Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Amusing timing as I'm watching DS9 now myself, just watched the Holodeck episode with Secret Agent Bashir. That was fun. Particularly Garak's responses to Bashir's fetishized version of his day job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of like Eddison in Deep Space 9, the mid-series Security Chief for the Federation (alongside Odo as chief of Bajoran security), because he's just there as some guy. No major subplots so far or drama, he just does his job and goes home. It's an amusing contrast to everyone else having some kind of major personal stakes in every situation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just seen the episode where (mid-season 4 spoilers) Dukat and Kira trade a cardassian freighter for a Klingon Bird of Prey which was a fun one. I like that it's basically her teaching him how to stop following the blueprint and start building ships made entirely of guns with one engine to let it move.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

TBH on the Cardassians it always seems kind of lazy when sci-fi uses lizard people as villains because of the associated stigma with being literally cold blooded. Cold blood doesn't mean your evil, it just means you can't regulate your own body temperature. I'd like to see a sci-fi series with lizard people where rather than using that cliche, they just spend their time in comfy sweaters or with other outfits that help regulate their temperature, or having them just acting like lizards. It would be cute to have a heatwave episode where a bunch of humanoid lizards are just basking on the promenade to store heat because they know when it's over the station will be a bit colder than they'd like.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the mid-show episode with Benjamin getting hit by a temporal blast due to an accident and Jake seeing him randomly appear and disappear throughout his life, culminating in Jake committing suicide after realising that the reason his father never stabilised was that he was dragging him along the timeline like a temporal anchor. That was a very strong episode. The Visitor

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I'm finding fun with DS9 is the recurring arc of other races dealing with the Federation, as all the more cynical ones like the Cardassians and Ferenghi both assume another shoe will drop and that the Federation are going to be two-faced, like Quark assuming that Rom will be mistreated in his role as engineer and that they'll just push the poo poo jobs onto him, only to be proven wrong as Rom's talents are noticed and appreciated - they are so personally annoyed that the Federation promises the world, and then SO frustrated when they go and deliver it.

Also the conversation between Worf and O'Brian where it's like "This space station is poo poo" "I know, isn't it great!?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think overall my favourite moments in TV shows are when characters go delirious with laughter in an otherwise stressful situation, like when Quark and the merchant are defusing the torpedo and they just start talking about the Irony.

quote:

Quark: I thought you people never sold substandard merchandise?
*Merchant looks confused*
Quark: That torpedo was supposed to explode on impact, correct? Yet we're still alive.
Merchant: Maybe I should offer him a refund (this cracks them up, and the next exchange is through caught breaths in the midst of peals of laughter).
Merchant: The funniest part is, one of these rods with disarm the torpedo, and I have no idea which one!
Quark: And if we get it wrong, WE BOTH DIE! AHAHAHA!

I also loved the bit where Dukat and Kira are in the cave together and Dukat sits on a spike, and Kira starts giggling at him trying to heal his butt, and he starts seeing the funny side especially upon realising that he's forgotten to turn the device on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also like the Prophets because whatever they are trying to do it seems that they aren't TRYING to cause problems, they just have trouble with the concept of linear time, and so make mistakes. When asked questions directly, they are surprisingly forthcoming, you just need to know how to connect with them. They're mysterious but not in the way of being total assholes, the mystery is just a lack of communication. At least so far, I am only halfway done with the series.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved their frustration in the pilot where they cannot understand that Sisko didn't understand what they meant by "But why do you exist HERE?!". Then that moment of Sisko admitting that for him at that point, his perception of time was not linear at all. It was a cool way of exploring grief and hyper-fixating on the thing that caused it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

*dukat-ishly* the prophets were completely full of poo poo

they understand linear time just fine, how else do you explain (end of series spoiler) sisko's whole arc? they basically possess his mom in order for him to be born, indicating a thorough understanding of how that would affect the future

AH! But did they understand linear time at that point, or did that happen after Sisko taught them about linear time? All time exists at once for them after all, so maybe they altered that event in the past after Sisko spoke to them in the present.

