Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

dr_rat posted:

It should be noted that the Animated series is the only series to be officially considered cannon.

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

Consuming poison in a breakfast is... not logical.

Great OP nine-gear crow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Der Kyhe posted:

Someone in the process was, don't remember the details anymore. That's why there is so much pink and purple in places that should be light or dark brown or gray.

That was Hal Sutherland, the animation director. However, his article on Memory Alpha blames the colorist, who wasn't colorblind, just liked those colors:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Hal_Sutherland

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Eimi posted:

In the Pale Moonlight is great, but I always saw is a Sisko being the villain there. Like his speech is incredible, but to me it always was meant to be a dark moment in his life. Its shot triumphantly, but if he really could live with it, he'd have turned himself in. Certainly Admiral Leyton would be proud of what Sisko had done there.

This is part of what makes it great, imo

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

zoux posted:

Junkball’s got a new video on the Titan A today, some literal lol moments

Link that poo poo

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

They said at the end that they preferred Picard Season 3 to SNW or Lower Decks, these people are clearly Pakleds

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tighclops posted:

Cursed, dwindling fandom

We want things to make our feelings go.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pakled posted:

I'm really excited about this grand strategy ga-

Hey :mad:

I'm sorry, that was insensitive of me. What I meant to say is, I don't think they have big enough hats to make such a claim.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm extremely pissed about not getting to even see Prodigy S2. My girlfriend's kids are going to be even more so.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's probably going to come out, just not on Paramount Plus

I don't think Paramount will be willing to have Star Trek stuff appear outside their own streaming service, my bet is they go full Batwoman and zero out the data so they can write the whole season down as a loss on the merger balance sheet

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gaz-L posted:

They've literally said they're shopping it around.

Most canceled Netflix shows shop around too lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just got to the Worf episode where Bashir treats depression with ego death. What the actual gently caress.

I mean, ketamine is a dissociative being used to treat depression, it's not that weird

but also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdsjxopGVQ

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

In the first few seasons of DS9, the Cardassian Beds are a running joke, but I never understood why they couldn't just put more comfortable beds in. It seems trivial.

Adjusting the beds is seen as a sign of disloyalty to the State!

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What a great name for a class of science ships, I love that

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s tough to tell, but it really does look like the back half of a Sovereign glued to the front half of an Intrepid, which… honestly isn’t too bad.

Pretty sure those are the warp nacelles of the Inquiry class, which I hate :/

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MuddyFunster posted:

So did season 3 not redeem this show for folk round here?

I watched a piece of the first season of that and it did look pitiful. The part I caught was a ritual that ended with some Romulans doing (extremely graphic) mass suicide and self mutilation that was edited so much like a comedy scene that I was in tears of laughter. I couldn't believe it was real. Later, a mate suggested I try the third season, assuring me "It's good, they're trying make it like the TOS movies you like!" which sort of had me on board and I kinda liked it, apart from the Borg guff at the end with all the excessive ship battling which felt very much like a Russel T. Davis era Doctor Who season finale.

It did leave enough of a positive impression to lead me where I am now, watching TNG for the first time. I realised "Hey, I like those characters all together, I should probably actually see them in their prime. And that Enterprise E looks cool as gently caress."

Season 3 drove me crazy because none of our favorite characters were acting like themselves for most of it - having arguments about the very things that TNG devoted entire episodes to how one should never doing them, then doing the things that their TNG selves said not to do. Like - not relinquishing command when emotionally compromised, as Picard should have when Jack was in danger.

But the really unforgiveable part to me was the whole series mcguffin being that a woke collectivist mind virus is infecting the youth and only boomers can save us. It's hard to imagine anything less Trek. More like chuddy passion play. No thanks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

I get what you are saying about planned arcs, but shooting scripts and production issues are very different beasts. You also have the departure of Susan Ivanova (Claudia Christian) from the station which required rewriting elements of the season 5 arc and introducing a new character. I know there's no official reason for why Christian left

One of the key things to understand about the cast of B5 is that many of them were broken-down last chancers for one reason or another who J. Michael Straczynski was trying to give opportunities to. For instance, the guy who played Sinclair had to leave because his schizophrenia was becoming too bad to function. The guy who played Doctor Franklin is deaf and a lot of directors didn't want to work with a completely deaf actor. And Claudia Christian has been very public about her struggle with alcoholism and her recovery. AFAIK it was more due to that than anything else.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Trip got done so dirty. What a shame

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Given what the newer shows have been pulling and canonizing from all the novels, I’m already assuming the whole “Trip faked his death to help S31 influence the coming Romulan War” thing is implicit canon and it’s only a matter of time before Lower Decks or something references it.

He did what

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's crazy.

I'd think Trip would think S31 is too much like the people who cloned up a baby out of him and T'pol's DNA to go along with any of that.

