Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Prophets were seriously warned by Q about giving timeline spoilers but they still have trouble with the concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Quark isn't a Worf, but he is a true believer; the kind of guy who embarrasses everyone because he bought in on the grift 100% while everyone else is mouthing along for the $. He's got his copy of the Art of the Deal enshrined above his bed and screws over his employees so that he can invest as much as possible in timeshares.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

O'Brien the most important character and Voyager the most important series

What's happened, Trek

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Arivia posted:

I think it’s the exact opposite of that - SNW is so good it’s worth keeping going even if it doesn’t match up with canon. The end result is worth torpedoing canon for.

There's no way to read it that makes it a normal thing to say, lol. Just weirdly aggressive. "This show is great! Also, gently caress those nerds, amirite?"

And like... from the start SNW has voluntarily chosen to hew extremely close to TOS canon, to the point of the season finale being Don't change anything or the FEDERATION EXPLODES!. If one likes S1, and likes S2, why do they want the show to change direction...?

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 13, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

lmao

Paramount Global has a $16 billion debt load on $25-30 billion of assets.

Leveraged finance bullshit is the absolute loving worst. Setting piles of money on fire to make everything worse since it was invented

There's this abortion of a company called Embracer group that's just a walking, talking pile of debt that's spent the last few years buying up every video game and tabletop group it can get its hands on, from Gearbox to Cryptic to Dark Horse to the freaking company for JRR Tolkien's licensing projects.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Somebody really likes these cast photos that look like they're on a completely different show.

RE: upcoming photo shoot

PLEASE send in your measurements. it is VERY IMPORTANT that everyones clothes exactly match the sofa color and the tailor WILL NOT be done on time if you don't get those measurements in!!!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

That's frontier medicine for ya

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

at least TV is finally over dumb holograms

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I love Gangster Planet

Q Continuum should've been All Gangsters, a deeper cosmic truth that Earth's foremost sage Al Capone was briefly in touch with

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

In TNG there certainly were badmirals but they were pretty isolated. The show stated on multiple occasions that there is no ends, there is only the means; the trial never ends and all that.

DS9 was obsessed with means vs ends. There's so many episodes about it beyond just Section 31. Hell, it's not just Starfleet, it was Kira, it was the Cardassians, it was a lot of stuff. They danced across that line several times a season it feels like. They didn't need Section 31 for the coup episode - doing what they have to, to save the Federation from the Dominion. And when Section 31 did roll around, they apparently operated with the sanction of the highest levels of Starfleet. That's not bad apples, that's a spoiled bunch.

I mean just compare Homecoming with Drumhead. One is an organized conspiracy to topple the Federation, the other was a roving space judge who mistook zeal for principle.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

My impression has been that civilian ships are pretty common, but a full-scale Starship like Starfleet uses is much much faster, has a large cargo capacity, and can protect itself and its cargo.

Of course you need some mad genius of an engineer and hundreds of crew just to keep the engines running...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

zoux posted:

It should be the Sheliak Corporate. I wanna see the negotiations leading up to the signing of the Treaty of Armen.

Send Lawyers, Ships, and Replicators

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

davidspackage posted:

There's also a wheel that just gets pushed in circles while a big, deformed overseer cracks a whip at the thralls pushing it. Nobody knows what it does.

....It waters the Leola root? Duh?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the only man qualified to do espionage in the strategic Romulan province, Fl'orda.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

and still it gave us the banger line of "Killing your own clone is still murder!"

Riker coughs uncomfortably.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

well, when Cardassia threatened to maybe possibly do some reforms and make life better, the Klingons invaded them

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The main issue with the volume is because it's a fairly costly technology, once you have it you use it for everything you possibly can. It eventually becomes noticeable how much of a volume show is occurring in a small circular area. And size isn't the only limitation, it's just the most obvious one; for example, you can't do anything that risks damage to the screens, since they are worth more than you are.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 20, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eh. Strong visual language has been a great advantage for Star Trek. You have to establish and keep to a rule before you can break it to good effect. If you just keep breaking it you don't have a strong visual language anymore. One-nacelle (SNW) or 3-nacelle (All Good Things) ships give a specific vibe (puddle jumper and super ship respectively) precisely because we're so accustomed to what a Starfleet ship is.

Like the whole point of the ring drive ships is showing that they are not Starfleet ships.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

MadDogMike posted:

Honestly the idea of Klingons literally being fired out of the ship for shore leave is funny enough I almost think it should be canon even if it isn't supposed to be.

like how british MPs cannot actually resign because honor so they have to be appointed to a random post they can then resign from

klingons cannot leave the ship without going on the attack. gotta get thrown out the airlock with a mekleth and a bad attitude

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I don't think Q would've improved anything. He would have just looked arbitrary and cruel - hm.

The wikipedia entry for Time Squared includes

"In 1989, Vegetarian Times thought the episode "hints at veganism", because of the scene where Riker makes scrambled eggs with real eggs, but most of his guests find the food unappetizing.[4]"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

He sensed V'ger from Vulcan in TMP

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If the Voth Tuvix a starship, does it also Tuvix the crew?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Soul Dentist posted:

Ok so I've been convinced to watch a small portion of Voyager with my wife. It's gonna be a combination big story beats, high points and hate watching, and I'm not watching more than ten episodes (not counting two parters). What changes would y'all make to this list?