I accidentally saw the spoiler making this post, but it was worth it. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it's obvious, but my post there was a joke, making fun of how confusing things get. Or to quote both Miles' O'Brians: I hate temporal mechanics.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I heard that apparently Keiko isn't that well liked, which is weird to me because I always thought she was fine. She's very supportive (although without being a total doormat, she pushes back when Miles is being childish), and has fairly reasonable problems when they crop up. At least one of the Steve Shives video titles implies that fans don't like her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think what makes Keiko work for me is that first of all I don't tend to form those types of biases and can recognise when a protagonist is being a complete twat like in the episode where she calls him out on being a big sulky baby, but also she has episodes like when she gets back from Bajor and has a bunch of botany paperwork to go over, and she recognises that he coped with her not being around by playing videogames with Julian, and since he's been there plenty for Molly and also for her since she got back, she's like "Oh, it's fine. Don't feel obligated to hang out with us when we have nothing we want to do right now, go play videogames with Bashir." She's a pretty cool spouse all things considered.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also in her first month on the station her school got blown up by followers of Vedek Winn. I'm not surprised she's not feeling particularly welcome at that point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Having only seen about 6 episodes myself so far, her first complaint was that she's just not happy on DS9 and feels like O'Brien is putting his career first. My guess is that a lot of Star Trek nerds in the 90s hadn't really had to deal with that problem, but it hit very hard for me given that I'm an expat and it's the kind of conversation I've had to have with my wife and previous romantic partners over the last decade and a half.

She came across as entirely reasonable and even found a solution to the problem, which O'Brien was supportive of.

It seems like an entirely normal relationship to me so far.

THat's the problem, she's written realistically but a lot of nerds want an idealised relationship.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I also find amusing is whenever the Nausicaans show up because they are a bit funny. I like the running gag with their favourite game being throwing darts into each others abdomens, it's just so stupid. They're brutal, scary, but also kind of braindead and that makes them at least fun when they are around.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Huh, neat. In Shattered Mirror, Dax calls out Sisko's actions in the last mirror universe episode as not OK because he fooled her into thinking he was HER Sisko. A lot of shows especially at the time might have ignored that kind of thing. I also like that the series uses Mirror!Jennifer as an anchor point for the story, and the repercussions of her existence on the family that she never had.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 29, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't really notice that kind of thing, I find it easy enough to let myself get invested.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Eesh, The Quickening was a dark one, especially the part where Bashir and Dax inadvertently make the virus worse due to their equipment and he just hears the entire infirmary calling to him to euthanise them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just watched Body Parts, and while Narys having to have the O'Brians' baby is a bit weird, I like that it wasn't just a weird star trek accident but a deliberate choice made by all involved parties to save the life of the child in an emergency situation. Makes it feel less weird. I also loved Quark's subplot resolving with him losing all assets related to Ferenginar but realising that the entire space station was behind him, and none of the Ferengi left on DS9 actually give a poo poo about the Rules of Acquisition.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just watched the early season 5 episode that's basically a Klingon Roxanne paired with the O'Brian and Kira accidental sexual tension farce. I thought it was quite funny, especially how all the subplots resolved, two of which ended in the infirmary after incredibly rough Klingon sex Eesh, the Jake in and Bashir in a field hospital episode hits hard.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 30, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always like when a character breaks their facade, like with the primary Founder villain, the female changling who keeps showing up. She acts all high and mighty and above it all, like she's being SO clinical, but as soon as Garak asks how many of his people survived their attack on her original homeworld she just loses it on him and shows just how passionate she really is. "How many survived? They're all dead. YOU are dead. CARDASSIA IS DEAD! Does that answer your question?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that the Founders and the Prophets kind of mirror each other - one a seemingly relatively benign species that was worshipped by a nearby planet and while they don't understand these weird linear people they are willing to try and learn, and one a formerly benign species that due to constant bullying for however long it was, completely gave up on understanding Solids and decided to try to hurt as many of them as possible. They are both some kind of hivemind, they both punish via exile, and they are both from the other side of the wormhole.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something that always annoys me about messy roommate stories is when the roommate is unrealistically messy, like when Jake and Nog first move in together- at one point Nog goes to do his starfleet stuff and Jake is left alone in the room to write, and when he gets back 9 hours later there are clothes everywhere. How the hell did that happen? Jake was on the couch writing all day, he didn't even change his clothes since Nog left. Also somehow his pants found a way into the replicator, he could only have done that on purpose to annoy Nog, which is why I feel that the irony of their relationship is at first Nog seeming to be a bad influence on Jake, but it turning out that Jake is the toxic one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved Sisko's reaction to being (for the Uniform)outwitted by the ex-security officer. "He's not a shapeshifter, he hasn't got 700 years of life experience, he isn't a wormhole alien, HE'S JUST A MAN! And he BEAT ME!"

I also loved the exchange where Quark is complaining about if the Dominion take the station:

Quark: I'll be ruined... the Gem Hadar don't eat, don't drink and don't have sex. The FOUNDERS don't eat, don't drink and don't have sex...
Dukat's Daughter: Maybe the Vorta will be gluttinous alcoholic sex-maniacs?
Quark: I never thought of that...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also the casting of the Vorta is perfect. They are so insufferably smug, they have the most punchable faces in the universe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hogoth the Arms dealer owns, he's just devouring the scenery in every scene he's in like a bulimic langolier. Also "Why is the baby in the Pit?" is such a funny scene, with more and more people coming over to stare at the baby in the maintenance recess.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 31, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Khanstant posted:

What's the largest artificially habitable structure in Trek?

