Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

What is Star Trek?

Star Trek is a science fiction television and motion picture franchise originally created by Gene Roddenberry and a bunch of other creative people in 1966. In the nearly 60 years since then, it has spawned 11 television shows, 13 feature films, and countless books, video games, comics, and other media properties, with even more of each still on the way as of this very moment.

What defines "Classic" Trek?

This thread concerns itself with the first six Trek series spanning from 1966 to 2005 when the franchise was killed off by former UPN and CBS executive and prolific sexmonster Les Moonves.

These series are: Star Trek, Star Trek: The Animated Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, and Star Trek: Enterprise (previously just Enterprise).

For the "Modern" era of Star Trek (2017-present), starting with Star Trek: Discovery, please consult this thread here. Meanwhile, you can find the previous incarnation of the Classic Trek thread right here.

Why two threads?

Because back in the early days of Modern Trek, goons were absolutely insufferable about it and needed an entire second thread to keep their bitching contained from discussion about "actual" Star Trek. Enough time has passed between then and now and enough actual good Modern Trek shows have emerged that the division between the threads is now just one of eras, rather than assholes. As such, this thread is for reminiscing about Trek shows past or discussing rewatches, while the Modern Trek thread is for discussing the new episodes of the currently-running Star Trek shows.

Can I talk about Modern Trek here?

If you wish.

What about the movies?

Go for it. Better than making a CineD thread about them, I guess...

Tell me about each show!

Star Trek (1966-1969)
Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig and Majel Barrett

Retroactively known as The Original Series or TOS, Star Trek is the story of the five year mission of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 under the command of Captain James Kirk and his intrepid crew. The "five year mission" lasted only three years in TV time despite a massive letter writing campaign and help from Hollywood power couple Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz to rescue it from cancellation at least once. The show established virtually every convention and trope in the Star Trek universe, starting a legacy that has lasted six decades and counting. When the original series went off the air, demand for more Star Trek was so high it led to a Saturday morning animated spin-off and then an entire feature film franchise following the crew of the Enterprise; Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, The Final Frontier, and The Undiscovered Country.

Characters originally created for TOS, most notably Spock, Uhura, Kirk, Scotty, Doctor M'Benga, Nurse Chapel, and Christopher Pike, as well as Number One (Una Chin-Riley) from the unaired Star Trek pilot "The Cage" have gone on to appear in Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973-1974)
Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, and Majel Barrett

An animated spin-off to TOS continuing the voyages of the Enterprise and making use of the animated medium to explore plots and characters not possible in live action, like cat people and three armed dudes, twenty foot tall Spocks, and Literally Satan. Lasting two seasons, the series was considered non-canon for decades with the exception of the episode "The Counter-Clock Incident" which introduced the character of Robert April, the original commander of the Enterprise before Jim Kirk or Chris Pike. The Next Generation and Lower Decks would later reference more locations and story material from the series, slowly dragging it into canon bit-by-bit, and Robert April himself is a major recurring character on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Known as TAS for short, the animated series was notable for not just the entire TOS cast reprising their roles (sans Walter Koenig), but for nearly all the guest characters being voiced by either James Doohan or Nichelle Nichols. It was also the only Trek series to win a top-level, non creative arts Emmy, albeit a Daytime Emmy.

The series was produced by Filmation, the animation studio behind cartoons like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra: Princess of Power, Fat Albert and the C*sby Kids, Ghostbusters (the one with the gorilla, not Harold Ramis), and BraveStarr.

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994)
Starring: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis, Wil Wheaton, Denise Crosby, and Diana Muldaur

After the runaway success of the Star Trek films up to that point in time, a new Star Trek TV show was greenlit set 80 years in the future from TOS and starring a new crew led by Captain Jean-Luc Picard on a brand new U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D. Lasting for seven seasons, TNG as it became known, went on to set the standard, visually and tonally, for 90s TV Trek. The series was a smash hit for a syndicated television series, making it the most-watched pre-streaming Trek show by a vast margin. Following its conclusion in 1994 with "All Good Things...", TNG would go on to have a four movie feature film run: Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis.

Main cast members of TNG would later return for Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: Lower Decks, Star Trek: Prodigy, and Star Trek: Picard, particularly its third and final season.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999)
Starring: Avery Brooks, Nana Visitor, René Auberjonois, Colm Meaney, Alexander Siddig, Terry Farrel, Michael Dorn, Armin Shimerman, Cirroc Lofton, Aron Eisenberg, and Nicole de Boer

The first of two spin offs launched from TNG. Set on the newly established Federation starbase of Deep Space Nine, DS9 as it was known, was a much more gritty and conflict-driven Trek series compared to TNG. Led by Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205, the show eschewed the conventions established by TNG by mainly being set in one location and having the plot come to it instead of traveling the galaxy in search of it, and by showing actual interpersonal conflicts between characters and serialized season-spanning storylines that culminated in the Dominion War, an on-going story that spanned the final three seasons of the show.

