Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

8one6 posted:

New thread for old Trek: food argument

Everyone in Trek complains about the food from the replicator except for the unfrozen people from the 20th century who all said it was amazing.

Clearly most of the people from the 24th century are spoiled.

Also Eddington was full of poo poo. "Have you ever had real food?" gently caress off with that poo poo. It's there 24th century equivalent of being into "raw water" or unpasteurized milk.

Also Eddington having the absolute white-guy energy to say that to Ben "peeled potatoes for my dad's restaurant as a kid" Sisko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also can we get a link to the previous thread edited into the OP because sometimes it's nice to go back and look up a post or something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
bless

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dr_rat posted:

You'd think a discovery that big would be mentioned again. For one if it's still habitable than they really shouldn't have any issue finding space for refugees like ever again.

Has that really been a problem on Star Trek? The one time I recall that being an issue was with the people in DS9 who really really wanted to settle on Bajor, even though there were multiple other inhabitable planets with plenty of room and resources for them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

*pop* Here the phasers look and act more like photon torpedoes than the beam weapons they usually are. ...Yeah, we don't know either. Just go with it.

Photon torpedoes weren't yet conceived by the writers by the time Balance of Terror was produced and even the April 17th 1967 revision of the writer's guide doesn't mention them (but does mention the "depth charge" mode the phasers can be set to):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, i always thought it was bizarre that we see a ton of androids in TOS that are outwardly indistinguishable from humans (in "what are little girls made of?" and "i, mudd", for example), but by TNG data is the best anyone could do and even then nobody can replicate that success. then of course picard swings hard in the other direction by showing that "synthetic" research is banned despite the existence of androids that are indistinguishable from humans even on a biological scan level

Okay but at the same time pretty much all of those amazing androids and supercomputers that we see in TOS had either destroyed or imprisoned their creators - and those are just the ones that the Enterprise found! And the one time they tried to put an AI in charge of the Enterprise it turned around and attacked its fellow starships, killing hundreds of people!

Throw in the ethical and moral issues and it makes perfect sense to me that the Federation is utterly uninterested in allocating resources to android development, leaving only isolated crackpots to toil away in service to their outsized egos.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

sure, but that just means they need to modify their software to, well, not do that; alternatively, don't give them that capability in the first place. it's ridiculous that something like that would take hundreds of years

hell, we even have an advanced civilization teach their android construction techniques to the federation in "return to tomorrow". by TNG, nobody can even reconstruct data. was nobody taking notes?

Okay but what's the benefit? What does the Federation get out of androids that's worth risking their civilization over?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

What's y'all's favorite (non-Lower Decks) Star Trek gag?

A Piece of the Action

Kirk has just had Scotty trace a phone call and beam Jojo to Bela Oxmyx's place. Oxmyx is duly impressed:

Oxmyx: "Hey, Captain, that ain't bad!"
Kirk: "Yeah!"
Spock: "I would advise youse to keep dialin', Oxmyx."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cross-Section posted:

Spent the better part of a day cruising through my favorite kind of fan fiction: In-universe history book fan fiction :haw:

To say it's top shelf (especially for fanon writing) feels insane but I mean, just look at these pages:

The folks behind this should be writing on the shows.

Ehhhhh... it makes for fun fanfiction, but it's not good enough for me to want that (or other writing on the same level) as official material.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
There's really no reason to assume Starfleet Intelligence doesn't already include human sapient agents in the field.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

"Where Silence Has Lease" comes off as TNG's answer to "Corbomite Maneuver" without just being a simple redo of it. The confrontation with an unknown new thing with undefined vast powers, the suicide bluff against what might as well be god. Extended tension and dread, in this case mixed with cosmic horror themes. One of the realest moments of Picard being a hardass here too. I bet they don't teach the kids about that on Captain Picard Day!

I don't think that was a bluff. I think Picard was sincerely going to auto-destruct the ship rather than let Nagilum brutally torture half the crew to death.

Beeftweeter posted:

i remember reading here that they did "naked now" because production was starting without (m)any scripts being finished ...

It was absolutely this. Pre-production was already a mess and they were already way behind when the series started production, so "re-do a TOS episode" was done out of desperation. If Roddenberry hadn't been out of his mind and in charge, we probably wouldn't have gotten The Naked Now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Eimi posted:

For general music in the shows, TNG really suffers once they lose Ron Jones. His scores like The Borg Engaged add so much and I hate the trend for music within an episode to fade away and not be important.