The Dyson Sphere in TNG that only appears in one episode, probably.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow, the Death of Legate Gamor was a very sad episode. The only one to get me actually crying.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like the irony with that character though - if it weren't for the Cardassians trying to be assholes to both of them, neither character would have come as far as they had, but because they forced them into a room together and fooled one of them into thinking they were father and daughter, it forged a bond that has united Cardassia's underground and Bajor in a way that would never have happened before. She helped him escape and get to safety, and in return he's given her immense amounts of intelligence, all because Cardassia were trying to destroy both.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's one episode of TNG where they randomly come across one that's implied to be thousands of years old and built by super-advanced peope, and never mention it again. I also love how the series uses Rom's vocalisations, like when his girlfriend's about to leave with the doctor and she's just like "Is it just me or can you hear that too?" and in the background you just hear "aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" as rom gets closer and closer trying to stop them so that he can declare his love.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 31, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the episode where Qwark goes into business with Gayla and gets wracked with guilt in the process. I particularly liked Sisko's line "I may not be able to get you on arms dealing, but if you so much as litter on the promenade, I'll nail you to the wall."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Awww, Nog calling Lita "Moogie" :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alexander is much more likeable in TNG than DS9. His whole "Destined to become a politician and unite the houses" was way more interesting than the mess that he starts out as in DS9.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like when it implies that Weyoun has hobbies outside the dominion, like at the end of the baseball card episode where he adopts the mad scientist and starts helping him with his dumb idea for "Keeping the cells entertained".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm enjoying Gul Dukat's severe slide from initial friendly narcissism to full blown NPD with a hint of schizophrenia since the situation with Zial. He went from dangerous due to a lack of empathy and ability to justify any action, to dangerous because he's falling into hallucinations and letting a mania take over his judgement. That's how I read him anyway, as someone who genuinely thought of Sisko as an old friend and thought he could have had a chance with Kira if only he could make them see things from his point of view, but being unable to reconcile his opinion of himself with other people's perceptions of his actions. The difference between "You were still a murderous despot who killed a lot of people" and "But I killed LESS people than the previous guys would have!". I like that you can see his faulty logic too, he may have tried to make the occupation less uncomfortable, but he still lacked empathy for the people and a basic level of respect for them, and was unwilling to leave his comfort zone and stick his neck out for them in any real way because he still wanted to be IN CHARGE of them. But you can see why HE would think of himself as a heroic figure within the bounds of being a complete narcissist.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also the Morn running gag is great in DS9. Love the most popular person on the station, chatty friend to all who is always the life of the party, but always just appears on screen like (:<()

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm onto Far Beyond the Stars. It's always fun to play "Which period character is which actor sans the usual makeup." Took a while to recognise the guy handing out drawings because I recognised the voice but without the Klingon makeup General Martok was unrecognisable to me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the irony with the Gem Hadar in the episode with the crew in the tiny ship - their credo is "Obedience is Victory, Victory is Life" but one of the previous generation Gem Hadar notices that their superior officer is making bad calls, and when he tries to advise him he gets shouted down with "No, I am the first, you are the second, do as I say". This attitude allows them to lose to the protagonists because he keeps obeying despite his misgivings, until they are all wiped out, and his last words are "Obedience is Victory. Victory... is... life..."

I also like that Sisko is kind of growing less stable mentally because of all the religious experiences with the prophets loving with his perception so much, on top of the stress of war. It seems DS9's central themes are of flawed perceptions, Sisko's religious experiences, Dukat's descent into scizophrenia, the Gem Hadar being raised to believe the Vorta are infallible and them being bred to see the Founders as such, the Founders cannot comprehend , or ignore, that Solids are all individual beings and so they are using the behaviour of 0.1% of the population to say "gently caress the rest", and the Prophets having a lack of empathy for the linear corporal beings and Bajorans seeing them as Gods, and similarly to the founders, the Bajorans have fallen into a trap that Kira is only just starting to break them out of, of seeing all of Cardassia as a single entity instead of a collection of people.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Did anyone here play the PS2 game Star Trek: Shattered Universe? It's about Sulu and the Excelsior getting pulled into the mirror universe, a space shooter that I could never get very far in because I'm not very good at that genre of game, but it seemed cool. I just need to learn how to play flight sims.