Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

always figured replicated food was okay just a bit different and not in a great way- like it was reheated in the microwave

I always figured that it was the repetition. The food is of good quality, but once you've tried all 38 versions of mac and cheese in the replicator library you know literally exactly what you're going to get whenever you order mac and cheese, in taste, texture, arrangement, and everything else. That's perfectly fine (even good) for some people, but others will always want some real cooking for more variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

How do you feel about people from our time getting defrosted by future Starfleet? That’s an existential nightmare for me, honestly.

It depends on if it's idealistic TNG/VOY/LDS Starfleet or stupid grimdark PIC Starfleet.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

Q Who: WELL. No surprises for who guest stars here. The big surprise (for me) is the introduction of the Borg, in an episode that starts off with Ensign Cutesy McFlibertygibbets dousing Picard with hot chocolate no less. It is a pretty fantastic intro, even if honestly, I've always been of the opinion that their whole vibe in ship and costuming was "whatever scraps we've got knocking about in the effects department bins" or, to annoy my hardcore Trek loving IRL mates, "poo poo Cybermen". I have seen BoBW and First Contact (also, Picard S3, which finally convinced me I needed to try this show) so I'm not entirely unfamiliar, I just didn't realise they came in this early. That big pull out on the massive matte painting is wondrous stuff. Great sense of oncoming doom to it in that ending. Lastly, Ron Jones' score: :tviv:

The Samaritan Snare: Somebody a while back mentioned an episode where Troi is conveniently off the bridge just long enough for them to dump Geordie in the poo poo. Well, that's this one! While it has small problems (I know the Enterprise is suddenly on a time limit, but the whole Pakled thing resolves without them at least getting a "Ha, gently caress you" or any kind of rebuke), I enjoyed the quiet stuff with Picard and Wesley in the shuttle. The Pakleds themselves are so DORKY, I can't help but love them. Ensign Chococidal McManiac is back too, weirdly? Is she a low key constant recurring character like O'Brien or more a Janice Rand "just in this handful of episodes, gone and forgotten soon after"?

The Pakleds make a return in several episodes of Lower Decks, where they've stolen and scavenged so much stuff that their ships are a legitimate threat.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

His assessment of Cardassian society may also be inaccurate; in Chain of Command, Picard describes Cardassia as having some kind of peaceful and spiritual society before whatever cataclysm that led to Cardassia becoming a fascist autocracy. But Garak was raised to be proud of what Cardassian society was, even if he disagreed with some of the ways that was expressed. He is his father's son.

Some of the more interesting fanon I've seen here has Cardassia as having originally been a Bajoran colony from that nonsense with the light-sail ships that can somehow go FTL, with that history lost somewhere along the way.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

No Dignity posted:

The Vulcan science ships are not part of Starfleet, like most of the Vulcan characters we see in Starfleet have got poo poo for joining it and not staying with their own

The Lower Decks episode "wej Duj" makes a pretty good case that any Vulcans in Starfleet are, by Vulcan standards, impulsive and borderline insubordinate weirdos. It really helps make clear why exactly they're willing to put up with being surrounded by humans all the time, since humans may be annoying as hell but they're willing to accept statements like "I don't have evidence but I think it will work" or "actually, we should try this new thing".

Roadie fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 30, 2023

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Chairman posted:

tastes change, maybe like how water polo and Parisses Squares apparently displaced baseball as a major sport amongst everyone besides Sisko and a handful of weird colonists, there was a root beer renaissance in the late 2100s

Well, yeah, obviously water polo would take over, once there are holodecks you don't need to worry anymore about the animal cruelty that comes with putting the horses in the pool

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Either the Romulans never called or wrote Vulcan to say how they were, or they did and the Vulcans just never informed Starfleet or the Federation that they had some kind of ancient cousins out there. Vulcans don't tell the Federation anything.

I always thought that Vulcans had some kind of old space empire in their earlier days before Surak, but something went dramatically wrong so all of that was lost. Maybe the wastelands of their planet could be the result of some ancient war. We do know for a fact that Vulcan civilization had been going for a long while before Surak came along, even though modern Vulcans often have trouble functioning if they are unable to follow his teachings. There must have been some kind of serious poo poo to make Surak's teachings seem necessary enough that everybody signed on.

Maybe the whole deal with psychic powers was a relatively recent development that destroyed Vulcan civilization, I can definitely imagine a couple hundred Saibocks roaming around a space empire as messiahs and space wizards ending up in cataclysm. But that's more of a 40k plotline. I feel like Gallifrey in Doctor Who is also implied to have been ravaged by some kind of ancient wars in time immemorial that left all kinds of wacky ruins.

Isn't it obvious? Vulcans are augments. That's why they're so hyper-emotional by nature and need elaborate systems of self-control. Their planet is so blasted and empty because when the augments took over way back when, it was in a cataclysmic war that ruined most of the planet in a nuclear apocalypse and killed off all the non-augment population.

Edit: And the reason the Federation as a whole is so opposed to voluntary genetic modifications, rather than just Earth, is because the whole 'augments hosed up everything' pattern has repeated itself across a bunch of planets in disconcertingly similar ways. It's probably the Progenitors' fault for getting something wrong in their galactic genetic influencing program.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

...... How did Geordi see screens?

Very well, thank you.