Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hello new thread you smell like you’ve just been cleaned of accumulated baryon particles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i appreciate that on the delta flyers garrett wang and robert duncan mcneill are very much being like "okay, yeah, it was the 1990s and we were learning but WOW this show is racist and tom paris is a goddamn creep"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
this is my one post for this thread about nearly dying in the icu and being very strongly convinced on ketamine that the theme song to enterprise contained the secrets to everything and texting my mother a lot telling her to listen to it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

holefoods posted:

that may be the most convincing argument against drugs I’ve ever seen

i'll tell you what i wouldn't have had that idea if i had been cortically stimulated!!!

@BioEnchanted: I don't want to spoil it in case you or others haven't seen it, but Babylon 5 has the best "trapped in a crisis situation and laughing moment" with G'Kar in the elevator.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

That's the thing about being on ketamine in the ICU: you don't really get the choice in the matter. I was convinced that I was jumping into a different reality every time I went to sleep and woke up like I was on Sliders or something and that someone had stolen one of my Let's Play as was updating it without my permission while I was incapacitated when it happened to me.

Hospital drugs are a loving mind-rending trip, I'll tell you what

luckily i was mostly okay, i just needed to be kept calm while i was on the vent. i just sent some weird messages and stuff like the enterprise theme song thing, i knew where i was and what was going on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

"Keiko's a bitch" has been a part of Trek threads here and on the Internet in general since time eternal, and it's exhausting and misogynistic and I would die a happy man if it never arose again.

God forbid a woman actually express her emotions, needs and wishes to her husband. DS9 is not especially great in that regard.

if steven crowder wrote ds9 their relationship would be perfect and she'd never complain

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

I haven't seen the episode yet, but Keiko refusing to eat Irish food doesn't really bother me at all. I'm also weird about being forced to eat food myself, and while I respect when other people are flexible, it's just not something I'm very good at.

Again, pulling from my own experiences, my wife is Taiwanese and while there are Taiwanese dishes that I like, there are some I will outright refuse to eat.

It’s a TNG episode (“The Wounded,” specifically). O’Brien suggests corned beef and colcannon or something similarly totally Irish and Keiko just completely shuts him down and refuses to try it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
As someone who is that messy, you don't know how it happens yourself. It just does. You were wearing your top and then you took it off to go to sleep and yep okay it's in the bathtub for some reason.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Wait, you were all getting paid?

I got paid in something called “exposure.” I think it’s the antimatter equivalent to gold-pressed latinum.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

And then there's the tiny slice of the VOY fandom for whom it's legitimately their favorite episode.

We don’t talk about them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's a really fun detail in "State of Flux," when they're planning to get the Federation console back from the Kazon. Torres says her plan will take until tomorrow, and Janeway in turn gives her until the end of the day. Torres goes "No, Captain, when I say I need until tomorrow, I mean it. I don't exaggerate." Janeway gives her until tomorrow as requested.

Then when the timing element gets tighter and Janeway starts asking Torres how long it'll be, Torres is already ready to go, and then the extraction goes off perfectly and incredibly quickly - because Torres had that time to run the simulations and make sure she was doing it right. It's a direct repudiation of the "miracle worker" poo poo from Scotty and LaForge, and an excellent bit of character building.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moai Ou posted:

I've been getting an itch to do a big Trek rewatch recently, and since I like things to be as drawn out as possible, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for any watch-along podcasts. I know Nextlander's Watchcast recently wrapped up the first season of TOS, but wondered if there's anything in the vein of A More Civilized Age for any of the classic series.

I think this got lost.

I'm really liking the Delta Flyers (hosted by the actors for Paris and Kim) as watchalong for Voyager. The Seventh Rule is hosted by Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko) and was also hosted by Aron Eisenberg (Nog) until his death (but I haven't heard it myself so I don't know how good it is). I believe the go-to for TNG is the Greatest Generation, there's no actor-hosted one. For ENT, I don't think Shuttlepod One is a dedicated watchalong podcast, but it is run by Reed and Trip's actors and apparently has a must-listen episode about the titular Shuttlepod One TV episode.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

What the hell is that ship supposed to be

it's star fleet battles look away before it melts your mind

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
People’s Most Beautiful Man In The World 1997 is entitled to a bit of himbo ditziness, imo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

Plus he's probably high. He's like the third highest person in Star Trek history.