1x1 Caretaker
2x15 Threshold
2x23 The Thaw
2x24 Tuvix
3x26 Scorpion
4x8 Year of Hell
5x1 Night
5x12 Bride of Chaotica
6x11 Fair Haven
6x17 Spirit Folk

I'd drop The Thaw or maybe Night and do a decent Doctor episode like Living Witness

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I just assume the Organians got tired of this poo poo and hosed off to koalaland

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Der Kyhe posted:

That is also an excellent example of Vulcans being surprisingly disinterested on doing research on anomalities and out-of-place things, considering that their entire culture basically makes science their religion.

Logically you're gonna be researching no matter where you go, so let's just stick to the (highly efficient) plan instead of being startled by the first mildly anomalous signal like a bunch of humans.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

People act like the 'Have you no sense of decency?" thing never happened. It did! McCarthy got loving owned. He got owned so hard he "Died 3 years later, a broken man."

The Drumhead isn't naive. I agree that it wouldn't happen in 2023 America, but that's because the political context has changed. The difference between then and now is the ability of the political elite to gatekeep has almost entirely collapsed. But the basic point remains: the witch hunts only happen because they are allowed to happen.

Drumhead makes the point rather directly that the judge's trials are only happening with the consent of the Federation, as represented by the admiral/observers. Picard's speech - and baiting out the judge's worst impulses - doesn't change the judge's mind. But it does convince the Federation that she - and by extension they - have gone too far, they're skidding down a slippery slope. So the Federation withdraws their consent, and that's all that's needed for the judge's world to collapse around her.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Any ship that has a bunch of murderous internal systems designed to kill attackers has an approximately 100% chance of eventually killing its own crew with them

Everyone's learned that lesson the hard way, whether it was virus, energy being, saboteur....

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Boxturret posted:

I just watched the Storyteller, and I'm kind of confused what the solution was to the whole groups threatening to go to war because the Cardassians moved a river that was a border between their two peoples plot. I was expecting another scene but then the episode was over.

Nog and Jake entrap one of the leaders into an embarrassing escapade, enabling Sisko to blackmail her.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I figure that as empires, the Klingons, Romulans and for that matter Cardassians aren't going to allowing their subjects much in the way of independent spaceflight. And raising questions about their occupied planets does indeed get pretty awkward.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ignorant p'tak! Saying 'An' emperor implies anyone could ever be comparable to Kahless!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

skasion posted:

“Masks” is missing an end reveal. I think it gets bogged down with theatrics in the build up and runs out of time to tie it together. It succeeds in being cosmic and weird but not in coming down to earth. Like, Picard figured out they were reenacting the story of a myth, okay. cool. So…why did the alien space station do that? It feels like a more aggressive version of the probe from “Inner Light”, but with those guys, you end up with a strong sense of why they would create a probe that would mind gently caress you. This thing opens a dimensional portal to myth, okay, but what for? It ends up just being a “huh, glad we got the gods out of Data” rather than telling us anything about the guys the episode was about.

Wasn't it because the Enterprise was poking at it?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IRL lots of people have been horribly injured by their jewelry, especially when doing dangerous maintenance tasks which are pretty common in say a navy ship. Starfleet uniform codes probably specifically prohibit jewelry because of one too many incidents of ensigns catching on fire or getting electrocuted or getting their jewelry haunted by space ghosts. However, I don't think Riker was being framed as being in the right for making GBS threads on Ro for it. It was just an excuse for him to yell at her and generally express his preconceived terrible opinion of her for her betrayal.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nemesis just failed to draw people in. In the (packed) theater where I watched it, someone loudly made a joke about car insurance after the ramming scene and the whole theater laughed.

These few sentences caught my eye when I was doubling check the plot summary on memory alpha.

quote:

On the Scimitar, Picard heads toward the bridge, shooting any Reman he comes across. Upon reaching the bridge, Picard destroys the door and begins firing at any and all Remans on the bridge. One Reman gets close to him; he beats the Reman with his phaser rifle,

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The logic of the Xindi test only works if they assume Earth was already gunning for them 100%, so it didn't matter if they pissed Earth off. Even then it's weak.

At least we got Bug Queen Archer out of it

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sorry Zoux, you failed to properly source an official death toll from the Federation Commission on Dominion War Aftermath and Casualties Report and therefore your post in the Something Awful Star Trek thread is actually an invalid asspull.

i propose actually 800 billion federation citizens died

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

space forums consumed by flame wars between constitution and constellation stans for who gets to be called the Connie

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Spock can also hypnotise people from across a room by staring into their eyes.

That's nothing. Spock can hypnotize fans through a TV screen

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

in the 90s it was traditional to have extremely weird opinions about 'gangs'

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

about in the middle of it. honestly, the clip cuts out the best part of Dal getting owned anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

I only learned years afterwards that the Klingons in Blood Oath were portrayed by their original actors from TOS but it’s such a neat detail.

Also when Kang showed up in the Voyager flashback! Is rad.