Characters from DS9 such as Kira, Quark, Rom and Leeta would return for cameo appearances on Star Trek: Lower Decks, while Odo appears on Star Trek: Prodigy via use of archival audio.

Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001)
Starring: Kate Mulgrew, Robert Beltran, Roxann Dawson, Tim Russ, Robert Duncan McNeill, Garrett Wang, Robert Picardo, Jeri Ryan, Ethan Phillips, and Jennifer Lien

The second and final spin-off of TNG, Voyager or VOY followed the adventures of the starship U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656 under the command of Captain Kathryn Janeway as its crew navigated the treacherous Delta Quadrant on a quest to find a way back home to Earth after a wormhole encounter gone wrong. While more episodic in nature compared to DS9 in an attempt to recapture some of the magic of TNG, according to streaming data Voyager has become the most-watched classic era Star Trek show thanks to it's somewhat interchangeable episode order and lack of major changes to the status quo.

Main cast members from Voyager such as Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, Seven of Nine, Tom Paris, and The Doctor would later return in Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Prodigy, and Star Trek: Lower Decks.

Star Trek: Enterprise (2001-2005)
Starring: Scott Bakula, Jolene Blalock, Connor Trineer, John Billingsley, Dominic Keating, Linda Park and Anthony Montgomery

The final series in the Classic Trek era travels back in time nearly 100 years before Kirk's Enterprise and explores the adventures of the original starship Enterprise NX-01, launched by humanity before the founding of the Federation under the command of Captain Jonathan Archer. Originally known only as Enterprise or ENT for short, it was later renamed Star Trek: Enterprise after a third season retooling in an attempt to recover flagging ratings, but after its fourth season it was canceled by UPN--the first Trek show since TOS not to end on its own terms--and with it, the Classic Trek era came to a close.

Where can I watch Classic Trek?

Paramout is currently in the process of slowly dying a money-based death, but for now you can find all the Classic Trek series on Paramount+ (home of All* Star Trek except Prodigy) in the US and countries where Paramount+ is available. It is also available through Amazon's Prime Video service (mostly) worldwide either à la carte or linked in with a Paramount+ membership, again for now. Or on Netflix and CTV Sci Fi Channel (along with its Modern Trek counterparts, Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds AND Prodigy!) in Canada... for now.

What's this "Beej" I keep hearing about?

Lo'laHbe'! Mu'tlheghmeyraj batlhlIj!

WORTHLESS FOOL! YOU DISHONOR YOUR HOUSE!

Experience Bij!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Shimerman, not Shimmerman, drat it. :mad:

(Also, it's à la carte, as in ordering a meal or dish from a restaurant in specific, as opposed to a prix fixe meal.)

Except for Koenig.

All fixed now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

I mean yeah, you want the podcast to be interesting.

Someone needs to do a Gene Roddenberry version of The George Lucas Talk Show. That thing would be loving WILD.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also can we get a link to the previous thread edited into the OP because sometimes it's nice to go back and look up a post or something

I will add it in now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

"planty of latters lift in teh albavet" - nine-gear crow

(kidding, the op is pretty good)

This better lead to a call/response post when this thread goes off the rails of:

"Crow, blow up the goddamn thread!"

or I'm going to be very mad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

holefoods posted:

that may be the most convincing argument against drugs I’ve ever seen

That's the thing about being on ketamine in the ICU: you don't really get the choice in the matter. I was convinced that I was jumping into a different reality every time I went to sleep and woke up like I was on Sliders or something and that someone had stolen one of my Let's Play as was updating it without my permission while I was incapacitated when it happened to me.

Hospital drugs are a loving mind-rending trip, I'll tell you what

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Well that's just prime

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I love Ron Perlman but the circumstances that made Beast Wars unique were rare even in the 90's and I don't expect any movie adaptation to measure up

Chalk got to be in Stargate a little bit at least

It sucked rear end that they not only killed off his character on Stargate but they did it in a very sloppy "wait, did he actually die?" way and then he just never shows up again after that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Didn't he die when the Russian ship got blown up? I remember seeing him at a con when I was in high school he said that he learned all of his lines in Russian and then like a day before shooting they switched all of his dialogue to English

Actually now that I think about it I think he was in Star Trek as well as a Pakled

Yeah, they blew up the Korolev, the Russian BC-303 they got as part of the Stargate program and he's last seen on the bridge like immediately before it blows. And it's like "Oh, did Colonel Chekov beam out in time?" and everyone was like "I dunno :shrug:" and that's the last he's ever seen or heard from.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

"Keiko's a bitch" has been a part of Trek threads here and on the Internet in general since time eternal, and it's exhausting and misogynistic and I would die a happy man if it never arose again.

