Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

*dukat-ishly* the prophets were completely full of poo poo

they understand linear time just fine, how else do you explain (end of series spoiler) sisko's whole arc? they basically possess his mom in order for him to be born, indicating a thorough understanding of how that would affect the future

the pah wraiths were imprisoned purely because they were a different color than the other wormhole aliens, the interest in bajor is primarily in order to keep people from freeing their political prisoners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The lizard people loved heat in farscape IIRC

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

What's the largest artificially habitable structure in Trek?

a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter. Can't get bigger than that

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 31, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trixie Hardcore posted:

A civilization built a Dyson Sphere around an unstable star so they had to abandon it and I would love to know the details on that engineering disaster because yikes.

:techno: it became unstable due to subspace or some poo poo, which also turned the dyson sphere inhabitants into subspace horrors. It was an iconian plot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also loving disney managed to exactly replicate a guy's homestead, including the house, exact river bend and old tree, just to get thr land for disney world

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Have any more info on this? Sounds like an interesting read.

I'll see if I can dig it up but I heard about it like 10ish years ago and google has gotten shittier over time. It might have been the original disneyland, even

What I recall is that they very much wanted a small parcel of land, and the person living on it very much liked his small little home how it was, especially the old tree and riverbend just outside his window. He wouldn't budge even for a large amount of money, and Walt decided that upping the price wouldn't work. So he roped in a few of his workers and had them try an alternate approach. They found a riverbend that matched well enough, with an old tree in just the right location, and built a copy of the guy's house, and did some landscaping to patch up the finer details. This was, apparently, enough to convince him to sell.

They had a similar person they also had to convince during disney world construction, who eventually sold after Walt Disney pulled some strings and got his football hero Paul William "Bear" Bryant to come down and talk to him personally, but I'm having trouble finding info on that too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The entire point is that nobody can actually know what he did or the Romulan alliance would have fallen apart and it would have all been for nothing. He can live with keeping it a secret because telling anybody would risk the Romulans finding out.

Which shows a pretty deep misunderstanding of their psychology.

In the spinoff stuff the Romulans find out about it and are like 'ah the Federation are finally willing to take things seriously like adults'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

:goonsay:

what spinoff stuff?

DS9 Novel "Hollow Men".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They should have put a commbadge and wheels on a potted plant and used it as a background extra.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Should have just not involved Stewart and made Picard about the rest of the cast trying to locate him for 3 seasons, and then in the finale reveal that he’s been dead for ages and/or got his soul spliced into a new cast member.

Whenever Picard is not on screen everyone should be asking "where is Picard"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm quickly turning into 'the B5 guy', but: one of the things that makes Babylon 5 work so well is that it's not tethered to canon. JMS could invent the universe with each episode because B5 was a standalone series.

As long as it was consistent with what had been portrayed about the characters and world in previous episodes of B5, which allowed him to build on previously told stories

...now what's the term for that?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

And it was the Bajoran government who brokered the release of the Bajoran prisoners in exchange for the Cardassians.

Now, this does tie into the end of season 1 where it was made clear that Cardassia is not supposed to have any more prisoners of war at all, but I don't think the Bajoran prisoners were ever called "POWs". They could have been held on criminal charges against Cardassia. The episode never actually makes it explicit if the prisoners were released or not, just that there was a 5 hour window for their arrival on DS9, presumably to swap them for the Cardassian prisoners.

Odo releasing the Cardassian prisoners may have endangered the release of the Bajorans. If the Bajorans were released in good faith before they knew that the Cardassians had been aided in an escape, this threatens relations between Bajor and Cardassia even further. Cardassia would almost certainly put pressure on the Federation, who officially administer the station, to do something, be it removing Odo or putting some kind of sanction on Bajor for the obvious deception.

