Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gene was on amphetamines and cocaine 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

As you watch through DS9 for the first time, remember: Odo is always naked

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm at the start of season 7, I like the stuff with Garak's claustrophobia getting worse due to his anxiety about his part in the war. Onto the baseball game episode next. Also the stuff with the return of Benny the Writer was fun, I thought he was just a one-off. I also like that Weyoun is clearly not enjoying being stuck with Damar as his primary contact after Dukat's breakdown. He's stuck with a lovely, bargain bin cardassian and he knows it.

Damar knows it too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The baseball episode is fun behind the scenes because apparently Nana Visitor was the actual worst player on the cast, she couldn't throw or catch a ball at all. Meanwhile, Rom's actor Max Grodénchik was a semi-pro player who literally could not play badly enough for the script and had to do everything left handed

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Payndz posted:

Damar also got one of the most hilariously delivered lines in all of Star Trek. "Well hellooooooooooo!" :haw:

Maybe you should talk to Worf again!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arivia posted:

later on there's some tng characters who make reappearances in voyager - mostly barclay, and also a little troi.

And also the two Ferengi who got lost in the Barzan Wormhole

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

zoux posted:

Lol that would make him so mad

It would make both of them mad. Dax would be the one to tell both of them

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The main reason DS9 is so good is that is was made at the same time as Voyager and Rick Berman was focused on that show instead

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

95% of Threshold is a perfectly average Star Trek episode but then lizard Kathy and lizard Tom hosed. If it weren't for the lizard babies at the end we would barely remember it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The real job of Starfleet Counselors is to convince people they're still themselves after temporal and transporter shenanigans

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Federation Charter is not a suicide pact. It was originally founded as basically a Space NATO of five worlds at war with the Romulans who realized they had to combine resources or get conquered. And thus, Starfleet's peaceful exploration ships have enough firepower to glass a planet.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The shows rarely ever gave us a proper demonstration of how powerful 24th century tech could be, or how superior the Federation is to most of its neighbors. One good example is The Wounded when the USS Phoenix goes rogue and shits all over the Cardassian ships trying to stop it. Or for a slightly dumber example, the Voyager episode where the Prometheus obliterates a D'Deridex.

The scene in The Die is Cast also comes to mind, where the 20-ship Romulan/Cardassian fleet bombards the planet and destroys 30% of the planetary crust in a single volley, before they find out the Dominion is the biggest shark in the water.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

That was loving hilarious.

It's an amazing scene. The moment they realize they are completely hosed.

quote:

PILOT: The first barrage has hit the surface...

TAIN: Effect?

PILOT: Thirty percent of the planetary crust destroyed on opening volley... No change in lifeform readings.

TAIN: What? That's impossible. Some of them had to be killed.

PILOT: Our sensor readings have been confirmed by three other warbirds. There has been no change in the number of life-signs on the surface.

GARAK: It's a ruse. They're using an automated transponder to send back false sensor readings. The planet's deserted.

TAIN: Colonel, signal the fleet to --

PILOT: Colonel -- there are ships coming out of the nebula.

LOVOK: What type of ships?

PILOT: Jem'Hadar fighters.

TAIN: How many?

The pilot looks at her console, then reacts in shock.

TAIN: I asked you a question.

PILOT: One hundred fifty.

There's an earlier scene in that episode where they discuss the plan, which includes this detail:

quote:

TAIN (to Garak): Our plan is to wait until we've entered orbit of the Founders' planet, then decloak and begin a massive bombardment.

LOVOK: Computer analysis indicates that the planet's crust will be destroyed within one hour, and the mantle within five.

Destroy the mantle of a planet in five hours? No problem!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You gotta hand it to the Xindi, they only got one shot at the Earth and they used it to destroy part of Florida. Respect.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Guess the 90s sitcom:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This is my "get high af" hypospray, and this is my "poo poo the bridge just called Red Alert" hypo to instantly remove the high

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MrMojok posted:

Ferengi DS9 stuff is IMO the worst of all Trek.

I’m sure that is an unpopular view, but there it is.

Except for The Magnificent Ferengi. That's one of the best.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Remember the Deep Space 9 holo communicator they used for two episodes?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Aoi posted:

Without which, the Cube doesn't get stopped later on (with him assisting in that, too), and the Federation probably gets wiped out over the course of a few years.

THE BORG IS EVERYWHERE

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 11, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arivia posted:

She didn't do it to Neelix, we have explicit proof you can get away with it.

Janeway never killed Neelix because she appreciated his skill at tormenting the rest of her crew

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Computer, show me a table.

*wooden table appears*

Make it a metal table.

*table morphs into a torture rack*

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I guess they had to work deep sea into their exploration theme but the CGI submersible 35 seconds into the ENT intro looks like poo poo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The civilian-operated Oberths we saw were at least 80 years old, they were probably surplus.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It would take so much air to pressurize that dock holy poo poo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I no longer feel sorry for them after watching the full scene

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Even Ezri was a better counselor than Troi

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

??

https://twitter.com/gineokwkoenig/status/1690075606636199936?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I’m pretty sure Walter Koenig manages his own Twitter account because sometimes there are weird posts

The man's 86, let him make jokes about dying

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Voyager has some good episodes but overall it's pretty bad, however watching Voyager gives me the warm and fuzzy Star Trek nostalgia feeling that I don't get from the new shows

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Eighties ZomCom posted:

DS9 did in fact have a counsellor. They're mentioned in the O'Brien Mind Prison episode as someone O'Brien is seeing. You just never see them.

And in season 7 the counselor was Ezri

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Captain Keogh and the Odyssey Deserved Better

whole ship got Worfed

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Disaster gave us Worf delivering a baby, which had one of the best follow-up lines years later in DS9

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

One thing to note when you see any scene with Chokotay is that they hired a Native American consultant who turned out to be a fraud and a con man

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

skasion posted:

This is a famous piece of fan lore: in this LA Times article from 1991 you can find it expressed by J. Michael Straczynski, the notable…scifi radio talk show host :hmmyes:

But I don’t know to what extent that’s actually true.

JMS is like 2 degrees of separation (or less) from all sci fi media made in the last 40 years

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Picard seasons 1 and 3 both started out good but ended badly. S2 is insanely bad throughout.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I love DS9 but Odo's transition from "cop under the occupation" to "still a cop after the occupation" is one of those sci-fi suspension of disbelief things

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd assume the wormhole aliens in the MU are basically the Pah Wraiths and that's not a door you want to knock on

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Taear posted:

I wonder how DS9 series 7 would have been if they'd made up with Farrell and not changed her out. So many (4, 5?) episodes are dealing with Ezri as a new character and I wonder what they'd have done with that not being a thing any more

I like Ezri but the episode where we meet her family is the actual worst DS9 episode so it would have been an improvement

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

dr_rat posted:

Hmm True. Maybe add a female Klingon or cardassian to the cast or something? Would of been easier to write them in to the dominion war plot stuff.

I'd say to save Ziyal and keep her on the station until the end but then we need to find another way to drive Dukat insane

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

James T Kirk worships one god and that's James T Kirk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's this one security officer who is in tons of Voyager episodes but I don't think ever gets any lines.

It's this guy- https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tarik_Ergin

outranked Harry Kim