God forbid a woman actually express her emotions, needs and wishes to her husband. DS9 is not especially great in that regard.

It's the same line of thinking that permeated the BSG threads here on SA where goons thought that Ellen Tight was written the way she was because they thought Ron Moore hated his wife purely because she came across as "shrill" whenever she guested on his podcast commentaries with him despite the fact that they had an otherwise normal, healthy relationship and she seemed like an otherwise okay person.

Then again, I wouldn't expect an internet misogynist to have a non-skewed view of reality to be able to perceive of that to begin with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There are two legitimate examples: O'Brien is willing to try her traditional Japanese food, but when he tries to serve her traditional Irish food, she just refuses. Also, she got mad at O'Brien for not wanting to be intimate with her in Rascals even though there is obvious reasons he refused.

At least with the second example you could argue that the reality of the situation hadn't set in for her yet and her newly childized brain wasn't doing her any favors in that regard and if the situation were reversed she'd probably have the exact same reaction that Miles did herself. But otherwise yeah it's just "...oof." all around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Riker’s euphemism for a particularly notable fart

Correction, sir. That's blown out. :yosbutt:💨

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The one actual cast cameo was pretty good though: You call Riker on the Titan because he's the only senior officer to have met a Tkon before. And Solano once again pulls his "uWu, poor me, we can't teww Starfweet or i'll wook bad" act. And, yes it's metagaming, but it's Captain loving RIKER, there's literally no-one more trustworthy in the whole fleet to tell poo poo to.

I just watched the Riker scene on YouTube and was immediately like "Oh, wow, Solano is an INCREDIBLY lovely captain. The Tkon has possibly compromised all of Starfleet's shields and he's like 'Please don't tell Riker because he'll tell Starfleet and then everyone'll get scared', bullshit!" You tell Riker that poo poo right away because I've seen Starfleet get its lunch wrecked too many times now by lack of communication.

Something something "the first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth..."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the casting of the Vorta is perfect. They are so insufferably smug, they have the most punchable faces in the universe.

The makeup effects is what does it. They all look like really shifty lemurs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wasn't Chakotay also supposed to have been Ro's teacher at Starfleet Academy and either his defecting to the Maquis inspired her to jump ship, or vice-versa?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Voyager Minus Chakotay: the episodes are the same but Beltran and his lines are just missing

Brawnfire posted:

Me, partway through a season 6 episode: ...wait, is something different?

Human Error is just Seven exploring the joys of autoeroticism.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

If you loved the old thread you'll love the new thread. We're bringing back all your favorite posts and we're not paying any of the writers!

It's the Modern version of the Classic Trek thread. The first 30 pages suck horrible gonads and then we finally figure out how to post good around year 2 or 3 of it being around so see you all in 2025!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Move Along Home is a Season 3 TOS episode that burst out of Season 1 DS9's chest like a xenomorph infant.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Thaw isn’t bad in a good way, it’s good.

I knoooooooow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Does anyone remember the game Star Trek: Legacy? I got it for Christmas, installed it on my PC, and was very disappointed with it. Maybe I'd like it better now; I don't remember now why I was dissatisfied. This was 2006 or so.

Legacy was... not good, but there's a mod out there for it, I think it's called The Ultimate Universe, that really improved it substantially. Not enough to salvage its flaws, but it at least made the game look and feel a whole lot better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's funny, the ACTUAL Section 31 clause in the Federation charter is the sexual harassment guidelines.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

V-Men posted:

Section 31's original mandate was to make sure everyone wore regulation underwear to sleep.

Ah yes, :turianass:Mormons:turianass:.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

My favorite scene in DS9 is the mid-scene cut to

Thot Gor: *unintelligible garbage sound*

Weyoun: Ohohoho hahah you are so funny Thot Gor - oh hi Damar I didn’t see you there :smug:

I'd like to think that was the moment that Damar actually joined the Cardassian resistance and resolved to make sure every other person in that room died horribly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

Come to Quark's, Quark is Worf...

