Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zoux posted:

My problem was that it wasn't a Highlander crossover.

And accidentally make Highlander 2 make sense?

Proceed directly to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nope they just can't see blue.

Which seems like a huge problem actually

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Eh, I can't really see red and I get by.

Presumably you are not a nefarious diplomat for an aggressive, expansionist military power who might need to be able to see concealed messages in imagery

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chakotay should have been from the Kirok planet with no explanation how or why

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Plus he's probably high. He's like the third highest person in Star Trek history.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

obviously gene is first, but who is second?

Chakotay

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah yes, :turianass:Mormons:turianass:.

Hey pal, the Expanse thread is over that way

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BioEnchanted posted:

It's fun when you realise of ALL the ferengi in the series, QUARK's the idiot. Or at least he's short sighted. Nog and Rom have the good sense to break out of their molds before their molds break them, Zek notes the wisdom of changing the laws to be fair and affect a lasting change, Rom and Zek completely recognise why the new rules are good for the Ferengi in the long run ("52% of the population have been sitting idle and will now be able to stimulate the economy" is a thing that Zek notices once Quark's mother gets him to change that rule), Brunt is the ultimate Lawful Evil in that he sees where the wind is blowing and follows it to his own comfort regardless of his actual views. Quark on the other hand is so focused on his version of Ferenginar that he's not able to notice that he's hurting himself because his staff hate him.

I also have a feeling that Quark is...look, a lot of the Ferengi Mega-Capitalism is actually the state religion. Quark is a religious fundamentalist that doesn't realize all of the other Ferengi putting their latinum into the collection box in the FCA waiting room are just going through the motions for tradition and state religion reasons more than a true belief. He's so in to it that he has no idea no one else really is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Or, put another way, he's Worf.

yes exactly that

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to think Morn didn't just have hair but a magnificent mane. Young Morn looked like Lobo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also Bajorans aren't human and live in a completely different culture with different responses to things, she obviously they're going to react differently.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The one with the automated repair station is easily one of the best episodes of Star Trek on the whole, not just Enterprise.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Dignity posted:

Marc Alaimo also believed those rationalisations too lol

From now on, I'm going to choose to believe that they didn't script what Dukat was supposed to do with the situation when his Bajoran Cult Side-Piece birthed a Cardassian and he just went with it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

Don't remember that line about headaches

Picard rolls in and he's like "I got me a headache, no big deal, but you know...headache." Crusher practically reacts like he came in with a bloody stump instead of a hand.

TNG S1 to the maxxx.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I argue that Q isn't humanity's judge, he's actually humanity's shithead defense attorney.

I've never thought of it that way but it was sort of implied that he is.

You read him as the judge, because he presents himself as one, but that's just the way he chose to present that there's a trial. He's oddly clear that it was the Continuum that's judging Humanity. They're the prosecution, jury, and judge. Q is the guy that successfully mounts the defense, by getting Picard to testify to the jury that Humanity is worthy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You've been using "they" neutrally for so long that you don't even realize that you do it.

Like you see some moron driving like an rear end in a top hat and you say "look at this idiot, they're all over the road."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I kinda prefer that. This is a superior future political system, let's not have writers throw in a lazy copy of the american political system, let's just let it be something we don't need to get into but that future experts smarter than any of us designed.

There's a problem with that: there's nothing smarter than anyone has already designed. There's not a whole lot of combinations of how to make a government work and most of them are clearly right out the window based on everything else that's been mentioned in the show (there being an explicit president rules out a parliamentary system, etc.). There's a strong central figure or there isn't. People elect representation or they don't. And so on and so on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

One must have a King or a Parliament. There is no other option. Also, this New World thing will blow over. Latest fad. Now pass me a tobacco.

You mean aside from the 2000 year old ideas of democracy and republicanism that the Enlightenment dusted off?

There's surprisingly few ways for a government to work and most of them have been tried somewhere at some point. And I'd wager most of the ones that haven't were discarded because they obviously won't work, like putting everyone's ideas in a hat and picking one at random. Although that was probably tried somewhere too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Railing Kill posted:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a time clone of yourself, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the time clone over on its back. The time clone lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

It turns out that I'm really the time clone trying to usurp the position of the Prime Me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

He's usually good and then like every season and a half the writer's room go hey what if Bashir was Dr Mengele for a minute?

I suspect his sort of medicine is more to approach it as engineering more than caring for a living thing.

A person is basically plumbing and electrical.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always wondered what would have happened if they beamed those guys over.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I don't really mind Section 31 as presented in DS9, and if you keep watching you'll see why. It's the later series portrayals that are just bad, with the possible exception of Enterprise maybe.

The idea that the Federation realized that when you're out in the jungle, sometimes you got to fight dirty makes sense. I mean, we all celebrate Sisko doing his secret cool guy living with it mission. Kinda makes sense that you'd have a team doing that sort of job on the regular.

