appear outside their own streaming service, my bet is they go full Batwoman and zero out the data so they can write the whole season down as a loss on the merger balance sheet

They've literally said they're shopping it around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Pulaski was an idea that didn't really work out because she was constantly mean to an autistic person who didn't understand why he was picked on and they really didn't socialize at all because Picard didn't have the same crew dynamics that Kirk had.

McCoy and Spock threw burns to each other that could cause 3rd degree scars, but they respected each other and were both friends with Kirk giving the idea that outside camera the three were drinking buddies.

Ironically, the closest they got to the Spock/McCoy thing was a couple of times with Riker. Him vs Shelby, Ro and Jellico had a tinge of that, with greater and lesser degrees of genuine hate vs 'they're about thiiiis close to loving on the bridge'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Often Bong Soong

edit: it always bugged me what a crappy, soft, effortless nickname "Often Wrong" was. Did people in the 23rd century get too nice for proper putdowns?

"Moron" Soong

"Dipshit" Soong

I mean even in the episode where it's brought up Lore is dunking on the bad rhyme scheme. But those are often the ones that stick. Ol' Doc Soong gets worked up when someone calls him 'Often-Wrong' and that eggs them on and then it's a month later and the whole colony's heard it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

So last night's SNW just basically solved all the dated timeline issues (the"wait, I thought LA in 1996 was a nuclear hellscape, yet sarah silverman seems to be thriving" stuff) with a single line of dialogue.

And actually gave the Temporal Cold War more focus and purpose than it had for 4 seasons of Enterprise

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Just finished "The Sound of her Voice", and while I can see what they were going for, I feel like the twist at the end doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. I mean, wouldn't it have been obvious the moment anyone looked up the ship in the computer logs? Or when Sisko was filling the other captain in on current events?

I forget, is the difference a few days or is it longer? Because if it's only days, it's pretty easy to excuse (ship wasn't recorded as lost yet, she was marooned long enough to have lost track of the date)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, Pike is even like "didn't work this time, either, and it hosed up my ship, try again next generation."

Yeah, Una has like one line of dialogue that is just "We ripped out all the holograms boss"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There is some P2 DNA still in TNG, most obviously Riker and Troi being pretty transparently Decker and Ilia. (Speaking of the latter, yet another of Gene's attempts to have 'sex powers' be a thing)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

The sinister underbelly of the Federation is something that comes up over and over in DS9, whether it's observed externally or internally. What's interesting about Inter Arma is that they didn't cop out by just having Sloan - a creepy CIA type just itching to introduce crack cocaine to the streets of 1980s Los Angeles - be the sole representative of section 31 but to have his actions sanctioned by beloved Dadmiral William Ross. You're not supposed to feel good about it.

My low key favourite moment in Inter Arma is when they're talking about Cretak's fate and it's lke:

"Thrown out of the senate?"
"Definitely"
"Arrested?"
"Most probably"
"Executed?!"
"...

I hope not."

It really sells the fact that Ross did this from a perspective of Realpolitik, in spite of his personal feelings.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Conscience of the King's premise is quite a bit better than its actual execution.

Disagree, it's honestly top 5 in the season... maybe for all of TOS for me. Shatner's great in it, the guy playing Kodos/Karidian is good, Kelley/Nimoy nail their roles, and even the dude playing Riley is solid.

Hell, the premise is ropey as hell and clearly makes way more sense as an episode of, like, The Rifleman or something. But the execution elevates it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's me, I'm the other one who likes the remastered effects. I think at worst it's a wash and people are giving the original effects too much of a pass because of nostalgia.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

The physical media releases included both versions, so it’s not like the original versions were Lucased out of existence. That would have been an insult to the people who worked on the original effects.

Yeah, I have the blurays so if I want to watch either version, I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

let's be real, both versions of the doomsday machine look kinda stupid

DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT?!?

*sobs*