It's just Armin Shimerman in his normal Quark makeup but he's wearing a fake Klingon forehead and Worf's bandolier.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Quark should’ve been in on the going undercover as Klingons mission.

House of Quark, but Quark is just a full on Klingon for its runtime.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
How much faster would Gowron be dead on the floor in a pool of his own blood if Quark were Worf? Serious answers only,

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

"Let's set the stage for the Enterprise-G, or rather the Titan-A. Here's a recap of how we got here. Picard season one happened. Season two happened. Then season 3 begins with Picard receiving an urgent message"

Perfect summary, lmao.

Would have been better if it was "Season 1 didn't happen. Then Season 2 didn't happen. Then Season 3 beings..."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

*Taps the "classic" part of the thread title*

nine-gear crow posted:

Can I talk about Modern Trek here?

If you wish.

u wot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Picard makes Nemesis look like a drat good time.

Ehhh, I'd still rather sit through any episode of Season 1 again before Nemesis.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It's always fun when your watching a clip from something you havent' seen in years and notice an actor you didn't know at the time. I just noticed that Neal McDonough was in Star Trek: First Contact in a small speaking role.

It was so weird going back and seeing him without the bleach blond hair after like a decade of him playing Damien Dahrk in the Arrowverse.

First Contact is so good at weaving Hawk into the story in minor ways that you think he's going to become a new mainstay on the Enterprise-E because he's young, good looking, and competent. And then he just gets owned halfway through the movie and its hilarious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

Well, we at least hear from Garrovick again, eventually... :haw:

Mightly En Son of Star Flight :patriot:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

I feel so bad for him (Alexander Siddig), because as far as I can tell right after DS9 ended he got basically railroaded into an endless run of "Terrorist #2" roles because of post-9/11 islamophobia poo poo. It sucks, he deserves much better than that.

edit: looking at his wikipedia page he's had some arcs and recurring roles on stuff like GoT, so it's not all Terrorist #2. Still deserves better, though.

He got in on Game of Thrones right as it was starting to circle the toilet and his character really sucked, so no that's not a point in his favor, sadly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

My mom used to watch Boston Legal and Shatner was delightful in what I saw of it. Also seemed like half the cast was from Trek.

They also did a lot of Star Trek jokes too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZGj8JyBiNo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

All I remember from Boston Legal is how horribly mysogistic it was with it's very boomer views on women and all the Star Trek people running around in it.

It also had a revolving door cast of people just coming and going all the time to the point where they would even do fourth wall break jokes like "Wait, when did YOU start appearing in the opening credits?" I assume the Boys Club shitshow atmosphere behind and in front of the camera contributed to a lot of actors just going "gently caress this crap, I'm out" or getting fired by David E. Kelly for not "playing ball".

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 16, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's perfectly in Q's character to take Picard's girlfriend from him

Well now we know what happened to Laris :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Your mom is a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter.

Yo momma's so fat she dilates time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

Jesus christ Q is a monster in "Death Wish." His whole trickster act takes on a whole new meaning when he's belittling Captain Janeway, insulting her for her gender, and then trying to get inside her pants ALL AT ONCE. I feel a bit creeped out, honestly.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly when Q isn't playing Judge, I don't really like him very much. He's a dick and a nuisance despite how outrageous the performances are. DS9 having a single episode with him and Sisko punching him in the mouth is honestly the best way to have handled him. Good loving riddance.

Q's whole desperate horny rear end in a top hat act really only works when its playing off Picard, doesn't it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Deja Q is my overall favorite Q episode just because the humor works so drat well. But my favorite Q moment is from Tapestry. It (arguably) changed my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvUDvZ7KyU

I have no particular recollection of my first time seeing the episode; from the airdate it would have been in my junior year of high school. It certainly didn't feel like a life-changing experience. But there were so many times over the next decade or two, in both my personal and professional lives, when my first inclination was to go low-key, to hide, to play it safe. And then I would remember Q, in his ridiculous white God robe: "And he never, EVER got noticed by anyone"... and I would change my mind.

Changing my mind thanks to Q has worked out pretty well for me so far. In many ways.

This is why I argue that Q isn't humanity's judge, he's actually humanity's shithead defense attorney.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's probably going to come out, just not on Paramount Plus

Also Paramount, like, in general is probably not going to exist this time next year, let alone Paramount+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

They also should have kept original concept of the true grit space trucker Mayweather instead of hiring that cheese cake who could barely act.

I'm sure there were plenty of good looking black actors out there who could have pulled off the long haul Git-R-Dun trucker ideal. You can do both if you find the right guy.