Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

New thread for old Trek: food argument

Everyone in Trek complains about the food from the replicator except for the unfrozen people from the 20th century who all said it was amazing.

Clearly most of the people from the 24th century are spoiled.

Also Eddington was full of poo poo. "Have you ever had real food?" gently caress off with that poo poo. It's there 24th century equivalent of being into "raw water" or unpasteurized milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

V-Men posted:

Take someone you don't like and add a 0 or two to the Scoville rating of the chilis in that person's personalized chili recipe.

"Computer, create a chili recipe that can defeat Data."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

I'm (surprisingly) complaining about spoilers because I'm catching my wife up on classic Trek before we watch from Picard on together. We're on Enterprise now (just watched A Night in the Infirmary lololol) and obviously just skipped Voyager entirely

You skipped Voyager for Enterprise?

Oof.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Eimi posted:

The Beowulf episode was great though?

It's a shame that they went with Offensive Irish Village instead of Skyrim for the ship's official larp.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Oh yeah, it'd be just awful to wake up in a luxury communist paradise where all of my medical issues could be treated with a blue beam once a year, any job I did would be one I actually wanted to do instead of one I needed just to survive, and the worst "hovel" we've seen on Earth had a beautiful view, a private garden, and no neighbors for miles.

That would be terrible. 🙄

8one6
May 20, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I like the alt reading of the ep where Keiko 100% knew and was pushing for a polycule.

This is how I choose to read it. Keiko wants Kira to finally be with a man who wasn't the living embodiment of beige.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Abe Vigoda Tommy boy! Could ya spare a bit o'gold for me drinkin' habit? Hiddly hiddly ho!

8one6
May 20, 2012

By midway through Voyager's trip home Ocampa would have run out of stored energy, so either the shields failed and the Kazon stormed the place or the Ocampa just didn't do anything until it was too late. Either way I'm guessing all of them who weren't on the space station went extinct.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

What in the saucer-separating gently caress? If a holodeck hard reboots with living occupants inside, they dematerialize? That’s…an OSHA violation, at least.

Holodecks are self cleaning in almost the exact same way ovens are self cleaning. The, ahem, "sweep for baryons" is hard coded into the startup routine.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone else ever noticed that for a peaceful, cooperative organization that promotes peace and enlightenment, the Federation sure is in and wins a lot of wars and military operations?

The Federation is that old, retired gunslinger that is reluctant to use his skills but when push comes to shove will gun down entire gangs to save the town.

The Federation is surrounded on pretty much all sides by multiple flavors of violent empires. It makes perfect sense that they'd get pretty good at ending wars when almost all of their neighbors like to start poo poo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Spent the better part of a day cruising through my favorite kind of fan fiction: In-universe history book fan fiction :haw:

To say it's top shelf (especially for fanon writing) feels insane but I mean, just look at these pages:

The folks behind this should be writing on the shows.

I'm about a forth of the way through this and I'm already tired of the admirals being written as if they work for current day America. loving hack writing bullshit always treats the Federation as if it's just the USA but with space lasers.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Sonya Gomez is from Mars and has three boobs.

8one6
May 20, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, the mess hall in SNW was shot in the volume. It was a real set they put inside and basically just used it for the star field outside the windows. But for season 2 they built the bar set and intentionally didn't give it any windows, partially for production reasons.

I noticed on SNW that most of the windows just look out onto a bright loving light instead of a starfield.

I guess "slowly rotating black sheet with holes poked in it in front of a light" is lost technology.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Samuel T. Cogley is just a simple country hyperchicken from a backwater asteroid.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Watching all of Enterprise but only 10 episodes of Voyager is certainly a choice someone from the mirror universe would make. Maybe next they'll say they love all of Picard but will only watch the first season of TNG.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Taear posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who hates Far Beyond The Stars. I don't like any episode of a show that goes "Maybe it's not real??"
I probably wouldn't care at all if I'd only seen it later when I could binge it but having that episode after a week of waiting was like "ugh gently caress that"

Especially since every show at the time seemed to HAVE to have that one episode.

I don't hate it but I am extremely glad they didn't end the series on the "kid looking at a snow globe" ending that was proposed where the camera pulls out from the set and old Benny Hill is watching them film DS9.

8one6
May 20, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Apparently there was a DVD copy of Star Trek: Borg released only in Japan and someone has gotten ahold of that and ripped it and upscaled and retuned all the footage and made it playable online? https://borgremastered.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jBYkjBF8Zw

Haven't played it yet but the quality improvement looks impressive.

Well this is loving cool.

I do wish I wasn't such a goddamn nerd that I immediately noticed the Voyager era uniforms on the ship headed to Wolf 359.

8one6
May 20, 2012

No Dignity posted:

For example, when he meets his people and they invite them to join their fascist empire he says 'no' and resists them. His arc even culminates in helping to defeat them and then returning to then to teach them that fascism is not the way.