Losing Ron Jones was unfortunate but it really came down to Berman bringing the hammer down mid-TNG and insisting on the sonic wallpaper. Dennis McCarthy was plenty capable of big bombastic space opera music, too; some good example episodes include The Arsenal of Freedom and Contagion.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Jay Chattaway's music for Tin Man was also pretty energetic.

MuddyFunster posted:

Okay, I was complaining about the out of tune timpani in the TNG theme, but now I'm starting an episode and it's... Not. It all sounds pretty good actually!

Did they redo the theme between the first two seasons? I'm irritated that it's taken me this long to notice.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it got re-recorded at least once or twice during the show's run.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 25, 2023

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Eighties ZomCom posted:

One thing I forgot about it until a recent view is that it's mentioned that O'Brien is seeing a counsellor in it. Compared to say, that episode where B'elanna gets depression after finding out all the Maquis in the Alpha Quadrant are dead and Chakotay is like put your big girl pants on and stop being depressed.

Yeah, turns out the Maquis are a bunch of dumbasses. Remember the time when some of the Maquis were sneering at Starfleet discipline, so Chakotay says "oh you wanna do things the Maquis way, huh?" and just hauls off and knocks him on his rear end? Sounds like a real effective organization there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MuddyFunster posted:

The Samaritan Snare: Somebody a while back mentioned an episode where Troi is conveniently off the bridge just long enough for them to dump Geordie in the poo poo. Well, that's this one! While it has small problems (I know the Enterprise is suddenly on a time limit, but the whole Pakled thing resolves without them at least getting a "Ha, gently caress you" or any kind of rebuke), I enjoyed the quiet stuff with Picard and Wesley in the shuttle. The Pakleds themselves are so DORKY, I can't help but love them. Ensign Chococidal McManiac is back too, weirdly? Is she a low key constant recurring character like O'Brien or more a Janice Rand "just in this handful of episodes, gone and forgotten soon after"?

A small part I like about Samaritan Snare is the lighting in the shuttlecraft. It probably didn't turn out as well on TVs with poor reception back then but I like that there were options for lighting besides the bland office lighting that every set took on in late TNG.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't even think the captain knew they'd been grappled at that point, just that they'd taken another hit.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
imagine getting so old that you start making insurance claim jokes about starfleet of all organizations

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

No Dignity posted:

It's incredible dedication to the show's love of reset buttons, shoeing Voyager arriving home as it should have, surviving numerous more misadventures and exploits along the way and losing some people in the process and then going nah gently caress that and Janeway enacting timeline genocide to give her buddies their own golden ending

Endgame is, if nothing else, a very Voyager episode.

FISHMANPET posted:

Sulu was the pilot in TOS, Chekov was... the guy that sits next to the pilot? Never entirely clear what that station was, other than that it had some weapons, and Chekov plotted some courses there while Sulu sat in the pilot's ship, so like navigator? Co-pilot? Whatever the plot required?

Sulu was the helm officer, Chekov (and whoever else sat in his chair) was the navigator. Both stations were used to fire weapons - likely depending in part on whether the character in either chair is a speaking role that episode (since there were lots of episodes that didn't have both Sulu and Chekov).

FISHMANPET posted:

Though at times in SNW and TOS, weapons have been fired from a "tactical" console to the left of turbolift doors as you walk out of them, along the back wall. You know, when they needed wandering Scotty or La'An to fire phasers instead of whoever was sitting next to Sulu or Ortegas.

Matt Jeffries certainly intended for there to be a weapons (or "defense"?) station on the bridge, although on TOS the console you're referring to is the engineering station. I think the station immediately adjacent to it was supposed to be the defense console.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

oh that's not as bad as i was expecting. honestly i wish SNW would have gone with the romulans instead of the gorn but i realize that doesn't exactly fit in with the timeline. in fact, i think after "the enterprise incident" nobody sees them again until TNG's "the neutral zone"? that's maybe excluding a few movie appearances though i guess

Or gone with a completely separate species! Either use someone different - maybe the Tholians, who were definitely already known to the feds - or come up with a whole new species to be terrified of!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FISHMANPET posted:

Also speaking of tactical/engineering, I just watched A Piece of the Action, is that the only time the ship's phasers have been set on stun and fired on a planet? Seems like that could solve so many problems.

I think so, yeah.

