Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
In All Good Things, in the past, the captain's chair doesn't have those flip out screens. 0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

When they said that there were 1000+ people on board the ent-d, did that include all the dolphins?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Say what you will about the Plinket reviews, but "Everyone wears earth tones because they live on a planet." is a great line.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Alexander is much more likeable in TNG than DS9. His whole "Destined to become a politician and unite the houses" was way more interesting than the mess that he starts out as in DS9.

Honestly its that and I think I remember hearing about something bad happening to one on of O'Brien's children that I'm not looking forward to in DS9.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Zaroff posted:

It’s Threshold syndrome - there’s a very dull repeated joke about how Threshold is one of the worst things committed to celluloid, whereas in reality it’s a very average Voyager episode, with a batshit insane final 10 minutes.

This is what it feels like to watch people's opinion on trek stuff sometimes lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

I've seen it happen in real time a few times now:allears:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I always forget about the part of Nemesis where they fly the tiny fighter ship through the bad guy ship's corridors.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

it does evolve, i'm not really sure what you're expecting but quark and odo eventually respect each other. it turns into sort of a version of the bones/spock relationship dynamic

but do they kiss

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

In the episode with the Exocomps they were working on some sort of laser mining array, so the technology definitely exists in the world.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I think you can just ask for the arch and that has the control panel on it, so you can access that without having the door there aswell?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Oh no, not Carmen Sandiego.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Is Sisko wearing pyjamas?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

It vanished when the time loop broke iirc

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

thotsky posted:

Odo says killing your own clone is still murder, but I guess that could be Bajoran law and not Federation law.

He just meant your own clone as in that guy made the clone himself, if someone else does it (weird cloner people/time) you have free reign.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I'm just wondering, I always had this idea in my head that when Worf was a child he accidentally killed another child while they were playing sports, is that just something I made up? Maybe I got it mixed up with that Voyager episode where the Doctor had a holo family and the daughter died doing a Klingon thing?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ah, great, thanks! Must have been one of the few DS9 episodes I managed to catch back then. I remembered it quite vividly and kept waiting for it to come up in TNG, and when it didn't I looked up the Memory Alpha page and did a quick search and when I couldn't find anything I started to doubt myself.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I really appreciated in TNG how they stuck to Alexander staying on board, sure he didn't show up all that often, but it was neat that they did that, instead of just sending him off somewhere again.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Filox posted:

Best gag that still makes me laugh:

Deana Troi, recording her personal log: My mother is aboard.

Jean-Luc Picard shown nervously peeking up and down the corridor.

And then that episode turns out to be really really sad:cry:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Timby posted:

The Borg "going to sleep" triggering a self-destruct sequence is the most gigantic rear end-pull.

You say that like the enterprise wouldn't explode in a few minutes if there weren't people there to push all those buttons:colbert:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Does anyone have that picture from when the TNG cast was announced and there was an article that had a photo of makeup test Geordi with "The new Spock?" written under it?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:emptyquote:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The only moral war crime is my war crime.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I would definitely have multiple screens for everything I was doing sometimes if I could.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cij2kF5SU1Q

I'd say looking at this comparison for this one episode the ship stuff is fine for the most part (the super thick straight line phaser shots in the original made me laugh a bit so any change to them is good) but I think I like the original Doomsday Machine more, I really like the look of the inside of its mouth and I don't know if its just my brain filling in details but it looks like the original prop has like a clear outer coating over it? It seems more interesting, crystalline almost. Also again, I don't know if its just my brain filling in details, but the conical shape of it almost looks more like perspective in the original, like it's an incredibly long thing, whereas seeing it move more in the redone effects makes it more clear its just a cone that's honestly not very large.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

but I was always of the outsider-looking-in opinion that it was a deeply unpleasant looking "beige" show.

I always just took that as people talking about the colour of the walls and upholstery in the Enterprise, not a comment about the overall look of the show. The Enterprise has a lot of beige>>TNG is a beige show.

In the era of glossy floor Trek I usually see people pining for the days of beige lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

They custom made a perfect Irish village, Janeway's going around being the muse for DaVinci, yet the Doctor wanted one holofamily and they had to mess with it because it was too unrealistic :cry:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Payndz posted:

It's very helpful that all those aliens only attack during the day shift.

we've seen what happens when they don't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

MrMojok posted:

There is no day or night and if they do adhere to US naval shifts it's absolutely brutal.

Although having Data is a real plus. They can make this loving automaton sit on the bridge for weeks at a time without any degradation in his performance. Why they even give him time off makes no real narrative sense. He doesn't need time off to relax in his quarters or care for his cat (which he never should have had in the first place)

He should be made to sit on the bridge indefinitely and the failure to do so is a blight on Starfleet Command in general and on Picard as a Captain.

Yeah and they should have tried to duplicate him and have copies on every ship doing all sorts of menial work!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

It also starts out with one of the best jokes in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuFTi_kEyJo&t=5s

"My mother is on board" cut to Picard nervously peaking around the corner.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Its really cool how they didn't go the easy way out and have their recreation just be the prop they use later, its actually completely different.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

I liked the Outrageous Okona! It was funny and the actor playing Okona had enough charisma to be interesting without overpowering everyone.

Same. Also the comedy scene is great because you have Data copying the guy and realising the holo audience is just programmed to laugh at everything and he realises it was all fake.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Code of honour also has the thing about french being a dead language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I got around to watching some more DS9 and that intro reeeeally drags, huh? I'm not one to ever skip intros, even if I'm watching multiple episodes in a row, but that I'm thinking of doing it for DS9. Like the views of the station are nice but it just feels like it takes forever in comparison to the TNG intro.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAQ7gSATyU

Looking at this, its surprising that the TNG intro is about the same length, I guess it has the Picard narration at the start and the credits proper don't begin until like a minute in. The DS9 intro does feel a bit like it's paced for the start to have a voice over maybe...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

How much of the enterprise intro is new footage? Is the ISS assembly stock footage? Then there's that shuttle launching. They also have that one shot of the phoenix from first contact before finally showing the enterprise.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

The ISS shots are all special effects. They had to be, since only the first few pieces of the station had been launched by 2001.

Yeah I was just wondering if it was something they made for the show or some render made by NASA.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I love how when the Pakled ship comes out of warp it sheds a ton of debris.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Since picard shows that the most important thing in TNG was borgborgborg, any episode not about borg is filler, thus a proper rewatch of tng should skip all the filler and just watch the borg episodes!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I just watched what was on tv, so some how I ended up seeing Star Trek TMP, and then none of the other TOS movies, and all the TNG movies multiple times.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I liked the ending of the episode where Geordi got captured by the Romulans and brainwashed ended with him getting counselling. Like it doesn't need to be an ongoing plot arc, just showing that this thing really messed him up and everyone is helping going forward is nice.

When ever a character isn't on screen, just imagine they're getting therapy for all the horrible things they've been through, constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I dislike Picard(TV) and First Contact thank you very much:colbert: