Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
No I've lived with someone that messy. It's real to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, the Death of Legate Gamor was a very sad episode. The only one to get me actually crying so far!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Odo as always knocks it out of the park, and his relationship with Quark is peaking with this episode.

Good news! This is figuratively AND literally wrong

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Does anything cool happen to Yoshi O'Brien in the books?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Veotax posted:

son of Smiley O'Brian leading the new Terran Empire in their mirror universe stuff.

A gender-swapped feral Molly that never got sent back in time twice leading the Terran Empire would legitimately be the coolest e.u. thing ever

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Haha all TV is a waste of time! You could've spent that 47 minutes with loved ones! Uh oops...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I always forget the Storyteller is a DS9 episode and looking it up it was originally supposed to be a TNG script so that makes a lot of sense to me.

Also, when I think about it, Damar's character arc really might be the most compelling in the entire series. Thug to tragic alcoholic to flawed and desperate leader to straight up revolutionary martyr

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Farscape had sentient plants, so Star Trek is already behind the curve.

Edit: Huh. I guess they're a thing in TAS and LD makes a reference to them.

Bashir and O'Brien make a reference to one as well, which the LD reference is a callback to

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
*Taps the "classic" part of the thread title*

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Complaining about Star Trek is classic Star Trek.

I'm (surprisingly) complaining about spoilers because I'm catching my wife up on classic Trek before we watch from Picard on together. We're on Enterprise now (just watched A Night in the Infirmary lololol) and obviously just skipped Voyager entirely

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I didn't skip poo poo, I just elected to not show that filth to my wife.

eta: I saw Nemesis in theaters lol

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

(but voyager is good)

:hmmwrong:

She was curious after watching TNG and DS9 so I put the pilot on and she couldn't make it five minutes. Voyager is next level garbage

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

There's nothing wrong with watching any episode of Star Trek. Some are great, some are good, some are bad, some are terrible. The only reason I objected is because it seemed like the OP had a goal (watching Picard with their SO) and Voyager, from what I've read/heard about Picard, is pretty relevant in setting that goal up.

Not watching Voyager is fine, although I do think only watching the first five minutes of "Caretaker" is a mistake since the show is intentionally feeding you a bunch of redshirts.

She had a visceral dislike of both Janeway and Paris, so eh. She loves the character of Picard, so she's excited for it no matter what, and I'm excited for SNW after. I'm watching Enterprise for the first time with her and was also impressed with the repair station episode

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Y'all can definitely quit trying to defend Voyager, of all things. I married my wife for many reasons but her taste and judgement are foremost.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Did she at least see Neelix

She did not. How about I show her Tuvix along with Threshold and the evil clown one and we call it good

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I never really thought about a hate watch but now I may be into it. I'll add these to the potential list..

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh that's awesome looking it up tonight

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ah yes the official Twitter account of... GineokwKoenig?

Is he just really old and his Twitter handle reflects that?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yo momma so fat it takes a Vulcan in orbit all seven years between Pon Farrs to get back to Amok Timing her

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

All the torture O'Brien episodes are all pretty good, poor sap that he is

Yeah, the O'Brien episodes.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The thing that struck me most about that episode was how nobody knew how to use they/them pronouns. It just hasn't occurred to people the producers and writers yet

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I get that, it just scans really weird. Especially watching the one where T'Pol gets a Pon Farr horny virus almost immediately afterwards. I also like how the aliens were like "'it' is the pronoun we use" and Starfleet is like "uh, hell no pick a side assholes we're going with 'she' arbitrarily"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Zaroff posted:

It still surprises me they held out until the end of the second season before they pulled out the T’Pol Pon Farr episode.

It's surprising to hear there's only one

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

zoux posted:

Halfway through ENT s3 and I think I've solved the Archer problem: Scott Bakula is horribly miscast. Bakula is an extremely nice guy, he can only radiate nice guy vibes. He'd've been a wonderful chill, nurturing Picard-style captain but instead he's an throw-em-in-an-airlock, withhold-the-pain-medicine Sisko-style captain. Bakula cannot sell "I'm am doing what must be done" at all.

They also shouldn't have put in my mind the idea of a series where Keith Carradine is captain of NX-01, because he can pull off that style of captain.

I firmly believe Trip Tucker and Jonathan Archer should have switched actors from day one. No other changes necessary.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
gently caress Mayweather, marry Trip, kill Hoshi

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

zoux posted:

You can pretty much watch any episode of a given season of DS9 in any order and not notice, but

:goofy:

Also I think Phlox is now my favorite doctor

E: surpassing Pulaski

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The problem with Malcolm Reed is that he's a seat-sniffing ultra creep who's there to let people who think that knife catalogs count as literature participate in the experience of space. He's a spy and a Randian example of national thinking, like a museum dinosaur.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
To be fair he was offered the narcotic slugs but then he'd have to sleep on his back

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Real "what do I do with my hands" vibes from Jeri

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The timeclone will have gotten him first if he has the chance

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Tbf it's one of the worst ds9 episodes

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

He's usually good and then like every season and a half the writer's room go hey what if Bashir was Dr Mengele Phlox for a minute?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Idunno, getting Darth Vadered by Sisko and the other long running villain was pretty good

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
"Eat any good books lately?" Is a banger too

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Tea, Wesley, Decompressed

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

With all the convention and director credit money you'd think he'd be able to get his back just a tiny bit less hosed up. He's not capable of standing up!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Disagree, it's honestly top 5 in the season... maybe for all of TOS for me. Shatner's great in it, the guy playing Kodos/Karidian is good, Kelley/Nimoy nail their roles, and even the dude playing Riley is solid.

Hell, the premise is ropey as hell and clearly makes way more sense as an episode of, like, The Rifleman or something. But the execution elevates it.

Wasn't it originally written for a Western? I thought I remembered reading it somewhere. Either way it would take very little to make it a regular Wagon Train episode.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

cenotaph posted:

I have no nostalgia for tos but I'd rather see the originals out of historical interest.

This is where I am. I'm not expecting anything except lovingly rendered paint backdrops and beautiful model work

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I say make em roll characters newly introduced to warp civilization and learn about what the universe is like with fresh eyes. It's a prebuilt framework for storytelling that you can be intimately familiar with and surprise the hell out of them at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Watching with my wife I refuse to skip an intro to any Trek. It's PYLON TIME BITCH