Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It should be noted that the Animated series is the only series to be officially considered cannon.

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I like early DS9 where they don't know quite what the tone is going to be, stuff like Move Along Home is like TOS in a good way

Yeah in the first seasons it really seems like the series could of gotten quite a few different ways.

While it would be terrible, I still sort of want to see a world in which they decide yeah lets just go all in and only make Move Along Home type episodes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

Gene was on amphetamines and cocaine 24/7

I mean yeah, you want the podcast to be interesting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Timby posted:

I mean, in fairness, a BLT made with tomatoes you've just picked off your own vine is pretty akin to a religious experience.

There's likely literally thousands of other worlds who could of done farming on. Hell even on earth which you would expect to be far more crowded than most places Picards family still have a massive vineyard.

Eddington was just looking for an excuses to be a jerk he wanted to be.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cross-Section posted:

Ideally you could program in an algorithm to subtly change food consistency and temperature but dammit the head of astrophysics needs that extra processing power to chart a brown dwarf or some poo poo

Oh come on we all know 95% of all computation power in the federation goes to holodecks related activities.

Also it really doesn't make much sense with the amount of science people who would be replicating their food daily, that there wouldn't of been just a whole bunch of them who would of figured out many different ways to make food not taste identical every time you get it. Like this seems something that should be pretty trivial to figure out, and even in Starfleet crew members often seem to have time to work on what ever side projects they just feel like.

I put people complaining about the food as people just like to complain about poo poo. I don't care how far humanities advanced, people love to bitch and moan about random stuff. Oh this stake isn't michelin five stars delicious. Complete garbage. Utterly unedible swill.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 28, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, she seems pretty chill but we do often just see her when shes having an argument. Outside her relationship with O'brien, there's very few times we see her. I think they might of meant to show her teaching a bit more, but as that's just a hard thing to naturally put in to any particular episode I think they only showed it like twice?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

As someone who is that messy, you don't know how it happens yourself. It just does. You were wearing your top and then you took it off to go to sleep and yep okay it's in the bathtub for some reason.

My personal theory is because "messy" people have some sort of gremlin'esq creatures who follow them around go and mess everything up when no one's looking. This is because messy people are just naturally more friendly, intelligence, good looking, witty, funny, charming, and just all around better people, which attracts these gremlin'esq creatures to them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
You'd think a discovery that big would be mentioned again. For one if it's still habitable than they really shouldn't have any issue finding space for refugees like ever again.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is it a perfect episode, like of course not, but if Move along home is the dystopian future that humanity is destined to be trapped in for the rest of it's existence, than yeah sure, so be it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, Nemesis is bad, but stuff sort of happens even if most of it is fake and didn't really happen. The Fight is just one long and boring dream sequence with badly done native American stuff.

Episodes of TV that are "It was all just are dream" are really hard to do right in everything other than plot light comedies, as it normally just feels like you completely waste of everyone's time. You're not twin peaks. Stop trying to be!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also the runabout itself. A bunch of people probably spent a lot of time making that nice little runabout than some one just recklessly goes and blows up all their hard work.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
THE PAH-WRAITH DID NOTHING WRONG!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Woop!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DflErrGcNI

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i never really watched boston legal when it was on the air, were those jump cuts and weird pans in the original? good lord that's distracting

I'd forgotten how wildly the shooting and editing was in that show, but yeah it was. I don't think the camera was ever still for the entirety of the show.

editing that show must of been a nightmare. Or maybe super easy, as like could anyone actually say you screw up? Spend most of an important dialogue scene on jittery cut-away shots of random objects in the room. Sure, why not!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Timby posted:

Homicide: Life on the Street, too.

It's always amazing when great shows like that come out to great acclaim, when people try and copy them they always seem completely not understand what made them great and just take some surface level style stuff that doesn't work without all the rest of it.

The shaky cam from the Bourne films was the worst for this I think. That ruined so many action films for at least a decade or two.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Will you be lost if you haven't played all infinity of the other games yet?

Just 1-1.54353 × 1014 Infinite sort of just ignores a lot of plot of the games after that. Fans pretty much agree that was a wise decision, that just went off in a whole weird direction. Soft reboot was a wise choice.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's a shame games are released that aren't just Stellaris mods. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

dukat seemingly acts rationally up until his heel turn into the space antichrist, which they wrote into the character because people weren't seeing why he was supposed to be a terrible person. wonderful villain

Which is hilarious as it wasn't like until than they were being subtle about just how much a terrible person he was.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thotsky posted:

The Federation-Cardasssian war having lasted as long is a bit of a mystery, but I think it is implied that multiple truces and peace attempts by the Federation were exploited by the Cardasssians. They're an empire in decline, if not broken.