On most of these Robert Duncan McNeill sounds WAY higher.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

That’s one of the ways bow ties used to be worn, yes. The bow tuck. Sometimes you still see it.

like in your avatar

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I have like 8 episodes of TNG and I'm actually kinda sad about it, the show has been a nice companion for getting through the NFL offseason doldrums that I always dread.

Anyway, the natural choice would be to jump right into DS9, but I do want to ask if there might be any benefit to watching DS9 and Voyager side by side instead of just one after the other. Did they have a lot of crossover? I know they partially aired at the same time so most fans at the time would've been watching both, at least for a few years there.

they have no crossover, due to voyager's whole being in the delta quadrant thing - quark and his bar and ds9 are where voyager leaves from in the first episode, but that's it. technically if you want to get literally every detail about the maquis you should watch ds9's "the maquis" two-parter, but really "journey's end" and "preemptive strike" in tng are meant to give you plenty to just jump right into voyager.

later on there's some tng characters who make reappearances in voyager - mostly barclay, and also a little troi.

e: it should be noted they couldn't even pull off the little crossover bit of voyager's origins correctly. chakotay was SUPPOSED to be from the planet in journey's end, but they bobbled that. robert duncan mcneill was supposed to be continuing nick locarno (from "the first duty") but that got deep-sixed, likely for royalty reasons. voyager ends up being this puzzle piece that's supposed to fit in with that tng s7/ds9 s2 context and just doesn't quite fit.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 5, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

...And today I learned that the official Germanese dub didn't get the memo and gave Morn an actual line that was implied but unheard in the original version.

germanese? is that what stefani germanotta speaks natively?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Knormal posted:

Opened the link, saw the Borg cube, sighed.

To be fair the borg would fit the enemy super weapon kind of thing that’s in Stellaris pretty well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Whenever Picard is not on screen everyone should be asking "where is Picard"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picardy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

oh poo poo, when did that happen? is Morn a "Honk Shooooo, Honk Shooooo," or a "Honk Mimimimimimimi, Honk Mimimimimimimi"

morn is a "COMMAND CODE PICARD FIVE SEVEN ALPHA FIVE NINE DELTA TWO BETA..." snorer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

I'm (surprisingly) complaining about spoilers because I'm catching my wife up on classic Trek before we watch from Picard on together. We're on Enterprise now (just watched A Night in the Infirmary lololol) and obviously just skipped Voyager entirely

Skipping Voyager before watching Picard is a…choice. Are you going to skip Nemesis too?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

I didn't skip poo poo, I just elected to not show that filth to my wife.

eta: I saw Nemesis in theaters lol

i mean that's the thing is like i can understand not wanting to watch bad things again (but voyager is good) but you are gonna be dropping a bunch of characters and stuff she doesn't know on her

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's nothing wrong with watching any episode of Star Trek. Some are great, some are good, some are bad, some are terrible. The only reason I objected is because it seemed like the OP had a goal (watching Picard with their SO) and Voyager, from what I've read/heard about Picard, is pretty relevant in setting that goal up.

Not watching Voyager is fine, although I do think only watching the first five minutes of "Caretaker" is a mistake since the show is intentionally feeding you a bunch of redshirts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

She had a visceral dislike of both Janeway and Paris, so eh. She loves the character of Picard, so she's excited for it no matter what, and I'm excited for SNW after. I'm watching Enterprise for the first time with her and was also impressed with the repair station episode

Having watched it this last month, you’re supposed to dislike Paris in the first five minutes is the thing. Like he’s got the literal central character arc Caretaker is built around, culminating in him actually showing some well, care, by going back for Chakotay in the staircase out.

e: and Janeway also comes off a bit weird until you get that scene where she promises Tuvok she WILL get him home.

If I watched the first five minutes of TNG I’d be pretty put off by some of the characterization too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

it does evolve, i'm not really sure what you're expecting but quark and odo eventually respect each other. it turns into sort of a version of the bones/spock relationship dynamic

without spoiling it, londo and g'kar end up in a very different place than where they started in many, many ways

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Goddamn "The '37s" is good. I understand why they held over the episodes for the beginning of the second season (the airing dates make it pretty clear), but that as a two-parter would have been a perfect ending to s1 of Voyager, just like they'd originally planned. Janeway quavering in the cargo hold and then Tuvok's "Captain on the bridge." as the next line is a+ poo poo.