I dunno how many episodes it would have been applicable, though. In A Piece of the Action, pretty much everyone out in the open is involved in a pitched firefight, so even if you accidentally kill a couple of folks (whether by them cracking their heads open when they fall to the ground, or getting an overdose of phaser stun) it's still likely a net positive and you've only injured combatants. I feel like a lot of other instances where orbital phaser stun might be useful run into problems like there being a bunch of uninvolved civilians nearby, or the usual Prime Directive concerns.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

tholians would be interesting, so would a new species. the problem there is similar to the xindi though, we've had a ton of media set later in the timeline without so much as even an offhand reference, so they can't be that much of a threat to the federation, and if they later became a friendly species or even joined the federation (like the xindi), well, where are they?

that said i guess we're due a first/second contact with the cardassians, and they love to be a gadfly. maybe we can see some separatist tellarites or something, who knows. pretty much anything would be more interesting than the gorn our characters can't even communicate with

Yeah if it's like an existential threat then it gets a bit weird that we never hear from or about them again, but it's not like it would have to be an existential threat to the Federation for the stakes to be sufficiently high and also not rise to the level of necessarily getting a reference or plot in the future.

Cardassian first contact has likely already happened since their name's already shown up on star charts and on Uhura's PADD. Though I'm kind of glad they didn't make it the Cardassians.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

Tholians could be cool but you'd always have to be dealing with the temperature poo poo.

Maybe the Tholians would use some other species as battle thralls?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's funny (and refreshing!) to see "hell yeah the ending of Survivors owns" after years of goons being all "uhhhhhh HEH what do you mean the feds don't have laws against genocide??? :smuggo:"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah part of it is "how the hell do you pass sentence on a superbeing that, if provoked, could just will your entire civilization out of existence" but I think also a subtler part of it is that Uxbridge didn't do it consciously. He basically got really angry and wished the Husnock were all dead and then when he looked up he realized it happened. How do you judge the equivalent of murder:manslaughter::genocide:???

BonHair posted:

He didn't really do a genocide in the sense that he just retconned them out of existence, or at least that's what I remember. But I guess there should be some temporal directives for that...

Also he's pretty down with being punished, so just copping out saying he's too powerful would cheapen his remorse I think.

I don't think it was temporal in nature, he just willed them all dead/gone and it happened.

Also for an (effectively) omnipotent being, who eschewed consciously doing violence to anything and had even 'set aside' his powers while he was in love with a mortal, what greater punishment is there than "sit here on this planet, by yourself, forever, and think about the evil you committed"? I mean I guess you could say "oh and you don't get to have your wife-facsimile to keep you company" but again A) how do you enforce that and B) isn't it better for everyone that he remain stable and never get angry again?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's not quite everything; the Halkans were still good.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, you have 22 episode seasons with episodes coming out weekly.

Most of the old Trek seasons were 26 episodes each.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How many security breaches in Star Trek could be solved by simply installing a camera in sensitive areas, like Engineering and Transporter Rooms? There's more than once in TOS where someone just strides right into areas and no one's there to stop them.

yeah drat if only they had like a flight recorder that took visual footage in the engineering compartment

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

My understanding is that the Year of Hell wouldn't have been that the episode Year of Hell would be stretched over the whole season, but rather that the episode would've taken place over a shorter amount of time, Voyager would've stayed wrecked at the end and that they'd be struggling against lots of stuff they could barely handle all season for the episodic stuff, with the whole season being a hellish year. Berman rejected it because he didn't want them to mess with the formula.

In retrospect I think it might have worked to end the season with the episode where the Hirogen took over Voyager and converted much of it into holodecks used for fighting wargames all day every day, and then the bargain at the end becomes "okay fine we'll teach you how to build holodecks of your own if you let us use your shipyard and resources to repair our wrecked-as-gently caress ship" which allows for the ship to be (mostly?) restored for the next season.

But that's really much easier to say with hindsight, and at the time I can totally understand the producers feeling reticence to the notion that we're just going to completely trash the ship; at least some of the audience is going to question whether even Our Heroes are really capable of completely rebuilding a starship by themselves, even given yard facilities to work with. At what point are you basically committing the show to either replacing the ship with something built in the Delta Quadrant, giving up on getting home, or waving a wand to magically restore Voyager to specs?

EDIT: admittedly it's rich for me to say "waving a wand to magically restore Voyager" when that's basically what happened in the actual Year of Hell episode, but it's a decision that's going to get criticized regardless of whether it comes off of the end of an episode or the end of a season

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 10, 2023

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr.Radar posted:

The Naked Now: Didn't Gene Roddenbery not want to tie TNG to TOS too tightly? Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to redo a TOS episode as the second broadcast episode of the series then.

They'd hosed around in pre-production and didn't have enough shootable scripts ready on time, so "bang out a fast adaptation of a TOS episode" was the solution.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sash! posted:

Eons ago in this very thread, someone said something to the effect of the "if I was captain, my ship would be full of holoemitters and if someone boarded, I'd just say 'computer, bees.'"

