Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Eighties ZomCom posted:

such as whether or not a transporter kills you when you use one.

For the next 7 pages, I..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of like Eddison in Deep Space 9, the mid-series Security Chief for the Federation (alongside Odo as chief of Bajoran security), because he's just there as some guy. No major subplots so far or drama, he just does his job and goes home. It's an amusing contrast to everyone else having some kind of major personal stakes in every situation.

The important thing to remember as you watch is that Eddington really loves tomatoes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

and gently caress the original starfleet security guy who was up himself too, luckily he seemed to disappear like a tng first season chief of engineering

I have his musical “Constable Odoooo” forever engraved in my brain for some reason

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Roadie posted:

I always figured that it was the repetition. The food is of good quality, but once you've tried all 38 versions of mac and cheese in the replicator library you know literally exactly what you're going to get whenever you order mac and cheese, in taste, texture, arrangement, and everything else. That's perfectly fine (even good) for some people, but others will always want some real cooking for more variety.

I’d figure by the 24th century, there’d be some random variables they could toss into the food algorithms, like After Effects expressions. “Pick a random number between 4-8 in terms of creaminess of this potato salad recipe”.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CPColin posted:

Decompress Main Shuttlebay

Riker’s euphemism for a particularly notable fart

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wasn’t the colorist for TAS colorblind lmao

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Voyager Minus Chakotay: the episodes are the same but Beltran and his lines are just missing

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My favorite scene in DS9 is the mid-scene cut to

Thot Gor: *unintelligible garbage sound*

Weyoun: Ohohoho hahah you are so funny Thot Gor - oh hi Damar I didn’t see you there :smug:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Should have just not involved Stewart and made Picard about the rest of the cast trying to locate him for 3 seasons, and then in the finale reveal that he’s been dead for ages and/or got his soul spliced into a new cast member.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard makes Nemesis look like a drat good time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Voyager isn’t a work of art and is frequently outright bad, but it’s still sorta cozy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

they came up with the idea of a Cardassian mole amongst the crew members and then worked backwards to insert Martha Hackett into episodes ahead of time, so yep! they did cast her to play a Cardassian

I’m pretty sure this is the only time in the duration of Voyager they thought something out that far ahead. Lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s because Vic Fontaine is awesome.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“What a handsome race.”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know it’s more visual shorthand, but I’m always amused by the “multiple PADDs for different items” thing, now in the age of the cloud and tablets.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s me, I’m the one who enjoys The Alternative Factor. It’s a mess but it’s a weird mess that tickles my brain idk

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Schisms would have been a lot shorter of an episode with that diagnosis.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That is kinda why I enjoy it. It’s just so bizarrely “there” that I can’t help be kinda fascinated by it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
But we will absolutely keep the cowboy planet episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reed phasering T’Pol and then shrugging is an underrated Trek moment.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
DS9 theme has always been mid, ENT theme has always loving rocked.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Fighting Trousers posted:

On this week's Star Trek: Enterprise, everything sucks and Jonathan Archer's just committed his fourth war crime before breakfast.

*cue strummy guitar* "I've got faaaaith of the heart..." :D

The best one was S3’s Extinction, where the happy-go-lucky rendition of the theme was immediately preceded by an alien getting burned to death via a flamethrower while screaming horribly.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Fighting Trousers posted:

"That one's real name is Jeffrey Combs!!!"

Needs to be said by a character played by Tracy Morgan.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Is Enterprise now the only series where none of the cast has ever cameoed in another Trek? I would assume Keating and Trinneer would be 100% down for an LDS appearance.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

https://i.imgur.com/wd8cHu7.mp4

It's 1999 and you're 15. You just rented a new episode of DS9 from blockbuster. Someone else is using the front room so you take it down to the back of the house and push it into the old VCR, the one where you have to fiddle with the knobs to make it work right. You turn up the volume a bit so you can hear it over the sound of the rain against the window, and curl up on the old sofa on the cushions flattened with age, and watch, enraptured.