I think subtle little clues in the storytelling like this help indicate that he may not be a fascist, but rather portray a conflicted character who struggles between his inate need for order and the ethics he has learnt living in a democratic, cosmopolitan society

But acknowledging nuance like that means I can't win arguments by screaming "copaganda!!!!" at the top of my lungs.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Prophets needed the Emissary to get advice from his dad so they simply changed it so he was still alive. Frankly it's weirder that you corporeal lifeforms can't just do that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

"We would rather all die than let a single member of our species wear a condom. Every sperm is sacred Kirk."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Water is the third most common molecule in the universe (after molecular hydrogen and carbon monoxide) and can be identified from lightyears away with loving 20th century technology, let alone the magic sensors of Star Trek. The Kazon were a loving joke within minutes of their introduction.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Taear posted:

I wonder how DS9 series 7 would have been if they'd made up with Farrell and not changed her out. So many (4, 5?) episodes are dealing with Ezri as a new character and I wonder what they'd have done with that not being a thing any more

Jadzia gets to shoot the Vulcan. Other than that we'd have probably gotten completely different episodes since they wouldn't have had to introduce a brand new main character at the last minute.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Macatt posted:

During college my roommate and I marathoned all 10 movies. I'd watched a decent number of TNG episodes several years prior, but never any of the movies or TOS. We both thoroughly enjoyed every single one ... until Nemesis. Interesting to find out that it wasn't just us.

I haven't seen Picard, but was hoping it'd amend some of that film's legacy. Sounds like it doesn't?

It... It does not, no.

8one6
May 20, 2012

A less cowardly show would have kept both B'Elannas around for at least half a season.

8one6
May 20, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Got to the end of S3 of Voyager and S5 of Deep Space Nine. Voyager has a pretty cool finally with the Borg and all but Deep Space Nine's finale with the Dominion attacking DS9 and Starfleet vacating... that might have been the best season finale in the franchise. What was up with those weird eye things Dukat and Weyoun were wearing?

Jem'Hadar ships don't have view screens. Those eye things are basically personal view screens for the important people in the Dominion.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Aces High posted:

I'm confused about Quark, didn't he marry that Klingon lady for real in season 5? Why's he still hung up on Jadzia?

They also divorced at the end of the episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Voyager: The 37's. Good thing the guy they got a prison day pass or whatever also knows about 20th century automobiles.

"I've never landed a starship."

"Me neither. Maybe we should run a simulation or two Take her down."

A better show would have kept Amelia Earhart around as part of the extended cast.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I honestly didn't read it as Kirk's bully. I just thought Kirk was more racist against the Irish than he even was against the Klingons and aside from women, his number one fantasy was to beat up the Irish like it was the origins of Whacking Day.

"We'll take the Klingons and the Breen..."

8one6
May 20, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

It doesn't count when you can delete your partner when you're done.

Don't you got this poo poo though?

It's actually one of the nastier, more licorice kinds.

This is legit one of the worst sodas I've ever tasted, and I've drank ranch flavored soda on a dare.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Look at what I just found at half price books!

(it cost much more than half cover price.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's a good get. The book is pretty rare now since it has been out of print for a long time.

They had it in the locked collectables case and the guy who unlocked it asked why it was worth so much. He said they had a huge lot of Trek paperbacks come in yesterday and that was the only one their system flagged as worth more than half cover.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Thaw is one of the best episodes of Voyager. If you didn't like it you're probably not going to have a good time with the rest of the series.

8one6
May 20, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only reason anyone remembers that two-parter is Sarah Silverman and the Doctor getting his Mobile Emitter.

A better show would have kept Sarah Silverman around for a while like Farscape did with Chiana.

Also Starfleet computers are ridiculously user friendly. I bet 29th century Badgey popped up as soon as he was inside and went "Golly, it looks like we're stuck in the 20th century. Would you like some help bootstrapping the computer revolution?"

8one6 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 27, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

thotsky posted:

Huh? Chiana was in almost every episode.

She was originally supposed to just be in three episodes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Knormal posted:

It's not the device, it's the contents. Drop an iPad off at IBM HQ in 1950 they're not going to be able to do anything beyond play Candy Crush, drop off an iPad with a full offline copy of Wikipedia and the timeline's going to change.

I don't think I've seen that episode since the 90's, but that was my assumption. That Ed Begley Jr.'s office PC was going to be some iteration of the 29th century device and beyond what he'd introduced to the public.

I get your point but you're really underestimating some of the engineering wizards of the era.
A quick trip to Wikipedia says the electron microscope was developed in the 20s and 30s so that should let them figure out the basic structures on the chip. By the 1950s an engineer at IBM (or better yet Bell Labs) will have enough know how to at least tease out the basics of what's going on in the iPad. They're not going to immediately be able to replicate things like the processor or memory, but there are enough discreet bits on the motherboard that a steady hand with a soldering iron will give them plenty of examples to use the jumpstart the development of circuit boards or act as a solid road map to integrated circuit design.

8one6
May 20, 2012

If you can't figure out how it works it's a curiosity not a treasure.

8one6
May 20, 2012

V-Men posted:

If the transporter can filter out chemical or biological things, can it add them in too? Can you program the transporter to add a bunch of alcohol into people's stomachs when they transport in?

In Strange New Worlds they use a transporter to change the flavor of gum someone is chewing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Finally saw Seven's heels in the episode "One" when they were filming from less standard angles. Those can't be Starfleet standard issue.

There's nothing about Seven's standard outfit that is Starfleet standard issue.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'd be willing to bring drinks to people in the officer's lounge one or two shifts a week as long as the view from my cabin was nice. A galaxy class starship has an arboretum, 16 holodecks, probably a few dozen lounges, mess halls, cetacean ops, etc. In addition to visiting all sorts of planets.

If you're someone who likes interacting with people and don't have capitalism breathing down your neck waitstaff on a Starfleet ship probably isn't a bad gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Zaroff posted:

The only problem with Sisko saying he will be back is that it doesn’t change anything!

Kasidy is still a single mother bringing up his child, but now she has to live her life wondering if today is the day Ben comes back.

I think the only reasonable way to handle it would be her going back to their house on Bajor and finding Ben inside cooking and asking her what took so long?

That's canon as far as I'm concerned.