My security system would constantly be doing a combadge headcount. Anyone found without a combadge or authorized tag would be biometrically compared with ship crew, Starfleet records, and boarding authorization. Persons falling into one of these groups would be beamed to an agony booth. All others would simply be taken into the transporter buffer and harmlessly erased.

lol look at this guy who trusts software

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
When did Trek fans start using the term 'canon'? Back in 70s fanzines arguing about the validity of TAS? 80s Usenet posts griping about TNG? 90s BBSs?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah, I knew that, just wondering when it worked its way into Trek fans' discourse.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MuddyFunster posted:

Rascals. OH JOY, CHILD ACTORS ALL OVER THE PLACE. Look at them, getting in behind the walls and chewing on cables and dabbing and whatever else it is that the yoof are into right now. You know what, this episode is very stupid, but very cute and funny enough. When babby Picard started talking it set me off immediately and becomes no less amusing the longer the episode goes on, because the kid kinda nails him? Pretty obvious kiddie Guinan is dubbed, but grownup Guinan's scene at the end with teensy Ro was sweet. Of course, the 1000 odd crew of the Enterprise getting full on Die-Hard-ed by five Ferengi (still worthless), that's where it puts a toe across the line between "stupid and cute" to "insulting your intelligence". Best part of the whole thing was O'Brien watching his now kiddified wife struggling to get something off a high shelf with an expression on his face that reads for all the world like; "For fucks SAKE."

Rascals is a good concept undermined by the show's refusal to really commit to the premise one way or the other. It could have been a great comedy episode with touches of drama, or it could have taken a hard look at "actually, what would it mean to suddenly have the body of a child again, with all of the disruptions to your personal and professional relationships that that would cause" with touches of levity, but instead it tries to shoot down the middle and winds up being mediocre at both.

Doesn't help that the writer that got the script assignment for it hated the entire premise.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Birthright is a really boring two parter where we get to see Worf getting ready to bang a teenager and then instantly dropping her when he sees she’s got sharp ears

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Der Kyhe posted:

But then it would be ideologically impossible for Federation to ally with such an empire, at least outside something like Dominion war where all enemies of my enemy are my friends.

So we get this maybe yes, maybe not-approach with "great houses manage their systems differently but the leaders are OKish. Usually."

My Doylist response is that I don't think the really early TNG staff (preproduction through second season) really thought much about what the Klingon society was like in the 24th century, and how and why that would differ so much from the 23rd century that they would join the Federation.

I further suspect that some of the writers who came later kind of resented the notion of the Klingons changing to that extent, first retconning Klingon membership in the Federation into a more distinct partnership/alliance between the two, then later having the Klingons be very much "raaaagh we're conquerers damnit! :black101:"

My Watsonian response is that perhaps most/all of those conquests happened prior to the alliance, and by the time the alliance was formalized, the Klingons were amenable to a deal along the lines of "you'll get a shitload of material assistance from us in addition to the whole defense pact thing, in exchange for no more wars of aggression against your neighbors."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mllaneza posted:

Season 3 has its moments.

Maybe skip the very last episode though...

Much as I hate the underlying conceit of the episode, I can't argue for someone to skip it, simply on the basis that it has Shatner going all-out

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
post-9/11 media casting the terrorists as an existential threat to civilization is so fuckin' cringe

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Paradoxish posted:

For me it's because DS9's usage of the holodeck feels relatively unpretentious. It's video games and sex and it doesn't pretend to be anything else. VOY and TNG both went out of their way to make holodeck past times feel like some weird combination of sophisticated, quirky, and just downright bizarre and it never really worked for me.

There's no way DS9 gets to put its nose up about holodeck/holosuite stuff when it spent so much time with Vic Fontaine.

oh god i can already hear the clattering of keyboards from people rushing to defend a vegas crooner's honor

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
God I wasn't even trying to speak against Vic Fontaine I just think it's ridiculous to put your nose up at Picard playing Dixon Hill, or the Voyager crew running Fair Haven, as being weird/quaint/twee when the DS9 crew couldn't get enough of a 50s Vegas casino.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MuddyFunster posted:

Gates McFadden's only directing credit? I can't imagine why!

Is this in reference to the actual directing of the episode, or the writing? Because you know that, at least on Trek, TV directors don't really have input on scripts, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

Yeah well that was before the Dominion killed seven billion federation citizens

how the gently caress did they do that, were they just carpet-bombing random planets?!