Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Maquis in general are very loving stupid and I have no sympathy for any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

In the Pale Moonlight is great, but I always saw is a Sisko being the villain there. Like his speech is incredible, but to me it always was meant to be a dark moment in his life. Its shot triumphantly, but if he really could live with it, he'd have turned himself in. Certainly Admiral Leyton would be proud of what Sisko had done there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Should have just not involved Stewart and made Picard about the rest of the cast trying to locate him for 3 seasons, and then in the finale reveal that he’s been dead for ages and/or got his soul spliced into a new cast member.

I mean when they killed Picard to put him into a robot, I thought that was an excuse to recast him as a sexy young hot guy. Instead they just made the most useless robot in the history of robotics.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

holefoods posted:

honestly everything related to them trying to get the voyager crew to have a thing in the holodeck is horrible

The Beowulf episode was great though?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean I read that quote as more damning than anything. They should've been willing to just do a proper TNG sequel instead of doing a prequel. If you want to do a prequel, guess what you have to deal with? And frankly yes our culture is too obsessed with prequels and nostalgia. It should've been a new chapter, with Anson Mount playing a new captain free of what came before. It'd be a better show for it. I might even like it then, though I'd still hate the lack of carpets and how they think uniforms need aerated shoulder pads.

But I dislike SNW overall, just not as much as the other live action new Trek's. I hate the casual attitude of the crew, I hate how the dialogue has to be quipy and schmaltzy S2's trailer is basically the worst possible example of that. I hate how they film the action with the ship zipping around like it's a fighter. There are good episodes too, I think The Elysian Kingdom is by far the stand out episode but the one with the pirates and the one with the comet were decent too. They have an incredibly charismatic cast, hopefully they can find some writers worth a drat but I don't have hope on that one.

e: Except the shot for shot stuff in Trials and Tribble-ations is great because they actually match the style of the original show. If SNW actually looked like TOS I'd cut it way more slack. I liked that Trek was always willing to say nope TOS existed, it looked that way goofyness and all. That was cool and part of the charm to me. Trying to make TOS look 'sleek and modern' loving sucks rear end.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Siddig was awesome in Kingdom of Heaven too. Which if you just saw the theatrical cut of, get the director's cut, it's essential and turns the entire movie around from crap to amazing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dukat is so much worse once they drop the rationalizations. They're what makes him such a good villain, that the entire time he believes that he's a good man and that his actions helped people.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

To be fair the kobali are kind of hosed up and his reaction to being one is justified.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

zoux posted:

Ezri's fine I guess but man I would've loved a s7 with Jadzia. The way she went out, both irl and on the show, makes it so much worse too.

It sucks. Especially because they had the perfect opportunity for her to exit the show in a really dramatic way in the same season. The episode where Worf lets the Cardassian die for her. Her dying then would've hit way harder. I also hate the Dukat Satan arc so her getting killed by him added extra injury to the insult. (Dukat should've left the show with Waltz)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Boxturret posted:

I'm just wondering, I always had this idea in my head that when Worf was a child he accidentally killed another child while they were playing sports, is that just something I made up? Maybe I got it mixed up with that Voyager episode where the Doctor had a holo family and the daughter died doing a Klingon thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hl-LVamqKM

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

THe thing that surprised me about Profit and Lace is that in retrospect it's not nearly as bad as I'd expected from it's reputation - Brunt is the only one outside the family who knows what Quark is doing, and as far as the soft-drink manufacturer is concerned the woman he's fallen in love with is a trans woman who Brunt is deadnaming like an rear end in a top hat, even after finding out about the surgeries he doesn't care who she used to be, only that in that moment she is the woman that he fell in love with. The Sluggo Cola dude is a hell of an ally. Also thought the Ferengi episode in the mirror universe was funny, the last one in the show. Just for them trolling mirror garak.

I get where you're coming from, but it doesn't feel like the angle the writers are going for. That we're meant to laugh at him basically. As a trans woman it's just an outright miserable episode and I rank it as the worst of the entire series, and that now include Picard. Okay maybe it isn't the worst episode anymore, but it's down there. the Ferengi mirror universe episode might be the only DS9 mirror episode that's okay, but the mirror universe episodes are also terrible.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's a shame she never showed up after that. It would've been better than having Quark pine for Jadzia.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The basic idea of the Ferengi as villains isn't even bad it's just all the details Gene wanted that made them complete jokes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I still think DS9's biggest mistake was that Dukat's death didn't involve a phaser beam unexpectedly blasting through him and then his body drops to reveal Kira holding a still-smoking phaser.