I think it's also implied that the Cardassians put a lot of resources into the war and it was their main focus where as for the federation it was just one of many boarder conflict that if you have boarders as big as the Federation you just have to sometimes deal with.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tighclops posted:

TekWar is basically low rent knock off blade runner but made out of early 90's clip art and filmed in Toronto

I just thought Tekwar was some books and a video game didn't know it was tv show/movie. The movies up on youtube and was just skimming through it, and oh god is this part hilariously 90's goofy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_foClSWUbM&t=1842s

It's the contentious cutways to the b-roll of close up of the dog barking in wide angle that really puts it over the edge. Genius.

Like everyone involved in that scene must of known it was a joke right?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Boxturret posted:

Oh no, not Carmen Sandiego.

I never knew when you were playing those games you weren't playing kids trying to arrest her, you were apparently playing robot assassin kids trying to blow her up.

I'm so glad I sucked at those games. She was cool. She didn't deserve that. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

disaster pastor posted:

He looks like he got shown an assortment of fan reactions to Neelix immediately before getting into position.

I do hope he didn't get to much poo poo from fans. Neelix may of sucked as a character but that had nothing to do with his acting. Dude tried his best, really can't think of anyone who could of pulled that role off.

Okay maybe Vincent Price.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Where do you want this big rectangular wall? Oh, I should just leave it just anywhere and you'll sort it out later. Cool.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Picard also killed his timeloop doppleganer and he didn't even vaporize that one! Wonder what they did with the body?

Dereplicated, and it's fundamental parts re-arranged into many the Tea, earl grey, hot.

Circle of life and all that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Bashir was not the greatest doctor.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i really hope SNW does a theme planet episode

I just checked what's at the paramount backlot at the moment. It seems they can go to a New York world, an alley way world, or a park world.

But yeah they should go to a world based off the time when people showed off by wearing comically large shoes.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 7, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

that's what they all said. then they DIED.

The doomsday machine wasn't always a doomsday machine, it just tired of every planet it went to calling it stupid looking.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah it was pretty obvious the writers didn't seem to know what to do with Troi. That Guinan just worked a lot better in the counselor role certain didn't help, but even before that Troi often just seemed to be there, except at any point she might be able to instantly solve a problem.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

TNG did pretty good when it dabbled in horror.

I think it helped that in TNG it really felt like the ship was traveling through an infinitely large unknown void. A lot of shows make space just feel small bustling neighborhood, TNG made it felt vast and often very empty.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiberius Christ posted:

Only real trek fans listen to the opening every time, yes, including enterprise

I'd like to think there is a difference between being a fan and a large portion of ones brain to be missing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

DS9 theme has always been mid, ENT theme has always loving rocked.

DS9 theme sets up atmosphere of the show really well, and the changes to the theme reflecting the changes to the space station work really well. Just a great TV theme song.

The ENT theme was picked as all they had when they were picking the theme was a cd 40 best 90's love songs 17!!! and they chose one at random.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh that subs going to do a number on your back if you tried to use it for any significant amount of time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Futurama in 4k is really crisp.

Come to think of it, has any other show done the SD->HD->4k progression before?

Have any of those soap opreas that have been going on for 50 years or so gone on to 4k, as if so might even get B&W SD -> 4k.

I was going to say Dr Who but the latest season seems to just be on HD.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looking at what's actually available in 4k, and wow they really isn't nearly as much as I thought there would be. Haven't bothered to check for a while. Seems netflix started 4k streaming in 2014 apparently, and getting near ten years on from that it's still very, very far from universal.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm sure Microsoft could of made a ton of money off some sort of minecraft videos subscription service site or something.

You know that would be a site people -or their parents- would actually pay money to subscribe to.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Earth, the best of the best join Starfleet adn travel the stars. The rest never leave their room as they're scared if they go out side the moon will eat them and beside he magical wall fairy gives them every thing they need when ever they ask.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Maybe Starfleet shipyards build ships for civilian use too, we've seen a few civilian oberths floating around

So... what's the wait time on requesting a civilian Galaxy class, you know just for having some nice driving around wheels?

Asking for a friend.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

so ~30 years if you luck into getting one from the surplus auction.

Sweet!

Does bring up questions after a few centuries of space ship building, just how many private ships are floating around the Federation. You'd think by Lower Decks time at least around some places like earth would be busy as hell.

I think Yorktown was one of the few times on Star Trek they really showed places being really populated (probably a budget thing usually).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

It's Picard and all, but Picard S1 when they're leaving Earth the planet is basically wreathed in glitters in orbit, much more than Starfleet would account for.

Oh those were probably just the sad metallic tears from depressed androids or some such!

But yeah good to hear they did actually include that. Would certainly make earth night sky... interesting. Particularly spacedock. I assume that would be pretty visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

It would take so much air to pressurize that dock holy poo poo

Eh, there's gas giants near by you can just grab a bunch of water from and get as much oxygen as you need pretty much.

Plus even more hydrogen for I don't know, fancy blimp travel or something I guess :shrug:. I'm sure Starfleet could find a use for a whole bunch of hydrogen.