Basically, it just feels like the episode left way too much of it open and unexplained. Were the prisoners freed or not? How was Cardassia fooled into thinking Odo didn't release the Cardassian prisoners? Does Cardassia protest to the Federation over both the missing prisoners and the Gul that has seemingly vanished into thin air? Is Cardassia culturally the kind of place where the dead Gul will take 100% of the blame because the operation fell apart under his command?

Like, the simplest way to have closed those loopholes would be to have had some line about how Guls operate with a high degree of autonomy and then to have given the Gul a line of dialog about how he was only instructed to bring back the two, but for his own status he wanted to bring in all three, and then Garak can report back that an incident occurred as a result of the Gul's greed and all three were escaped and the Gul killed in the struggle, safely scapegoating the Gul and protecting Odo, Quark, Sisko, and Bajor.

Or they could have gone the route they did with Gul Dukat kidnapping his rival's son where it couldn't be revealed publicly for some reason and so no one outside of the military government on Cardassia is aware that any of these events happened and Cardassia doesn't want to embarrass itself further by demanding an investigation or reparations.

Again, I can imagine these things, but they're not in the show. Maybe TNG talks more about how Guls operate within the Cardassian political framework, but DS9 does not.

Odo is a shapeshifter and the cardassian government will believe any story they hear from their trusted officers, they are very gulible

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, we've seen a mission screen that includes things like constructing an Enterprise and crewing it out if you're playing Federation.

yeah but they just replace it with the scimitar if you're playing the romulans

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyway, I don't mean to say that Dukat is moral or ethical. However, if you look at his premises (Cardassian superiority, the ends justify the means) you can understand why he does what he does. He's evil, but cold and calculating about it.
The problem is that the Cardassians weren't ambitious enough as colonizers. If they made the bajorans worship them as gods, the Federation would have bowed out and let them do their thing, even if they found out the Cardassians had forced themselves upon some Federation woman to ensure one of their pawns was in charge of the local Federation outpost.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arivia posted:

deadlock: harry kim is dead!

no, really

seriously 100% he is actually dead

"but what about the harry kim in the rest of the series"

that's the harry kim from one dimension over

i'm not making this up

That is totally wrong, the scenario is convoluted but if you trace it meticulously you'll learn that Harry Kim is the sole survivor and everyone else on Voyager died.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Oh no, not Carmen Sandiego.

she's geography now

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to nutrek's twin robot rules there is another doppleganger picard somewhere

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wait til u hear what picard did

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Like many ideas rejected for TNG, it was then used in Voyager

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arivia posted:

For who? Neither Janeway nor Chakotay is that cold.

Janeway would straight up murder a crewmember who screwed up her coffee

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah upgrading compositing is one of the cases where you're not really changing the original vision, just fixing technological mishaps

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

The opening visuals of DS9 would be more majestic if they didn't focus on an ugly fascist eyesore!

But we barely see the wormhole full of colonialist alien theocrats????

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BonHair posted:

. I look forward to the big oopsie that results in the caste system.

The wormhole aliens also have a caste system, and they exile the lower caste (the ones with red coloration) to the worst place they can imagine, Bajor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

Submarines tend to be very low-polygon in real life

Famously the Titan is now a single polygon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

This is how claims get denied. This is obviously a form of space possession. Please resubmit your paperwork in 10 business days.

There's an absurd amount of paperwork and legal precedents on that, it's about nine tenths of the law.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

"The Survivors" is definitely a low-key gem. Just getting to the point of Picard having to say "we are not qualified to be your judges, we have no law to fit your crime" is an idea I hadn't really encountered anything like before in fiction.

Imagine how this went down in the mirror universe tho

"we are not qualified to be your judges, we have no law to fit your crime... because we think it's totally cool! Welcome aboard!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's not a big spoiler, a later voyager episode mentions that on their ship the holodeck has a totally separate power supply incompatible with the rest of the ship, which is almost certainly because they designed the Voyager class a few years later, and Geordi complained about having his holoddeck power limited by thr ship's power supply in this episode.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, if someone named "Lieutenant Warcrimes" came aboard the Enterprise, La'an would be the first one lined up to armbar them into a wall and then frogmarch them directly to the brig if they ever tried to live up to their namesake.