Personally he should've just been marooned on that planet as Sisko leaves him to die, alone for all eternity.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

ah, "the sound of his voice", an episode where recordings gul dukat made of himself ranting about the federation and ungrateful bajorans are played over subspace to a federation crew tasked with finding his shuttle. when they arrive, they find that the recordings were actually from a hologram dukat he created, but it killed him because he couldn't convince it that it wasn't the real dukat. they shut off the hologram generator and transfer its data to their ship, where a hidden virus activates, or something

i was originally just going to make a joke about dukat liking his own voice too much but eh it could be a mid-tier episode i guess

Hey beats what the writers ended up doing that would've been at least a fun episode. Also I love seeing that come up, when someone creates a double via whatever means and it wishes to become the only one in existence. A game I play a lot of had a similar turn where a a doctor of crimes against humanity creates a double of herself, and the double manages to outsmart the original implanting a desire in her to kill herself, so the electronic double is the original.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 7, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lZytCblEE

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

V-Men posted:

It's hard for me to square this away when Sisko lets the Romulans join the war on a false premise or used ecological warfare on Maquis civilians.

If Sisko didn't become a prophet, it's one thing I would have wanted the show to reflect on. I've seen it raised here, and in some ways agree with, the Romulans would've respected Starfleet more after the truth came out rather than less, but I think Sisko should've stood trial regardless. I dunno, it's a great episode, but in my mind during it Sisko is clearly the villain and doing the wrong thing. That he can live with it is him trying to escape the consequences of his actions. The Maquis however suck and did deserve it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Conscience of the King is pretty good. The Alternative Factor is awful

:hmmyes:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Boxturret posted:

I always just took that as people talking about the colour of the walls and upholstery in the Enterprise, not a comment about the overall look of the show. The Enterprise has a lot of beige>>TNG is a beige show.

In the era of glossy floor Trek I usually see people pining for the days of beige lol

I miss beige and more even lighting. All the modern treks except for Lower Decks feel like they are trying to be fancy with the lighting, whether via excessive colour correction or just having a ship where turning the lights on is illegal. I started watching the Orville recently and I'm in love with that show, and one of the things that's helped is that it's very evenly lit and beige as gently caress. It rules.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Worf's existence on TNG boils down to "Captain, I would like to solve the problem of this week's episode in thirty seconds." "Worf are you daft it's five minutes in, we have to stretch this out to 45 minutes, gently caress off."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I like Faith of the Heart, but if they just used Archer's theme for the intro it'd fit the rest of the series perfectly. And Archer's Theme is one of my fav bits of music from the series. Of the main themes as is though, gotta agree that Voyager's takes the prize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsn2xVmVuGE

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

I suppose I have to plump for TOS just out of comfort and nostalgia, but the TNG intro is getting increasingly delightful to me. I just like watching the ship go whoosh, I REALLY like the big glory shot at the end of it rising up and blasting away. If I had a complaint about it, it's that ugly detuned timpani thumping in the theme. BING! BONG!

And on the subject of themes, you all have favourites? While I love Goldsmith's TMP score and I think you'd have to be crazy not to, James Horner's stuff has my whole heart. I know he did a lot of recycling of earlier work and Search For Spock is mostly just "more of the same, with more gusto", but goddamn, there's a part near the five minute mark of "Stealing The Enterprise" that manages to better convey what Goldsmith did in his "Enterprise" theme in all of about ten seconds. The janitor watching the stolen ship take off and the music sells it like; "THIS IS A loving HUGE GIANT THING, HOLY poo poo WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT."

But again, nostalgia. I think that shot is one of my earliest movie memories. That and the end of Superman III.

For general music in the shows, TNG really suffers once they lose Ron Jones. His scores like The Borg Engaged add so much and I hate the trend for music within an episode to fade away and not be important.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I want to retract every negative thing I've ever said about Seth MacFarlane. (Mostly from the writing of the Orville but still.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Making and actually using money on a new show that is aimed towards kids and families with kids, was one of the better ideas Paramount had to increase the amount of potential new fans for the franchise.

So obviously it was the first one to get the axe, because ParamountCBSViacomWhatever is terrible at its business decisions.

Was it even popular with kids? I heard that it just got us Trekkies on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, it wasn't clear why she has to be institutionalized while Lwaxana gets to represent the Federation.

If I wanted to be generous I think she's meant to be less slutty and more like a monomaniacal fixation? They didn't really do a good job of portraying her issue whatever it was meant to be though.