Same, but it’s 1998 and it’s a fuzzy recording of the previous night’s new Voyager episode, Timeless. You saw the previews for it during the week, and the ship crashing into the ice planet captured your imagination. Sadly, it was on too late (5th grade woes) and had to settle watching it the next morning while you ate your Lucky Charms before catching the school bus.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Was there something unique about the behind-the-scenes with Prodigy that made it ripe for cancellation, or did it just have the unlucky crossover of “we need to do some magical accounting this quarter, and we think Prodigy is getting the least amount of views of all the Treks, even though we’re pretty sure all our viewer measurements are bullshit”?

I though I heard something about it being a joint venture with Nickelodeon that made it a little wonky.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

One of the plot elements of Picard season 2 is that on the Europa mission of 2024 we discovered a microorganism on Io that we were ultimately able to bioengineer in a way that enabled us to reverse most of the effects of climate change.

In the alt timeline of the season, that never happens and Earth suffers badly, leading to worse wars even than WW3 and by the 24th century the planet needing massive planet-scale forcefields and brute force engineering to stay habitable.

Honestly it was kind of a pretty cool story hook and a fun bit of world-building, but in true Picard fashion, it was implemented in the worst way possible.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“What are you…22-23?”

40 year old man: “yes”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MuddyFunster posted:

Nemesis sits alongside Elliot Goldenthal's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within score in terms of ones where I enjoy it and listen to it fairly regularly, but have NO desire to watch the film it's attached to ever again.

TSW soundtrack is utterly fantastic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I never watched These Are the Voyages because I was like "everyone says Terra Prime is a fine finale so I'll just stop with that" but the problem is that it makes the very last scene of Enterprise Trip and T'pol mourning their dead baby.

Honestly though that scene is a great end cap to Enterprise’s themes. The “maybe someday” lines while Trip and T’Pol hold hands shows that these two species, who were so at odds at the beginning, are now on the road to true cooperation and mutual love. And that can be extrapolated to humanity as a whole now being set on the right path to accept the coming alliances with the Vulcans, Tellarites, and Andorians.

But yeah it’s a downer, I cried at the end when it first aired lmao

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And then the episode ends with Brahms apologizing to Geordi, for some reason. Thank the 20-something nerd writers for that one.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of resetting each week, I’ve always wanted there to be an instance of a random redshirt dying in one episode and then appearing alive and well the next episode lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Move Along Home is a delight and I will hear nothing less.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lieutenant Commander War Crimes reporting for duty sir

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like when he has an episode of self-reflection in S4 and has a “everything’s terrible, I’m terrible” breakdown. He’s a bit more chill after that - which I think might have been Coto course correcting his character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Eighties ZomCom posted:

La'ans family could have just dropped the Noonien part of their name. But then again they named her La'an, which doesn't sound a million miles away from Khan

If La’an’s parents didn’t get Gorned, she’d be no-contact with them for posting right wing Kahn memes on Spacebook.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

I still think a retelling of "The Menagerie" would be a perfect way to conclude SNW when the time comes.

This is such an obvious win that I wouldn’t be surprised if it was already (re)written and ready to drag out if/when they get the cancellation notice.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

disaster pastor posted:

Right. There's a bit of tension in that he's fully aware of all the horrible bits but doesn't know there's (kind of) a happily-ever-after following them.

I can see it now. Vina leads a newly restored Pike through a door, and suddenly they’re on the bridge of the Enterprise and all his friends are there - including Hemmer and whoever else has died along the way. Cue tearjerker music, end series.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I kinda love how engineering and cargo bay establish the Enterprise’s secondary hull being mostly a hollow tube staring at the inside of the deflector dish.

I know they scaled up the Enterprise in Discovery only so that it didn’t look puny next to the Disco, but I swear they’ve been subtly shrinking it back down a bit. It’s still a big ship, but the Turbolift Dimension hasn’t appeared at all and they seem to be at least trying to have the sets grounded in some logical manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like the sometimes uncanny-ness though. One of my favorite shots in the series is them walking to the crashed ship on the Gorn Ice Planet. It looks like a painted backdrop in the best way.