And yeah, Trip is not someone I'd choose for that job. Better to go with a a Hawaiian xeno-anthropologist who at least knows how to pronounce mnhei'sahe ("The Romulan Way", Diane Duane)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. I’m pretty sure that for the Klingons, at least, the title was a hold over from before the great houses wrested control from the monarchy. Plus, names don’t matter even in real life. Does anyone think North Korea is actually democratic, a republic, or even “of the people”?

Oh my god this is so not true. Names do matter, extremely a lot, and that's why people misapply them. Why do corporations spend billions on branding if names don't matter? As Terry Pratchett put it, "Magic is the invocation of names." The invocation and manipulation of the meanings and semiotic associations of names is the basis of the emerging field of cognitive warfare! The goal is to undermine the meaning of those words, to change what people think those words mean.

https://www.act.nato.int/article/cognitive-warfare-strengthening-and-defending-the-mind/

Marketing, religion, magic, cognitive warfare - they're all the same thing, but people react to them very differently depending on which name you try to use and what context you use it in. They all spread by unmooring symbols from their meaning in the mind of the audience and relinking or redefining them to a concept that is better aligned with the goals of the practitioner.

For an example of how this kills, you need look only as far as the original Nazi "blood libel" of the Jews or the way transgender folk are being painted as "groomers" by the modern version. Remember when Critical Race Theory became a hot-button issue overnight? That was the result of a thinktank rear end in a top hat using controlled media platforms to redefine CRT as something other than what it is.

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1371540368714428416?s=20
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-inquiry/how-a-conservative-activist-invented-the-conflict-over-critical-race-theory

Names are powerful. Names are at the heart of everything. Names are one of the most powerful tools humanity has invented!

But every tool is also a weapon, and what you're looking at is the weaponization of names.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 13, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Khanstant posted:

Rumple fuckin stiltskin. Who is acting like names ain't important. Is their name Dummy?

extradimensional entities who should get a brane

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Angry Salami posted:

Yes, that's right, referring to the Romulan state as an 'Empire', when actually it appears to be an autocratic republic with no single head of state is exactly the same as blood libel.

Jesus loving Christ.

Huh? Read the post I quoted, maybe. I was responding to this comment about North Korea. Hell, it doesn't sound like you even read my post, from that comment. I didn't compare, or indeed mention, Star Trek.

AlternateNu posted:

Does anyone think North Korea is actually democratic, a republic, or even “of the people”?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Soul Dentist posted:

I hope you're not implying that the Nazis originated blood libel, because that skips over like a millennium of its history

No, I was trying to reference things people who aren't scholars of history would actually remember

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yep, Archer is an obvious unqualified nepotism hire

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

nine-gear crow posted:

The only bit that actually happened on screen was the Enterprise-E being a part of the fleet that ate poo poo at the end of Season 1 of Prodigy.

That must be what happened. Starfleet Command already issued a D-notice for Season 1, there must be something juicy in it!!!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Animal-Mother posted:

"I'm... not good with kids."

Compare with Season 7: "I'm a role model!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bull3964 posted:

I mean, given today's tech, it's crazy that every interaction with a 24th century computer isn't authenticated with biometrics.

Hell, by that point, display tech should be advanced enough to the point where holograms render displays completely unreadable to anyone not authorized. Little censor bars projected in front of your eyes when you try to read a display.

IIRC one of Okuda's technical manuals literally says that LCARS authenticates you by fingerprint and a few other metrics every time you touch the panel, they just never actually used that in the show

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oops. Now my girlfriend's six year old's favorite phrase, which she repeats constantly, is "Brain and brain. What is brain?"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I really hope she does it in public and breaks an unsuspecting TOS fan

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
speedsuit

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Chiapparini, crushed beneath his parmesan!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The character PStew really wanted to play all this time was Spider Jerusalem, a two-fisted journalist whose sidearm of choice made his enemies poo poo their intestines out.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Boxturret posted:

The Klingon word "Empire" translates to "a bunch of cool guys cruising around in their cool spaceships shooting rocks"

a bunch of cool guys, and their barrel(s) of bloodwine, in..

gently caress, now i want to see someone write J'Rom k'j'Rom's famous novel Three Warriors In A B'rel

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

AlternateNu posted:

Anti-Labor != Pro-Cop

have you ever read history. like ever

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
his pagh level is OVER 9000

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
he has the pagh of a creepy uncle

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I reckon you could make a pretty great 30-minute animated comedy series out of that premise

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's not the first time it's been mentioned in this thread but if you have Insurrection on DVD or have some other way of watching it with the commentary tracks, you owe it to yourself to listen to the Frakes and Sirtis track. They hit the wine early and don't stop, and it's absolutely amazing.

Seconding this, they're doing MST3K on the level of Joel and the bots

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Timby posted:

I believe it's exclusive to the Blu-ray and UHD releases.

Or you can stream the movie and open YouTube in another tab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZIknM6coM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arivia posted:

that's first contact not insurrection

my bad apparently i'm very tired