Kind of parallels New Caprica, in form and then showing you the disparity in themes and mood.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 12, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zaroff posted:

From a UK perspective, it’s strange not thinking of The 37’s as the Season 1 finale - those final 4 episodes were released on VHS as part of Season 1, and when it was broadcast on the BBC they treated them as Season 1 (I think they went straight on to Season 2, but maintained the order).

Yeah, it confused me too, but looking at the first airing dates makes it make sense - Voyager started airing mid-season (in US terms) and would have gone unusually late if those four had been included in Season 1. Instead they pushed them back to start on Season 2, and by doing that put Voyager back on a standard US season schedule from about October to April. I'm sure all the reshoots and production messes didn't help (I'm still amused they did a WEEK of reshoots just because they had Mulgrew's hair done wrong when she replaced Bujold.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

What about the incredible cities though

I thought that was an obvious casualty of putting it down to one episode and making it fit that format. I imagine in a two-parter the slaver abductor aliens who took the 37s would have come back as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Payndz posted:

What a bizarre way of rounding off a thoroughly positive review. Saying effectively "If SNW disappeared from canon, nothing of value would be lost" sounds incredibly negative and dismissive.

I think it’s the exact opposite of that - SNW is so good it’s worth keeping going even if it doesn’t match up with canon. The end result is worth torpedoing canon for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

As long as it was consistent with what had been portrayed about the characters and world in previous episodes of B5, which allowed him to build on previously told stories

...now what's the term for that?

Missile, I think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, Bashir is a bad example as a combo of lucky writing and Siddig being an actor who grew substantially while on the show (DS9 is like his second screen credit) means his character is actually fairly consistent.

I feel so bad for him (Alexander Siddig), because as far as I can tell right after DS9 ended he got basically railroaded into an endless run of "Terrorist #2" roles because of post-9/11 islamophobia poo poo. It sucks, he deserves much better than that.

edit: looking at his wikipedia page he's had some arcs and recurring roles on stuff like GoT, so it's not all Terrorist #2. Still deserves better, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

He was good in Syriana. That one is obviously related to the War on Terror roles, but he was at least a major role in that and not "terrorist #2."

Yeah I saw a clip of some cop show or something where he was like a local Islamic cultural leader trying to convince a kid not to radicalize, which looked at least a bit interesting. Again, still related, but at least a named character.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

on some reflection the opening to voyager is a bit weird- they sacrifice their chances of going home in order to save the ocampan folks, and then after this heroic undertaking they... leave them trapped underground with 5 years of energy left before apocalypse and then gtfo out of there without so much as a word?

prime directive bitch

like basically janeway's whole thing is that she can't make things any worse, so she destroys the array so the kazon don't get it. means she can't do any more to help the ocampans, but like she says to the caretaker, they've got to grow up sometime.

voyager probably ended up making things better for them in the end by leaving the kazon a splat on the shields as they zoom away at top speed, anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
HAIR pasta? really neelix?!

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Alfarian_hair_pasta

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
despite their name being BOTHA DEEZ NUTS, the alien race in persistence of vision were very creepy + good, shame they never showed up again

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I'm genuinely baffled that Paradox hasn't released a World Of Darkness game based off of Crusader Kings. There's a super popular mod for that and they own the WoD IP.

If you’re not aware basically the entire IP has been in various stages of flaming garbage pile for years ranging from “sexual abuser writes a visual novel where he attacks his critics” to “literally caused an international diplomatic incident with Chechnya”.

Bloodlines 2 is on what its second? third? dev team. Paradox wants to see some eggs in that basket actually hatch before adding any more.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
“Tattoo” is trash. Hey Michael Piller ancient aliens theories are racism. Thanks for making me sit through 30 minutes of that to get the funny parts Robert Picardo came up with where he gives himself the flu.

Thankfully “Cold Fire” is next, I haven’t seen it since original airing, and I KNOW it has some great acting in it since it’s stuck in my head for almost thirty years. “Mercy! Mercy.” Indeed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

People always select from the ones that are interesting enough to be memorable. They forget much of the bland pablum they've choked down.

Tattoo and The Outcast are bad in the sense of being genuinely offensive, not just bad or boring. It’s the absolute worst level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Knormal posted:

My vote for worst Voyager episode goes to the one where Janeway's ancestor hangs out in the midwest on New Year's Eve 1999. Just absolutely a bunch of nothing.

Nope. 11:59 is top 10, if not top 5, in the entire series (Voyager, not Star Trek overall). Star Trek on Earth, right now, right here. It’s great.