But the whole "they're all over the place X-Files nonsense?" Naw.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Chain of command and rank are different concepts, which like most military things Trek tends to be fuzzy about. Medical people would be staff officers who are not in the main command structure but instead have their own within their field.

Plus, there's a lot of stuff that would make more sense in the naval tradition and with the scale of the crew and operation.

Picard should probably been a Rear Admiral. Riker (CO) and Data (XO) would have been captains. Geordi and Crusher captains too. Worf would be a Colonel. Then there'd probably be an overall commander of the science operations (akin to the CAG on a carrier), who is also a captain. And probably another 15 or 20 staff officers of at least commander rank. Although they probably wouldn't need some roles like public relations on the staff, but would need additional diplomatic roles. Hell, they'd probably have a CAG too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

That kind of arrangement would definitely be more realistic, but wouldn't be as easy to follow for casual viewers. They do mention department heads and lower staff now and then on TNG but yeah, it's kinda crazy that seemingly all of the ship's operations are managed by the day shift senior staff.

There's no way you could possibly have 50 regular cast members either

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I once saw a video that used Life is a Highway for Enterprise and that worked surprisingly well.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Try not to think about the shuttle Enterprise in the intro too hard. Iirc, the shuttle Enterprise was named that by NASA after star Trek fans asked for it, and they gave the name to a shuttle that was never intended to go to space. So the lineage of the Enterprise name for the NX-01 is a shuttle named after a future iteration of the starship Enterprise. Now there's some time loop poo poo there. I'd love to see an episode of SNW deal with that actually.

There's an easy sidestep: flip the name origin around. They named OV-101 after the most decorated carrier in WWII. That's who the Enterprise is named after.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arivia posted:

"I'M THE FORMER MAQUIS LEADER YOU WANNA DO MAQUIS THINGS HERE'S PUNCHING"

Sadly the only time I remember him punching was that weird boxing episode

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Janeway would have just arranged for any one that wanted to freeload to be "oh no they were accidentally eaten by space dinosaurs or something"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, technically Space Shuttle Enterprise was supposed to be space-capable in the end when it was built, but it was found out that making Atlantis was actually cheaper than refitting the Enterprise prototype up to spec.

Then later they figured out it was cheaper to build an entire Endeavor out of spare parts than cram parts into Enterprise to make it actually fly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, I'd love to see the society of poets and authors that were alluded to in DS9, before they went fash.

Turns out that those aren't exactly mutually exclusive things.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

davidspackage posted:

There's also a wheel that just gets pushed in circles while a big, deformed overseer cracks a whip at the thralls pushing it. Nobody knows what it does.

That's the thing that powers the warp core ejector. That's why warp core ejection is always off line. Ship gets hit and the slaves just get scattered all over the place.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Survivors is one I remember blowing my mind as a kid. That's one of a handful of episodes I distinctly remember watching when it first aired.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think Picard might have been better served saying that they had no way to punish him rather than no law (because I assume there's no upper limit on total death toll for hypermurder)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

But the Mirror Universe Principle of "everything is exactly the opposite, but somehow worse" probably means he made more Husnock and they're all his slave army or some poo poo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Sexy Sad Boy’s name is Lloyd Braun

OK so you know Benny Russell was in the crazy house dreaming about the Sisko? And Lloyd Braun spent some time in a mental heath facility? Do you see where I'm going here?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Does Star Trek even have climate change like that? I'm pretty sure San Francisco would look pretty different compared to what they've always shown. I don't think they're really going down the Expanse road of flooded out Baltimore.

(plus a global nuclear exchange in the mid 21st century probably had an impact on carbon emissions)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Every alien empire the Federation faces off with is wearing something huge and/or armored on top paired with black sweatpants.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Yes, Sub Rosa is absolutely in the "so bad it's good" territory, or at least "so schlocky it's good". There are quite a few bad TNG episodes that are totally dull and forgettable, but there's only one with a horny zombie grandma that shoots force lighting.

Plus a cloud tries to kill Groundskeeper Willie.

I don't like it at all and don't consider it good, but it isn't boring. I'll give it that. Stuff is happening the whole time, even if I don't like it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MuddyFunster posted:

Wait, now it's a rape ghost? YOU GUYS, COME ON

I had it built up in my head that it was a ghostly Fabio and Beverly's like "Oh, you're so sexy ghost Fabio." And they have a deep and emotional relationship, which ends sadly when she realises she can't live with all the constant spook jump scares.

I'd be reluctant to call it a rape ghost for reasons that become clear during the episode. It gets sort of complicated and blurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know what you're all talking about. Dukat was the main character. He graciously decided, through his own largesse and benevolence, not to appear in every episode. He did this knowing full well that he would never receive the recognition that he was duly deserved. He did this as it was the best way to serve Bajor Cardassia the Dominion his religious society the Kai the Pah Wraiths our collective interests.