It's pronounced Wah-ahr-crim-ehs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Worf made it to captain and was in command of the Enterprise-E for its final mission, all details of which, including the fate of the E itself have been classified by Starfleet as an excuse by the showrunners to let someone else tell the story of the E's final days in novel, comic or video game form. The E was also at Gamma Serpentis and was one of the ships that got hosed up by the Living Construct, and was presumably under Worf's command at the time as well because Picard was an admiral by that point and leading the Romulan evacuation from the USS Verity.

So basically Worf totaled the Enterprise-E twice in the span of 5 years, and the second time it happened it was so bad they loving black boxed it.

Worf altered the separation of the Enterprise to look a little bit like the original Probert art

but mostly like a giant space Bat'leth

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mando also had real sets combined with the volume, so you could have characters walk behind pillars etc

Honestly the Fighting Game Aesthetic with tiny flat interactable area and crazy poo poo in the background started before they started using the Volume, when they were greenscreening in everything around the actors

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phy posted:

I was gonna say Deanna Troi must quietly be one of history's greatest therapists, but she's had so much of her own trauma that her therapist might actually be greater

The therapist treats all patients who do not treat themselves.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they had the money for a set in a hydroponics lab she might have done more.

Would have been fun for the other sets to gradually get full of weird plants though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

They had a perfectly good botany lab when Sulu was briefly in the science department. Just copy that.

actually I'm surprised how TOS the arboretum from TNG looked

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

So Uhura's dead right? Like her memory was erased and they just taught her what she was supposed to know? That's not the same loving woman.

nah she was remembering swahili at the end, she just needed something to jog her memory

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BonHair posted:

Isn't Klingon society basically in decline because they went from having a nuanced society to focusing everything on combat and honour? I think TNG had a Klingon scientist who just wanted to do some engineering, but she kept having to deal with getting looked down on for not fighting.

Despite any canon to the contrary, I posit this as the only possible way that Klingons could have developed warp technology.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

My security system would constantly be doing a combadge headcount. Anyone found without a combadge or authorized tag would be biometrically compared with ship crew, Starfleet records, and boarding authorization. Persons falling into one of these groups would be beamed to an agony booth. All others would simply be taken into the transporter buffer and harmlessly erased.

:awesomelon: Captain, we have discovered a loophole in the admiral's security system. While there are intensive biometric scans, they are only applied to 'unknown' individuals, that is, those without a commbadge.

:techno: And individuals without a commbadge are instantly transported into the brig, no exceptions.

:ughh: I see. Number one, I believe this is your department.

:riker: All I need to do to save the Federation is seduce some hottie from the crew, scoop up the commbadge from my bedroom floor, then transport over to the ship and rip the tabs off the commanding officer?

:riker: My whole career has lead up to this moment.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

He grows another one in season 6 and they comment on it that time. I think one of them was LeVar growing it out for his wedding and the other was just for fun.

On Stargate, towards the end of the series Christopher Judge decided to gently caress with the continuity / makeup people by constantly changing his facial hair.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Picard's rationale is just so self-serving too! They're a space faring civilisation, not primitive natives and he already interfered in their affairs when he saved their lives at the start of the episode, but then he ignores any avenue that could give them a more positive (or at least informed) outcome, he's just playing god from a ivory tower and congratulating himself for his wisdom, it's contemptible.

Uhhhh also this has been the anti-Picard hour, thank you or listening

The video by the Freeman's mind guy about that episode is pretty great, and I have to wonder if the LD guys saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lQ1XIrXjls

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

V-Men posted:

I like the idea that Picard "trying to play his flute" but everyone keeps interrupting him as an elaborate masturbation joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYMykaNW6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Man, killing the borg is the smallest ethical dilemma in trek. It's a hivemind, you're just killing one guy, you kill at least one guy by accident in half the episodes.